Bob Dylan and genius

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

DavidQuinn000 wrote:I have always wished that a major worldly celebrity, such as a Frank Zappa or a Richard Dawkins or even the Pope, would openly repudiate his career path and make a noisy entry into the philosophic path. That would be really powerful. But as far as I know, no one has yet done it - at least not since Nietzsche, and he was only a minor professor of philology at that.
I like the way Esther Vilar puts it:
A man who changes his way of life, or rather his profession (for life and profession are synonymous to him), is considered unreliable. If he does it more than once, he becomes a social outcast and remains alone. The fear of being rejected by society must be considerable. Why else will a doctor (who as a child liked to observe tadpoles in jam jars) spend his life opening up nauseating growths, examining and pronouncing on human excretions? Why else does he busy himself night and day with people of such repulsiveness that everyone else is driven away? Does a pianist who, as a child, liked to tinkle on the piano really enjoy playing the same Chopin nocturne over and over again all his life? Why else does a politician who as a schoolboy discovered the techniques of manipulating people successfully continue as an adult, mouthing words and phrases as a minor government functionary? Does he actually enjoy contorting his face and playing the fool and listening to the idiotic chatter of other politicians? Surely he must once have dreamed of a different kind of life. Even if he became President of the United States, wouldn't the price be too high?
No, one can hardly assume men do all this for pleasure and without feeling a desire for change. They do it because they have been manipulated into doing it: their whole life is nothing but a series of conditioned reflexes, a series of animal acts. A man who is no longer able to perform these acts, whose earning capacity is lessened, is considered a failure. He stands to lose everything – wife, family, home, his whole purpose in life – all things in fact which give him security.
Of course one might say that a man who has lost his capacity for earning money is automatically freed from his burden and should be glad about this happy ending – but freedom is the last thing he wants. He functions, as we shall see, according to the principle of pleasure in non-freedom. To be sentenced to life-long freedom is a worse fate than life-long slavery.
To put it another way: man is always searching for someone or something to enslave him, for only as a slave does he feel secure – and, as a rule, his choice falls on a woman. Who or what is this creature who is responsible for his lowly existence and who, moreover, exploits him in such a way that he only feels safe as her slave, and her slave alone?
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Interesting discussion and I will make more remarks upon it in the next day or so. I am actually off work this week and it is a great pleasure. It had been so long that I had forgotten how good that can feel.

Anyway, in response to Kevin's quotes from Esther Vilar, I have no pity on a man who allows himself to become slave to a woman or a woman who allows herself to become slave to a man. Such slavery is the most slovenly excuse for disgrace imaginable.

I teach my daughter every single day of my life that the last thing she needs is a man. I do not discourage her from frolicking with them from time to time if that is what she wants to do. But if I impart nothing else to her in my remaining life, I want to impart to her that she does not need a man to live. As a fifty two year old and a seventeen year old woman, the two of us have differences but I do think she is beginning to see the reasonableness of what I am telling her.

I also strive to impart to my son that he does not need a woman.

It is kind of like teaching them not to cry when they strike out in baseball. I always taught then that striking out was nothing; to not be so attached to the game. They are each free to make their own decisions and to fall as foolishly in love as any other asshole. But it is my hope -- and I think that I may have succeeded -- that I have imparted to them that sort of detachment in relationships.

If so, then, I have given to them that small iota of wisdom that took me forty five years to understand.

Thanks for responding to my post, David. I will write tomorrow evening.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

David Quinn:
Ideally, I would like to them to make enough philosophical advancement to leave music behind. Put out two or three albums if you have to, which will give the kids something to listen to, and then move on. Don't keep churning out album after album of increasingly inferior product.

Ideally, yes. But, as you know, the world is a far less than ideal place. Given that clear fact, do you really expect a rock star to stop recording music to give himself to study of philosophy?

That said, I must say that I cannot imagine sustaining my interest in music or any art for twenty-five years or more. There are painters who actually do that. When I was in art school, there were many teachers who painted the same crap for twenty or more years. I reckon it starts off as youthful passion and becomes as routine as opening the refrigerator. More routine if you become renowned for it. Then, you have a formula.

I realize that there may be possible exceptions. Picasso, Michaelangelo, maybe. Da Vinci had other interests outside painting -- invention, science. God knows, you would have to have some outside interests to escape the tedium of painting.

Then, you have the Rolling Stones who still perform rigorously into their sixties. I do give them credit for staying in good shape.

I just cannot imagine, having done the same thing for forty years, not being bored with it. I have been a nurse for about twenty five years. Just a job. Nothing special about it. If I was as wealthy as the Rolling Stones, I think that I would stop being a nurse. I cannot afford to stop being a nurse and, despite Leo Bartolli's great fortune in getting disability, that is not the usual thing here. Besides that, I personally do not want to be disabled in this country. That is my personal thing, of course. I would rather work than to be at the mercy of the government completely. Ideally, I would love to be retired but I do not expect to ever retire because then I will become a ward of the government.

Needless to say, if I won the lottery that I never play, I would gladly quit work. I would be independent. Even then, it would probably take me a settling down period to get down to just philosophy. I would indulge in botany first.

I realize that things are different for you and I understand and respect that. Dependence on a government pension -- despite whatever Leo tells you -- is different here. I don't want the government in my life more than it has to be in my life presently.
Zappa, as great as he was, basically said all that he had to say through music by the end of the sixties. Everything after that was needless repetition.
Definitely.

He did do some innovative things with the synclaviar -- forgive my spelling -- I am too lazy to look it up -- and he did some fairly innovative things with jazz and neo-classical music.

But in his latter years, he basically spent a lot of time in the basement working with the synclaviar. From what I have read, he was a day sleeper and worked at night. His kids had to tread very easily around him. He spent his time with this one instrument. Given his advanced prostate cancer, I reckon he was in some pain.

While I admire his persistance in a way -- he got through disco and other crap -- I can't imagine how he did not become bored with it at some point -- like after Ensemble Modern. He was intelligent and articulate. He was wealthy.

My guess is that he was probably bored toward the end but he was sick and dying. Too late so he tinkered with the synclaviar until he died.

My fifteen year old son is playing electric guitar. He taught himself a lot. A sixteen year old kid gives him one half hour lessons once a week and he has improved in an amazing way. He has very big hands with extraordinarily long fingers. He has talent and I encourage him. He is trying to play Steve Vai. If he becomes a musician, good for him.

As long as I live, I will encourage him and my daughter to ultimately move toward philosophy. By that, I mean life without attachment or needless encumbrance; life that is circumspect and introspective. Life without delusion.

ANY delusion.

That is a tall gift. But that is the one thing I want to leave them.

Faizi
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Surely anyone who thinks hard enough about music or art will get sick of it. I don't think Zappa thought hard enough music to get sick of it. I think he was probably the most innovative rock and roller, but pretty much everything he wrote is just thrown together, like he just jotted it down on some music paper and told his band to play it, whatever it was. A lot of it wasn't even written at all, just studio jamming. Maybe throwing stuff together the pinnacle of musical genius, I don't know. It is just music.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Marsha wrote:
I realize that things are different for you and I understand and respect that. Dependence on a government pension -- despite whatever Leo tells you -- is different here. I don't want the government in my life more than it has to be in my life presently.
You could always live on the cheap in a cave in Idaho.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

How much does a cave in Idaho cost?

My mortgage here is about five thirty five a month. Not bad for a three bedroom house with two baths and nearly an acre of land. I have struggled from time to time but I have made it and I only have a little over a year before this house is paid for.

Rent on a two bedroom apartment would cost more than I am paying now.

When I wrote what I wrote, I was not complaining about my position. My wants are very small. When my mortgage is finished, I will decide whether I want to stay here or sell it for a smaller place. My inclination for the past two years has been to sell and purchase in cash a small cabin out somewhere in this county. My inclination now is somewhat that I will just stay here and fix things how I want them completely. I am working on making my yard into a garden and I could have a small greenhouse or solarium added on. Once the kids are gone, I will have one hell of a lot of room. I could rent out the back two rooms or I could use one room for a library or something. Maybe a small roller skating rink.

If I stay, I plan to hire a contractor and have all hard wood floors installed throughout the house. I have spare furnishings and that is how I like it. A few minor repairs and painting and I'm done. I live in town but I am surrounded by woods. Now that the kids -- not just my kids but all the other kids are growing up -- it is quiet here.

I may just stay.

Perhaps, Leo might like that cave in Idaho.

Faizi
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Matt,

I am not a musician so I could be wrong but I don't think Zappa just threw things together. From what I have read of him, he was very particular. He would not use musicians unless they were up to a certain standard -- Steve Vai, for example. Zappa was always about jazz and classical music. Even in the early days.

His influences were Stravinsky and Varese. On top of that, basic rhythm and blues and jazz and doowop. He was a composer. Never a rock musician. One of my favorite of his compositions is Dog Breath In The Afternoon. I love it in its doowop form as well as in its classical and jazz forms.

Have you listened to Zappa beyond that stupid Eskimo song that everyone loves?

He probably did just throw that one together.

Have you ever heard, "He's So Gay?"

Astounding vocals.

Faizi
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Nah, I don't want to get into a music debate right now. Fuck that, I hate music anyway.

Yeah, Ike Willis is a great singer.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I did not want to get into a debate either.

I still like music at times. I do not crave listening to it everyday or anything. In fact, I seldom listen to it. In the car, silence is usually welcome. When I do listen to the radio in the car, I usually turn it to a talk station. No matter the subject. Sometimes, it's about cars.

Weird, kind of. I do manage to learn a little about cars once in a while.

I listen to music only when I particularly want to listen to music. I am certainly not addicted to it by any means.

Interesting that you say that you hate music. I take it that at one time you loved music. How is your current hatred of music different from the love you once had for it?

Do you think that hate might be part of letting go of the attachment to music?

Just curious.

Faizi
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

I did love music a lot.

I think my current feelings about it are a combination of boredom with it, the fact the I still have ideas about composition that I would like to try out sometime (but whenever I try I find I'm not motivated enough about them to do the work, so I have these kind of lingering, unresolved ideas about it), and past failures in music that leave me with feelings of regret and humiliation about them and some more unsolved musical problems dealing with the social struggles involved with it.

I don't really hate music but if I listen to it for awhile I'll start to put myself into it, and that soon leaves me in a state of total disgust for it.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

So, why put yourself into it? Can you listen to music without that feeling attachment?

That is a genuine question -- not a come-on.

My son is playing guitar now. Just a beginner yet though he has learned a lot quickly. He is trying to learn some Steve Vai stuff. He lacks some confidence. I told him that his fingers are just as long as Vai's and there is no reason he can't do it. Buster has enormous hands with extremely long fingers -- don't know the genetic connection there because my hands are smaller than the hands of most midgets -- no kidding -- I suffer mechanically for the small size of my hands -- kind of weird. So, he did manage to play this one Vai tune.

While he was playing, he said to me, "The guitar is addictive for me. Once I pick it up and start playing, I can't stop. I played from eight o'clock last night until two am."

For a fifteen year old, I think that is fine. Playing the guitar provides him access into an inner space -- kind of like meditation -- that I think is all right for a fifteen year old.

Then, you look at Steve Vai's web site. Dude has about one hundred or so custom built guitars. Mega-addiction.

Of course, he makes his living playing guitar. He is a master.

Just kind of interesting -- the question or problem of getting past the addiction of music.

If you get past the addiction, what do you do then? Go to dental school? Addicted to teeth? I kind of don't think it's the same thing.

I think the reason music can be addictive is because it can provide that deep meditative state but artificially contrived; a purely pleasurable meditative state rather than one that is productive of something that is other than mere pleasure -- pure introspective thought.

I have been an artist. I think putting on layers of paint is a meditative process, too, but it is a meditation of pure pleasure. Even if you make some philosophical progress in the exercise of putting on paint, the paint provides the tactile pleasure.

Words can also bring pleasure.

There is nothing wrong with pleasure but I kind of think that in order to become a philosopher, you have to get past those pleasurable creative addictions.

I am not expressing it well but I reckon what I am trying to say is that you have to get past the pleasure of the medium.

Any thoughtful input into what I have tried to express is welcome -- because I do not think that I have nailed it.

Faizi
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Show Buster THIS SITE. A good laff and you get all the tabs for the licks.
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

MKFaizi wrote:So, why put yourself into it? Can you listen to music without that feeling attachment?
Well, sure, but it's like masturbation. You can do it without thinking of a sexual situation, but it's more fun when I'm thinking about poking Britney Spears in the ass while yanking her hair out, lashing her with a whip and screaming "Who's your daddy!" the top of my lungs. It's just not the same.
My son is playing guitar now. Just a beginner yet though he has learned a lot quickly. He is trying to learn some Steve Vai stuff. He lacks some confidence. I told him that his fingers are just as long as Vai's and there is no reason he can't do it. Buster has enormous hands with extremely long fingers -- don't know the genetic connection there because my hands are smaller than the hands of most midgets -- no kidding -- I suffer mechanically for the small size of my hands -- kind of weird. So, he did manage to play this one Vai tune.

While he was playing, he said to me, "The guitar is addictive for me. Once I pick it up and start playing, I can't stop. I played from eight o'clock last night until two am."

For a fifteen year old, I think that is fine. Playing the guitar provides him access into an inner space -- kind of like meditation -- that I think is all right for a fifteen year old.
Yeah, I think music's a good part of a well-rounded education.

I've been trying to figure out the mathematical connection to it because musicians seem to statistically do better at math than non-musicians. I think it's because of the relations of time that you have to deal with in keeping a rhythm. You have to be able to hold a piece of time in your head and chop it up into halves or quarters or thirds or three quarters and a quarter or whatever--you can make it as complicated as you want. I think it helps your visualization skills to practice doing things like that.

Plus, in playing an instrument you learn a lot of funky tricks to play certain combinations of notes. Mathematics (all of science, really) is mostly about developing/learning a bag of tricks that you dig into to meet challenges. Most scientists and mathematicians can't even explain the principles behind what they do because they're so dependent on their tricks that they rarely think about the theories as to why these tricks work in the first place. I think that's why scientists are so narrow minded all the time. They just care about what works and that's about it.

But anyway, chopping up time and an assortment of tricks are what I think the connections between music and math are. The actual notes would go under the tricks category. There's nothing really mathematical about choosing what notes to play. That's more about "what works" and personal taste.
Then, you look at Steve Vai's web site. Dude has about one hundred or so custom built guitars. Mega-addiction.

Of course, he makes his living playing guitar. He is a master.
Yeah, he is awesome. He's a good player to learn from, definitely. Hendrix is good, too. He had a lot of finesse that I'm not even sure someone like Vai could mimic exactly. Vai is a lot more technical, though. Both of them are probably too hard for a beginner, though, really. As long as he plays things he actually likes, though, he'll stick with it.
Just kind of interesting -- the question or problem of getting past the addiction of music.

If you get past the addiction, what do you do then? Go to dental school? Addicted to teeth? I kind of don't think it's the same thing.
Music isn't really that addictive, I don't think. I used to think I could get a band together and make some killer music, but I could never get that going. I've always wanted to experiment with synergy but I could never find musicians who would buy into it. Musicians are either about copying someone or taking over the whole band with their ideas. There aren't many who will look at the whole thing and try to work with it as a whole. I think that's too heavy for most people.

I've always been kind of an experimentalist when it comes to music. I always wanted to know how composers wrote their music because I was always so baffled at how they put together something so complex, yet made it sound like it made sense.

But I think the possibility of getting somewhere is what drives most people. Buster almost certainly wants to get in a band, and I think that's a good aspiration that will keep him playing. When you're young it's easier to find people who you can relate with musically because your musical taste is simpler when you're young. I don't know what bands are popular nowadays but it's easy to find four people who want to play Nirvana tunes or whatever it is. As you get older your musical taste develops and gets more complex. If you become real picky like I did, or even a little picky, then it becomes pretty much impossible to find people who want to do what you want to do, and that's what you have to do to keep a band together. Unless, of course, you're the shit and you're running the show like Zappa. I think bands have to be formed real young so everyone can grow together, like Floyd or the Stones or whatever. It's difficult to keep a band together. Usually the band breaks up and the people try to find a new band and it's not quite what they want and they eventually give up because it's so much work with so little reward. Personally, I know of one band composed of people my age but that's slowly disintegrating. The only other musicians I know play for church sermons or sessions or whatever it's called. Oh yeah, service. They play for church services.
I think the reason music can be addictive is because it can provide that deep meditative state but artificially contrived; a purely pleasurable meditative state rather than one that is productive of something that is other than mere pleasure -- pure introspective thought.
I think it's more of a hypnotic experience than a meditative or a thinking experience. Listening to a constant rhythm is really pretty mind-numbing. It's like a drug, it's just too comfortable to really have any new thoughts while it's playing. You tend to think comfortable thoughts in comfort, which don't go anywhere you haven't already been.

I used to have a workstation keyboard where you could sequence 8 tracks of synthesizer parts with a drum track, so you could write music just by playing it, like Zappa and his Synclavier. When you're trying to write a piece of music and you want to add a new part to it, you'll never be able to think of the new part while you're listening to the old parts. It's really easy to come up with the first part and maybe the part after that, but if you start listening to what you already have over and over and enjoying it, it will become impossible to think of a new part that fits because you get so attached to what you already have that you get stuck in it. I've known a couple of other people who had the same problem. If music were really conducive to thinking, I don't think that would happen. You really have to figure out what you're going to express in the piece, and when, before you start putting it down. That's the big advantage in being able to write it down on paper compared to using a tape recorder or sequencer or whatever. You don't have to learn the song as you write it, you can just write it first.
I have been an artist. I think putting on layers of paint is a meditative process, too, but it is a meditation of pure pleasure. Even if you make some philosophical progress in the exercise of putting on paint, the paint provides the tactile pleasure.

Words can also bring pleasure.

There is nothing wrong with pleasure but I kind of think that in order to become a philosopher, you have to get past those pleasurable creative addictions.

I am not expressing it well but I reckon what I am trying to say is that you have to get past the pleasure of the medium.

Any thoughtful input into what I have tried to express is welcome -- because I do not think that I have nailed it.
I think you pretty much nailed it, but I think even an artist, a good artist, has to get past it as well. There is a certain amount of pleasure to be had in the medium, but I think the truly creative person is interested in what the possibilities of it are and how much he can figure out about it. What tricks he can pull off in combination in order to embellish some fundamental idea.

I think great artists experiment with their style and stuff, like Van Gogh's pointillism or Louis Wain's wallflower cats. Those are gross examples but most stylistic experiments are things no one would ever know about without deeply studying the person's art. Dali was inspired by atoms so he went off making different depictions of atoms for awhile. Who woulda thunk it, you know?

Great artists develop their style and bad artists can't for some reason. I'm not sure if it's because they have no faith in themselves or what. They can't see possibilities or don't look for them or something. They don't feel the need to explore themselves, I guess, so the things they create are just a reflection of the part of themselves that they are already familiar with. They can repeat but they can't invent. They don't challenge themselves in a creative way. Maybe they're afraid or something.

My cousin-in-law is an excellent fine artist, but from what I understand, he doesn't produce any original stuff because he "doesn't know what to paint". Tsk! If you don't know what to paint, then paint the thing that you shouldn't paint, I say. Paint something! You'll figure out what to paint after a few tries. It's like military reconnaissance. You need to know where the enemy is in order to make plans for an attack. If you don't know your enemy, you'll be paralyzed. If you paint a few pieces and study them then you'll know what you're capable of and you're not capable of, so you can start making some stylistic explorations. You have to know what your style is before you can explore it.

Philosophy is the same way, though. It's art. It's a creative process, it's just that the product is directed entirely inward. Well, maybe philosophical writing should be considered philosophy too. I tend to think of it as a different type of art. But I think the great philosopher plays around with his style of thinking, trying to break new ground. That's what I try to do anyway. I'm not a great artist, though. I'm too lazy for that. I think you have to have real passion, too, to be a great artist. I've never been real passionate about anything for very long, only in short spurts. I'm passionate about new things but I get sick of them too easily. It's not failure, either. I'm not afraid of failure, I just find it hard to continue when the value of the goal can't justify the amount of work it would take to achieve it. That's why I gave up music, really. There's nothing in it for me. I'd be bored shitless being a musician and playing the same damn songs every night. That's not creative enough for me. I could probably tolerate being in a jazz band, because you have more freedom playing it, but the whole attitude behind it seems kind of bland and academic to me. Maybe if everyone wore diapers and the singer had a pair of nunchuks I would like it better, I don't know.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Thanks for a thoughtful and well written post, Matt. Plenty to mull over. I will think on it and see if there is anything I want to add or to question.

Thanks for the web site, Dave. I will send it to Buster. He will find it amusing.

Faizi
Matt Gregory

Post by Matt Gregory »

Actually, I think my conception of a great artist is all wrong now. Surely the subject matter is more important than how you express it. I've always been very insensitive to the subject matter of art/music/reading/whatever, though. It's kind of troubling to me.
DHodges

Music chit-chat

Post by DHodges »

Matt Gregory wrote:That's why I gave up music, really. There's nothing in it for me. I'd be bored shitless being a musician and playing the same damn songs every night. That's not creative enough for me. I could probably tolerate being in a jazz band, because you have more freedom playing it, but the whole attitude behind it seems kind of bland and academic to me.
I agree, playing the same thing over and over again gets boring - the exception for me being if the songs are so technically challenging that I can just barely play them, if I keep practicing several hours a day.

There are improvizational bands that are not jazz, or at least not mainstream jazz, and are not bland or academic.

The problem there is hooking up with people that are creative and talented enough to do it, but aren't professionals.

Are you into any of this kind of stuff?
The Flying Luttenbachers
Liquid Tension Experiment
John Zorn
Elliott Sharp
Einsterzende Neubauten
The Swinging Love Corpses
Butthole Surfers
Maybe if everyone wore diapers and the singer had a pair of nunchuks I would like it better, I don't know.
I bet we could have a pretty good jam.
Matt Gregory

Re: Music chit-chat

Post by Matt Gregory »

Yeah, I can get into the technically challenging stuff. I used to play classical piano and that's what I liked about it. I always liked the fast tunes. The only problem with it was that I never liked to practice, so I was never very good. I had a couple of good performances but that's about it.

I have LTE 2. It's pretty good.

I had a college friend who was into Butthole Surfers and John Zorn (Negativeland, The Residents, etc.) I could never get into the noise thing, though. I'm too conventional for that, I guess. I'm a Black Sabbath/Pink Floyd type of person, really.

I've never heard of the other ones.

What I wanted to do is almost exactly what they did on that show "Curb Your Enthusiasm". The acting was all improvised, but they had a complex plot underneath it all that made it all totally coherent. I could never find a good way to do that, though, because I could never find anyone willing to try it out with me.

I think the best idea I came with is to have the drummer come up with the arrangement first, because he is in the best position to do that. Then the bassist ought to be able to lay down the basic direction of the harmony, chord progressions, etc. It doesn't really have to be the bassist--the point is that it would just be one note you would have to follow through the song that would tie everything together. The real trick there is that it would have to be simple enough to be easily followed, but sophisticated enough so that the music would actually go somewhere. The complexity of it would occur over the arrangement rather than being condensed into each individual part so that everyone would have the freedom to maneuver around within it.

Once you got that down, then everyone would follow that basic outline in such a way that everyone would be improvising the whole time, but the parts would be kept very distinct and the transitions would be tight, even though the song would be played differently every time. The improvisations wouldn't be completely free, but would have to be disciplined in that the people would have to make up parts on the fly and repeat them so it sounds like a composed song is being played, otherwise it would be too loose and chaotic to be entertaining, I think. There could be some leeway, but there has to be enough discipline so at least some of the features of the music would have a chance to stand out. So the better everyone's short-term memory is, the better the music would be.

Ideally, you would have a singer who could improvise all the lyrics. The lyrics could have a story holding it together, and the singer would just have to make it to certain plot developments during the song. Maybe the lyrics or gestures could be used as the signals for the changes so the parts wouldn't have to have fixed lengths, that way the singer would have a greater sense of having the power of the whole band behind him as he sang. My opinion is that in rock, the band should back up the singer. He's in front and everyone is basically looking to him for entertainment, since he's the one who would be skating in his own shit and masturbating with a Cabbage-Patch doll in front.

So it would be like psychedelic/prog-rock fusion with plenty of headroom for comedy and creative synergy and the ability to respond musically to the crowd. That's what I wanted to do in a band, but I could never get anyone to buy into this or even willing to discuss it. I'm not even really sure I would like the end product once it was all implemented, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

But can ya'll play Foggy Mountain Breakdown?

Cumberland Gap?

Like Don Reno and Red Smiley?

Flatt and Scruggs?

Faizi
DHodges

Bluegrass

Post by DHodges »

MKFaizi wrote:But can ya'll play Foggy Mountain Breakdown?
Nope!
DHodges

Re: Music chit-chat

Post by DHodges »

Matt Gregory wrote:Yeah, I can get into the technically challenging stuff. I used to play classical piano and that's what I liked about it. I always liked the fast tunes. The only problem with it was that I never liked to practice, so I was never very good.

For me, the technical challenge was enough to keep me practicing - especially when I was playing with guys who were better players than me, and I was barely keeping up with them.
I have LTE 2. It's pretty good.
The first one was much better, I thought.
I had a college friend who was into Butthole Surfers and John Zorn (Negativeland, The Residents, etc.) I could never get into the noise thing, though. I'm too conventional for that, I guess. I'm a Black Sabbath/Pink Floyd type of person, really.
Noise is relative. There is a lot of music that sounds pretty chaotic at first, and it takes repeated listenings to see the structure in it. Complexity is close to chaos.

Rock music is about a groove, and so rock needs to stay relatively simple. Still, you can jam out on a song, taking, say, the structure and main riff from a Black Sabbath tune, and do variations and work from that to make it into something else.

This is kinda where I'm going with the guys I'm playing with currently. We haven't been playing together that long, and we come from very different musical backgrounds, so it's been pretty slow going - still kind of feeling out our common ground. I guess I'm seen as the heavy metal guy, with the drummer being the big band guy, and the other guitarist being a 50's rock guy. But we are taking old tunes (60s - 70s rock) as kind of a starting point, and just kind of seeing where we end up from there.
So it would be like psychedelic/prog-rock fusion with plenty of headroom for comedy and creative synergy and the ability to respond musically to the crowd. That's what I wanted to do in a band, but I could never get anyone to buy into this or even willing to discuss it. I'm not even really sure I would like the end product once it was all implemented, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.
Well, there are really two distinct ways you can approach music. You can approach it as a product you are producing, and so what matters is how it sounds in the end. That's where most music goes.

But you can also approach music as a process - as a game or conversation - and be more focused on the interaction, and less on the final sonic result. This is where, for example, John Zorn was going with Cobra. On record, it doesn't sound like much (to me), but it was probably pretty memorable for the musicians.

But if you look at, for instance, Liquid Tension Experiment, it's possible to improvise some pretty amazing music. The main limit seems to be the ability (and willingness?) of the musicians.
Kevin Solway

Dylan

Post by Kevin Solway »

I just watched the documentary "No direction home" - all three and a half hours of it - and I now have some more ideas about Dylan.

He describes himself as an "expeditioner", and I think that's about right. When he sees himself in old films, he sees it only as something he was playing out at the time.

His biggest issue was the fact that the public wanted him to have thought deeply, and to have formed clear opinions, regarding things he had not thought deeply about.

I understand this as the reason why he didn't want to be known as a "folk singer" - not that he didn't sing folk music, and not that *all* of his music couldn't be classified as some form of folk music - but because he himself hadn't thought deeply about it and decided clearly that he wanted to be a "folk singer". In his mind, he was only an expeditioner. An explorer. I think that is right. What kind of a person wants to have their life, and their boundaries, dictated to them by a mindless mob?

I still think, after watching this more extensive documentary, that Dylan displays some qualities of genius. And I am sure that is what people see in him generally, and is precisely why they expected him to be a lot more deep thinking than he was, a lot more decided, a lot more consistent, and a lot more conscious in his thoughts. Since people cannot do it themselves, they want someone else to do it for them.

I think Dylan had enough genius to know that he wasn't a genius proper, and wasn't going to go expeditioning too far down that path.

That is still great, in my view. Quite deep, and quite clear.

I think both documentaries, "Don't look back" and "No direction home" are the kind of films that can change a person for the better. And that too is great.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Haven't seen either one yet but I intend to see them.

I get the same feeling when I see Tupac Ressurection.

Faizi
Jason

Post by Jason »

Who gives a flying philosophical fuck about Bob fucking Dylan. Starting a topic on Bob Dylan in the genius forum by the site admin no less. The level of this forum is so low at the moment it makes me feel dirty just posting here.
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

I think a discussion of Dylan may have philosophical merit. This is not a discussion about an enlightened person but a discussion of a person who had some insight, even if he eventually chose to not venture fully into philosophical investigation or could not but still offered something -- maybe, a start for a kid sitting in his room listening to his music and words.

Oscar Wilde was not a philosopher either. Yet, his work is worthy of inspection, as is the work of Franz Kafka and, even, Jane Austen.

Faizi
joel knoll

Post by joel knoll »

dylan's significance, besides his status as an entertainer on the order of elvis, lies in that he is the point of convergence of so many traditions that are so rich. he took them all into himself and, like a prism, has now scattered them brilliantly across the american cultural landscape. dylan is more powerful as a cultural phenomenon than as a lyricist. lyrically, most of dylan's songs are clever put-ons; he takes full advantage of the inherent ambiguity of language, in conjunction with the potency of pretty melodies, to dupe listeners, and perhaps himself, that he is doing something more than putting them on. his academic critics do the same thing, sans the pretty melodies. such is dylan that nothing can be said about him without qualification. many of his songs are masterful poems: tombstone blues, every grain of sand, visions of johanna. it can safely be said that dylan is to our age what Homer is to the Ancient Aegean and Shakespeare to the Elizabethan: a body of work, meant to be performed, which sums up the beauties and terrors of that epoch by which it was spawned, and which it entertained and challenged. dylan wrote a lot of crap; paul simon, for one, was a more consistent craftsman. it seems that genius is the intangible difference between the two men. paul simon is a great songwriter; dylan seems to have at his fingertips an infinity of angles, images, and personas. the (in retrospect) rapid-fire and seemingly random way in which he presented them to the world in succession, leads people to think that is nothing in essentia, but simply a series of masks. did he ever really believe all that hattie carroll stuff? what's up with the three month evangelical campaign, after which he suddenly reacquaints himself with his jewish heritage? country bumpkin in sixty eight, when the rest of america was still trying to make sense of Blonde on Blonde (as if...)? and his voice! i swore for three years that nashville skyline was not a bob dylan album. how many is bob dylan? does it matter? it's worth operating, at least a little, on the assumption that it does matter. dylan is not just a great songwriter or entertainer, precisely because mere great songwriters and entertainers never suggest the question whether they are something more or less than just that.