Subconscious success

Post questions or suggestions here.
SBN Charles

Subconscious success

Post by SBN Charles »

I expect i will learn something useful from the replies to this post, which i am happy with.

The idea:

Practising golf in my mums backyard, my aim was to hit the golf ball to a precise point on the ground approximately 30feet from me, i felt i had a really good feel for the distance of the shot, and lined everything up instinctively, although thats not the main, important point, i chipped the ball, and hit a nearby object, my golf ball tube which landed my ball exactly where i planned to hit it, my idea being that some subconscious influence had caused me to complete such a shot to ensure the completion of my objective, albeit being a more creative solution to hitting the shot and not really something that could be used in actual play, a question popped up in my mind, was it subconscious or was it down to chance? i.e. it was quite possible/ probable to mishit the ball in the direction of the golf ball tube. I could set up the same shot again in order to test whether it was down to chance, but the test wouldn't be fair because i wouldn't be able to re-create the exact same mentality, which would influence the physics of the actual shot by causing me to chip it slightly differently.

Could the same subconscious action be the cause of luck?

I can imagine the same situation on the actual golf course, however the main point to consider, aswell as completing the objective, which would have to be clear in the mind of the player before attempting the shot, would be the unconscious gathering of visual information before the shot took place, such information that would directly influence the actions required to be taken in order to achieve the objective, in my instance, it was the fact that id noticed the ball tube was there without concentrating on it or noticing its visual presence as an influencing factor when taking my shot, consciously.
Likewise a player on the course, with a few years experience playing, which would have caused him to learn the reaction to completing certain actions with the golf club i.e. if i swing it like this, this happens as a result, to the ball, being a conscious instance, but the subconscious, or unconscious instance could cause the precise shot required to be lucky.
hsandman

Re: Subconscious success

Post by hsandman »

Well if we accept that subconcious plays part in us "chocking" then i would imagine it also plays part in us "succeeding". which i accept. Now does it play such a large role in autcome of our actions as described above is good question.
Will have to look into it deeper. Maybe someone will comment on it ..
It's just a ride.