Girl shortage in China?

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)
DEL

Girl shortage in China?

Post by DEL »

I hear there is a shortage of girls in China. Is this true? If so is there anybody who is able to explain the differences in the tone of society in contrast with the west.
What is it like as a man to live in a place where there is a girl shortage?
Any comments huzheng?

I stayed in Saudi Arabia for about 3 weeks on business. It was wonderful for about a week then an incredibly intense boredom came over me.
huzheng

I don't feel China have girl shortage.

Post by huzheng »

I don't feel China have girl shortage, but i don't know the statistic exactly.

I think the proportion of men to women will always keep 1:1, even people want to born boy. The biological theory make the proportion keep 1:1. In China, people only allow to have one child, even people want boy, if the first child is boy, they are satisfied, or they can born the second child secretly, if it is a boy, they stop to born more children, but this won't make boys be more than girls, as there are case that they have three girls and despaired at last :_) The only way to change the proportion is by kill female infant, but this seldom happen in the current society.
DEL

I don't feel China have girl shortage.

Post by DEL »

Ok, thanks.
Naturyl

Re: I don't feel China have girl shortage.

Post by Naturyl »

Quote:Quote:<hr> think the proportion of men to women will always keep 1:1, even people want to born boy. The biological theory make the proportion keep 1:1.<hr>That pesky yin/yang thing again.

Quote:Quote:<hr>The only way to change the proportion is by kill female infant, but this seldom happen in the current society.<hr>If the Chinese government would like to change that, maybe they would be interested in acquiring Mr. Quinn. It would be an "ideal" task for him.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Naturyl wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr> Hu Zheng: I think the proportion of men to women will always keep 1:1, even people want to born boy. The biological theory make the proportion keep 1:1.

Nat: That pesky yin/yang thing again. <hr> No, you've already agreed that there is no relationship between the universal principle of yin/yang and particular instances of yin and yang. Remember the master/slave analogy.

If a contageous virus were to suddenly strike everyone with XY chromosomes the world over, killing the victims within hours, then it is probable that the entire population of males would be wiped out. The universal principle of yin/yang would not be able to save them.
krussell2004

Post by krussell2004 »

Quote:Quote:<hr>If a contageous virus were to suddenly strike everyone with XY chromosomes the world over, killing the victims within hours, then it is probable that the entire population of males would be wiped out. The universal principle of yin/yang would not be able to save them. <hr>

There are many illnesses and defects attributable solely to males with relation to the Y chromosome. It is quite conceivable that such a pandemic could occur that would affect only males and possibly wipe out all the male members of our species. In fact the Y chromosome exists for the sole purpose to make one "male" and not female. The absence of Y leads to development of females in the womb. All this would indicate the very opposite of what you preach. ie. it is the females who are superior to us males. All because of our unstable chromosomes.
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

Quote:Quote:<hr>No, you've already agreed that there is no relationship between the universal principle of yin/yang and particular instances of yin and yang.<hr>No, I agreed that the relationship is subject to change. Why would I claim that there is 'no relationship' between the universal principle of yin/yang and particular instances thereof? That would be like saying that there is no realtionship between the law of gravity and an apple falling from the tree. I agreed only that specific yin/yang relationships are mutable and subject to change, as seen in the master/slave analogy you referred to.
birdofhermes

Post by birdofhermes »

Quote:Quote:<hr>In fact the Y chromosome exists for the sole purpose to make one "male" and not female. The absence of Y leads to development of females in the womb. All this would indicate the very opposite of what you preach. ie. it is the females who are superior to us males. All because of our unstable chromosomes.<hr>

Nature created the male to provide variety. Yet the male comes from the female and always reacts to her. This is his driving force. The female is not superior to, but is antecedent to the male, and therefore always has a head start.

The male innovates and the female integrates. The female provides problems for the male to solve. The female could be called superior in that she is the basic life form, and created the male as a tool. The male is a boomerang.

On the other hand, the boomerang can fly and can see far.

The female is the Tao and the male is the ten thousand things.

The female is the chaos and the void, and the male is the Word of God, without whom nothing was made.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

Yin/yang is just duality. Yin/yang as you see it exists only by coincidence.

However, duality exists because of emptiness versus fullness. Opposites attracting, emptiness attracts fullness and fullness wishes to expand into emptiness. It is the nature of space versus non-space.

Matter (yin) and energy (yang) are the same thing. Energy=Moving matter. All matter and energy is in the nature of a spectrum consisting of differing degrees of matter/energy waves.

ie solid -liquid-gas-recognisable energy (light/radiation etc)- unrecognisable energy (gravity)

As all life and consciousness is a result of matter it also is a spectrum.

ie unconscious things (rocks etc) - plants - bacteria - insects - animals - self-consciousness – fully controlled self consciousness – godliness (some of these divisions are artificial).

Within each of these there exist sub-spectrums, ie for humans we have differing degrees of consciousness and intelligence. For instance awake and asleep is a differing degree of consciousness, dumb and enlightened is differing degrees of both consciousness and intelligence.

This is in fact ultimate reality. I think my post is brilliant.
krussell2004

Post by krussell2004 »

Birdofhermes, I like everything you said. Not only is it very poetic, but so smacks of the truth in a way none of the QRS can understand. I just think they'll have a field day with the following quote:

Quote:Quote:<hr>The female provides problems for the male to solve.<hr>
Thomas Knierim

Post by Thomas Knierim »

<span style="color:white;">David: If a contageous virus were to suddenly strike everyone with XY chromosomes the world over, killing the victims within hours, then it is probable that the entire population of males would be wiped out.</span>

But has not yet been observed. It is a fabrication. Reminds me a bit of your 'absent force' argument, which is obviously of the same tenor. The argument does not provide any support, because the premise is flawed. Do you think you can make friends with the simple logic that false conclusions follow from false premises?

BTW, another example for yin/yang at work is the process of meiosis. Isn't it suprising that the two possible allele combinations are almost always found at a 1:1 ratio? There seems to be a perfect balance. Segregation distortions such as t-alleles are observed very rarely.

Thomas Edited by: Thomas Knierim at: 1/28/04 1:12 pm
krussell2004

Post by krussell2004 »

Quote:Quote:<hr>Do you think you can make friends with the simple logic that false conclusions follow from false premises?<hr>

He is not interested in making friends Thomas. He is trying to free himself from all forms of attachment, remember?
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

Isn't it suprising that the two possible allele combinations are almost always found at a 1:1 ratio.

don't know what an allete is, but anyway.

But the ratio fluctuates, even if only to a small degree. If yin/yang were not merely observed coincidence then the ratio would be constant. IMO, it is evolutionary requirements that create the underlying cause for this near equality, rather than the principle of yin/yang. As the number of opposites move further apart a vacuum of the needed opposite creates the space for the existence of growth.

Nothing in perfect balance can permantly exist. Perfect balance of anything would mean the end of movement and the universe would cease to exist.
Thomas Knierim

Re: Yin-Yang-Meiosis-Alleles

Post by Thomas Knierim »

<span style="color:white;">Jimhaz: If yin/yang were not merely observed coincidence then the ratio would be constant.</span>

Is it possible that you misunderstand the I Ching? The I Ching does not say that Yin and Yang must occur in perfect balance. It says that Yin and Yang struggle for balance (which means that fluctuations can be expected) and that health and stability go with the state of balance, while imbalance spells trouble. This is pretty much what happens in case of allele segregation distortion, for example in pigs, or in rats. They become sterile or short-lived, or both. Because meiosis renders a genetic shift in favor of the distorting allele, they quickly spread through populations. There is evidence that entire mice populations have become extinct due to t-alleles (read: imbalance).

Thomas
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

Is it possible that you misunderstand the I Ching?

Yep, it is easy to misunderstand something I haven't read. In fact I haven't read in their entirety or to the degree of studying any traditional philosophical texts.

I don't mind, in that way I don't get attached to any of them and can use my own thoughts. Mind you I will at some stage, but as yet I'm the great pretender. I just prefer being a blank sheet.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

It still seems to me though from the way people say things here that most people still 'think' about yin/yang as being some form of perfect natural balance.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

All the interpretations of Yin-Yang that I have seen (other than the one which I have provided - which relates to the manner in which all things can be viewed from their passive or active aspect) are drivel.

Here is a popular run-down of Yin/Yang:

Yin/Yang:
female/male
moon/sun
black/white
darkness/light
fat / muscle, bone

Is this obviously childish nonsense or not?

Now, a modern example of Yin/Yang:

Yin: the traffic light on the freeway (the stillness)
Yang: the traffic that flows past that traffic light (the vivaciousness)

I don't think I've ever heard of anything that reeks of more nonsense than this.

As I say, in my interpretation all things have exactly equal amounts of Yin and Yang. In the above example one can see the light as active and energetic, and the traffic as passive, and bending to the will of a driving force.
Naturyl

Post by Naturyl »

Well, you need to understand the actual yin/yang concept before dismissing it, wouldn't you think?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Quote:Quote:<hr>Nature created the male to provide variety. Yet the male comes from the female and always reacts to her. This is his driving force. The female is not superior to, but is antecedent to the male, and therefore always has a head start.<hr>

Male and female evolved together, simultaneously. There was never a time when there were only females and no males.

If you mean that the "active" arose from the "passive", then this isn't really true either, as all things have both an active and passive aspect.

Quote:Quote:<hr>The female could be called superior in that she is the basic life form, and created the male as a tool.<hr>

You're really getting deperate now!

Quote:Quote:<hr>The female is the Tao and the male is the ten thousand things.<hr>

All things are the Tao, only they have different appearances. The ten thousand things, too, are the Tao.
jimhaz

Post by jimhaz »

I'll have to refer back to your full explanation, but regardless I believe NOTHING is passive. All things are active because all things require movement to exist.

To call anything passive it would have to have an inherent existence, which nothing has.
birdofhermes

Post by birdofhermes »

Quote:Quote:<hr>Male and female evolved together, simultaneously. There was never a time when there were only females and no males.<hr>According to biology, they consider asexual reproduction of one-celled organisms to be female which precedes the division into two sexes.

Quote:Quote:<hr>You're really getting deperate now!<hr>I was trying to rehabilitate the male from the lowly position Naturyl ascribes to it. My point is that there are reasons why the male has more extremes than the female. And, in my opinion, the pattern continues from the simple invention of the male in the first place, to more complex life forms, in which males are more active in deciding where the herd will go to forage. Did you know that even male rats use the cardinal directions for find their way around, and that female rats don't, in a similar way that human females also don't?

Quote:Quote:<hr>All things are the Tao, only they have different appearances. The ten thousand things, too, are the Tao.<hr>True; again, I was referring to the feminine voidness as opposed to male organizational force. Whatever the force is that causes DNA, for example, to become highly organized, it should be primarily a 'male' force. It was not because Adam was the authority that he named the animals, but because it is his nature to do so.

Jimmy: Two good points. You're funny, either you bat 100 or zero.