Nick

Post by Nick »

CLASSIC!
Blair

Post by Blair »

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
Tharan

Post by Tharan »

Well technically, we are apes, not monkeys. HUGE difference. Monkeys are probably smarter.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

Sum’s what up? That all the “monkeys” on this planet are idiots and therefore nothing any of them say or do can be taken seriously? Hang on, isn’t that just more of the postmodernist crap that is already spread thickly and widely across most people’s minds?

And what about the line in the video where he says that monkeys are “cursed with consciousness” - what the...?

It also states that we are the only animal to "hate" – Yes, we are the only animal that inflicts pain and injury on each other over territory and mating disputes. ?!?

The video is just lame - not "funny".

-
Sue
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hmm, it was the lame stuff I laughed at. Must be just me.
sue hindmarsh

Post by sue hindmarsh »

On their own, some lines from the video could be considered comical – such as the “cursed with consciousness” line, as many folk who do possess consciousness feel horribly cursed by it, and do everything in their power to free themselves from it. But when this line is pressed into supporting some of the themes the author promotes – well then, it just seems lame to me.

For example, what did you make of these themes: We "monkeys" aren't really special because we are nothing more than just monkeys, but we really are more special, because we are more than just monkeys. Proof of this is in the fact that we have the potential to stop hating one another, and instead love each other and the planet we live on. Also, we're good at creating civilizations, though this hasn't helped us love or care for each other any better. If we could learn to accept our monkey status we would then perhaps begin to give each other that care and love and thereby allow each and everyone of us to find the fulfillment we so much desire.

But obviously you saw things in the video that I missed. Or perhaps I just have a very different sense of humour to you. Anyway – tell me what bits tickled your fancy, and why?

-
Sue
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hahaha. Don't "work" me Sue.
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

The truth of it tickled my fancy because it was so true, and the parts of it that one might consider untrue could also, in another context (the one the video explained) be considered true. That is one of the fundamentals of humor, being able to see things in multiple contexts (like puns).

Eh, neurologists rarely have a sense of humor either.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I thought it was serious, disturbing, funny and beautiful all at the same time. It illustrates how feeble the species is as a whole, but by illustrating the problem, the solution becomes self-evident.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

That video is way too positive. One can only dream of being a blissfully ignorant ape, of pure blood!

Truth is, we're the bastard offspring of God's bestiality.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I agree, it had multiple facets. I probably labeled it badly. However, the part that I found funniest was the Nietzsche part. I've seen that sentiment expressed so many times that I automatically laugh at it. Why? Because they only select him and seek to denigrate and downgrade him because they fear him...

like monkeys.....
Nick

Post by Nick »

Although much of the video was actually quite disturbing, the funniest part was when he refered to cities as "monkey hives", hilarious! Monkey hives... ha!
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Dan,

I think the label was just fine.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

"Nietzsche was just another monkey."

So, with six billion monkeys on the planet, there should be plenty of "Thus Spake Zarathustra"'s just round the corner.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

The film is third rate commentary. High school level.

Dan, have you lost interest in enlightenment? Why are you spending so much time in monkey mode, dredging up crap like this, and hanging out in the social chat rooms and forums these days?
Good Citizen Carl
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

What?

Give us something first rate, by all means.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

I find the video presumptuous. "We're all just a bunch of monkeys," doesn't explain anything unless you know everything about what it means to be a monkey.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Oh, for crying out loud, you had to see the..........
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

That's very insensitive of you. I have a rare blood disorder that makes ellipses hard to see. In fact, I had to read your post several times to see the ones you used.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

drowden wrote:What?

Give us something first rate, by all means.
All right. I have. My questions to you are first rate.

Why the defensiveness?
Good Citizen Carl
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Grow up.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Wow,

"whatvacx cxzlkvlklkjlkjlkvjcx"

cool
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I hope we made a decent curry..
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Grow up.
Funny, that's exactly what I wanted to tell the director while I was watching the video. It seemed so juvenile.