Human Connections

Some partial backups of posts from the past (Feb, 2004)

Human Connections

Post by Newbie »

Assume one is on their path to enlightenment and discovering the ultimate reality. Given one life, shouldn't one try to avoid pain and suffering as much as possible in their quest for the truth, and have deep connections(love?)to fellow humans or does that interfere with the path?

There is one life, then we are dead, rotting in the ground or in some urn. Yes, we must understand the ultimate reality, but shouldn't we try our best to be *happy* while we are here? Happiness, including but not limited to, loved ones, partners, wives, children, drugs (to remove us temporarily from the ultimate reality)golf, movies, etc.?
voce io

Re: Human Connections

Post by voce io »

Hey Newbie.

Assume one is on their path to enlightenment and discovering the ultimate reality. Given one life, shouldn't one try to avoid pain and suffering as much as possible in their quest for the truth, and have deep connections(love?)to fellow humans or does that interfere with the path?

The path to truth is an illusion. It's, in my opinion (which the rest of this post is, and all my posts will be), a good idea to lose the idea of a path altogether. Enlightenment isn't something at the end of a road, fuck! It was always there. It's like one of those pictures of the beautiful woman and old hag in one image. Sometime, you'll just end up being able to see it both ways. (Props to Nemo for that comparison).

There is one life, then we are dead, rotting in the ground or in some urn. Yes, we must understand the ultimate reality, but shouldn't we try our best to be *happy* while we are here?

You can do whatever you want. If you want to be happy you can.

Happiness, including but not limited to, loved ones, partners, wives, children, drugs (to remove us temporarily from the ultimate reality)golf, movies, etc.?

Yeah! Do all those things! The understanding of U.R. is just another thing you can attain and have and do and want. It's not any better.

Post by Newbie »

that makes sense
Greg Shantz

Post by Greg Shantz »

Newbie wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr>Assume one is on their path to enlightenment and discovering the ultimate reality. Given one life, shouldn't one try to avoid pain and suffering as much as possible in their quest for the truth, and have deep connections(love?)to fellow humans or does that interfere with the path?<hr>

Hi Newbie.

I'm looking at your post, and I think that having 'deep conncections (love) to fellow humans' interferes with the path. The path to Ultimate Reality is originally undertaken to free yourself from pain and suffering. Deep connections to other people are a source of pain and suffering.

Quote:Quote:<hr>There is one life, then we are dead, rotting in the ground or in some urn. Yes, we must understand the ultimate reality, but shouldn't we try our best to be *happy* while we are here? Happiness, including but not limited to, loved ones, partners, wives, children, drugs (to remove us temporarily from the ultimate reality)golf, movies, etc.? <hr>

None of these things will prevent suffering permanently.

voce io wrote:

Quote:Quote:<hr> The path to truth is an illusion. It's, in my opinion (which the rest of this post is, and all my posts will be), a good idea to lose the idea of a path altogether. Enlightenment isn't something at the end of a road, fuck! It was always there. <hr>

'This - is now my way: Where is yours?' Thus I answered those who asked me 'the way.' For the way - does not exist!

Thus spoke Zarathustra.
1TheMaster

Post by 1TheMaster »

Connection with other humans only results in pain. Best be a hermit, sit back and laugh at the circus.

violetmoon22

Post by violetmoon22 »

Quote:Quote:<hr>I'm looking at your post, and I think that having 'deep conncections (love) to fellow humans' interferes with the path. The path to Ultimate Reality is originally undertaken to free yourself from pain and suffering. Deep connections to other people are a source of pain and suffering. <hr>

So assuming one is undergoing the *path* or some other such thing, in their search for the ulimate reality and enlightenment. If one has had and presently has, human connections (love), should that be forsaken for the quest, and, could this not cause quite the loneliness and depression? In your opinion, does this mean that one should avoid a family and children?

Quote:Quote:<hr>Connection with other humans only results in pain. Best be a hermit, sit back and laugh at the circus. <hr>

Is it possible to search for UR/enlightenment and also pursue human love to avoid loneliness and pain or is this inevitable?

What if you have 30 years left to live your life. What if 29 years is spent on the path, during which such time you are in the *pain* of your search--and the last year is your enlightenment? Would it make more sense to have love/happiness (assuming human connections would do this for you)for much of that time rather than the anguish (that some may encounter)in their search?

cassiopeiae

Post by cassiopeiae »

The search for Enlightenment alone brings pain and suffering. I agree with Voce, in that there is no pot of gold at the end of the road, it is a continuation, however, for one to advance their self, it would make sense to experience and 'know' from that experience of attachment to a human, or love. To the self, ALL lessons must be learned for one to grow. Detaching one from love is foolish, even though pain and suffering is inevidible in most cases. What ailes us makes us stronger, and I would bet the majority of us learn from each experience.

Why do we fear emotions and pain? The key is FEAR. For one to grow, fear must be resolved. Avoidance will not resolve the matter, only makes it more difficult to do so. Edited by: cassiopeiae at: 10/31/03 12:20 am
voce io

Post by voce io »

I'm looking at your post, and I think that having 'deep conncections (love) to fellow humans' interferes with the path. The path to Ultimate Reality is originally undertaken to free yourself from pain and suffering. Deep connections to other people are a source of pain and suffering.

Enlightenment is about transcending oneself, not freeing it(how can a fire extinguish a fire?). The human can do anything it wants in this world. Do you think an enlightened person isn't allowed to love someone else, because that would be trapping for them? If a seeker denies themselves trappings, they are only playing games with denial and acceptance. They aren't finding.

'This - is now my way: Where is yours?' Thus I answered those who asked me 'the way.' For the way - does not exist!

Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Nice.

Connection with other humans only results in pain. Best be a hermit, sit back and laugh at the circus.

If you disconnect, you're only fucking with things that have nothing to do with enlightenment. If you are a hermit, the circus just laughs at you. Be in the circus, but remain outside of the circus. Take it down from the inside. I highly recommend for you not to leave society.

Is it possible to search for UR/enlightenment and also pursue human love to avoid loneliness and pain or is this inevitable?

Yes. You should probably try to find what "enlightenment" is first though, before searching for it.

What if you have 30 years left to live your life. What if 29 years is spent on the path, during which such time you are in the *pain* of your search--and the last year is your enlightenment? Would it make more sense to have love/happiness (assuming human connections would do this for you)for much of that time rather than the anguish (that some may encounter)in their search?

Trying to be enlightened is really stupid. Yet, almost everyone does it. Enlightenment finds you, you don't find it...so it's best to sit back and enjoy the ride. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worthwhile to waste 29 years of your life for one year of enlightenment. It isn't that great; that's just my opinion, though.

The search for Enlightenment alone brings pain and suffering. I agree with Voce, in that there is no pot of gold at the end of the road, it is a continuation, however, for one to advance their self, it would make sense to experience and 'know' from that experience of attachment to a human,

First of all, my idea of love isn't "attachment" to another human. Attachments are selfish. Also, there isn't really a self in the sense described here. If a human fosters the idea of a self that they are advancing, they're not going to be finding Truth for quite a while.

To the self, ALL lessons must be learned for one to grow. Detaching one from love is foolish, even though pain and suffering is inevidible in most cases. What ailes us makes us stronger, and I would bet the majority of us learn from each experience.

This is right. There are two extreme ways to go about doing things. One would be to avoid things like love. This leads to suffering and pain. The other would be to dive into and embrace things like love. That leads to suffering and pain. ;-)

Why do we fear emotions and pain? The key is FEAR. For one to grow, fear must be resolved. Avoidance will not resolve the matter, only makes it more difficult to do so.

How can we resolve fear? I think it will pretty much always be there in one form or another. Unless we rid ourselves of that part of our brain. We should keep on fearing. Keep on being our unenlightened selves, in order for enlightenment to come. It's about being open, which we can't be when we are shuddering around trying to fix apparent problems. We are perfect.
cassiopeiae

Post by cassiopeiae »

Quote:Quote:<hr>voce io: First of all, my idea of love isn't "attachment" to another human. Attachments are selfish. Also, there isn't really a self in the sense described here. If a human fosters the idea of a self that they are advancing, they're not going to be finding Truth for quite a while.<hr>

I agree, 'attachments' are selfish, I was using the term liberally as love to many is an attachment.

How isn't there a 'self'? I don't quite follow you...

Quote:Quote:<hr>voce io: How can we resolve fear? I think it will pretty much always be there in one form or another. Unless we rid ourselves of that part of our brain. We should keep on fearing. Keep on being our unenlightened selves, in order for enlightenment to come. It's about being open, which we can't be when we are shuddering around trying to fix apparent problems. We are perfect.<hr>

The first thing is to realize how ridiculous 'fear' actually is. Regardless of what our desire is, things will happen. One can accept the fact that these things could happen, or fear them and avoid a number of enriching experiences. I cannot say I am fearless, but I have dissolved fear of much, which has allowed me to experience much more.

I cannot argue against the fact that we are the way we are for a reason, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't strive to be better.

birdofhermes

Post by birdofhermes »

For those who are sure that you live once and die, I see no reason to pursue truth or sacrifice any immediate pleasures. There is no meaning or purpose in the universe, all your knowledge will die with you, and all knowledge attained by humans will ultimately die, forever.

Those who advocate avoiding love and relationships lack faith and humor, and know themselves to be weak.

What is the use of an enlightenment which is incompatible with life? Why must we assume that this amazing human form and its lifeways is so unusable that is must be transcended in some artificial way? How can we think we have transcended suffering and fear if we have done so by avoiding anything which can prick it? What is so compelling about an enlightenment attained at the price of love?

I don't want such a mini enlightenment. I want the real thing - one that has the courage and magnanimity to handle life as it is!

There's a problem here. It reminds me of Einstein's search for the Theory of Everything. It was jarring that Newtonian and Einsteinian physics didn't jive with quantum mechanics. There had to be some underlying forces or laws to explain both.

It is a bad sign to pursue enlightenment with such a dead earnestness that you lose your humor and obsess over sacfice. A bad sign indeed, and a main reason there are so many lives stunted and quagmired in its pursuit.

Do you think an enlightened person isn't allowed to love someone else, because that would be trapping for them? If a seeker denies themselves trappings, they are only playing games with denial and acceptance. They aren't finding.

Nice. And I think Cass is right on about fear. Fear is the problem. Let us overcome fear, not love.

The man who mews and whines that love might hurt him is no man and no warrior!

voce io

Post by voce io »

Why is fear the problem? Is fear really in the way of enlightenment?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Remember our confrontation in 'The Cage'?

Well, for me, voce io, fear has made my enlightenment impossible.

You did that!

No thanks!

voce io

Post by voce io »

Confused at Paulie.
Paul

Post by Paul »

You were confused from the beginning, dear,
I didn't need no enlightenment for that.

voce io

Post by voce io »

:-) I'll stop now, then. Don't wanna get into another match.
DagneyT

Post by DagneyT »

Quote:Quote:<hr>What is the use of an enlightenment which is incompatible with life? Why must we assume that this amazing human form and its lifeways is so unusable that is must be transcended in some artificial way? How can we think we have transcended suffering and fear if we have done so by avoiding anything which can prick it? What is so compelling about an enlightenment attained at the price of love?<hr>

I agree with this completely. Having no human connections/love is completely incompatible with life and causes unecessary pain. Enlightenment without love is senseless.
Paul

Quote of the Day [2]

Post by Paul »

"Enlightenment without love is senseless."

It doesn't even exist.
Wow, this DagneyT feller is surprisingly good.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

voco eo wrote:
Quote:Quote:<hr>This is right. There are two extreme ways to go about doing things. One would be to avoid things like love. This leads to suffering and pain.<hr>

Suffering and pain are a result of love, and nothing else. When you feel suffering and pain, it is because you don't have the thing you love.

The reason for having nothing to do with "love" is not because it causes suffering and pain, but because it is untrue. That is, "love is blind". It is the untrue that causes suffering and pain. "Love" is a sacrifice of the mind, the only thing that separates us from other animals.

What humans call "love", at least in the case of the love between a man and a woman, is only the human equivalent of the what happens between the two sexes of dogs, cattle, and fish, etc.

The only true and good kind of love is a pure and correct understanding of reality. It is precisely this that noone calls love.
cassiopeiae

Post by cassiopeiae »

Quote:Quote:<hr>Suffering and pain are a result of love, and nothing else. When you feel suffering and pain, it is because you don't have the thing you love.<hr>

I agree that suffering and pain can be the result of love, but are not always. Suffering and pain is attributed to many more things than not having 'the thing you love' which would make love the selfish attachment. Not all loves are selfish attachments. Have you ever had a self-less love? Or even selfish love, for that matter? People who do not experience love, either from a peer or parent figure, ususally end up with a plethera of mental social disorders. It is healthy for the mind to love, and to experience every aspect of it.

Quote:Quote:<hr>The reason for having nothing to do with "love" is not because it causes suffering and pain, but because it is untrue. That is, "love is blind". It is the untrue that causes suffering and pain. "Love" is a sacrifice of the mind, the only thing that separates us from other animals.<hr>

The 'untrue' would turn love into a selfish attachment. As for love being a sacrifice to the mind, it is no sacrifice, but a natural process of the human condition. It does not separate us from other animals, consciousness is what separates us from other animals, being aware of our own mortality. Animals may not be able to experience love as we define it, but there are attachments in the animal kingdom which are evident in a wolf pack or a herd. There are social heirarchies in these examples and definate physical characteristics shown that one can assume to be 'love'.

Quote:Quote:<hr>The only true and good kind of love is a pure and correct understanding of reality. It is precisely this that noone calls love.<hr>

I somewhat agree with you. By having an understanding of reality, it is easier for one to break the 'attachment habit' and experience love (or anything) for what it is. Pain and suffering are less likely to be the result of love, and one is able to experience a universal connection with reality. Edited by: cassiopeiae at: 11/2/03 2:55 am
WolfsonJakk

Post by WolfsonJakk »

It is possible to love without attachment or the desire for attachment. Love without attachment or expectation is quite easy and fulfilling.

Personally, I am emotionally self-sufficient, but I still love those around me and they may take from that what they desire. And they do.

Tharan
Paul

Post by Paul »

Quote:Quote:<hr>Love without attachment or expectation is quite easy and fulfilling. <hr>
Yes, it would be, if it were true. Oh!
Quote:Quote:<hr>Personally, I am emotionally self-sufficient, but I still love those around me and they may take from that what they desire. And they do.<hr>
You sweet liar. With 'steel balls' even!
Well, you told me!