A=A

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
bert

Post by bert »

unknown wrote:you are talking to yourself through me. :)

get it?
yes,no,to those who notice ,I talk.
Leo

A = A ?

Post by Leo »

A=A Always

How about this,,,, i have been thinkin about it for a while.
12=1 right ? a dozen= 12 objects and that is just an example

what do u think about that
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

A "dozen" is defined to be 12.

Thus, '12 = 1 dozen' is the same as saying '12=12'

A=A still rules.

-
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

A=A where do I find this in nature? maths? physics? ( where there is no such thing as a straight line or circle ). In nature nothing is ever = to anything else. Logic is only one way of considering phenomenon (like looking through the opposite end of a telescope ). If you say A is = to itself, you remove the weight from the other side of the scale...A=A is not indicative of phenomena, but a symbolic representation of a value given by logic...in reality, cause and effect are also symbolic. Things just happen...it is science and philosophy that impose reason and logic on the world, where, in reality, they do not exist...
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Not so. As soon as anything exists at all, logic immediately comes into play. At the very least, an existing thing is identical to its own self; it doesn't have the identity of something else. A tree is what it is - a tree. It isn't, say, a giraffe.

All existence is like this. A=A, and therefore logic, is literally built into the very nature of what it means to exist.

All your talk about "straight lines and circles" and "symbolic representations of a value given by logic" is irrelevant. They have no bearing on this fundamental point.

Hilariously, you have been away for a couple of weeks and you're still performing the same unconscious comedy act as before. In every argument you list above, you are wholly relying on the truth of A=A. For example, when you assert "things just happen", you are asserting what you think is really happening in the world. You are stating that the world behaves in that particular way and not in other ways. The very thing you accuse philosophers and scientists of doing, you are doing yourself. And yet, like a chimpanzee, you are entirely oblivious!

"Things just happen" - God, how I feel like vomiting. What a cowardly conclusion to settle down in. It's difficult to think of anything more cowardly.

-