Look in your own eyes, then consider this

Post questions or suggestions here.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

I don't get it. Prince, are you considering plastic surgery? I think this type of cosmetic surgery is over the top.
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

I like these quotes from Jennifer:
When so many people do it, you don't think you're doing something wrong.
My mother is like my God.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Yes, those quotes really say it all.
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Very strange.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I truly believe all Photoshop style software ought be confiscated from your computer immediately.

Ring ring - "Hello? Is that Homeland Security? I have an urgent matter........it's about aliens...."
Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

Hahaha. But it's so much fun.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Sure, but at the very least you'd think you'd do more than just change the colour of your skin. Not very inventive of you ask me :)
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

Chinese doctors Ru-yao Song and Ye-guang Song wrote in 1985 that "double eyelids can be considered important in a certain functional sense. In addition to the unbecoming appearance of a single eyelid, it may interfere with the expression of emotion.
Whereas a totally expressionless face could be expressing anything, and show one a glimpse of God. No fishing for anything.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

"I think that all females want to look better"
Better, according to some norm laid upon the soulless about what defines beauty. Which is largely transmitted by media and fashion, which contains its own subtle signs and twisted psychology.

A more extreme example of this would be:

Italy issues new code to stop ultra-skinny models
Italy's government and its fashion chiefs issued a manifesto on Saturday to crack down on the use of ultra-thin teenagers on the catwalk, requiring models to show proof of their good health or be barred from fashion shows.

The charter also bans the use of models who are under the age of 16, saying they risk "sending the wrong message to girls of the same age in the delicate pre-puberty stage."
Just to prevent them from killing themselves trying to become like their 'gods', I suppose.

What message or ideal is behind 'ultra skinny' anyway? An imaginative compensation to the real materialist piggishness?

DHodges

Spinners

Post by DHodges »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:What message or ideal is behind 'ultra skinny' anyway?
I think it has to do with wanting to look very young - pubescent or just barely pre-pubescent.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

I don't see it as an attraction to prepubescents, but rather more a revulsion toward fat on the body. It has a lot to do with an ideal for western cultures in which food is so prevalent. The images of 180cm humans weighing 40kg goes against the grain, in the same way a fashion designer goes against the trends of the previous year's designs. There is no desire to parade the common.
Kelly Jones

Post by Kelly Jones »

No, ultra-skinny means "incapable of finding its own food". The waif is easily dominated. Being a skinny waif means one is very likely to get a male partner, because almost any male will feel strong enough to capture one.

Men get sucked into an easy life in the blink of an eye.

I wonder how masculine the males are in races where young nubile females are always HUGE hunters? What happened to the Amazons (supposing that wasn't a myth)?

Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Interesting female POV.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

I ran a fresh thread on a pro-ana site to give you some actual answers from people who want that kind of thinness. I edited out the names and some of the commentary.

I know this question's been done before, but here it is again...

Why do you want to be stick thin?
My answer's the same all the time... and it still is a voice in my mind in recovery... I want to be so thin that people will not believe I was ever anything other than thin. I want to magically undo the past.
This is really a hard question for me... Cause I'm not positive why exactly I got into this... why I started destroying my body like this...

All I really know is that in my head I am worthless when I eat. Everytime I pick up junk food of any type I hear "you fatass what are you doing? You are already huge why do you need to be bigger. You are worthless you can't even control yourself."

I guess it's a control issue for me... But also in part I think its like my security blanket.
Because I used to be stick thin.
That's my main reason.
And I just can't get used to having extra fat on me.
because i was brainwashed into thinking that the only bodies that are beautiful are pre-teen/pre-pubescent girls'.

because i see my ed as a "slow" act of suicide.

because i want a sense of power over nature.

because i want to be loved, not only by others, but by myself.

i know the last two sound terribly vain, but i honestly don't mean to sound vain
To possibly feel accepted

To accept myself

To feel control in my life

To be as far away from my overweight past as I can

To spite everyone that ever hurt me (dumb i know)
That sense of acheivement

So people will stop looking at me like I'm faking something

To die?
To be in control

Because I don't recognize the average-weight person in the mirror

I think my boyfriend found me more attractive when I was 105 pounds than now at 138 pounds

I want to fit into clothes easily
Because I hate myself (it is rather like a form of self-harm)

Because an ED is addictive

coping mechanism

way to deal with the insanity inside and outside of me

death drive?

I feel better about myself and life when I look like death *shrugs* :|

there is no logical answer; EDs are FAR from rational...
Honestly? I don't think i've got a clear answer for this one... :rolleyes I think cuz i've always struggled with my self, with my body, feeling safe... And one moment i realized i didn't feel that much anymore... that was when my zillionst diet went further than 'just' a diet and i became attached to that numbness. :| I'm not really striving to be 'stick thin', but i just wanted to 'disappear' slowly... Hm... dunno if any of this makes sense at all... i'll shut up now... :\
To be in control
To feel my mind is stronger than my body
To feel a sense of achievement
To feel safe like nothing or nobody can hurt me
To feel accepted by others
To feel accepted from myself
"Everytime I pick up junk food of any type I hear "you fatass what are you doing? You are already huge why do you need to be bigger. You are worthless you can't even control yourself."

couldn't agree more
because I am a masochist that hates blood
My self esteem is so screwed up that I feel like I don't deserve food - like it is a luxury and I am guilty of avarice.

Because my job gets so freaking stressful that I always feel incompetent. But if I lose enough weight at least I will look more competent on the outside.

This is one area I can not only control, but do it on my terms and with my rules.

I isolate so often that I'm living in my head where I hear fat, lazy, selfish, stupid . . .
to feel stronger than anyone because of my will to be thin.
to feel controled over my life
to feel power of my life.
to feel the best (even though i never will)
to be different
because i can't stop:(

(i don't even like the way i'm looking these days...if i didn't have my supid ana voices yelling at me, i would have stopped a long time ago...i'm starting to look ugly thin.) but i feel so damn fat
because i dont ever wanna be labled as the fat girl ever again
Because I feel that once I'm thin enough, I'll actually be happy. And the fact that that hasn't happened means I'm not yet thin enough and need to keep losing.
i dont want to be stick thin
i want to have no body fat and lean muscles.
i think fat is disgusting and i think being super toned is hot.
i want control over my life
i want direction
I'm mia not ana but I'll answer this anyway...

-b/c my father has always called me fat and i want to prove him wrong
-b/c i want ppl to take the time to talk to me and get to know me, and i feel that they'll want to more if i don't look so disgusting
-b/c i want guys to like me (shallow i know)
-b/c i don't feel worthy of food or the space that I take up
-b/c i hate the creaking sound floors make when i walk

There's more but that's all i can think of off the top of my head.
I want to see how far I can push myself.....death does not scare me.
To scream without opening my mouth.
To tell people Im not as resilliant as they think.
'to scream w/out opening my mouth'

wow.that hit me in a way.

thats exactly how it feels....
to feel that i am worthy of some kind of accolade/attention.

because ihave never felt at home in this human body, like it is some foreign creature that is trying to kill/consume me. i'll kill it before it has the chance.
To have control, to hurt myself maybe?:\ Sure there's a lot more reasons...
Because I hate having fat on me. It makes me feel disgusting and dirty.
I also want to see how far I can push myself.
Because of the intense self loathing.
It's an odd one. No logical reasons really.

Quote:because ihave never felt at home in this human body, like it is some foreign creature that is trying to kill/consume me. i'll kill it before it has the chance.

Quote:To scream without opening my mouth.

Those two really hit home. That is just how I feel which I could never put into words.

Quote:'to scream w/out opening my mouth'

^^ excellently put... exactly how I feel.

I want to be in control
I want to have mind over body
Because I am not worthy of food
Because I can't put on any more weight
To shock people... as weird as that sounds
Wow, are you all in my head? I can say ditto on almost every single post. It makes me feel less alone.
because it is a goal that's hard but I can reach and I'm not afraid to try (unlike other goals in my life)

Because it (temporarily) makes everything else in my life go away

Because I can waste the pain away

Because I can hide inside my thinness and everyone will leave me alone when I'm sick enough
all of them, none of them, i dunno.who cares why?why won't make me any happier.

Quote:To scream without opening my mouth

Beautifully put and so true.
To feel 'I' at least control some aspect of my life
I want to hurt myself
I don't deserve any better
I want my brothers to be able to lift and carry my coffin
Pye

Post by Pye »

When a human female falls below [I think it's] 13-15% body fat, she can no longer sustain menses, and hence, is no longer fertile. It's the secret history of every gymnast, ballerina, model, auschwitz prisoner, and garden-variety anorexic, and skinnyness has been with us as a cultural standard since world war I.

Perhaps something else is afoot, something large scale and organic, and species-wide. When we worship thinness, we are worshipping the picture of infertility.

Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Pye, I feel the same way about widespread homosexuality (another form of infertility), war (which should thin out the superfluous males), and the fact that philosophers (and before that, shamans) are historically very bad with women (their energies -- as far as the species is concerned -- need to be spent on things other than accumulating wealth for female childrearing).
Pye

Post by Pye »

Well Trevor, we are not lab rats, but when they are put deliberately into an overcrowded cage, birth rates dramatically drop to near-nil, aggression significantly increases, and male rats will hump other male rats. Sorry, it was a long-ago read study, so I cannot provide everyone the obligatory link.

Philosophaster

Post by Philosophaster »

With suburbanization, I think overcrowding is actually decreasing in many industrialized countries (someone can correct me on this if I am wrong). I think that the relationship between infertility and wealth is stronger than that between infertility and overcrowding.
ExpectantlyIronic

Post by ExpectantlyIronic »

I dated a girl once who had begun to develop bulimia. She was one of the most intelligent, rational, outgoing individuals I had ever met; but had suffered through a rough childhood, and had severe depression that I can only imagine came from her terrible self-image. The whole thing scared the living hell out of me, and I still shudder to think about it. Knowing that someone you love is acting in such a seemingly insane self-destructive way is incredibly difficult. After she had overcome it, she told me that her motivation was a desire for control over some aspect of her life. I don't pretend to understand it fully, but I don't imagine such things can be understood by someone who hasn't been there. All I know is that if I ever somehow ended up having kids I'd sure as hell instill in them personal confidence. Such things are damn important.
DHodges

Bulimia: Spinners

Post by DHodges »

ExpectantlyIronic wrote:I don't pretend to understand it fully, but I don't imagine such things can be understood by someone who hasn't been there.
I dated a girl (a long, long time ago) who was full-on bulimic. To try to understand what bulimia was about, I read this book:
My Name is Caroline

Just reading it gave me a fucked-up relationship with food for a month or two. (Her constantly repeating that many people don't become bulimic until they read about it didn't help any.) Maybe this is something that you really don't want to understand fully, like you don't really want to fully understand why serial killers or necrophiliacs are the way they are. Can you really understand it without getting a little bit of it in you? I think it's unhealthy to dwell on it too much.
millipodium

Post by millipodium »

Pye wrote:.

When a human female falls below [I think it's] 13-15% body fat, she can no longer sustain menses, and hence, is no longer fertile. It's the secret history of every gymnast, ballerina, model, auschwitz prisoner, and garden-variety anorexic, and skinnyness has been with us as a cultural standard since world war I.

Perhaps something else is afoot, something large scale and organic, and species-wide. When we worship thinness, we are worshipping the picture of infertility.

This is part of the death meme. Nihilism. nothing, including life, has any instrinsic value. Elite thought is a trojan horse with death inside it.
DHodges

Nihilism rules! Too bad there is nothing for it to rule

Post by DHodges »

millipodium wrote:nothing, including life, has any instrinsic value.
It's so true.

Hail Satan! Death is cool!

Nihilism is the postmortem postmodernism. Really, really black is the new black.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

No tattoos, makeup, piercings thru my wang, circumcisions, no halo mounted above me noggin'.

Hey! Somebody wants to change their eyelids (the look), go for it... but with no tax subsidy please.

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Tharan

Post by Tharan »

millipodium wrote:This is part of the death meme. Nihilism. nothing, including life, has any instrinsic value. Elite thought is a trojan horse with death inside it.
Whether or not the Nihilists and Goths have adopted it, does not detract from its veracity. The value may not be intrinsic, but it is certainly present in every case. Value and meaning are given by those that are alive.