Counting and categories

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Counting and categories

Post by Kevin Solway »

Some articles regarding the Amazonian tribe who have trouble counting:

http://www.jcrows.com/withoutnumbers.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international ... 76,00.html

http://www.mathematicalbrain.com/guard04b.html

It's not that they can only distinguish three categories, "one-two-many", since they can in fact guess amounts, but their guesses become less accurate the larger the number.

In fact, their three categories really mean "hardly any", "more than hardly any", and "more than that".

So it is highly questionable whether they can even count to one, let alone two.

Inbreeding is a problem, probably because they can't remember who their relatives are. And they sometimes starve themselves and their children, probably because they can't remember to get food or eat.

I fear that this is the direction the human race is headed.

Postmodernists want to get rid of the notion of "truth", since they believe nothing is true, so we may as well get rid of the word "truth" altogether. Once we have no word for truth, we'll never have to think about it ever again. Sounds great eh! And if making money seems like too much work as well, we can always get rid of all our names for numbers, and cease educating children about basic mathematics.

Since nothing can be "proven" anyway, mathematics has to expire along with truth.
Blair

Re: Counting and categories

Post by Blair »

ksolway wrote:Inbreeding is a problem, probably because they can't remember who their relatives are. And they sometimes starve themselves and their children, probably because they can't remember to get food or eat.

I fear that this is the direction the human race is headed.
Isn't all the human race the result of inbreeding? It started something small, did it not?

I see the human race as heading in the opposite direction, towards survival, since the essence of spirit has become so scarce. people are terrified to live, and terrified to die. Life has become a commodity, with no value.
bert

Post by bert »

Do postmodernist want to get rid of the notion of truth?
why should we get rid of the word truth?
Are you obsessed of it?

If they say that nothing is true,than they also must mean that we are self-permitted to accept a truth.
Is that a foolish idea?
Ideas you conceive are their own possibility.
Is the possible refutable?
Yes,because it is 'I' who believes what things mean to me, when necessary to me.

what has 'the proving of truth' to do with the 'notion of truth'?
Can nothing be "proven" if we do not have a notion of truth?

Mathematics in itself does not care whether you look for 'the truth' or not.

Do you understand what postmodernists mean with 'truth'?
Do you understand what postmodernism means as a meta-truth?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

bert wrote:Do postmodernist want to get rid of the notion of truth?
Yes.
why should we get rid of the word truth?
It will be superfluous once we get rid of the notion of truth.
If they say that nothing is true, than they also must mean that we are self-permitted to accept a truth.
Is that a foolish idea?
They don't really know what they mean, because they don't believe anything is true, or can be proven.

what has 'the proving of truth' to do with the 'notion of truth'?
Can nothing be "proven" if we do not have a notion of truth?
That which is proven is known to be true.
Do you understand what postmodernists mean with 'truth'?
They themselves do not understand what they mean by "truth". They are like the Amazonian tribe who cannot comprehend precise numbers.
bert

Post by bert »

bert wrote:

Yes.
How do you know this?Did you hear it from someone who understands postmodernism?Did you thought it up yourself?

i'm sure that those who came up with it aren't stupid.I think it must have a deeper understanding.
Quote:
If they say that nothing is true, than they also must mean that we are self-permitted to accept a truth.
Is that a foolish idea?

They don't really know what they mean, because they don't believe anything is true, or can be proven.
Saying that 'nothing is true' does not necessarily imply the same than :not believing that anything is true.

As sevens so wisely said:in order to know you must know what you know.You must also be able to take things to their logical conclusion.

The 'nothing is true' statement ,as I conceive it, appeals from the subject his point-of-view-reality.Not as an ultimate,for an ultimate thruth must first be known before we know that we are a subject that conceives reality.
That we are conceivers is an ultimate truth - cogito ergo sum.

What postmodernism tries to point out is that there is no ultimate truth from the subject his point of view.For a belief is a tool,not an end in itself.So one only uses his tool to make things work ,that are for him necessary to work.

Nothing is true: is not a statement that invests interest in the truth of the absolute but into the truth of the conceiver conceiving reality,for all that we are bound to is 'this' reality,not the things that derive from the infinite,for they are here to consume us anyway.

That is my understanding of it.

The "war" nihilism versus postmodernism is an illusion.They are begotten of another reality.

What do you think of this,Kevin?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

bert wrote:
bert wrote:

Yes.
How do you know this?Did you hear it from someone who understands postmodernism?Did you thought it up yourself?
I have to work it out myself, since postmodernists don't know what they believe. You can't believe what other people say in any case.

For example, if you ask a Christian whether they are promoting fantasies, they will tell you they are not!
i'm sure that those who came up with it aren't stupid. I think it must have a deeper understanding.
I would like to think the same about fundamentalist and mainstream Christianity.
Saying that 'nothing is true' does not necessarily imply the same than :not believing that anything is true.
Believing that something is true doesn't mean that something is true. I can believe that God exists, but that doesn't mean God exists.
That we are conceivers is an ultimate truth.
Yes, it is an ultimate truth (ie, "truth") that we have experiences, and that there is not nothing whatsoever. But postmodernists reject any such truth.
What postmodernism tries to point out is that there is no ultimate truth from the subject his point of view.
It is my point of view that I am having experiences. That is also an ultimate truth.
Nothing is true: is not a statement that invests interest in the truth of the absolute but into the truth of the conceiver conceiving reality,for all that we are bound to is 'this' reality,not the things that derive from the infinite,for they are here to consume us anyway.
We can comprehend ultimate truths. That is the only real kind of truth.
The "war" nihilism versus postmodernism is an illusion. They are begotten of another reality.
Postmodernism is an expression of nihilism, and arises out of the desire to destroy everything, including truth.
bert

Post by bert »

You don't understand what I say,or are not willing.

I understand "nothing is true" because I realise that everything is necessary for Truth.

Any part of the whole derives its ethos from the whole.

No further comment.