Leg hair debate

Post questions or suggestions here.
Carl G

Re: Leg hair debate

Post by Carl G »

True. My bad. It's past my bedtime in Arizona. The rest of my post still stands. I hope. If not, I can take another crack at it tomorrow.
Good Citizen Carl
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Carl,

Not until now do I realize that the post I responded to was made by you and not Elizabeth.

So then, it was you the one that called me ultra-feminine? That's even more cool!

-
Laird

Post by Laird »

Carl G wrote:[...]the girly-man Laird[...]
[cracks open a stubby on his forehead and grunts appreciatively at the undeniability of QRS wisdom] Is that more like it?
Faust

Post by Faust »

Elizabeth Isabelle wrote:but overall, women are more likely to cooperate to make everything better for everyone than what you are saying, or than how men tend to do.
uhhh, no. Women are mostly herd animals, and this 'herding' is not cooperating to make things better.
If men do not perceive the stakes as particularly directly of consequence to them, they are likely to mess with others - male or female - just for the "fun" of messing with someone.
this is unclear, give me a real example. Which 'stakes'?
Ryan, you will never understand females by equating them with males. Males and females are different creatures. Males and females should have equal rights and equal opportunities to prove and carry out equal abilities - but we are not identical.
how can both do equal abilities if they're not identical? There's no such thing as 'equal' ability either.
Women are better at some things, and men are better at others. That does not make either men or women better than the other - and certainly does not mean that either gender should be relegated to gendercide.
nahh, there's not much that women are better at. ESPECIALLY not raising children. Women are the LAST people on earth that should be given the crucial role of raising children. Women will more likely destroy a child and make them emotional vampires than men. Women rely on school teachers, government daycare, etc... for the proper raising of children. Hell, if men were able to BEAR children they'd probably do a better job, their bodies are much stronger. They'd probably be able to give birth much easier too, much less emotional.
I am not going to belabor this point further Ryan. Either your mind will open in its own time, or you will remain closed-minded forever. It is not my job to beat you up with the truth.
which point exactly?
Amor fati
Faust

Post by Faust »

Ryan Rudolph wrote:Carl, here is what I foresee in the next few hundred years. Nanotechnology will eventually be able to create small bachelor size living complexes constructed out of some sort of metal-organic substance for less than $5000.00, and cars will get smaller, like the smart car, and cheaper, maybe around $1000.00 new.
*rolls eyes*
And eventually nanotechnology will produce food replicators that create food from atoms alone, and this type of gadget will be in every home. Technology will also become intelligent enough to do much of its own self-maintenance and self-repairs.
depends. People will probably have to work HARDER to create energy and BUILD and maintain all this.
Survival will become much easier, and so the need to accumulate wealth will be totally redundant. A greedy person will be outdated, and it will become almost impossible to enslave people because each person will only have to work a few hours a day to sustain civilization…That seems like the direction we are moving in…
the need to accumulate wealth is not always a need for survival silly, that's happening already. What does this have to do with a greedy person? It's not like greedy people are physically *stealing*, some of them are but not all of them. People will only have to work a few hours a day if agriculture is made much easier and faster, and this nanotechnology food is FAR off.
And as for the rest of you, you lack imagination, and a sense of what is possible. The human species is heading for a significant transition over the next few centuries, and the romantic man-woman family pair-up will be totally transcended, in favor of something much more intelligent.
okay Stalin 5-year plan. I still favour a general libertarianism than a cockeyed Statist/Fascist interevention government cynically forcing something 'for our own good.' No doubt YOU would love to be Stalin's right hand man, to make sure that everything is happening 'properly.'[/quote]
Amor fati
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Carl G wrote:she was also criticized by Sue (while being supported by ultra-feminine Sher
I find it fascinating that you thought that Sher's statement that all women should shave was somehow in support of my position against leg-shaving. I also hold this as further evidence that prejudice - such as your prejudice regarding females - damages a person's ability to accurately understand the points that a person of that group tries to make. This falsely reinforces the prejudice because you only see what you pre-judged to be there.

Since you can't see past your delusion to see reality, there is no way that you can let go of your delusions to see Reality.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Faust,
People will probably have to work HARDER to create energy and BUILD and maintain all this.
I doubt it. Take Automobiles as an example - The factories that assemble them are done primarily by robots, and only a small amount of workers are needed to oversee and do some small jobs. However, you might say that the labor comes from mining the ore to make the cars, but my argument is that eventually robots could be programmed to work in mines under the supervision of humans. The result is a drastic reduction of labor, but the labor that will be left will be highly technological and supervisory. So not only will workers of the future need to know how robots, computers, and electronics work, but they will also need to understand their industry inside out.

Eventually Universities will no longer cut it, and they will be replaced by highly specialized technological institutes, where one could specialize in certain industries. So humans won’t necessarily need to work harder, but they will need to know more, and if one isn’t of a certain intelligence then they won’t be able to get a job. And this is probably going to cause a lot of problems of those humans that just want to work all the time by doing repetitive mindless tasks. Moreover, eventually it will become more profitable/cheaper for companies to use robots over humans because you can work them 24/hours a day without vacation hours, bonuses, or even paychecks for that matter.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Faust13 wrote:
Ryan Rudolph wrote:Carl, here is what I foresee in the next few hundred years. Nanotechnology will eventually be able to create small bachelor size living complexes constructed out of some sort of metal-organic substance for less than $5000.00, and cars will get smaller, like the smart car, and cheaper, maybe around $1000.00 new.
*rolls eyes*
And eventually nanotechnology will produce food replicators that create food from atoms alone, and this type of gadget will be in every home. Technology will also become intelligent enough to do much of its own self-maintenance and self-repairs.
depends. People will probably have to work HARDER to create energy and BUILD and maintain all this.
Survival will become much easier, and so the need to accumulate wealth will be totally redundant. A greedy person will be outdated, and it will become almost impossible to enslave people because each person will only have to work a few hours a day to sustain civilization…That seems like the direction we are moving in…
the need to accumulate wealth is not always a need for survival silly, that's happening already. What does this have to do with a greedy person? It's not like greedy people are physically *stealing*, some of them are but not all of them. People will only have to work a few hours a day if agriculture is made much easier and faster, and this nanotechnology food is FAR off.
And as for the rest of you, you lack imagination, and a sense of what is possible. The human species is heading for a significant transition over the next few centuries, and the romantic man-woman family pair-up will be totally transcended, in favor of something much more intelligent.
okay Stalin 5-year plan. I still favour a general libertarianism than a cockeyed Statist/Fascist interevention government cynically forcing something 'for our own good.' No doubt YOU would love to be Stalin's right hand man, to make sure that everything is happening 'properly.'
[/quote]

Gotta tell ya, Faust

You pretty much summed up my sentiments on Ryan's nightmarish future. When you first mentioned Stalin, it all fell into place... but did Stalin live with (freeload off) his parents until he was 27?

Tomas (the tank)
VietNam veteran - 1971

Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Mother Nature is not our Friend

It will be a group that continues to blaze the trail we've seen so far from the secular humanist community (the Sam Harris's, the Dennet's, the Dawkin's) that will pioneer in genetic engineering. After the first few humans are successfully modified, you won't need an oppressive fascist regime to enforce gene therapy.

People will be lining up....