Moderation issues

Post questions or suggestions here.

Moderation issues

Postby jufa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:46 am

[split from viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7697]

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
jufa wrote:I truly understand your position encode, for censorship, and manner of speech to another, by an individual who does not follow the guideline of the board is frustrating. This forum use to be alive. Every post was brisking with answers, now just look for yourself and see how far and in-between post are being posted.


You are taking some effect and invent possible causes. From each ten thousand forums started around 2001-2004, 9999 have perished altogether. It's perfectly okay for this forum to be quiet after it ran its course. If anything, many people stopped visiting because at times the mindlessness and other abuse on display became a bit too much. Or they just had other things to do.

Restriction brings about animosity. Of course this is only my opinion, but is not philosophy a unrestricted venue?

He was not given any restrictions though. He appears to have been running into his own limitation and sensitivities. Also he kept substantially changing his original posts after the conversation already move on. That's a bit odd.

And now suddenly leaving, erasing, removing accounts? I think E.D should have stayed and worked it out, something was bugging him from the start (a passive aggressive thing if you ask me). In general I didn't mind his posts at all. It was unclear what he wanted though, just thinking out loud I suppose.


Diebert, we are not talking about other boards here, we are talking about the Genius Forum. It has survived. it is still up and running. yet, because of attitudes, or dislikes on the moderator part concerning certain individuals, and what they post deemed to be from a high minded person, and spamming post, contrary to the guideline,
Genius does not necessarily discourage or denounce ideas and beliefs, only the false reasoning that underpins them. This is the essence of what serious philosophical inquiry ought be. Overt attempts at spamming or disrupting the board for malicious purposes or continual gratuitous abuse of members will not be tolerated. Other than that the theme is, basically - go for it
banning is an issue, Example:
Message subject: Board warning issued
From: Diebert van Rhijn
Sent: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:17 am
To: jufa
Message

The following is a warning which has been issued to you by an administrator or moderator of this site.
Quote:
Your thread was removed as I consider it spamming. They are just proclamations and you have not shown willingness or capacity(?) to discuss your contributions. Your next attempt will be a permanent ban. Just try once to read and comment on what others are saying, no matter the topic. Come down from your thrown!


This particular warning came because of a political post I posted. Yet, I find when David Quinn resumed posting again after a long absence, his first post was political and degrading to Kevin Solway which is outside of the guidelines: see Statement about Solway and Trump.

I say people stopped visiting because of your censorship and partiality.

Now you say "He [encode_decode] was not given any restrictions though. He appears to have been running into his own limitation and sensitivities. Also he kept substantially changing his original posts after the conversation already move on. That's a bit odd." but you cannot say the same for me, and who knows how many others because of your feelings towards them, and the topic they post. You are the only individual who complained about my post, respond to, and in post, and when I came and went, as well as what you deemed to be my high throne approach.

Be fair to people is all I am saying, don't allow your attitude to become self-righteous towards them. This post may get me banned, but life moves on, or run it course as you stated Diebert.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
jufa
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Postby Diebert van Rhijn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 am

jufa wrote: It has survived. it is still up and running. yet, because of attitudes, or dislikes on the moderator part concerning certain individuals, and what they post deemed to be from a high minded person, and spamming post, contrary to the guideline

There have been over the years various moderators active here, all banning, moving threads, closing and even deleting them! Most of it you even haven't seen so you just think it didn't happen. The difference you seem to make here is that you started noticing it when it happened to you or someone whispered to you >I< was doing it from all sinners. Or so it seems.

Me: Your thread was removed as I considered it spamming. They are just proclamations and you have not shown willingness or capacity(?) to discuss your contributions. Your next attempt will be a permanent ban. Just try once to read and comment on what others are saying, no matter the topic. Come down from your thrown!

Yes I deleted the topic "Only vessels” as I considered it spamming since you had started a few more of those already. Note that the exact same text was posted on two other sites by you. And it were not conversations: they looked like pamphlets.

But I admit this happened in a midst of an attempt I made on the forum to raise standards during a time when not much of philosophical value was being posted at all, which I feel qualified to judge. The forum was starting to sink back again in a sea of muddled thought, self-advertising, new-age mumbling and drunken rants. If anyone wants to make the case that trying changing that was not "supposed" to be my task, as if I had some kind of job description, a boring conversation might follow.

You said "He [encode_decode] was not given any restrictions though" ..... but you cannot say the same for me, and who knows how many others because of your feelings towards them, and the topic they post.

But I wasn't talking about anyone else. You do now! You've something bugging you! Which is, of course, fine, to bring it out.

You are the only individual who complained about my post, respond to, and in post, and when I came and went, as well as what you deemed to be my high throne approach.

You've started at least ten threads on this forum where nobody ever reacted on. And another ten where only low quality responses appear from people who were banned by Dan or David at some point (not me! or are those you think "left"?) So we could also say you're so far not attracting a very good audience then.

This post may get me banned, but life moves on, or run it course as you stated Diebert.

As long as you're willing to have a conversation, that would never happen. But I do think you might benefit from some more focus and resistance. Which I'm happy to provide.
User avatar
Diebert van Rhijn
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:43 pm

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Postby jufa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:35 am

Diebert, there have been a many threads posted here where no responds came, or few responses. The issue is not whether there is a response, it is are they being read. Low quality or lack of attention is not a subject put in the guidelines of this forum, but "go for it" is.

And of course I am going to speak out when it happens to me. Had other spoke out because of your partiality of who and what is to be posted here according to Diebert, you would have received more agitation to such behavior. I did not respond until now because it was not an open issue for fear of being banned. But it is an issue in this thread, as another post you are actively in right now with another member who also states you are incompetent to "monitor" their post, and was going to write Kevin Solway concerning your moderating.

The guidelines do not say censorship anywhere. And why would you ease drop on what member are posting on other sites? You speak on ten of my post which received little or no response. But you failed to mention the many post of mine, and lengthy of other post I participated in along the way. And should it be noted, all my post are statements, which could be considered spamming from your point of view.

On well, this conversation between you and I have overstated in time. You are the moderator, all I ask is leave your attitude at the door, and be fair. I'm not asking for equality, I'm asking for justice shown towards all members.

I say you should post the article/pamphlet "Only vessels” you depleted [which were not depleted as spamming anywhere else] and let the member decide if you did the right thing. I have voiced myself, and need not go any further here. Thank you for allow me this.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
jufa
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Postby encode_decode » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:07 am

@Diebert - Please understand that by raising these concerns we have a much clearer understanding of acceptable behavior on this forum - I never wanted to come here and misbehave - I might have approached it in a rather unorthodox way but now at least I am getting a more defined understanding of what constitutes conversation here.

I have been reading many posts including your own and what I see overall is impressive. There was only a hint of inconsistency to me and that is the only reason I ever made anything of it. I take responsibility of my misinterpretations and endeavor to focus on the main theme of the forum being enlightenment.

Anyhow it seems your are a reasonable person so I have nothing more to add except that I hope we get into good conversations involving enlightenment.

@jufa - I am glad you are still here - I am glad I am still here - I am glad we are all still here.

@Pam Seeback - Let me put this simply as I am very tired through lack of sleep: Thank you :)
encode_decode
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Postby David Quinn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:02 pm

jufa wrote:This particular warning came because of a political post I posted. Yet, I find when David Quinn resumed posting again after a long absence, his first post was political and degrading to Kevin Solway which is outside of the guidelines: see Statement about Solway and Trump.

That was my fault. I just barged onto the forum after a few years away and began that political thread as though I still owned the place, without considering the views of Diebert and Russell who are now the moderators. They were good enough to indulge me out of respect, but it did place them in an awkward position. I apologize for that. Diebert, if you want to move the thread, then by all means do so. Meanwhile, I'll try and behave like a normal poster.
User avatar
David Quinn
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 6:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Farewell Everyone :)

Postby Diebert van Rhijn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:00 pm

jufa wrote: The issue is not whether there is a response, it is are they being read. Low quality or lack of attention is not a subject put in the guidelines of this forum, but "go for it" is.

This is a discussion forum, not a place to hang notices or just distribute your own work. It's true that quality is not a specific guideline. Although some things might get moved if it doesn't relate to the forum purpose. But try to understand why I considered that thread I deleted as spam. And you're acting like something was destroyed while it's still available on at least two other places.

right now with another member who also states you are incompetent to "monitor" their post, and was going to write Kevin Solway concerning your moderating.

But you don't know anything about the issue. In any case I did talk with Kevin about it and all I can say is: don't expect anything to change. There's this strange meme being spread that I'm doing something entirely different than other moderators have done. Mind you that I have normally a long history, personal knowledge or contact before I'd decide on any rash action. It's just not something I'm going to explain on the forum. It's just not anyone else's business really.

And again you don't address what I told you and are just repeating you earlier grievances. People got warned and banned also before I was asked to moderate and I remember a few cases where I didn't agree with the bannings either. Whole threads have disappeared in the past including my own posts in it because of a moderator getting fed up with something. The difference is that I'm not going to whine about it endlessly. I'm not going to think there's something dark or oppressive in a forum or moderators because they try to do their work. Who knows what else they've seen. Which exchanges they had? How much graffiti already had to be removed. And they don't need to explain it to anyone on the forum either. And they are humans as well.

And why would you ease drop on what member are posting on other sites?

It was reading like a quote so I looked it up. Noticing it was already elsewhere, and that you posted similar things already around 20 times in separate threads without meaningful discussion following, I decided it was not different enough from spam. Part of that assessment was your unwillingness or inability to even discuss the topics at the time, and started even more of them!

But you failed to mention the many post of mine, and lengthy of other post I participated in along the way. And should it be noted, all my post are statements, which could be considered spamming from your point of view.

If you'd be only a spammer, you might have been banned.

I'm asking for justice shown towards all members.

And I'm asking you not to get involved in rumours and gossip about what might have been done to others. Focus on your own contributions and elevate the level. Normally I would not even allow these discussions on moderation on the forum since they never go anywhere. And I expect adult people to contact me directly when they don't understand some action and not have some anonymous dingo accusing an actual real life person, who is using his own name, of various nefarious dealings. But I've allowed this one mainly because of the interest of the thread starter in understanding the nature of the forum.

I say you should post the article/pamphlet "Only vessels” you depleted [which were not depleted as spamming anywhere else] and let the member decide if you did the right thing. I have voiced myself, and need not go any further here. Thank you for allow me this.

Fuck off. Really, Julius. Just because I'm willing to discuss your baseless, stupid, gossipy sounding complaints here, doesn't mean anything is regretted or changed. You are using the forum as a platform to advertise your own beliefs, okay, but just don't push it.
User avatar
Diebert van Rhijn
 
Posts: 5845
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:43 pm


Return to Help Desk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests