Are Humans Actually Evolving?

Post questions or suggestions here.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Ryan Rudolph wrote: You cannot know the future, you are talking out of your ass again.
Of course I can. Any thinking, open-minded person can....

The large boulder is rolling downhill towards a cliff; there's approximately twenty meters until it rolls over the edge; its mass, the angle of the slope, and the boulder's increasing speed will ensure it will roll off. I don't need a fortune cookie or a calculator or a degree in quantum physics to see clearly what's going to happen. It's literally a no-brainer. You don't even need logic to know what's going to happen; a sense will suffice.

(I'm not sure if you're acting this ignorant for your own immature and twisted amusement, or if you really are, but it could be the latter, so I should have more patience here. It could be you really have no clue about the history of civilization whatsoever. Everyone's ignorant of many things. )

When people settle down in an environment, remain motionless and start farming, they flourish---although this seems "good," they're thinking only of themselves (homocentricity) and strip the soil until it's infertile, and pillage the resources of the surrounding area until fuckall is left. Population grows and becomes unmanagebale = class structure (lower, middle, upper or ruler); government; trade; economy; religion. Wealth is accumulated by the ruling class = warriors formed (perversion of the masculine, the hunter) to defend it, and the rich themselves. Guess what happens? The population continues to explode until there's not enough food = people start to starve. More people + pollution = more disease = more unrest = more control by the ruling class = law. No resources = expansion outwards, consuming more and more like a horde of locusts (that's all civilized humans are, essentially: techno-locusts). Mass extinctions follow. Surrounding tribes get attacked and invaded, conquered, enslaved, assimiliated for those resources and the space they occupy = pretty much constant war for the last 11 thousand years, and science being developed to invent technology to better destroy, process resources, acculumate wealth, and make war with those in areas that have resources.

Many drivers (systems of government) have been replaced in the seat of civilization, but the result is the same: the beast keeps pressing down heavier on the gas, accelerating (although it was almost in neutral for a time during the Middle Ages). Waste and corruption expand as power expands, without exception; the society becomes decadent, despite religious attempts and moral precepts to prevent that, and gets conquered by another nation, which does the same thing with greater technology, used exclusively by those in power (to increase wealth and war power). Like an abused child, the technologically inferior society, tribe, or civilization is crushed by another technologically advanced as it itself had been---what happens to one nation, that nation ends up doing to another, like a raped child growing and gaining power over another. Eye for an eye makes this all the more bloodier. (Rome rapes Britannia, England rapes the Colonies, America rapes the world.)

So, from 5 million humans (on the entire planet) just before farming crap began to about 150 million by the appearance of Jesus, during the Imperial expansion of Rome, which, by the time it collapsed (employing much of the technology it gathered from Greece, et cetera, and taking no responsibility for it), led to nearly 500 million when Rome was first sacked. It remained, slowly increasing, through the Middle Ages (famine, starvation, disease---the Black Plague really making a dent in it---and war, combined with no real technological advancements, in medicine in particular, kept it all in check), which was the last time anything close to balance could be observed regarding humans and their environment. And then after 999 AD, when Christ didn't return and the Church began to lose its grip, the Age of Enlightenment soon commenced.

Some visualaids for perspective.

(If you're anal retentive about these sources, there are thousands of other ones. Just ask.)

By the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, 1850, human population reached 1 billion. It doubled, to 2 billion, in 80 years---by 1930. It reached 3 billion, in 1960, 30 years later. It reached 4 billion, in 1975, only 15 years later. It reached 5 billion, in 1987, only 12 years later.

And 8 years ago, 1999, it reached 6 billion. Currently, it's now passed 6.5 billion. Every four seconds another human adds to the problem, and another species goes extinct (in case you're a real fucking wanker and don't give a shit about the natural world, for its own sake, consider the only two things you eat that do not come from Nature---salt and water---and tell me how technology in the hands of greedy, lazy morons catering to other greedy, lazy morons is going to feed your grandchildren when we're over 8 billion and Nature exists only in zoos. Currently, science and technology caters to commercial, political, or military goals, and there's no evidence this will change; too profitable; too tasty; and people are too stupid.)

Couple all that human infestation with enough nuclear power to decimate the surface of the world many times over, shifting climatic patterns and global warming, thinning ozone and unrelenting (oh so "good" capitalist) corporate technocracy poisoning the future landscape of lost billions who, in their longer life-spans and longer leisure periods, do nothing but talk and play and recklessly consume more than they produce and don't give a shit because something funny's on TV...not to mention the utter deficiency of the collective human immune system and new strains of superbugs (bacteria, virusus) popping up exponentially...well, you tell me, how hard is it to see where this is going?

It's all a big blob, rolling faster and faster towards a cliff. I know what's going to happen.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: The planet is not tortured, you are, you are the one observing the destructive nature of man. The planet is not conscious, so I wonder if it is possible to be aware of the destruction without being bothered by it?
Huh. I'm beginning to wonder if you really are a spineless, soulless ego-driven shit-sack that cares for nothing but its own petty desires. Here you seem like a kid on a sinking ship, covering its eyes and repeating, "Everything's okay, everything's okay, everything's okay..."

This world is dying. Civilization is insane. Humans are illogical. You are illogical.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Masculinity is not roughing it like some sort of primitive savage, you are too extreme, you do not see the positive aspects of technology.
And you see virtually nothing at all; and never speak to me about masculinity again---you have utterly no sane conception of it.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: I don’t understand your logic, do you believe that a user of technology is more likely to marry a woman? I don’t see any correlation between the two.
Real men are not object-obsessed, or technology-obsessed; they make do with the least amount possible of almost everything.

The pure masculine is nomadic, resisting, independent, naturally developing an equilibrium with its environment; it is at home in the wilderness; it is fluid, spiritual. The feminine is material (Mater) and is stationary, attracting, dependent, naturally forming a hole or void into which its surroundings are drawn and absorbed (civilization itself is feminine); this formed over millions of years of evolution because females naturally needed to stay in one place to give birth, which made them vulnerable and needing protection. Back when males were actual men, not manginas---instead: hunters---following herds, the result was only basic technology (simple tools and weapons), everything geared towards nomadicism. It worked well because society kept moving; the hunting culture and Nature's influence kept it so. Only the feminine seeks permanence.

This went along just peachy for a long time until an Ice Age forced people south in Mesopotamia and for some reason (still unknown) they stopped hunting and specialized on gathering = farming = goddess-worship, feminine dominance; and then overspecialized = civilization.

The whole story's right here(Gilgamesh = the first king, mangina, "two-thirds-feminine;" Enkidu = Wild Man, hunter, masculine---the Native seduced from the wild by a temple harlot, corrupted, weakened, enslaved, and absorbed into civilization).

A "user of technology" is in woman's world and is born into it, just like I was, a slave to it, just like you are and almost everyone is. What's the difference between a farm and a computer, essentially? They both have a man fixed in one place, being feminine, thinking feminine, behaving feminine, serving feminine values and feminine interests, wanting instead of needing (instead of living according to only what is necessary). From your point of view, you're exploring and doing whatever---from another's, watching you, you're sitting in a box and staring at a box, not moving, not doing a fucking thing except clacking away on a flat plastic plate and clicking another plastic lump. (A magnificent illustration.)

The computer is the new farm; we are kept in place, controlled, distracted, our male natures completely inside-out; backwards---doing what women used to do for two million years. Gathering. Info-gathering.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: They have a limited capacity to build efficient and well adapted living structures.
Case in point. Thinking feminine.

Adaptation is only necessary when its necessary---living structures did perfectly fine with stone tools or even bows and arrows. Farming wasn't necessary---Native North Americans still prove this by their very existence (except they're in zoos today called reservations). Greed was the force behind technology, and it still is. As I showed above, we are nothing close to efficient---we've methodically become less efficient over time. Every good intention begets exploitation, waste and corruption.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: You are wrong, look at how complicated the English language has become just based on the last century alone, the additions to the English language has allowed humanity to be able to describe many more natural processes, and analyze them from many different disciplines. There is a relationship between the evolution of language and the evolution of technology, you are ignoring this blatant fact.
You're narrowminded = Homocentric, civiliocentric, techocentric, and Engliocentric. The Sioux had no such complicated language and they passed it generationally (without it needing to be written down, which just strips the environment needlessly), for probably 30 thousand years. English is the worst language on the planet, cumbersome and slopped together from Latin, French, et cetera, the most overly complicated and hardest to learn---that's not efficeint, or logical, or necessary. (u n0 wot i m3an?)
Ryan Rudolph wrote: No, I think it is the issue because If you cannot live what your saying, how am I supposed to? Ideally, philosophy is supposed to point to a way of living, and it must be attainable, meaning if one does it they must be able to keep their same plight-free circumstance. If I abandoned all my technology, more plight would be added into my life, so I will not do this. you see my goal is to decrease plight, not increase it.

When it comes to technology, one simply needs to discriminate between beneficial technology and harmful technology.

For example: I have no personal use for military equipment, or a xbox 360.

But having a prepaid cell phone with $10 of minutes loaded on it at all times can come in handy.

Or a fridge to keep your food cold and preserved. (*) People die each day due to food that has gone bad from bacteria/decay in countries without this technology.
Ugh. As I already told you, I've done it and am going back to it very shortly. It's not just knowing how to survive in the wild, which isn't hard, but also living with less, usually in utter poverty and being perfectly okay with it; every time I stayed put, getting involved with females (who always stay put), possessions accumulated, weakness and inefficiency increased, so part of it has been learning to live with loss (many types of loss) as well as less, letting go of everything I owned and getting back on the road.

I've tried to do it without any technology and no human contact, but it didn't work; so, no, I would never claim to be perfect or capable of being totally free of all technology or social interaction. I realize I'm a social being, and some very, very basic devices are necessary to survival, so I'll keep a few.

(*) As I've already demonstrated, that does nothing to dent overall human population. Disease is a natural process of curbing that---until humans detached themselves from Nature and took control of their own "evolution," used medical technology to fight disease, fight evolution, fight Nature. Are we winning? Did the population of Easter Island win anything, ultimately? Did Sparta? Did Rome?
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Wiser countries put less money into harmful technology over beneficial technology. For instance: Canada spends much more money on medicial technology than it does on miliary technology, and this is an intelligent thing to do.
1. There's no such thing as a wise country. Civilization itself is not sound, sane, intelligent, or wise. The arm of a drooling lunatic is not sane or wise, and neither is a country.

2. Ever heard the expression, "Enough rope to hang yourself?" How about: "Cruel to be kind?" Nature is cruel in order to be kind---humanity is kind in order to be cruel.

3. I wouldn't use Canada as any sort of example of being a beacon of prosperity or wisdom. I know this country inside and out---I live here, was born here, and was once deluded enough to be "proud" of it---and it's about as feminized as the US or Australia or the UK, or even most of Europe. Same shit, more pretty PC paint on the pile.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Canada is a much wiser country as a whole compared to a country like North Korea who puts much of their money into military technology instead into fundamental industries like farming, medicine, manufacturing and transportation.
Yes, and when more powerful countries use up their trees and oil, desertify their topsoils, suck all the minerals they can out of their mines, they'll point their military at us and force us to play ball. (The materials for technology come from Nature; materialism fuels its careless expansion.) It is inevitable.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

To Nordicvs,
The large boulder is rolling downhill towards a cliff; there's approximately twenty meters until it rolls over the edge; its mass, the angle of the slope, and the boulder's increasing speed will ensure it will roll off. I don't need a fortune cookie or a calculator or a degree in quantum physics to see clearly what's going to happen. It's literally a no-brainer. You don't even need logic to know what's going to happen; a sense will suffice.
Yes, but part of the cliff could collapse causing it to roll down a different trajectory, things can happen that one doesn’t have the ability to foresee. Predicting the future is always a rough speculation, and nothing more. It is never absolute.
When people settle down in an environment, remain motionless and start farming, they flourish---although this seems "good," they're thinking only of themselves (homocentricity) and strip the soil until it's infertile, and pillage the resources of the surrounding area until fuckall is left. Population grows and becomes unmanagebale = class structure (lower, middle, upper or ruler); government; trade; economy; religion. Wealth is accumulated by the ruling class = warriors formed (perversion of the masculine, the hunter) to defend it, and the rich themselves. Guess what happens? The population continues to explode until there's not enough food = people start to starve. More people + pollution = more disease = more unrest = more control by the ruling class = law. No resources = expansion outwards, consuming more and more like a horde of locusts (that's all civilized humans are, essentially: techno-locusts). Mass extinctions follow. Surrounding tribes get attacked and invaded, conquered, enslaved, assimiliated for those resources and the space they occupy = pretty much constant war for the last 11 thousand years, and science being developed to invent technology to better destroy, process resources, acculumate wealth, and make war with those in areas that have resources.
Yes, it’s a beautiful world isn’t it?
And 8 years ago, 1999, it reached 6 billion. Currently, it's now passed 6.5 billion. Every four seconds another human adds to the problem, and another species goes extinct (in case you're a real fucking wanker and don't give a shit about the natural world, for its own sake, consider the only two things you eat that do not come from Nature---salt and water---and tell me how technology in the hands of greedy, lazy morons catering to other greedy, lazy morons is going to feed your grandchildren when we're over 8 billion and Nature exists only in zoos. Currently, science and technology caters to commercial, political, or military goals, and there's no evidence this will change; too profitable; too tasty; and people are too stupid.)
Technology could help save the world and humanity by helping humanity destroy a large chunk of itself. I don’t see any problem. In our geologic past, large percentages of species and vegetation were completely whipped out, and guess what? Over time, new species and vegetation emerged, its not magic.
It's all a big blob, rolling faster and faster towards a cliff. I know what's going to happen
Life will probably just continue pushing on.
Huh. I'm beginning to wonder if you really are a spineless, soulless ego-driven shit-sack that cares for nothing but its own petty desires. Here you seem like a kid on a sinking ship, covering its eyes and repeating, "Everything's okay, everything's okay, everything's okay..."
It’s paradoxical, everything is not okay, but then again everything is okay – Subjectively speaking of course.
Real men are not object-obsessed, or technology-obsessed; they make do with the least amount possible of almost everything.
You’re conception of minimalism has taken you too far in an extreme direction, back up and reconsider your concepts.
The pure masculine is nomadic, resisting, independent, naturally developing an equilibrium with its environment; it is at home in the wilderness; it is fluid, spiritual. The feminine is material (Mater) and is stationary, attracting, dependent, naturally forming a hole or void into which its surroundings are drawn and absorbed (civilization itself is feminine); this formed over millions of years of evolution because females naturally needed to stay in one place to give birth, which made them vulnerable and needing protection. Back when males were actual men, not manginas---instead: hunters---following herds, the result was only basic technology (simple tools and weapons), everything geared towards nomadicism. It worked well because society kept moving; the hunting culture and Nature's influence kept it so. Only the feminine seeks permanence.
Have you ever studied the nomadicsim of Africa? It has been incredibly destructive.
The computer is the new farm; we are kept in place, controlled, distracted, our male natures completely inside-out; backwards---doing what women used to do for two million years. Gathering. Info-gathering.
Genius forum is much more than that, could you find the same sorts of discussions in an Amish Community or in an African Tribe? I don’t think so, Technology has made this extraordinary feat of human communication possible.
1. There's no such thing as a wise country. Civilization itself is not sound, sane, intelligent, or wise. The arm of a drooling lunatic is not sane or wise, and neither is a country
No civilization is absolutely wise, but some countries exhibit more intelligence than others. The western world is becoming increasingly interested in self-sufficient technology like Wind, solar, and alternatives. This is a positive development.

I just don’t think you’re accomplishing anything by abandoning civilization totally and living like a primitive, you end up isolated, confused, and second-guessing yourself as to whether you’re doing something significant.

I think it is an emotional response to the destructive nature of civilization, however if I don’t respond with pure emotion, then I don’t move at all, I stay within civilization, and promote its reform rather than it’s total destruction.

Civilization could destroy the world, but it could change over time in a positive manner. You cannot be certain of the outcome, there are intelligent individuals working within civilization to reform many of its negative affects. This is why technology becomes better, and more efficient over time.

Another example: Look at how the fuel economy of cars has evolved in the last 50 years, and it will continue to evolve.

In my view, man's biggest problem is curbing the popluation problem, if this was done, the use of technology wouldnt have the extreme affects that we are seeing now in the environment.

In an ideal world, with a low popluation, the use of intelligent technologies could be perfectly acceptable.
Nordicvs

Post by Nordicvs »

Ryan 'Yabbut' Rudolph wrote: Yes, but part of the cliff could collapse causing it to roll down a different trajectory, things can happen that one doesn’t have the ability to foresee. Predicting the future is always a rough speculation, and nothing more. It is never absolute.
Oh for crissakes, it is going over the cliff. Again: nitpicking details like a little girl...or just arguing for the sake of arguing.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Yes, it’s a beautiful world isn’t it?
Yeah, for the last eleven millennia.

(Where's your "Yeah, but technology is like Jesus---it'll save us!!!!!!123"?)
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Technology could help save the world and humanity by helping humanity destroy a large chunk of itself. I don’t see any problem. In our geologic past, large percentages of species and vegetation were completely whipped out, and guess what? Over time, new species and vegetation emerged, its not magic.
Oh, man. That's funny. I honestly hadn't read ahead to this bit.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Life will probably just continue pushing on.
Sure, after all the needless suffering and destruction and mass extinction brought about through the well-intended application of technology, life will go on. Probably microscopically; probably insects; not sure about anything more complex. (Until the sun goes nova and razes the planet itself. And then life will still remain, embedded within chunks of rock, drifting about, dormant.) Life itself cannot be extinguished.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: It’s paradoxical, everything is not okay, but then again everything is okay – Subjectively speaking of course.
I suppose. Depends on the point of view.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: You’re conception of minimalism has taken you too far in an extreme direction, back up and reconsider your concepts.
Why would you think that I haven't already done that? You think I read all this in a book last month and suddenly, on an impulsive whim, joined the 'cause' or something?
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Have you ever studied the nomadicsim of Africa? It has been incredibly destructive.
In what historical context?---in the last few thousand years or before that?

Answer's 'no;' North America provides a near perfect example---Maya and such being the exceptions---; I don't have to tediously examine every single other tribal culture. It's needless.

It seems that in regions not influenced by the pre-Sumerian farming types (the "Old World"), the tendency is that where there is no seasonal deviations of climate, the nomadic model doesn't work; where there is fertile soil, they eventually start specializing in gathering and exceedingly leave hunting behind. In northern parts (North America and northern Asia, the Steppes), nomadicity tends to persist.

*I suspect that the tribes eventually realized what happened to their environment (which was a sacred, spiritual place they cared for deeply; it literally was life itself) when they settled down, especially in colder climates (such as the Inuit, needing a semi-permanent dwelling for the winter), so this wisdom worked itself into their cultures, through stories and legends and such, passed down generally as traditions, maintained strongly.

In tropical and semi-tropical areas, with little-to-no seasonal climatic changes, coupled with abundance of plant life, the tendency is to stop moving around; and frankly, many tribes get...strange. Some examples work, it seems, so long as there is a good deal of rainforest, but that's a different model altogether.

(*This is how it seems to me; it's just speculation, haven't made up my mind yet if this seasonal change thing is on the mark or not.)
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Genius forum is much more than that, could you find the same sorts of discussions in an Amish Community or in an African Tribe? I don’t think so, Technology has made this extraordinary feat of human communication possible.
I know. I'm not denying that. My question, again, is---and you haven't answered the last couple yet---is it necessary? Perhaps the question needs to be rephrased and perhaps you can answer it honestly:

If some astronomical phenomenon struck the planet tomorrow, rendering all electrical generation systems and devices useless (no power anywhere), would you wither away and die?

(Shit, that would be glorious. That would separate the men from the little boys quickly enough.)
Ryan Rudolph wrote: No civilization is absolutely wise, but some countries exhibit more intelligence than others. The western world is becoming increasingly interested in self-sufficient technology like Wind, solar, and alternatives. This is a positive development.
That's your opinion. I see it as ineffectual lip-service to shut up all the whining "environmental-lists." Yunno, those conceited turds who want to act out their Christ fetish, save the world, have lions and tigers eating tofu, and feel the warm, smug, fuzzy glow in their elephantine egos...
Ryan Rudolph wrote: I just don’t think you’re accomplishing anything by abandoning civilization totally and living like a primitive, you end up isolated, confused, and second-guessing yourself as to whether you’re doing something significant.
From my point of view, you're the primitive, tolerating an insane construct and too mentally feeble and brainwashed to think of another way; a little sissy she-male who doesn't do anything without either money or praise as a reward, thinking of nothing outside the materialist bubble of your tiny existence.

Whether it's significant or not doesn't matter; it's the sanest choice I have found, and I've been looking very hard, for a long time, from a very early age.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: I think it is an emotional response to the destructive nature of civilization, however if I don’t respond with pure emotion, then I don’t move at all, I stay within civilization, and promote its reform rather than it’s total destruction.
Reform is irrelevant---you think that's a novel idea or something? Reform... More compromise, chatter, and no action.

What are you doing? DOING? Right fucking now? Huh? What actions are you taking for this "reform?" Other than talking about it occasionally, like the weather with a stranger, inbetween troll-and fairy-video-game-escape periods and day-dreams of being a Borg?
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Civilization could destroy the world, but it could change over time in a positive manner. You cannot be certain of the outcome, there are intelligent individuals working within civilization to reform many of its negative affects. This is why technology becomes better, and more efficient over time.
I'm as certain of the outcome as I'm certain of the outcome of brain cancer or gangrene.

Besides, nuclear power is supposed to be more effecient; logically, it is---and yet we have birth defects resulting, and meltdowns, and radioactive waste, which we're now burying deep inside the earth so that 1000 years from now it will toxify the surface instead of right away. Real fucking swift and responsible---but efficient...

So, please, do continue to explain how lost I am.
Ryan Rudolph wrote: Another example: Look at how the fuel economy of cars has evolved in the last 50 years, and it will continue to evolve.
Okay! You really are daft. I thought it might have been something else, but now I'm sure of it. CARS DO NOT FUCKING EVOLVE. Christ, we've been over this---you have the memory of a potato pealer...

Evolution: "the process by which different kinds of living organisms are believed to have developed, especially by natural selection."

Alrighty, Spock, I'm awaiting the logicizing brain-fart that leads you to the conclusion that cars are living beings...
Ryan Rudolph wrote: In my view, man's biggest problem is curbing the popluation problem, if this was done, the use of technology wouldnt have the extreme affects that we are seeing now in the environment.
How do you think the "population problem" got this bad? Voodoo?
Ryan Rudolph wrote: In an ideal world, with a low popluation, the use of intelligent technologies could be perfectly acceptable.
IF---big fucking if---this species could maintain a constant world population of between 10 and 20 million, then I'd compromise as far as saying that a minimal amount of technological devices would be acceptable, insofaras they are needed, not superfluous. (The material---materialism---for any technology has to come from somewhere, and it needs an economy (consumerism) to motivate people to develop it; since only one person knows how one part works (overspecialization strikes again), it needs a large population, management = government (slavery), which means power, which means corruption, etc...and we're back where we started.)

The odds of this happening are entirely infinitesimal. As soon as we come up with a manageable population model, some other techno-twit starts cloning people, all for that much-needed applause from the mustard-stained masses. Humanity is an organism whose right hand doesn't know what it's left hand is doing, and vice versa; they, it, we, are in constant conflict to any semblance of a "greater good." Name one thing all 6.5 billions could agree on? No other species is so overspecialized, coming in as many shapes and sizes (except for dogs, which we domesticated), and the result is a human organism growing fatter and fatter and tearing its teeth out to sell its gold fillings. It's insane. It's illogical.

The genius it would take to conceive of a techological system which does not lead to "better" (read: better for humans, worse for all other life = overall worse) technological advancements is beyond the scope of modern man. We are not nearly smart enough to STOP when we have it working right; we're too stupid to say, "Enough, this is good, let's keep things right where they are."

We're too fucking greedy and feminine to be satisified---more is the cry of the junkie. A corporate system can do nothing but care about money, and we're too busy counting our change to arrive at $19.99 to see that the sky is falling.

Civilization fosters all of this bullshit. Technology makes it easier to stay put. You've studied physics: what does a body at rest tend to do? What does a body at rest do when parked in front of the TV with all its needs taken care of, having nothing for which to strive except wants, wondering "why am i here?" because it has too much time on its hands and doesn't do anything but consume? Look around, the answer is in every living room.

More technology will only make it worse, as it's always done. We're not smart enough to stop using it and stop making it our cyber saviour.

And now we're just going in circles. Why are you so adamantly trying to convince me? I've gone over all this for longer than you've probably been alive. Besides, the issue is "Do humans still evolve?" In the strict true sense, no, they don't. In any sense, no, because something living needs a challenge in order to evolve---technology removes all challenges, makes it all easier, and (in the connotation of evolution, the homocentric one: advancement) therefore we will never "improve" as a species as long as we employ machines to make things better for us. We will only get weaker, stupider, and less sound.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Nordicvs wrote:
technology removes all challenges, makes it all easier
Exactly, and here we are, You and I have the luxury of having this conversation. In many other parts of the world that are simple so to speak, each person is working their balls off just to secure basic food, clothes and shelter, and they still live malnourished and without access to any type of education. At nights they exchange supersititutions that have been passed on from generation to generation. It is a very crude form of information exchange.

Information exchange increases the chances of intellectual discourse.

The computer connects the world with information, it is an powerful extension of the human brain.

Nordicvs wrote:
CARS DO NOT FUCKING EVOLVE. Christ, we've been over this---you have the memory of a potato pealer...
They do evolve in a mechanical sense, forget the biology and think in terms of an improved design as a result of countless failures, this is how cars have improved, their design becomes more intelligent and efficient over time.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Nordicvs wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Instead of examining a single computer it might help to look at computers relative to their environment (electricity grid, spare parts, factories) and their social context (network, data-exchange, software upgrades).
I have. They're unnecessary and they are not alive, neither in singular nor plural form.
Same thoughts I had regarding to humans and a few other animal and plant species over time. Changed my minds a couple of times.
nordicvs wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: It's similar to the way humans can be seen.
In an clumsy, generalized, homocentric way, sure. Not in terms of evolution. Computers do not evolve, despite your and others' dogmatic insistance that they do.
Better to look at evolution on the level of single cell organisms instead of limiting yourself to the apparent simplicities of larger scale complexity. Study relations between complex organic molecules to RNA to biological cells. Then tell me that the 'most simple survives' in nature.
Nordicvs wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Individually are they really more than a bag of water and some meat? How much redundant useless behavior and potential function can you spot in humans?
Plenty. So much that a better question is what is not redundant useless behavior in humans?
I'd say everything that works to something better, or different than itself. Or at least tries.
Nordicvs wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote: Anyway, computers do actually get simpler.
Are you dense?
Compare that Apple to current computers and you'll notice major differences in scale, component density, I/O capability, modularity, standardization, self-configuring chips, wiring (wireless) and pricing or repair services. Only a few dorks opened up their home computers back then, now everyone is fiddling with their 'graphic cards' and memory upgrades. Have people become more computer savvy? I doubt it.
nordicvs wrote: The abacus was the first computing device---everything since has been superfluous.
To do similar things as the Apple 1, how many abacus would you need? How would you organize and operate them all? Complex eh?
nordicvs wrote: Civilization and Nature are opposites, and not just by their very definition.
It can appear that way, sure. They're both life though and this 'nature' idea is only another artificial concept made by civilization weary folks. The discarded failures, not excluding necessarily myself here.
nordicvs wrote:Computers are not forms of life and never will be; they do not evolve, they do not adapt or mutate. They sit on desks and do nothing until we plug them into the wall and fart around with them.
Not unlike most folks really. So computers could be designed only to reflect our own dead end. What do you think of merging computer electronics with brain functions?

Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Nordicvs wrote:
Are you dense?
Compare that Apple to current computers and you'll notice major differences in scale, component density, I/O capability, modularity, standardization, self-configuring chips, wiring (wireless) and pricing or repair services. Only a few dorks opened up their home computers back then, now everyone is fiddling with their 'graphic cards' and memory upgrades. Have people become more computer savvy? I doubt it.
The interface of working on computers may be simpler, but the implementation of a modern computer is a hell of a lot more complex.
Diebert van Rhijn

Matt Gregory wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Nordicvs wrote:
Are you dense?
The interface of working on computers may be simpler, but the implementation of a modern computer is a hell of a lot more complex.
Not sure what you mean by 'implementation'.

Just take another example: Univac vs any pocket calculator.

Which one is easier implemented? Of course one will end up pointing at the complex mass production processes to create the miniature components, solar cells or whatever. So yes, the implementation is linked to mass production, streamlined and increasingly effective in producing smaller components who need less energy, maintenance and are often more standardized and interchangeable.

So I'd see a modern computer as more 'networked' into a huge industrial network of (increasingly efficient) component production. This network of dependencies can be called complex too. But isn't this the same distinction as calling single cell organisms (eg virus) simple and plants and animals 'complex'? Both simple and complex strategies appear to have a place in nature with evolution being quite active in both in different ways.

Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Diebert wrote:
Both simple and complex strategies appear to have a place in nature with evolution being quite active in both in different ways.
Yes, I agree, people that overvalue simplicity, while dismissing complexity only do as a means to confirm a rigid set of ideals that they feel should be in place.

If complexity in society is okay and actually necessary for any progress, then one’s hunter/gatherer theory is thrown out the window.

I wonder what the ramifications will be when technology evolves into a microscopic level of production?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'implementation'.

Just take another example: Univac vs any pocket calculator.

Which one is easier implemented? Of course one will end up pointing at the complex mass production processes to create the miniature components, solar cells or whatever. So yes, the implementation is linked to mass production, streamlined and increasingly effective in producing smaller components who need less energy, maintenance and are often more standardized and interchangeable.
Yeah. I don't think it actually matters what I meant, because the only thing that has simplified about computers is the interface we humans use to interact with them. By every other standard, they have gotten orders of magnitude more complex. And it's not just about the speed and processing power, a lot of it has to do with forming them around human expectations so they are easier to use. Most software code is geared towards this task.

So I'd see a modern computer as more 'networked' into a huge industrial network of (increasingly efficient) component production. This network of dependencies can be called complex too. But isn't this the same distinction as calling single cell organisms (eg virus) simple and plants and animals 'complex'?
Yep. But what's wrong with that?

Both simple and complex strategies appear to have a place in nature with evolution being quite active in both in different ways.
I think a complex solution to a problem is easier to find, because just due to the nature of complexity, there are going to be a greater number of complex solutions than simple solutions to choose from.
Diebert van Rhijn

Matt Gregory wrote:...the only thing that has simplified about computers is the interface we humans use to interact with them. By every other standard, they have gotten orders of magnitude more complex.
Okay, then what do you think simplicity is apart from the way humans experience it by interfacing in one way or another?
And it's not just about the speed and processing power, a lot of it has to do with forming them around human expectations so they are easier to use. Most software code is geared towards this task.
The function of computers has changed when over time their complexity increased the amount of possibilities. With this complexity came changes in size and connectivity (interface) that were not possible first. An Univac just doesn't fit in a chipcard for payment processing, nor would it be fast enough to do the calculations. So this example shows how it became simpler to find all kinds of applications for computers. Simpler is here: more affordable and practical. What else?
Matt Gregory wrote: I think a complex solution to a problem is easier to find, because just due to the nature of complexity, there are going to be a greater number of complex solutions than simple solutions to choose from.
Exactly. Complexity seems in general better geared toward finding multiple solutions for ever changing circumstances. Adaptability. Exceptions would then only confirm the rule.

That is why we can see a mixture of simple and complex organisms surviving through evolution. We can see organisms specializing in effectivity, for example sharks. For increasingly complex organisms it becomes increasingly tricky not to become too vulnerable and clumsy.

Perhaps this is why self-consciousness and intelligence would arise out of complexity? As a gamble toward survival of the monstrousness?