Sim Stuff

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Greg Shantz

Sim Stuff

Post by Greg Shantz »

Dave Sim talks about men, women, God and Cerebus. Some good insights.

http://cerebusfangirl.com/0805talk.html

Greg
kjones

Sim

Post by kjones »

Sim's case on why "She has got to go" hasn't gone far enough, because he equates absence of lunacy with telling the truth about Her.

I don't think he's perceived that his fundamental idea of the universe is still Her. If his response to Wildcard's question "Does your idea of God take the form of a singular entity that exists independently of the environment/universe we exist in?" is read as if God is Woman, it makes sense. How else would you explain his idea that God merely assisted in creating sin (the faithlessness of wanting to be in a physical world to forget God/spirit)? He obviously doesn't believe his idea of God is really God, and who would, if God is actually Mother, a form of guilty conscience, as I think he does. I reckon he finds lunacy comfortable.

But as long as he challenges people to think about women being lunatics, that's enough for me. I've just written an article, titled Sexuality Vs. Individuality, that better explains what Sim was getting at in those last two questions.

It can be found at http://truthpaper.50webs.com. Click on the Sexuality Vs. Individuality link in the Contents, and then go to the second part of the article (II. The Rational View).

Kelly Jones
Kevin Solway

Re: Sim Stuff

Post by Kevin Solway »

Type "dave sim" into google, and it comes up with my Dave Sim Misogyny Page as the number one link.

I'm sure he'd be so happy about that. :-)

Prospective girlfriends looking him up on google will get straight to the truth!
Kevin Solway

Sim

Post by Kevin Solway »

Sim is still overly wordy, and his views on God are whacky, but he still comes out with some interesting "quotes":
If something knocks you five degrees out of whack, the journey of a thousand miles that begins with a single step ends up thousands of miles away from its intended destination.
DHodges

Sim & Women

Post by DHodges »

This was very timely reading for me.

My current relationship is going through a rough time, you might say. I moved in with my girlfriend three years back with the explicit understanding (so I thought) that I'm not interested in getting married, not to anyone, not ever. She's been married twice before, and said she agreed that marriage just wasn't a good idea; it would just wreck a relationship, she'd learned through experience. (She also said she hated country music, but that's another rant altogether.)

About a month ago, my girlfriend went on a trip to Michigan, for her high school reunion. I don't know exactly everything that happened in Michigan, but she visited with some old friends from high school, and returned with a fresh tattoo. Some very nice work, by someone who is known as one of the best tattoo artists in Michigan. Someone she happened to date in junior high or something. I'm sure she saw some other guys she used to date. Whatever. I don't have a problem with that.

Anyway, since that trip, she has been very distant, both emotionally and physically. There's been no sex, and frankly I haven't wanted to, since besides being distant, she's been very bitchy, which I find intensely un-sexy. She also spent a week talking about, and planning, her next trip to Michigan.

Then on Monday, she was watching some TV thing that mentioned marriage. She said that's something she wants to do. When I asked her why, she said, "Because I'm getting old, and reality is setting in."

What reality is that, one may well wonder. The reality that she has no legal right to... well, to my income? That she has to keep from being completely unbearable, or her standard of living will drop?

I let the matter drop, and we've hardly talked since. If she is serious about the marriage thing, then it's clear that one of us will have to move out.

I can see why she would want to get married - but I can't think of anything I stand to gain from it. Why would I possibly want to do that?

I think that being distant, and bringing up marriage, together spell out her message: marriage or no more sex. Kind of a threat. (Damn, but women think their pussies are valuable! You'd think there weren't a few billion of them around.)

It's clear that things are headed for a break-up. Actually, I'm fine with that - but I'm not looking forward to having to go through all the bullshit in between. Once it's over, I will relish the quiet.

What reading Sim brought up for me: How do I protect myself from falling into these situations? Obviously I should have learned from the previous relationship - or the one before that. Do I need to tattoo it on my arm, like that guy from Memento? Or is something more extreme is called for - quit the job, maybe go live in a monastery or something.

Actually, I kind of like the tattoo idea. Maybe something along the lines of "Love isn't just blind - it's also deaf, dumb and stupid." Maybe with a heart with a line through it. That might work as a reminder. And maybe it would tell women, in case I forget.
sevens

Love

Post by sevens »

D,

Course I don't know the half, but a few things are apparent. After your girlfriend's trip to visit former friends, rehash old memories, feelings - she was shocked with some mid-life crisis blues (Muddy Waters style, ya know?). Her method of gaining your attention is fairly common, and still pretty immature. She's basically throwing all her baggage at you and saying, 'Here. Fix it.' Ain't too cool.

Love is about being able to communicate with yourself first. Then, in the process - show, and learn from, your partner. This is where men have gone bad, over the years - resulting in a great imbalance in the force. Jedi's Unite (smile).

When a man no longer seeks to be supported by a woman, but instead, learns about her, learns from her -- supports her -- with strength and solitude, he will be given her riches. And, he will preserve his.

.Theirs.

Meditate Melodies Through The Marketplace.
Leyla Shen

MIAO...

Post by Leyla Shen »

Actually, I kind of like the tattoo idea. Maybe something along the lines of "Love isn't just blind - it's also deaf, dumb and stupid." Maybe with a heart with a line through it. That might work as a reminder. And maybe it would tell women, in case I forget.
God damn it, DHodges, stop sitting on the fence -- you're breaking my balls! Tattoo's a bullshit, egotistical and cowardly idea.

Either dedicate yourself to the passion of Love or give it up altogether.

Dilettantism is so fucking dull!

If all you want is a fuck, go get one and be done with it! It ain't hard -- there are so many out there, right?

Christ.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Yeah, what Leyla said. Stop sitting on the fence, make a stand and follow through.

And tattoos are for losers.
DHodges

Re: Sim & Women

Post by DHodges »

David Hodges wrote:Then on Monday, she was watching some TV thing that mentioned marriage. She said that's something she wants to do. When I asked her why, she said, "Because I'm getting old, and reality is setting in."

What reality is that, one may well wonder. The reality that she has no legal right to... well, to my income? That she has to keep from being completely unbearable, or her standard of living will drop?
For those following my personal soap opera, I will note here that I completely misinterpreted what she was saying. She was saying she wanted to get married, yes. But not to me.

On her trip to Michigan, she realized that she's happier when I'm not around... and the same is true for me; it's kind of a relief when she's away. It's been over for a while, it's just that now we are recognising it and she is moving out. It's long overdue, really.

She's a better woman than I gave her credit for.
Either dedicate yourself to the passion of Love or give it up altogether.
Yeah. I give up on it. I'm out.

Actually I think I stopped being really capable of it a while back. Love is essentially creating an illusion, a lie you tell yourself about some one, a lie you tell someone about yourself.

As much as anything, a reason I stayed with her was because of her injuries. She wasn't capable of doing much of anything - working or supporting herself or her kids. So I stayed. It was, I thought, the right thing to do. I took care of her. I took care of her kids.

Now she can stand on her own. And so she will.
If all you want is a fuck, go get one and be done with it! It ain't hard -- there are so many out there, right?
Unfortunately (?), I'm not into that. I will be celibate.
Tattoo's a bullshit, egotistical and cowardly idea.
Yeah, maybe. Have you seen Memento?
Maybe more to the point, have you see Steve-O's tattoos?
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Actually I think I stopped being really capable of it a while back. Love is essentially creating an illusion, a lie you tell yourself about some one, a lie you tell someone about yourself.

How is love any more a lie/illusion than any other aspect of reality? You either invest your ego in it, or you don't, right?
As much as anything, a reason I stayed with her was because of her injuries. She wasn't capable of doing much of anything - working or supporting herself or her kids. So I stayed. It was, I thought, the right thing to do. I took care of her. I took care of her kids.

I would have respected that if it had've been driven by a more conscious and non-egotistical effort. Quite the unselfish act, really. Could have been a much more fruitful exercise.
Unfortunately (?), I'm not into that. I will be celibate.
Well, I'm certainly no promoter of promiscuity.

Celibacy is good for the soul.
Yeah, maybe. Have you seen Memento?
Maybe more to the point, have you see Steve-O's tattoos?
No, I hadn't seen Steve-O's tatts! Still think it's cowardly and egotistical, though. I mean, to me, it says "look at me, fuck you bitches! Can't have it." I say -- after a shrug -- who fucking wants it, cocksucker?

Bit like the phallus sucking ice-cream commercial women, really...
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Relationships stink. I learned that the hard way finally about seven or eight years ago.

I like men. I like the looks of 'em. But I loathe the bullshit more than I like the looks. I love living alone more than anything. I love the solitude so much that I don't like men on my property. Sex is all right but, once you have had it enough times, it is pretty much the same ol' same ol.'

Dicks are a dime a dozen.

You had one, you had 'em all.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I don't believe in celibacy. I do not think anyone should abstain from sex who has the desire for sex.

I do not think that forced celibacy is good for whatever soul.

Faizi
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

I dunno. I had celibacy "forced" on me from a very young age. Reckon it did me some good. Made me think and reflect on things.

I don't think the girls, or boys, who were screwing around when I wasn't have turned out any better than I have for it.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

MKFaizi wrote:Relationships stink. I learned that the hard way finally about seven or eight years ago.
I guess there are some things that I've just insisted on learning the hard way.
Sex is all right but, once you have had it enough times, it is pretty much the same ol' same ol.'
True enough. But then, I still have vanilla ice cream now and then.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Sex is far different from eating vanilla ice cream. Vanilla ice cream does not demand an emotional committment from you. Vanilla ice cream cannot become pregnant. Vanilla ice cream does not want to get married.

You just eat it and it's gone.

No big deal.

Sex is kind of a big deal -- even without the emotional consequences.

Faizi
DHodges

L-U-V

Post by DHodges »

Leyla Shen wrote: How is love any more a lie/illusion than any other aspect of reality? You either invest your ego in it, or you don't, right?
I don't think you can have regular romantic love without having your ego heavily invested in it.
I would have respected that if it had've been driven by a more conscious and non-egotistical effort. Quite the unselfish act, really. Could have been a much more fruitful exercise.
Well, it was what it was. It was all entered into for the mostly purely selfish of reasons.
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

MKFaizi wrote:I like men. I like the looks of 'em. But I loathe the bullshit more than I like the looks.
Yeah. I don't think it's possible to have a sexual or romantic relationship without a bunch of bullshit going along with it.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

I don't think you can have regular romantic love without having your ego heavily invested in it.
I agree. Nothing worse than regular, romantic love.
Well, it was what it was. It was all entered into for the mostly purely selfish of reasons.
A common practice, DHodges. Funny how you never really end up getting what you want, though. Or, do you?
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Well, it is kind of a nice twist that the lady in question has made a clear decision that does not infringe on you -- David Hodges.

She wants to be married. I am sure she will find a nice husband.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Yeah. I don't think it's possible to have a sexual or romantic relationship without a bunch of bullshit going along with it.
Tons of it.

I always gravitated to men who were not good husband material, for the most part -- the one exception being Faizi but he knew that he was dying. So he was not good husband material either.

I recently learned that my last relationship dude was busted in Key West on cocaine distribution charges. Then, he jumped bail to the tune of twenty five thousand dollars. I reckon he must be in Europe somewhere. That relationship lasted five years. I never knew he was a coke dealer.

I did wonder how he had so much money. He was a master builder of exquisite houses but not THAT exquisite.

Riding that train, high on cocaine.

That is an extreme case but there is always deceit in relationships.

Self deceit is the worst. Just not worth it.

Faizi