Pantheism

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
Thomas Knierim

Re: Ooops

Post by Thomas Knierim »

<span style="color:white;">Lyrutan: David Quinn and Kevin Solway have developed a new version of pantheism, which they term "mantheism." Asked to comment on the essence of their religion, Quinn stated "it's raining men, hallelujah!" Worship rituals reportedly include a ceremony in which adherents, dressed as members of the Village People, give burnt offerings to Otto Weininger.</span>

This was so far the most hilarious response in this thread, perhaps in all of the current threads. I vote for keeping it, or better, enshrine it as "Mantheism - the path to enlightainment". I suggest to add the terms mantheist, mantheistic, and the urgently required noun machony (machonic, machonism) (suggesting a logically airtight piece of male reasoning), such as in: "that was a good machonic analysis," and before all: enlightainment, meaning a diversion conducive to enlightenment (such as posting to a philosophy board while having beer and peanuts).

Thanks for listening.

Thomas
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

Yep, Lyrutan is me, and whether or not you wish to be concerned for my mental health is not my concern. I have been informed by several sources that what I posted as Lyrutan was in fact rather funny, which was of course the aim of it. It is also instructive to observe how people react to humor, as it reveals a good deal about their personality (or lack thereof).
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Thomas wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr> This was so far the most hilarious response in this thread, perhaps in all of the current threads. <hr> I'm sure no one is surprised that you think this. It is poking fun at Kevin and myself which is bound to score high marks with you. You'd laugh uproariously at anything along these lines, no matter how tasteless or lame it is.

But it is interesting that it attempts to depict Kevin and myself engaging in feminine activities, such as parading ourselves under an "ism", partaking in hysterical singing, dressing up in clownish costumes, and engaging in rituals. In other words, the humour is based on the implict acknowledgment that feminine activities are inherently silly and worthless, which means that it is "misogynistic" in nature.
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

Oh, and by the way, "playfulness" is one of the cornerstones of philosophical Taoism. Just thought you should know.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Naturyl wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr> Yep, Lyrutan is me, and whether or not you wish to be concerned for my mental health is not my concern. I have been informed by several sources that what I posted as Lyrutan was in fact rather funny, which was of course the aim of it. It is also instructive to observe how people react to humor, as it reveals a good deal about their personality (or lack thereof). <hr> Here is some great humour that I'm sure you will enjoy:

<a href="http://www.theabsolute.net/minefield/pr ... l#cowching" target="top">Cow Te Ching</a>

<a href="http://www.theabsolute.net/minefield/pr ... l#cowching" target="top">Book of Wife</a>
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

Yeah, I read those a while back during a visit to Kevin's site. I'll grant that they are rather funny at times. They are a bit mean-spirited, but I suppose that I can't really complain about that after picking on you in the Lyrutan posts. I do appreciate the humor. Kevin's 'Society for the Elimination of All Truth' is also rather funny.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

I still reckon you guys do your cause more harm than good promoting stuff like that. People just get too defensive and every action of defensiveness makes the next one stronger.

Your webbook on WOMAN was an excellent piece of work, though, I did get dismissive of the latter sections at the time I read it a year ago.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

I don't know, Jimhaz. People with limited vision and weak character are always going to get defensive, regardless of what kind of opposition is before them. You can't spend your life pandering to them. They will always look for an excuse to avoid being truthful.

In many ways, I view the QRS commentary upon women as a kind of seive which seperates those who have potential for wisdom and those who don't. The commentary can really only be understood by those who possess a dialetical turn of mind and who love truth more than they do their own happiness.

This doesn't mean that everyone who agrees with me that women are inferior when it comes to higher matters have spiritual potential. For many of these will be mundane, old-fashioned, unreconstructed misogynists. But it does mean that anyone who does get defensive and offended by the commentary has no chance at all of becoming enlightened.

Thomas Knierim

Post by Thomas Knierim »

<span style="color:white;">David: You'd laugh uproariously at anything along these lines, no matter how tasteless or lame it is.</span>

Well, you got me there. :-D

<span style="color:white;">David: But it is interesting that it attempts to depict Kevin and myself engaging in feminine activities, such as parading ourselves under an "ism", partaking in hysterical singing, dressing up in clownish costumes, and engaging in rituals. In other words, the humour is based on the implict acknowledgment that feminine activities are inherently silly and worthless, which means that it is "misogynistic" in nature.</span>

That's what I would call a "loaded" interpretation. Loaded with assumptions that is.

Thomas
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

They're all feminine activities, by definition. They embody unconsciousness, passivity, submission, masochism, emotional bonding, and the destruction of individuality. That is how the humour is generated - by creating a contrast with how Kevin and I actually behave and what we value, and forcing us into that demeaning role.

This is why Nietzsche once observed that laughter is an expression of "malice with good conscience". In this particular case, your laughter is generated by a sudden sense of relief that the constraints which Kevin and I impose upon yourself, and upon the forum in general, have been suddenly lifted, at least for a short period of time.
suergaz

Post by suergaz »

I impose upon Kevin and David the uncomfortability David whines about above. There are no constraints upon my laughter. I am a more intelligent human being. This sends them both a little mad. Especially since I go about here telling them so. And everyone else too. Not to mention branding them misogynists, and calling them funny names.

Thankyou.