My perception of time

Post questions or suggestions here.
Animus

My perception of time

Post by Animus »

I've been experiencing an inordinate amount of dejavu lately. But smeared out over long periods of time. An entire interaction will appear to me at the onset to be something I've done before and know how it ends. Sometimes it ends the same, and sometimes I choose differently. When I was a teenager I had the typical experiences of dejavu I had from childhood, small glimpses of the notion that I'd done something before, but only a vague after-effect. Then once I had an experience like the kind I'm talking about, I'll describe it in detail so you can see the difficulty in trying to explain it.

I was about 14 and was sitting on the floor in my room fiddling with and listening to a mini stereo system my mother had given to me. As I was sitting there listening to music at a moderate to high range I had what can only be described as a flash of insight. I realized a whole sequence of events that was about to take place. I imagined the daughter of my foster parents walking down the hallway and knocking on my door. I would yell for her to open the door and she would say "Where did you get that?" and I would explain to her, and she would leave. It was no more than 5 seconds later that there was a knock on my door and the exact sequence of events played out.

I've been figuring out ways to explain this all my life and chalk it up to something wrong with the brain. However, even in that particular incident it was as if I knew exactly what was going to happen before it happened. And I'm experiencing a lot of that phenomena lately. It's as if I'd done it all before, but I can change it. And I'm sort of at a loss for explaining it other than to say that it is my prediction systems gone mad. I'm not always correct, I haven't lost my sense of skepticism, its just that I usually am correct an inordinate amount. In the example given I lived in a house with 5 other people, it could have been a lot of people, and the music was loud enough that I didn't consciously register any other sounds. Maybe my mind put it all together subconsciously and then revealed it consciously, that seems to be the best explanation. But its damn weird.
Pincho Paxton

Re: My perception of time

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Animus wrote:I've been experiencing an inordinate amount of dejavu lately. But smeared out over long periods of time. An entire interaction will appear to me at the onset to be something I've done before and know how it ends. Sometimes it ends the same, and sometimes I choose differently. When I was a teenager I had the typical experiences of dejavu I had from childhood, small glimpses of the notion that I'd done something before, but only a vague after-effect. Then once I had an experience like the kind I'm talking about, I'll describe it in detail so you can see the difficulty in trying to explain it.

I was about 14 and was sitting on the floor in my room fiddling with and listening to a mini stereo system my mother had given to me. As I was sitting there listening to music at a moderate to high range I had what can only be described as a flash of insight. I realized a whole sequence of events that was about to take place. I imagined the daughter of my foster parents walking down the hallway and knocking on my door. I would yell for her to open the door and she would say "Where did you get that?" and I would explain to her, and she would leave. It was no more than 5 seconds later that there was a knock on my door and the exact sequence of events played out.

I've been figuring out ways to explain this all my life and chalk it up to something wrong with the brain. However, even in that particular incident it was as if I knew exactly what was going to happen before it happened. And I'm experiencing a lot of that phenomena lately. It's as if I'd done it all before, but I can change it. And I'm sort of at a loss for explaining it other than to say that it is my prediction systems gone mad. I'm not always correct, I haven't lost my sense of skepticism, its just that I usually am correct an inordinate amount. In the example given I lived in a house with 5 other people, it could have been a lot of people, and the music was loud enough that I didn't consciously register any other sounds. Maybe my mind put it all together subconsciously and then revealed it consciously, that seems to be the best explanation. But its damn weird.
I'd call it a free memory slot that is experiencing a memory as it happens, a bit like live TV. The memory is only a few seconds behind your reality, and you are thinking that the memory is way into your past.
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

Amazing! I had this exact experience when I was .. 13? I was applying for a private school and a man was talking about the benefits. An extreme sense of dejavu came over me and I finished the last 2 sentences of his speech. At first I was shocked, but with later examination I told myself, oh he probably ended his sentance with a common phrase...
But it wasn't, he was speaking about something that I had never been exposed to - something about the school's basketball team.

It was extremely odd. Extremely. I wish I could remember how or what it felt like...

It went something like this: "The women's basket ball team had won their 4th (career game last winter. It was a great game with many of the parents in attendance.)" I may be exaggerating - but I remember specifically where I was, the speaker, the length of time I had predicted his speech, and the feeling afterwords.

I believe it was as if he was speaking through me...

Animus, how old are you?
To think or not to think.
Blair

Post by Blair »

He's 15, like you ;)
Animus

Post by Animus »

IJesusChrist wrote:Amazing! I had this exact experience when I was .. 13? I was applying for a private school and a man was talking about the benefits. An extreme sense of dejavu came over me and I finished the last 2 sentences of his speech. At first I was shocked, but with later examination I told myself, oh he probably ended his sentance with a common phrase...
But it wasn't, he was speaking about something that I had never been exposed to - something about the school's basketball team.

It was extremely odd. Extremely. I wish I could remember how or what it felt like...

It went something like this: "The women's basket ball team had won their 4th (career game last winter. It was a great game with many of the parents in attendance.)" I may be exaggerating - but I remember specifically where I was, the speaker, the length of time I had predicted his speech, and the feeling afterwords.

I believe it was as if he was speaking through me...

Animus, how old are you?
Sounds pretty similar. I'm 28 now.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Pincho Paxton wrote:
Animus wrote:I've been experiencing an inordinate amount of dejavu lately. But smeared out over long periods of time. An entire interaction will appear to me at the onset to be something I've done before and know how it ends. Sometimes it ends the same, and sometimes I choose differently. When I was a teenager I had the typical experiences of dejavu I had from childhood, small glimpses of the notion that I'd done something before, but only a vague after-effect. Then once I had an experience like the kind I'm talking about, I'll describe it in detail so you can see the difficulty in trying to explain it.

I'd call it a free memory slot that is experiencing a memory as it happens, a bit like live TV. The memory is only a few seconds behind your reality, and you are thinking that the memory is way into your past.
That would be a loosely adequate solution to typical dejavu, but not when the memory reflects something which has yet to even occur.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I can roughly explain the premonition (dare I call it that) by suggesting that my subconscious mind picked up cues from the environment, roughly figured that Ashlyn (the girl in question) would be the most likely to knock on my door and perhaps based on various assumptions about the rules of conversation my subconscious constructed a highly accurate prediction which was then represented consciously, as a kind of "revelation". This is possibly the most plausible explanation, but it still strikes me as odd, especially at the age of 14, when I had very little experience with such things.

Yesterday it hit me twice, once when I was riding in the passenger seat of my roommates car. We were taking the same route home from my work that we take every day and we were having a conversation that I thought was somewhat novel. Everything seemed initially to be completely novel other than it being the same route we normally take. Then as I looked up at green-light at an intersection we were passing through, it struck me in this very surreal manner that everything, including my gazing up at the light was a repeat of something that happened before. It occured to me that if I didn't hold my tongue the conversation would take a dramatic downturn and result in a serious falling out between my roommate and I. I could only vaguely make out what seemed to be the exact sentences that would be spoken, but I had little time to bring them into focus before I had to make the decision. I chose not to speak anything and it all turned out ok. But I still felt as if it was supposed to go the other way.

Then I was updating my facebook page with various status updates about the band Metallica and their lyrics, I remembered clearly posting similar statements and links a few months ago, and tried not to repeat myself, but upon completion it struck me that I had done the exact same thing down to the letter that I had done before. Except that... there is no extant evidence that I'd ever done it before, there is no record of it on my facebook wall.
Animus

Post by Animus »

There is a 2005 film about the death of the Ego by Guy Ritchie called "Revolver". There are a few scenes in that movie that directly resemble the kind of experience. There is a scene where the main character "Mr. Greene" is leaving an apartment building and has this vision of himself stepping out onto the street and being hit by a car. Then it switches back to him leaving his apartment with a contemplative look on his face, to indicate this scene playing out in his mind, seeing the image of his own body flying through the windshield he abruptly stops and the car races past him.
Animus

Post by Animus »

I just watch Revolver for the first time last night. Before I watched it a read a series of reviews that said it was chaotic, nonsensical, confusing and presumes to have deep insight into the mind but is too confusing to tell. Yet, when I watched the film much of it made perfect sense to me.

The film represents the Ego in a few different ways, one way is as "Sam Gold" who "No one sees, but sees everyone". This ends up being basically the allegory of "Satan". Satan or Sam Gold represents the fruits of the Ego. There is a statement to the effect; Everyone has "him" in their heads and they think he is him. You can't kill him, or they will kill you to protect him. The greatest con he ever pulled was making you believe he doesn't exist. The greatest con he pulled was making you believe he is you.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Also reminds me of this lyric from Metallica's "Sad But True"

"I'm your truth, telling lies. I'm your reasoned alibis. I'm inside, open your eyes. I'm you! Sad but true"
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

Hmm I have never had an inclination that I need to make a decision accompanied by dejavu, however I've had that inclination alone before...

About 3 years ago, I was going through an extreme part of my life, my psychology was changing dramatically, and I easily claimed myself psychotic (psychosis). I would go through entire days without remembering much of it, and after having gone through most of the day I would have to spend about an hours worth of extreme retracing to see what I had actually done, and what I hadn't.

There were many times where I was completely convinced that I had done something, when later it turned out to be a dream. I was also confusing reality with dreams - I would think I dreamt something, but it had actually happened. At points I was so confused as to whether or not something had really happened, it effected my life intensely. At times I had dreams where I called my family some cruel words, but later, I deduced that it had not happened...

I would wake up, spending my mornings wondering what I had done last night - completely forgotten and replaced by dreams... At times I realized that entire stories were figments of my imagination. I am convinced that this was caused by stress by accompanied psychological ailments at the time that were beyond explanation... but it was very odd.

As for Dejavu again, that time at the private school is the only time where I can specifically remember being able to predict the near-future. It felt as if I was flowing on a wave, the words just spilt out of my mouth, and his at the same time...

All rather interesting... Do you have bouts of dejavu? I seem to get it within 3 days or so, continually, then it won't happen for atleast a year...
Animus

Post by Animus »

IJesusChrist wrote:All rather interesting... Do you have bouts of dejavu? I seem to get it within 3 days or so, continually, then it won't happen for atleast a year...
I tend to experience something like that every few days or multiple times in a day at the moment. I do have some pretty bad memory and attentional issues, but I'm becoming aware of other things. I'm spending more time further back in the psyche somewhere. Its difficult to explain, but the other day I was simultaneously thinking "What is my postal code?" and exactly what my postal code was. It was as if the line of thinking that was searching for the code wasn't aware that the code was already present verbally and in visual memory, but somehow I was aware of both. It didn't help me to do anything about it, I still had trouble putting the two of them together. All of this occurred over a few seconds and I achieved synthesis and arrived into a typical state of perception. It was really weird, I'd never experienced the inability to do something like that with such clarity. I've experienced where I simply can't think at all of what I'm after. but I've never experienced it where somehow it was in front of me and couldn't be found. for I remember my "inner voice" repeating my postal code as I was trying to find it, but couldn't. I also remember it was visible somehow and where I was looking for it was in the wrong place. I was thinking to myself "It's over there, look over there".
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Animus wrote:
Pincho Paxton wrote:

That would be a loosely adequate solution to typical dejavu, but not when the memory reflects something which has yet to even occur.
Memories can play odd tricks on you. They are stored with a time signature, which is probably an energy level which fades as entropy takes over the energy level. so a faded memory is in your past. But sometimes you can have a faded memory after an event has happened, you then think that the memory came before the event. I've done it myself upon waking from a deep sleep. I dreamed that the milkman knocked five times on the door, then I heard the milkman knock five times on the door. So my memory was faded after the event, and was pushed into my past.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

dejavu wrote:Good topic!

Pincho:
Memories can play odd tricks on you. They are stored with a time signature, which is probably an energy level which fades as entropy takes over the energy level. so a faded memory is in your past. But sometimes you can have a faded memory after an event has happened, you then think that the memory came before the event. I've done it myself upon waking from a deep sleep. I dreamed that the milkman knocked five times on the door, then I heard the milkman knock five times on the door. So my memory was faded after the event, and was pushed into my past.
?? So you mean you confused what was only a dream as the premonition of a reality (coincidentally similar) that came soon after?

When I was twenty, I had a dream of walking up a street and seeing a kind of fake fish tank with fake fish swimming about in it. This was the dream at the point at which I woke from it. About an hour later whilst walking through the city to where I had to go, I was overcome by the sense of dejavu and the same 'feeling' from the recent dream. I looked left and saw, in exactly the same way I had seen it in my dream, the tank and fish.

The feeling of everything having happened before, even a less fleeting, more protracted presentiment---is so closely related to the feeling of making everything happen...but not the same! :D
It's strange but logically we could make our dreams up later. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. Time is movement, and no way can we see the future.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

dejavu wrote:
It's strange but logically we could make our dreams up later. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.
That would mean we never really had them though. Logically, we make up our dreams as we...well, make them up! The past as fabricated recollection would be odd beyond belief!
Time is movement,
No it isn't. Time requires consciousness. Movement doesn't.
We know this because our consciousness has evolved.
and no way can we see the future.
Which doesn't really prevent us creating our own present from the possibilities that we can see for the future.
We can't create our own present either unless we are in a machine like The Matrix. Even if we are in a machine I think it would be linear in time. I go with the memories pushed back by energy level reading low, maybe a damaged memory storage. We make dreams up with a complete memory of them pushed back in energy value. I always thought that anyway after the milkman dream. It is odd that you did it by several hours, but still the same thing. Memories are unreliable, we do have evidence of that.
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

For the most part, pincho is right. Dejavu, you probably never had the dream with the fish. That is what happened to me, if you even read my post...

I was confusing what I really did remember, and what was a dream - I couldn't tell the difference. A dream I had became reality - but then I didn't remember actually having the dream. A friend of mine described having a dream, and then he smoked salvia and his exact dream happened. I'm convinced the chemical 'surprised' his brain, induced a strong sense of dejavu, and thus he thought it had happened twice, once before, and experiencing in the present.

I'm completely convinced this happens, sometimes it happens once in a life time, sometimes it may happen for an entire year (ugh.) but if it happens once, you may not realize that you are confusing dejavu with simply 1 current event, and a fictional event in the past.

A double memory!

Next time, if ever this happens to any of you, where you believe you had a dream, and then it came true, try to remember when you had the dream. You will think it was last night or two nights ago, but the odd thing is, you will never remember waking up and remembering the dream, simply because you never had it.
Animus

Post by Animus »

Pincho Paxton wrote:no way can we see the future.
Blasphemy!

What comes next in this sequence Pincho; 1...2...3...4...?

How about this one; 0...2...4...6...8...?

Or this one; A...B...C...D...E...?
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

We can predict the future, we cannot view it.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Animus wrote:
Pincho Paxton wrote:no way can we see the future.
Blasphemy!

What comes next in this sequence Pincho; 1...2...3...4...?

How about this one; 0...2...4...6...8...?

Or this one; A...B...C...D...E...?
After the first sequence came... How about this one; 0...2...4...6...8...?

and after that sequence came...Or this one; A...B...C...D...E...?

then came... We can predict the future, we cannot view it.

then came... your quote enclosed in

and after that one came...After the first sequence came... How about this one; 0...2...4...6...8...?

and then... and after that sequence came...Or this one; A...B...C...D...E...?
Animus

Post by Animus »

IJesusChrist wrote:We can predict the future, we cannot view it.
All our "viewing" as in visual representation, is just that, a visual representation of a presumed "now". We can just as easily represent our predictions visually, and I submit you probably do but you aren't fully conscious of it.
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

dejavu wrote: Between us, a friend and I once had more magic mushrooms than you could count. We then found we had no separate self. To cut a long story short, after a walk along a mountain ridge, we ended up in a long room, each standing at either end with our backs to oneanother, trying to turn around so as not to see the other simultaneously turning to do the same. lol

We both knew it was impossible, so we gave up and went our separate ways.
This makes absolutely no sense, and I don't see the relevance. Not faultering you, I just am not comprehending what you're getting at.

Psychoactives are a toadstool to the skyscraper we can ascend.

Animus;

What I meant is we can not be present in the future, watching it unfold, thus be able to 'change' it. We can only make predictions, and predictions can be turned into simulations, can be turned into visualizations. But it is not the actual timeline of t°+t
Animus

Post by Animus »

IJesusChrist wrote:
Animus;

What I meant is we can not be present in the future, watching it unfold, thus be able to 'change' it. We can only make predictions, and predictions can be turned into simulations, can be turned into visualizations. But it is not the actual timeline of t°+t

Well then its a good thing that wasn't my claim. I'd hate to be wrong about that. ;)
IJesusChrist

Post by IJesusChrist »

dejavu wrote:Jesus:
Psychoactives are a toadstool to the skyscraper we can ascend.
Your slip-up is welcome. What if the skyscraper does after all depend on a toadstool? I mean, it's lovely to think of us attaining eternity in a patient, orderly, drug-free, no sex before marriage kind of a way----but what if we don't get there on time? lol
They can be used as the slingshot, a new set of eyes, or a mirror, but really, you give a fool dmt and he sees pretty pictures. You give it to intelligence, and she sees life. She may or may not have needed the slingshot.