The amazing self-undermining argument

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Unless you believe that things come into existence only when perceived, and hence irrelevant.
Yes, I think that's a good description of homosapien existence, don't you? And, following such primary acts of perception, are greater zones of influence, prediction, causation, effect. No?

What relevance does time have to the infinite?

And: what is death?
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla Shen wrote:
Unless you believe that things come into existence only when perceived, and hence irrelevant.
Yes, I think that's a good description of homosapien existence, don't you? And, following such primary acts of perception, are greater zones of influence, prediction, causation, effect. No?

What relevance does time have to the infinite?

And: what is death?
No, I don't think that is a good description of our existence, but it is rather a good description of intellectual realization of existence through perceptual experiences of a particular mind, it has nothing to do with the existence of a particular brain.

Time has no relevance to the infinite, but any particular mind, or any thing for that matter, is not infinite. No-particular-thing exists when time is up, except the Totality. Hence time does not apply to Totality, but every-thing that exists. Nothing would be possible without motion.

What is Death? It is the non-continuity of any particular form.
Leyla Shen

Mindbrain, brainmind...

Post by Leyla Shen »

No, I don't think that is a good description of our existence, but it is rather a good description of intellectual realization of existence through perceptual experiences of a particular mind, it has nothing to do with the existence of a particular brain.
OK. So, for the purpose of as absolute clarity as is possible, what you're saying is that our existence has more to do with the brain and, at best, little to do with the mind. Is that right? You are more your brain than your mind?

If so, from that I can probably conclude that you think you cannot exist without a brain. Seems pretty straightforward to me, except for one thing: where exactly are your mind, and you?
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla wrote:
OK. So, for the purpose of as absolute clarity as is possible, what you're saying is that our existence has more to do with the brain and, at best, little to do with the mind. Is that right? You are more your brain than your mind?
I think I have heard you saying that somewhere else before. I may be mistaken. But I have said nothing like what the above implies.

I humbly ask. What part does the functionality (mind) of a brain help create the literal existence of any physical thing at all? Are you saying that since you can perceive and think, which is nothing more than a mental process, "it" somehow creates a physical thing? That is, if you somehow loose the capability of thinking, then your brain does not exist? Try opening a head of a person in a coma, you will notice that for all intent and purposes, nothing may exist for that person, and yet his brain surely exists.
I can probably conclude that you think you cannot exist without a brain.
If you kill me, my body and my brain will still exist, only "my" conscious thoughts won't.
Seems pretty straightforward to me, except for one thing: where exactly are your mind, and you?
What do you mean by 'your mind and you'? Do you mean my physical body and my mental processes? They are exactly where they are supposed to be. I'm afraid I might have not got you correctly here.

Just to make sure, human consciousness has no involvement in creating any physical things.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

LOL. I do enjoy our conversations, Sapius. But, sometimes, I feel like I'm just talking to myself.

More later.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Sapius: But I have said nothing like what the above implies. [You are more your brain than your mind?]
How about these two statements:
Sapius: No, I don't think that [that things come into existence only when perceived, and hence (time is) irrelevant] is a good description of our existence,…

Sapius: Try opening a head of a person in a coma, you will notice that for all intent and purposes, nothing may exist for that person, and yet his brain surely exists.
So, existence is determined by the perceptions, thoughts and conclusions of others? Interesting. That is, this lump of grey matter performing basic functions that keep a body alive is “his”? Whose? Who is he?
Sapius: If you kill me, my body and my brain will still exist, only "my" conscious thoughts won't.

I have to know, Sapius, who are “you” exactly? How do I kill you yet allow your body and brain to exist? How do I kill conscious thought?

If all things lack inherent existence, what is the relevance of “literal” existence (actuality) to perceived existence (illusion)?
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla,
So, existence is determined by the perceptions, thoughts and conclusions of others? Interesting.
No. Are you determining existence for and to that dead person? Perceptions and the Nature given capability of logical and deductive reasoning confirm that our experience of existence is not nothing whatsoever; they do not create what is perceived. We could not be the source of what we perceive. Fundamentally speaking, existence could never have been non-existence at any time, since Totality is existence, only that we, subjectively, are capable of logically experiencing and "determining" it for ourselves. It is subjective, personally, and objective collectively.

And another thing, (an after though after finishing the post), if it takes perception to determine existence, then I can logically say, that animals perceive too, although they may not comprehend it logically and define it as existence, but grass does exist for a sheep. Hence, it does not matter if I logically determine or not, existence would need no determination. Existence is far too fundamental even to determine what all is needed to determine it.
That is, this lump of grey matter performing basic functions that keep a body alive is “his”? Whose? Who is he?
Sapius, a person we identify as such, the whole bundle put together. Saying "I" or "my" or "his", is only a figure of speech purported by a logical process generated by a brain since it has the capability of defining things, including parts and functions of his (the whole persons) being.
I have to know, Sapius, who are “you” exactly?
I am who I am, who else? I'm surely not you, or a tree, so I must be me. God must have been logical too; it was stupid of Moses to ask.
How do I kill you yet allow your body and brain to exist?
Gulp! Well, I never thought you did go that far, but I guess it’s ok, if it is not that painful a death that is, but make sure you don't pass out, and you shall experience that my (Sapius's) body and brain have managed to exist, at least until they rot away.
How do I kill conscious thought?
Why in the world would you want to do that? Why would you want to deny yourself of this wonderful gift? Any ways, I dunno, you could always try dropping a piano on your head, or a ton of bricks. I'm not quite sure how strong your skull is. hehehe.....
If all things lack inherent existence, what is the relevance of “literal” existence (actuality) to perceived existence (illusion)?
By “literal” existence I mean A=A, things as they are, and perceived existence is that which recognizes that A=A, meaningfully in our case. And did anyone ever tell you that non-inherent existence means no-existence whatsoever? ‘Things do not inherently exist’ simply means that they do not posses any permanency due to their dynamic nature, but since temporary forms do exist, including ourselves, these forms are not simply hot air. How else would we have a continued communication, day after day, if our temporary form could not hold together beyond a certain time period? Same goes for the said "illusions". Things are said to be illusory in the sense that they do not have permanency. Like the famous eddy example, which for all practical purposes, does 'literally', however temporarily, exist and is not anything else at that given moment. According to me, awareness is, being absolutely and fully aware of the underlying illusory nature of things at all times, and at the same time, at all times, being absolutely aware that logical perception although illusory in nature, is no deception. After all, it is that very perception that leads you to self-awareness, and a logical awareness of existence.
Leyla Shen

SOLIDS

Post by Leyla Shen »

Boy, you're hard work. You remind me of a rock. Be gone! rock.

Damn. You're still there, aren't you?

Be sure, Sapius, that I don't think consciousness creates anything: that would be a misdefinition.
Fundamentally speaking, existence could never have been non-existence at any time, since Totality is existence, only that we, subjectively, are capable of logically experiencing and "determining" it for ourselves. It is subjective, personally, and objective collectively.
What the hell does that mean????

To me, the Totality encompasses existence and non-existence. It is not limited my duality at all -- how could it be? Time is an arbitrary manifestation of change in space, between boundaries.
Like the famous eddy example, which for all practical purposes, does 'literally', however temporarily, exist and is not anything else at that given moment.
What given moment? The moment it was perceived -- primary act of perception -- or the moment of the actual, A=A-things-as-they-are information of an event?

Sometimes I wish my kids existed inherently...

More later.
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla,
To me, the Totality encompasses existence and non-existence.
What is non-existence?
What given moment? The moment it was perceived -- primary act of perception -- or the moment of the actual, A=A-things-as-they-are information of an event?
The moment we thing it is actual and specially here and now but the event may have actually taken place ages ago. I know what you are getting at, but my argument was not necessarily against 'primary act', but that of its actually being in the here and now. Just as a primary act of perception shows us a long dead star as here and now, but logic says otherwise.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

What is non-existence?
What is non-existence?

Non-existence is to existence as non-comprehension is to comprehension; as non-sexual is to sexual; as non-fussed is to fussed; as non-toxic is to toxic…

I don’t see any reason in complicating the matter.
The moment we thing it is actual and specially here and now but the event may have actually taken place ages ago. I know what you are getting at, but my argument was not necessarily against 'primary act', but that of its actually being in the here and now. Just as a primary act of perception shows us a long dead star as here and now, but logic says otherwise.
No, no, NO. It’s flippen-well irrelevant, I tell you! If you could see the exact when, what and where – it wouldn’t friggen be there! That’s what time is – that’s what illusion is. You worship not the mystery of an anthropomorphised human God, but the mystery of a dual, logical one. You speak the religion of solids.

I am so into you, I can’t think of nothin’ else…la-la-la…come on, baby….I’m so into you, yeah…

Thanks for the head-fuck, though. :)
Sapius

Post by Sapius »

Leyla,
I don’t see any reason in complicating the matter.

Well, I agree to that.
No, no, NO. It’s flippen-well irrelevant,

If it is irrelevant, then you are right, no sense in complicating it any further.
Thanks for the head-fuck, though. :)
You are most welcome, I enjoyed it too :)