David Quinn's Website

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

David:
Strictly speaking, ultimate truths are neither supported, nor contradicted, by empirical evidence. In other words, while ultimate truths will always be consistent with our experiences of the world, they do not rely on the presence of these experiences to be validated. Ultimate truths can always be proven to be true, regardless of what we experience.
And only one who is 'experiencing' wisdom can know this to be true ;)

Our experience can only validate that there exists an ever present observer. The observer of the experience is in a state of stillness that never changes. Experience validates this truth - LOL.

Jamesh:
All ultimate truths are backed up by empirical observation plus logic.
You are what you believe you are. Not one thing in your life is 'real' or has any value - only your thinking and believing has made it so. After all you believe the sun shines and it does and it is a truth of your experience. It is you that determines the value of the sunshine.

You cannot separate yourself from the sunshine as you experience it. If you are listening to music and become deeply involved in the music. If someone were to ask you who you are in that moment, you would have to say "I am the music". You cannot separate yourself from the universe or anything in the all. It is as real or empty as you believe it to be.

As I am typing these words you will soon be thinking my thoughts and be conscious that I am speaking within directly to your consciousness. You and I are one in this experience across a vast time space continuum in shared thought as you have also entered my consciousness by me reading your post (which I enjoyed).

All that remains for you to do is to enter into the ALL - consciousness. Just because you have seen through the dogma of religion; I would say do not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

It is a vast ocean of energy/consciousness that permeates the all and it is neither empty nor full - it is all there ever is. It merely vibrates at different states of velocity. Slower for mass and faster for light.

Therefore think no more of you and I as being separated. Abide with me in the impersonal realm and you will experience heaven.

Namaste and Maranatha
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

David:
It is not meant to be an explanation, but an aid to reorientating the mind so that it can realize that the problem is not real, that it is a product of delusion.

Nature, by definition, has no explanation. It is beyond the need for explanation. Asking what caused it or what happened beforehand is meaningless. There is no beforehand.

This type of answer still seems to be an easy way out for me, if ultimate truths can explain everything else why can't they describe and explain the totality.

If I accept what you say it almost means rational thought does not exist, as there is no place that I can place the ultimate fact of existence as the foundation from which ultimate facts relating to things could be known to be the complete truth. I would have nothing to rely upon for consistency, I would always be aware I was on shaky ground.

The viewpoint "rely upon" is of course just an emotional reaction, in being told that rational thought is meaningless, and therefore I am just delusion.

As far as I am concerned emotions are the only reality one can experience and thus cannot in fact be delusional. I correctly equate consciousness with emotions/feelings because the reality is that we cannot know a thought unless it we both think it and feel it in our body, chemical reactions must occur, it must occur as a sensation. Delusion cannot exist in this environment, although the process can result in disadvantage actions, if not controlled by 'rational action seeking programs' in memory.

For me to think that the "problem was not real" would mean I’d have to lie to myself. I'd have to knowingly take on another persona that said "it is irrational and thus a waste of time to attempt to seek knowledge of The Totality", while my historic self never stops saying "but…how would I have ever come to this conclusion without first having this Will for Knowing".

I guess I really do not accept that there cannot be a first cause, but I do fully accept that the first cause would have had to have come from within. I know that the first cause must be of the type that is continuous, that is of a timeless form meaning exactly what happened for it to be the first cause is still happening. OK I really do know there is no first cause, but in that case there must be an eternal process and being a process that means a change in one state to another, in which case it will become potentially identifiable.

I will continue to believe there is a primary process that is physically describable in an abstract sense, and so will mankind in general.

There is no beforehand.

No, there is a beforehand because that is the way my brain works. Sure, I don't have a problem conceptualising that there is no beforehand, if I don't then seek to understand how that can be, but that is a different matter, I still will experience life as if there was a beforehand at all times I am not thinking of the concept.

I have indeed described it fully, but you are currently obscuring it with your more superficial concerns. All that stuff above about different infinities and flipping of states completely misses the point. They have no bearing on this core issue.

They are like clouds which obscure the sun.

This is just poetry. A description needs to be an explanation to the receiver or it is not really a description. You are not saying anything other than it is what it is.

Quote:
Me: All ultimate truths are backed up by empirical observation plus logic.

David: Not so. Strictly speaking, ultimate truths are neither supported, nor contradicted, by empirical evidence. In other words, while ultimate truths will always be consistent with our experiences of the world, they do not rely on the presence of these experiences to be validated. Ultimate truths can always be proven to be true, regardless of what we experience.

Look you seem to be making ultimate truths into entities of permanent existence, whereas all they are, are forms of logic stored in the brain. Sure they will always be true, well at least the ones I believe in as being rules of existence. I probably have a few different one's to you though like some of the very basic scientific laws.

All beings require presence of experiences in order to be conscious and any form of intelligence requires validation. You can’t prove anything true unless you do so empirically.

Me: One could not form ultimate truths without first applying logic to observations. Observation + logic = science. Observation + logic + generalisation (a form of logic) = philosophy. Ultimate truths are philosophies of maximum generalisation.

David: And maximum logic.

Philosophy is just generalization + logic. Observation doesn't really come into it since philosophical truths are non-empirical in nature. We might need observation to begin with in order to formulate the generalizations, but once these have been created, observation becomes redundant.

Well I regard philosophical truths as being empirically proven by observation to the point where one can treat it like a fact, it is something that can be relied on to steer your thought along the right path. It's logical validity does not need to be re-evaluated, but the way in which it should be applied relative to other facts and to experiences does require continual re-evaluation. I therefore think observation remains part of the equation, mind you I should say that I am including stored memories as observations, as it is the same type of data - images of reality/experience.

The difference is that it doesn't matter what kind of changing relativies occur within the Totality, the Totality itself will always permanent, absolute in nature and beyond life and death. It's fundamental identity will always remain unchanged. The opposite is the case with repect to finite things. A finite thing can disappear in an instant.

It doesn't have to matter to me, but it does. Agree with the rest.

Beingof1:

You are what you believe you are. Not one thing in your life is 'real' or has any value - only your thinking and believing has made it so. After all you believe the sun shines and it does and it is a truth of your experience. It is you that determines the value of the sunshine.

You cannot separate yourself from the sunshine as you experience it. If you are listening to music and become deeply involved in the music. If someone were to ask you who you are in that moment, you would have to say "I am the music". You cannot separate yourself from the universe or anything in the all. It is as real or empty as you believe it to be.

Agreed.

As I am typing these words you will soon be thinking my thoughts and be conscious that I am speaking within directly to your consciousness. You and I are one in this experience across a vast time space continuum in shared thought as you have also entered my consciousness by me reading your post (which I enjoyed).

Bit flowery, but I know what you are saying. I just have the feeling that you are making too much out of this.

Firstly, as a consciousness it is impossible for me to be one with anything, other than when emotional chemicals give me the illusion of being so. Being conscious at the human level of intelligence means that we are the centre of the universe because that is how we must react with the rest of the universe in order to survive. We are the centre of our senses, and memory is just another sense, it provides sensory input to the calculational areas of the brain, and the brain outputs actions, which includes signals to produce certain chemicals or electric currents.

Secondly there is no direct connection between us. There is only an infinite amount of indirect connections that have produced an experience of similarity in me and you. One could say that they add up to a direct connection, and I guess they do, but that would apply to everything else as well. I am directly connected to the rest of the universe, because I am in no way separated from it.

All that remains for you to do is to enter into the ALL - consciousness

I can’t do this. I think of it as an imaginary state of being. You can’t go somewhere you don’t believe exists. The reason I don't believe that it exists is because I know what things are and I know what consciousness is.

I believe all things have awareness, but it just a physical awareness of the nature of "equal and opposite reaction". Life just has a more complex form, with many layers and switches, our consciousness comes from this complexity. Consciousness is a thing that exists because of structure, not some basic conscious spirit.

It might be that YOU can shut down certain layers that produce in you a feeling of "all-consciousness", but you are not directly connecting to some form of conscious level existence that pervades everything. This is just an internally produced state of mind, while I accept that the internal is totally caused by the external, the data coming in from outside the body is always filtered and body and brain codes it before it reaches consciousness.

It is a vast ocean of energy/consciousness that permeates the all and it is neither empty nor full - it is all there ever is. It merely vibrates at different states of velocity. Slower for mass and faster for light.

Well lets just say that my theory is somewhat different. You are not offering any causes so I can’t really comment.

Therefore think no more of you and I as being separated. Abide with me in the impersonal realm and you will experience heaven.

Not without an explanation I can use that would show why it would induce euphoria. Whenever people say this like this, when then try and evoke primevil desires in me for nobleness or heavenly feelings or whatever I really must wonder what they have done to change their brain to think and feel like this.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

Jamesh,
Two quick questions.
What do you experience other than your consciousness?
Is there anything other than energy?
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

James,
DQ: It is not meant to be an explanation, but an aid to reorientating the mind so that it can realize that the problem is not real, that it is a product of delusion.

Nature, by definition, has no explanation. It is beyond the need for explanation. Asking what caused it or what happened beforehand is meaningless. There is no beforehand.

J: This type of answer still seems to be an easy way out for me, if ultimate truths can explain everything else why can't they describe and explain the totality.

Well, these truths can certainly describe the Totality - e.g. they can descrtibe the fact that it has no beginning - but they cannot explain its origins for the very reason that it has no origins to explain.

If I accept what you say it almost means rational thought does not exist, as there is no place that I can place the ultimate fact of existence as the foundation from which ultimate facts relating to things could be known to be the complete truth. I would have nothing to rely upon for consistency, I would always be aware I was on shaky ground.
The beginninglessness of Nature is itself a sure foundation from which other truths can be deduced. This foundation is perfectly consistent and real.

I think this is one of the reasons why you have trouble with the concept of emptiness. You are still looking for some kind of concrete entity as being the core foundation of Reality, something which is tangible and fixed, and this stops you from recognizing and accepting that Nature has no concrete foundations, that it has no beginning or end, that there is no final "thing" to latch onto.

The viewpoint "rely upon" is of course just an emotional reaction, in being told that rational thought is meaningless, and therefore I am just delusion.
Rational thought continues to function perfecty well in the absence of concrete foundations.

For me to think that the "problem was not real" would mean I’d have to lie to myself. I'd have to knowingly take on another persona that said "it is irrational and thus a waste of time to attempt to seek knowledge of The Totality", while my historic self never stops saying "but…how would I have ever come to this conclusion without first having this Will for Knowing".
Well, this is something you are going to have to address inwardly. Remember, though, there is no necessary connection between how you want things to be and how things really are.

DQ: There is no beforehand.

J: No, there is a beforehand because that is the way my brain works. Sure, I don't have a problem conceptualising that there is no beforehand, if I don't then seek to understand how that can be, but that is a different matter, I still will experience life as if there was a beforehand at all times I am not thinking of the concept.

Asking what occured before the Totality is like asking a bachelor who is wife is. It's a false question that is generated from mental confusion.

J: All ultimate truths are backed up by empirical observation plus logic.

DQ: Not so. Strictly speaking, ultimate truths are neither supported, nor contradicted, by empirical evidence. In other words, while ultimate truths will always be consistent with our experiences of the world, they do not rely on the presence of these experiences to be validated. Ultimate truths can always be proven to be true, regardless of what we experience.

J: Look you seem to be making ultimate truths into entities of permanent existence, whereas all they are, are forms of logic stored in the brain.
Our conceptualizings of these truths are certainly stored in the brain, but the truths themselves are stored nowhere. They simply are.

J: One could not form ultimate truths without first applying logic to observations. Observation + logic = science. Observation + logic + generalisation (a form of logic) = philosophy. Ultimate truths are philosophies of maximum generalisation.

DQ: And maximum logic.

Philosophy is just generalization + logic. Observation doesn't really come into it since philosophical truths are non-empirical in nature. We might need observation to begin with in order to formulate the generalizations, but once these have been created, observation becomes redundant.

J: Well I regard philosophical truths as being empirically proven by observation to the point where one can treat it like a fact, it is something that can be relied on to steer your thought along the right path. It's logical validity does not need to be re-evaluated, but the way in which it should be applied relative to other facts and to experiences does require continual re-evaluation. I therefore think observation remains part of the equation, mind you I should say that I am including stored memories as observations, as it is the same type of data - images of reality/experience.
Let's consider an example - say, "all things lack inherent existence". What empirical observations or tests would you implement in order to prove or disprove this?

-
Tord

Post by Tord »

Mr. Quinn:
The beginninglessness of Nature is itself a sure foundation from which other truths can be deduced. This foundation is perfectly consistent and real.
How can you be sure that nature has no beginning?
endure...
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Tord wrote:How can you be sure that nature has no beginning?
If Nature is defined to be "everything" then it cannot logically have a beginning, since there cannot be anything before it. Time itself is part of Nature.