Quinn and Solways 'wise-man beards'

Post questions or suggestions here.

When you first seen Quinn and Solways pictures, did you find their beards a little much?

A) Yes, I thought it was a bit childish, its a vanity thing
25%
B) No, growing a big beard is practical, keeps the women away, and besides, shaving is a waste of time and money
33%
C) No, Just a coincidence
17%
D) It is simply this: like a woman wears skimpy clothes to seduce those seeking sex, Quinn and Solway use their big beards to lure in the seekers of truth....
8%
E) B and D, plus, they thought it was ironically funny to present themselves in such a cliched way, yet still be so truly deep and genuinely wise.
17%

Total votes: 12

frank

Post by frank »

I think I'll leave you to your cartoon world
Now, that is a statement I can respect.
When I'm in 'the experience' of 'empty and meaningless'....actually experiencing 'it'....the World appears as very cartoon-like...

people as stick figures...and what they are saying, isn't what they are saying...but just words inside a bubble...like those bubbles coming out of the mouths of the figures in newspaper cartoons with the words inside the bubble...

the words hide the truth.

It's all very cartoon-like while in the experience of 'empty and meaningless'....stick figures, words inside bubbles....playing biffo, bumpo...

In the experience of 'empty and meaningless' the World appears differently...
It has a 2 Dimensional, Cardboard Cutout kind of thing about it....It's not scary but it is funny...very funny.

When I'm in the experience of 'empty and meaningless'...actually experiencing it...I get the Joke.

When I'm not...when I'm in the 'narrow bandwidth of conciousness' that people share and that is considered 'normal'....the 'normal' wavelength people 'cling' to...to feel like they are 'on the same page'...to 'meet' each other in a way that is 'predictable'...that is like a 'worn groove' in a gramaphone record...that is familiar...where 'Truth' is a game of 'Hide the Parcel'...where it is far too difficult and painful to tell the Truth because the consequences are fearful....

Truly, when I'm in the 'narrow bandwidth of conciousness' that people share to make 'contact'....the Joke is on Me....

Because I'm not experiencing Nature as it really is...

Is there anybody here who has perhaps even the 'faintest' Idea of what I'm talking about?

I'm not drugged or psychotic or neurotic, I think, at least I pass the psyche tests OK...
....but there is an 'Observation Point' that's called 'empty and meaningless'...
....an 'Observation Point' from which it looks cartoony and very, very funny...

daffy duck...er....frank
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

David Quinn asked:
Do you disagree that Marsha is a drama queen?
How dare they?

The horror. The horror.

You figured they would all pile on.

I have stood my ground and I will continue to stand it.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Shardrol scolded:
And while I'm here - Marsha, it's exactly because of the way you latch onto something like being called a drama queen & keep bellowing about it with heavy-handed sarcasm that makes people think you're a drama queen in the first place.
I have not bellowed nor have I posted heavy-handed sarcasm. I have written truth and I will continue to write truth until I may be banned from this site for so doing.

It is not for ego that I have "latched" onto being called a drama queen. It is for the love of truth that I object to it. Name calling by a sage is the same as name calling by a non-sage.

Is a sage the same as a cop on these pages? Is it acceptable for a so called sage to have the freedom of name calling when someone else doing the same would be censured? Kind of like a cop smoking weed when arresting another for smoking weed.

I rightfully object to be called a drama queen or anything else derogatory. Over years of writing to Genius, I have proven that I have more to say than "drama."

What purely gets me is that David Quinn asks for agreement and you comply. The easiest road to take is anti-Faizi.

I reckon you must be a sage.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Loco wrote:
I don't know about the rest of you but this has always impressed me. The way David can character assassinate someone within the guise of enlightnment teaching. I doubt I could merge those two so seamlessly. He seems clueless to doing this himself, which is pretty amazing. How he could not see that I will never know.
Exactly my point.

Faizi
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

Marsha: Name calling by a sage is the same as name calling by a non-sage.
Now now, you know that's true only in that name-calling is name-calling!
(You've gotta behave like a sage to upstage a sage :D)

Not that you need me to be, but I'm anti-anti-faizi (which means I get to tease you sometimes and not get my head bitten all the way off.)

I like these worldly matters! We can be as human as we please down here.
MKFaizi

Officer Quinn

Post by MKFaizi »

David Quinn wrote:
I agree that Marsha is capable of some excellent satire at times, but more often than not her behaviour is simply governed by bitterness and envy. In general, I don't think there is enough loftiness and detachment in her abuse of others to call it "satire". Or at best, it is satire mixed with personal bitterness.
I have no personal bitterness or envy. I have not abused others here in years. I do not think of anything that I have ever written here in eight years as satiric. I have never written anything to Genius that I did not consider to be truth.
I should point out that the reason why I have been confronting Marsha of late is because she has been persistently disparaging the forum for being "too staid" and because of her recent proclamation that "philosophy should involve some dirt". So I thought I would take the opportunity to throw some dirt her way, which, for some reason, she didn't seem to appreciate.
I do think the forum has been too staid, i.e., conformist; complacent; tame; suck-upping; thoughtless; mundane; tiresome; redundant; cowtowing; herdly.

I do think philosophy involves dirt as well as the pure. I have not objected to David's dirt throwing except to say that he is like a cop. Cops arrest people for precisely what cops do. He criticizes me for being a drama queen while he continues to be a drama queen.

Since he is a cop, he reckons it is all right for him to be a drama queen. He can kick people out of the forum and, as cop, he can disparage others with enlightened authority while having the audacity to reckon that others will agree with him wholeheartedly.
Marsha loves to dish the "satire" out to others, but the moment anyone tries to dish it back her way, she goes nuts.

I have not gone nuts. I have written calmly and truthfully against your attacks.

In the past three or four years, I have endeavored to investigate and to understand criticism of me. In fact, I have turned "myself" inside out. I have endeavored to understand others.

What would you have me do, David? Surrender? Means nothing to me.
This makes her a hypocrite.
The Great Oz has spoken. Kiss of death.

You can rightly call me a lot of things but hypocrite does not hold water.

In eight years of writing, I have taken to heart everything that has ever been written to me; about me; about my convictions. I am well aware of every ugliness; every deceit; every delusion -- my own.

Having turned all personal fault and all delusion over and over again, I will not accept being termed a hypocrite or drama queen. I will not accept second fiddle to a lot of wanna-be's.

I have worked hard for years and I have come a long way. I do not believe that enlightenment is understanding of Weininger or Nietzsche or Haikuin or Buddha or Zen or even femininity.

Enlightenment is self direction on a path to knowledge; wisdom.

I do not care what you or others say of me. I set off on this path and I will finish it.

Neither your ugly hypocrisy nor the hypocrisy of others will stop me.

Faizi
frank

Post by frank »

The exact definition of a 'Drama' is this:
Perpetrator
Rescuer
Victim

They are the 3 Roles.

Somebody 'perpetrates' a 'perceived' injury on somebody else who feels 'victimised' about it...
Pretty soon another person 'feels sorry' for the victim and then perpetrates on the original 'perp'...this person is the 'rescuer'....
Suddenly, with the aid of the Rescuer...the original Victim feels encouraged and also 'perps' on the original perpetrator...
Then the original 'perp' is feeling victimised and another rescuer comes along to help out this original 'perp'...
Often what happens is the original 'victim' and the original 'rescuer' fall out at some point and wind up 'perping' each other out and new 'rescuers' come along to join the fun.

The Cops twigged about this and are reluctant to sort out 'domestics' these days.

It's basically 'musical chairs'.

It's incredibly Hilarious.

And you can see a lot of Suffering is Optional.

It's full of pride and hubris and you can see the Roles and the Dynamic in the Posts preceding this one.

In Faizi's Case....she's at Work and spots a Receptionist 'perping' on a 'Vulnerable' (victim)...then Faizi 'acts out' Rescuer and 'bawls out' or 'perps' on the Receptionist...

Faizi then comes here and 'brags' about how 'good' she was in doing what she did and how 'bad' the Medical Delivery System is...

This is quite correctly identified by David as Drama Queen.

David is quite correctly committed to 'telling it like it is'...speaking the Truth as a Teaching Method...not fearful of the consequences of Truth Speaking which are daunting for most People because 'speaking the Truth' can involve bruised egos and unpleasant reactions coming back at you..

The thing is David has to enter 'the Drama' and can 'appear' to be 'perping'...can 'appear' to be unkind...but I'm not sure his Motive is 'unkindness'...

...but let's give him Credit...he 'knows something' undoubtedly, and he's attempting to 'transmit' it...a difficult task...

And Faizi contributes 'wonderfully'

It's best to have it out in the Open.

frank
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Liposuction wrote:
she sure can't take a dose of her own medicine.
I have taken tons of it. Still taking it. I reckon I have taken tons of my own medicine more than others have taken it.

The very idea that I can dish it out and not take it is archaic. Very easy out for people. Ancient thinking.

Actually, I have never had my own medicine doled out to me. Some cheap shots but nothing approaching my own medicine.

Faizi
sschaula

Post by sschaula »

Edit: Nevermind.
Shardrol

Post by Shardrol »

MKFaizi wrote:Shardrol scolded:
And while I'm here - Marsha, it's exactly because of the way you latch onto something like being called a drama queen & keep bellowing about it with heavy-handed sarcasm that makes people think you're a drama queen in the first place.
I have not bellowed nor have I posted heavy-handed sarcasm. I have written truth and I will continue to write truth until I may be banned from this site for so doing.
What you present as truth is just your own subjectivity. It is your opinion that you don't bellow or post heavy-handed sarcasm. It is my opinion that you do. None of this has anything to do with truth.
It is not for ego that I have "latched" onto being called a drama queen. It is for the love of truth that I object to it.
I don't believe you.
Name calling by a sage is the same as name calling by a non-sage. Is a sage the same as a cop on these pages? Is it acceptable for a so called sage to have the freedom of name calling when someone else doing the same would be censured? Kind of like a cop smoking weed when arresting another for smoking weed.
This is quite funny. No one on this forum has done more name-calling than you, & you're still here.
I rightfully object to be called a drama queen or anything else derogatory.
Then how come it's okay for you to call others derogatory names?
Over years of writing to Genius, I have proven that I have more to say than "drama."
Well no one said you were nothing but a drama queen.
What purely gets me is that David Quinn asks for agreement and you comply.
What I said was actually meant to be helpful. I thought it was possible that you didn't understand why you seemed like a drama queen to some. Why would you think I'm particularly concerned to agree with David? Have I ever made a point of doing so in the past?

Maybe it makes you feel better to believe that I'm just 'complying' & don't really think you're a drama queen, though I doubt you care what I think of you anyway. You are just narcissistically wounded to have been characterized that way - by anybody.
The easiest road to take is anti-Faizi.
This is pure drama. I'm not anti-Faizi or pro-Faizi. What makes you think you have so much importance?
I reckon you must be a sage.
Did you mean 'stage'?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

frank,
In the experience of 'empty and meaningless' the World appears differently...
It has a 2 Dimensional, Cardboard Cutout kind of thing about it....It's not scary but it is funny...very funny.

When I'm in the experience of 'empty and meaningless'...actually experiencing it...I get the Joke.

When I'm not...when I'm in the 'narrow bandwidth of conciousness' that people share and that is considered 'normal'....the 'normal' wavelength people 'cling' to...to feel like they are 'on the same page'...to 'meet' each other in a way that is 'predictable'...that is like a 'worn groove' in a gramaphone record...that is familiar...where 'Truth' is a game of 'Hide the Parcel'...where it is far too difficult and painful to tell the Truth because the consequences are fearful....

Truly, when I'm in the 'narrow bandwidth of conciousness' that people share to make 'contact'....the Joke is on Me....

Because I'm not experiencing Nature as it really is...

Is there anybody here who has perhaps even the 'faintest' Idea of what I'm talking about?

I think most people here would understand what you are talking about. You are referring to an experience that is quite common and not very deep.

It is relatively easy to alter the mind so that it slips out of the normal pathways and opens up different perspectives on things. Most people do it through drugs, but you can also do it through concentration and thought. From the perspective of the altered mind, the normal conventional realities which people usually find so meaningful do seem empty and comical. No question of it. Anything can seem comical if you adopt a sufficently altered perspective on it.

But this is still a long way from wisdom. The ability to step back and discern the fundamental nature of all realities and perspectives - conventional or otherwise - and to solve all philosophical questions in a single flash of thought ..... that is a far more interesting attainment and much rarer.

-
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Shardrol wrote:
Did you mean 'stage'?
I think I am done here. God, I hope so. I am actually waiting my time until I can move into my small home. Once I do that, I doubt that I will bother writing here.

I mean, if I want abuse, I could just become a Sh'ite and beat myself on the back with whips in honor of Ali.

In the meantime, I can write to Genius. Same thing.

Most disappointing.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Reading the posts here again, I have decided that I will not post here further.

Faizi
brad walker

Re: Quinn and Solways 'wise-man beards'

Post by brad walker »

Judges 16:17 wrote:That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

brad walker wrote:
Judges 16:17 wrote:That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.
Well there's the issue of vulnerability. The Chinese wore long pigtails so that the emperor's executioner would have a convenient handle for your head. On a busy day, he could carry ten heads in each hand by the pigtails. Conversely, the Greeks shaved their beards so that an enemy mite not have a handle for your chin when he wanted to slit your throat.

In machine shop school, I saw a photo of a wire wheel, driven by a 1/2 hp electric motor, all covered with long hair that got ripped off some dude while he was trying to polish something. Since I still occasionally work with power tools, I do not have long hair.

Epictetus speaks satirically of those who go about with one shoulder bare, their brows high, and their hair long. In that same vein he mentions how Diogenes pointed out such a sophist, getting an angry response, just by using his middle finger to do the pointing.
Goddess made sex for company.
sagerage

Post by sagerage »

Cool thread, heh.

When I first saw QRS, I thought the beards were cool and matched up really well with their persona. I think it's a good thing. It made a much better impression, then if say, I saw them clean-cut and in a suit.

I use a trimmer (no razers) and I'm stylin a short goatee. I think it makes me look sexy and I've been told it's definitely a turn on for the ladies. It's a shame I no longer have a life.
xerox

Post by xerox »

Last edited by xerox on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

xerox wrote: For a beast, who like us men, has all the same flaws, foibles and animal smells and excretions, lm nor sure its worth the effort. In fact l can see why humans have developed the whole gender psychology (masculine/feminine) and behavioural embodiment (man/woman). The truth needs to be disguised and reality surpressed with all the smoke and mirrors of gender, for long enough for the sexes to get their hooks into each other.
True enough and you'll be surprised how many people are already aware of this need to disguise, the conscious choice not to see - too much. One only tends to forget. But lets not stop at gender dynamics. All what humans do, most of the day, is to make reality into something 'passable' for them. The techniques and materials vary but it's only easier to see seduction in the dance and prance of pairing. There seems to be a problem though when seduction stops and no further aim is present. Or in other words: better to be unborn than born dead.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

xerox wrote:Even when l do the grooming myself, l dont find it that difficult to repel women.
Only here would a guy find that something to brag about.
xerox

Post by xerox »

Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Xerox,

I think the women you repel have no idea how smart you are.
daybrown

Post by daybrown »

Epictetus said to walk that middle ground between being a fop and a fool; to keep the hair clean and trimmed, but not bother with what we now call fashion cuts. Likewise the clothes should be clean & comfortable. All this that those he meets may judge him properly as a sentient being, neither deranged in his appearance, nor a slave to fashion.

If they recognize him for what he is, then they will give him those reports that mite be useful, and not bother with gossip or trivia.
Goddess made sex for company.
xerox

Post by xerox »

Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Intelligent women are not repelled by intelligent men. You must be surrounded by the wrong kind.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:
xerox wrote:Even when l do the grooming myself, l dont find it that difficult to repel women.
Only here would a guy find that something to brag about.
Apparently, Elizabeth, you haven't spent much time in men's lockerrooms.