Etymology of the word "genius"

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Etymology of the word "genius"

Post by Kevin Solway »

Ras866 wrote:I was looking at the etymology of the word "genius". It is a latin-rooted word from about 1400 a.d. and this is what it said:

"1390, from L. genius "guardian deity or spirit which watches over each person from birth; spirit, incarnation, wit, talent."
Yes, I would agree that the term "genius" equates roughly with the term "spirit".

But, ultimately, the only true spirit is "God", or the Infinite, the Totality. That is why the most perfect genius is the one who understands and aligns himself most closely with this Absolute spirit.

Different people can tap into this "spirit" to various degrees, and therefore exhibit genius to various degrees. A great musician or artist taps into this "spriit" to an extremely small degree - compared to the fully enlightened sage - and therefore exhibits a very small, or a negligible amount of genius.
Foresta Gump

Hi Kevin...the gift for gab here!

Post by Foresta Gump »

Kevin

Thanks for sharing the post above, it clarifies things clearly.

I know this to be true, I have a close spiritual oneness with the higher spirit - God, since I was a small girl of 5. And God knows it too, he gives me all my hearts desires. But, I have very little desire left. He is preparing me for something soon but I am not sure what it is exactly. I know this sounds unlikely, but its true. My heavenly father is everyones for the taking. When a person has this spiritual connection with God, the love that transpires is ultimate. I love God as I love myself. God provides my needs.
God is my husband as the Bible says. I am not a christian for people, I am a christian for God. I am not religious. When I bash people I mostly consider it corrective critisism, I could be less abrasive.

If people understand Gods nature, and get to know God through the Bible, they will see God favors the meek, and not those with lots of money who ignor God, for it is the meek who shall inherit the earth - God's words!

For many many years I found it very difficult to believe in the Bible's content, I was 'the' doubting Tomas. No one could change my mind, except God.
God miraculously changed my mind, or I did, one of us did anyway. I now see the Bible's contents as being TRUTH as God says it is. You come to learn and not brainwashed that the Bible speaks truth, because God himself gives you insight when he knows your heart is true. God chooses individuals.

God made man as head of the household, I was raised this way.
When my father spoke he ruled and we all knew it. We were obedient to him, because that is what this man expected from us. This man was a sinner, but so is everyone, no one is exempt from being a sinner. But, people deliberately sin, thats the sin. If I spoke I am no sinner I would be a liar in God's eyes. I try not to sin, its the dirt that speweth from my vile abrasive tongue.

I know this all sounds like sappy crap, but its not, I believe, and we all must believe in something, so to me the Bible is the best book . And I seldom read it, but its the living spirit within us all, called our will, that connects with the spirit of God!

Give and God will give you back tenfold!
Ras866

Post by Ras866 »

ksolway said:
Yes, I would agree that the term "genius" equates roughly with the term "spirit".

But, ultimately, the only true spirit is "God", or the Infinite, the Totality. That is why the most perfect genius is the one who understands and aligns himself most closely with this Absolute spirit.

Different people can tap into this "spirit" to various degrees, and therefore exhibit genius to various degrees. A great musician or artist taps into this "spriit" to an extremely small degree - compared to the fully enlightened sage - and therefore exhibits a very small, or a negligible amount of genius.
Okay... I am seeing how your use of the term "genius" can be applied to your ideas. Just as there is artistic genius (i.e. that Arkaine girl), there is musical genius (Mozart), scientific genius (Einstein), spiritual genius (Jesus, Buddha), phylisophical genius (Socrates,), etc.

I'm suppose the administrators fall into the spiritual and phylisophical genius areas.

Ok, I get that.

Or is it that there is no other type of genius other than phylisophical and spiritual... That the term "genius", according to you guys and other wise people, is only reserved for those that comprehend The Absolute?

And I'm just curious...

DavidQuinn000 said:
The world has hijacked the term "genius" from wise people and mistakenly applied it to mere craftsmen. I'm simply trying to restore it to its original meaning.
Which wise people, other than yourselves, defined the term "genius" in the first place? It seems as if you're saying that the term "genius" was coined by some wise person/persons in the past... who were they?
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

An atheist speaks:you guys are soooo funny! Your religio-philosophical points - of - view would have indeed been ground breaking back in the 13th Century!

Keep up the good work Foresta!

written by lightening for your edification
Kevin Solway

Re: Hi Kevin...the gift for gab here!

Post by Kevin Solway »

Foresta Gump wrote:I have a close spiritual oneness with the higher spirit - God
Please explain exactly what you mean by "God".
Kevin Solway

Meaning of genius

Post by Kevin Solway »

Okay... I am seeing how your use of the term "genius" can be applied to your ideas. Just as there is artistic genius (i.e. that Arkaine girl), there is musical genius (Mozart), scientific genius (Einstein), spiritual genius (Jesus, Buddha), phylisophical genius (Socrates,), etc.

I'm suppose the administrators fall into the spiritual and phylisophical genius areas.

Ok, I get that.

Or is it that there is no other type of genius other than phylisophical and spiritual
You guessed right in the last thing you said. There is only the one type of genius, but there are varying degrees depending on how deeply a person understands and aligns themselves with true spirit (the Infinite).

The very greatest artists, scientists, mathematicians, etc, barely deserve the term "genius", but that is the closest to genius most people can conceive of.

That the term "genius", according to you guys and other wise people, is only reserved for those that comprehend The Absolute?
Yes, since the Absolute is the only true spirit.
It seems as if you're saying that the term "genius" was coined by some wise person/persons in the past... who were they?
The word was probably coined by some person who possessed a good deal of genius, and if it wasn't, then it needs to be re-coined, or redefined.
Foresta Gump

God is the TRUTH the WAY and the LIGHT

Post by Foresta Gump »

God is the spirit name for TRUTH, the spirit within us all connected with God - truth, and the reality is ourselves, we are as gods, but not 'the' God. God is the TRUTH, the WAY, and the LIGHT.

I don't know, where the heck we came from, no more than anyone else. I don't know who the heck God is, according to the Bible God is the creator of the heavens and earth. I accept that easily.
Unless someone can come up with a better answer besides that we just evolved. How was life created? is a question that only God will reveal to all of us, even those in the graves. Some things are not meant for man's understanding, God will reveal these things. Stated right in the Bible! Look at what the Bible speaks of in the end times, famines, pestilences, earthquakes, nation will rise against nation, its happening now as the Bible depicts.

I've gotta go to sleep now goodnight

Donna Thompson.
Kevin Solway

Re: God is the TRUTH the WAY and the LIGHT

Post by Kevin Solway »

Foresta Gump wrote:I don't know who the heck God is, according to the Bible God is the creator of the heavens and earth. I accept that easily.
Unless someone can come up with a better answer besides that we just evolved.
Well I don't believe in the existence of that kind of God, so anything you say about God will be meaningless to me.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Zarathustra wrote:
An atheist speaks:you guys are soooo funny! Your religio-philosophical points - of - view would have indeed been ground breaking back in the 13th Century!
You're speaking to the co-founders of the Australian Atheist Society no less. So I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here.

-
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

Ras866 wrote:
DQ: The world has hijacked the term "genius" from wise people and mistakenly applied it to mere craftsmen. I'm simply trying to restore it to its original meaning.

R: Which wise people, other than yourselves, defined the term "genius" in the first place? It seems as if you're saying that the term "genius" was coined by some wise person/persons in the past... who were they?
I don't know their names. Is it important? The important point is that a proper description of genius can only come from a proper genius, whatever his name is.

-
Ras866

Post by Ras866 »

DQ: The world has hijacked the term "genius" from wise people and mistakenly applied it to mere craftsmen. I'm simply trying to restore it to its original meaning.

R: Which wise people, other than yourselves, defined the term "genius" in the first place? It seems as if you're saying that the term "genius" was coined by some wise person/persons in the past... who were they?

DQ: I don't know their names. Is it important? The important point is that a proper description of genius can only come from a proper genius, whatever his name is.
Alright ... suit yourselves. If you feel it's necessary to make up a new definition for an already existing word with a long-time established meaning, then carry on...

Ras
Kevin Solway

genius

Post by Kevin Solway »

Ras866 wrote:. . . If you feel it's necessary to make up a new definition for an already existing word with a long-time established meaning, then carry on...
I've agreed that genius does in fact roughly equate with the old definition of "spirit", mentioned at the top, so all I'm really doing is clarifying the old definition.
Last edited by Kevin Solway on Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

In any case, definitions are just tools. They don't have to be fixed in concrete for all time. If they're no longer doing their job properly, then they need to be changed. Just like any other tool.

Ideally, the concept of "genius" should direct attention to the highest mode of existence open to mankind. Artistic/scientific genius is not the summit. The human race needs to be aware of this. The current concept of genius doing the rounds in the world isn't doing its job properly. It isn't raising our sights high enough.

-
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

mr ksolway,

I don't think you are an atheist - really, but rather, a naughty little boy, or girl or... your terminology runs deep with so many godly little poisons: spirit, ultimate, bla, bla, bla...these words like god mean nothing, point to nothing and are nothing. they are simply bits of little nothings that have fallen off the great nothing. another way of putting it: it was that god-sick, anaemic, syphylis ridden, horse hugging, sister loving, pedo recluse nietzsche who once said we have killed god, but still love his poisons...sorry, but your cup runeth over my friend...

the following are a few words written by a silly atheist friend of mine: 'suppose you learn that tomorrow you are going to die. probably death comes to you under the cultural sign of the uncanny, the ghostly, the lonely, the loss of everything, the unfair, the terribly sad, the waste, useless extinction and so on. so naturally it brings on a cultural cringe. but now look more closely at death. it would appear different to an ancient viking, or eskimo, or samurai, medieval monk whatever bla, bla, bla. look more closely and the sign of death becomes translucent light-weight - a floating signifier. after you have set aside cultural stories, cultural prejudices and religious waffle that you tell yourself, then you ask - what the fuck is it? the strictly undecidable, the final signless, and as such it is not all that unfamiliar, it is just another instance of the moments of inpenetrable mystery we live through every day. each moment is open-ended, the moment of death, just another moment. the best thing atheists can do with such moments, is to yeild themselves to them trusting themselves to the mystery, in that way they learn to care for life more than its meaning.....'

atheists have another problem: language, which, ironically, has developed itself out of and in relation to the church: the great nothing's representative herebelow....it has even shackled science...irony of ironies: how, as atheists, can you dispose of nothing? ah, never mind, have faith my friend..opps!

god + atheism = nothing. ya can't have one without the other. true or false?

Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Nobody will take you on. Haven't you got that yet?

Flamboyant poodles come here to yap for attention all the time. They are treated accordingly and ignored.

You will either sit and roll over, or go find some more naive food providers.
sevens

Buddha Art

Post by sevens »

Kevin/David,

Have there ever been any awakened artists or musicians that you know of?

Their ability to bring audiences to new levels of consciousness would be remarkable. By converting the mode of mind that produces omniscience, they would essentially be able to tune into their environment, through their instruments - a perfect unification - creating with causality.

Also,

When 'entered into omniscience', there are no need for words (did ya know that? (smile). Your mind becomes one with the Universe, and with that, you are given perceptual powers. These perceptual powers are utilized using the same processes that artists use in developing conceptions (only on a much more diffused scale). Ultimately, a Buddha (the highest form of genius) is able to master anything that they set their minds to.

(grins a bit)
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

hey toast. you think too highly of me...so what are you posturing here? an ivory tower club for geniuses? as a non-genius phd grad (physics) and mensa member - I doubt it, I mean, most of the content seems to fall short of even my own unenlightened mentality. but if that's what you are selling, then why ' let all this riff-raff into the room ' (pink floyd - the wall) surely you could do something to keep the scum at bay - eh? an IQ test perhaps? pyschological eugenics? Mmm, perhaps not, then there'd be no-one to talk to...

a few personal observations: for the most, forums here read like gerty twinkbucket's column from a women's own magazine. I'm just trying to lift the game, that's all. oh, yeah, my girlfriend said to remind you that vaginas are for licking, not looking at....you wanker!

dahhh!

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

seven, sorry mate, but you're so full of shit that you make me want to puke!!!!

please, please, if there is a genius in the building - show yourself!! enough of this new age, god spew, mental masturbation mind sludge!!!!!!

extract from my poem 'blind man's bluff':

...and I thought of michaelangelo, pascal, yeats,
and I tell you, I couldn't wait to exit the ether
of your achromatic kitchen. So now you know
my dear, that nirvana has no place
for the likes of me, squat in a collage of karma
overflowing with beauty and mystery.

dahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sevens

Don't Be The Ape

Post by sevens »

Come on, Zara.

Takes one to know one.

You know?

Don't like my language? Well, cool.

(Maybe your lady friend will appreciate my linguistics, then)

Don't really have to take an IQ test, or solve some puzzles -- I just read

my words.

You know, the ones that form on those multi-dimensional invisible walls.

Peace?
Kevin Solway

Definitions

Post by Kevin Solway »

zarathustra wrote:. . . spirit, ultimate, bla, bla, bla...these words like god mean nothing, point to nothing and are nothing.
If they are defined to mean "everything" then they in fact mean the exact opposite of nothing.
. . . yeild themselves to them trusting themselves to the mystery, in that way they learn to care for life more than its meaning.....'
That's a big issue I have with common atheists . . . I don't believe in this "mystery" lark. I think that such "mystery" is only new-age waffle or scientistic drivel.

Death is just another moment. Full stop. There's no "mystery" anywere involved. Cause and effect continues just the same afterwards as it did before.
god + atheism = nothing. ya can't have one without the other. true or false?
It depends how you define those three terms.
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

ksolway, your terminology unmasks you: 'spirit,' 'the ultimate' you've just called god by his other names. as for 'mystery'
you twit, your conclusions that there is no mystery to anything not even death, demonstrates what you really stand for: the fibrilations of your own arrogant ego, which seesaws betwixt christainity and nihilism, depending on the mood of the audience. you are what silly old nietzsche once called 'an actor'...do you really expect me to take you seriously? fuck me dead! Give me a break will ya! I mean, on one hand you and your buddy sevens lush lush over genius in music and art aspiring to aesthetic hights...on the other you tell me there is no mystery to anything, everything is just flatline...I am a poet, physicist and musician with talent enough to know that if 'artists' had no mystery to confront, they simply wouldn't create - why bother?

sevens

Velocity

Post by sevens »

Zara,

(Can I call ya Zara?)

True Enlightenment (word has so many conceptions - and I'm gonna add another!): Reality is your Mind. Everyday you can create with it. Everyday is a beautiful mystery. I mean, what will you create? What will you link together? - with the truest logic and creativity! - back and forth through spacetime, quantum causality! Man, you'll begin to form new neural networks, until you develop many wonderful powers of mind. For you have found the source - endless wisdom, for endless creation.

Thank you, and a goodnight.
Last edited by sevens on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bert

Post by bert »

On top stands:Genius forums,yet there is the discussion what genius actually is...

Well,the vague term 'seeing strangly' suggests quite a bit.But what kind of seeing strangly?How would you describe it?What makes the potency of being a genius;or rather 'seeing geniusfull'?!

Anyone?

Zara,would you describe yourself as a Nietzschean?
Or is that just a mask of how manly you think yourself to be?Nietzschean manly well to speak.

@sevens,
Words indeed can have more interpretations behind them,but inventing one should be taken with care,don't you think?
A term as 'True Enlightenment' is often (and maybe usually) used when one 'realises the reality' behind something;but saying that "reality is your mind" is quite something different,don't you think?
knowing that reality is your mind does not garanty you having the vision of realising what that means at the time being,or does it?
sevens

True Enlightenment

Post by sevens »

Hey bert,

Since our egos are so crucial to our perceptions, the word 'true' is placed beside 'enlightenment' - for placement inside the moral mind (crucial for clear light). Their combination should cut threw all those refracting shards of light, that just diffuse the purpose. 'True Enlightenment', no complication - your Mind is where the vital ethic of truth, and the refreshing source of light lives. Seems obvious enough. But, like gathered sand, formed into a mirror, then into air - our Mind perceives Reality in stages, until finally - it is.

We're all in outer space, searching for our spectral line code - clear light in the vacuum. Like a star, our psychology (made of star dust and stellar math) takes the correct amount of time -- pressure versus gravity - to form.
Kitoak

Post by Kitoak »

I've been watching this board for a while, reading, but not posting. But thought I would post here.

Those that have to give proof of being a Genius, are the first people that are most likely fall short of being one.

Those that have to prove others are or aren't smart or put them down because they don't sound that way, are never people work talking to, or with about any matter that would even be remotely considered Genius.

Regardless of how you define the work Genius, or how it is measured in any form. The first requirement of anyone who was ever remotely considered a Genius freely gave his knowledge to others, and helped the fellow along his side.

Does it truely matter if one has belief in God, the Bible to help mankind move forward?

Does it truely matter that a title or label be placed on any such individual?

Wouldn't a true genius not worry about a word, title or definition? Isn't the solution, and journey more important than an end reward?

Wouldn't those be the first signs of a Genius?