Constantin Brunner

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Blair

Post by Blair »

Hey Beingof1, you are talking out of your Ass. Why don't you take the time to read and consider what is being said to you? These people know much more than you do, stop being such an ass clown.
Kevin Solway

Jesus

Post by Kevin Solway »

Beingof1 wrote:
Kevin said "Still, many of the Buddha's teachings are in the form of parables and other fanciful stories, just like the teachings of Jesus."
Yes, and I also said they need to be supported by other kinds of teachings, so they are not wrongly interpreted.
"Love thy neighbor as thyself"
Other people really are yourself, literally. But this is not at all what Christians understand by this teaching, which is why they misunderstand it.
Kevin: Even for people who are still living, it's impossible to know everything about them.
So only one or two Christians that have ever lived respect truth?
Even though it is impossible for you to know everything about a person like say - their heart, mind, and intentions.
Obviously I was only giving a rough estimate.
How many Buddhists have been "quality humans"?
Quite a few by comparison. Some of these have been mentioned elsewhere.

[Hakuin, Shantideva, Nagarjuna, Huang Po, Bodhidharma, etc]
The legend of Jesus is a nice story, but Buddha and his story are true.

I never intimated such a thing. You are making it up.
An example is not necessary. A person simply seeks the truth and then finds it. That is all. Even the "example" must necessarily follow that exact same path, otherwise they would never be an example.
How does one raise children?
These days, because of the fragmentation of families, and there being much smaller families than there used to be, people are having to learn more or less from scratch.

With regard to spiritual matters, it is something a person has to learn for themselves. It cannot be learned simply by example.
I can understand someone dying for what they believe to be true, but to throw your life away for a lie is just beneath the pale.
Every day people are dying all over the globe for what they believe to be true, even though what they believe is not true.

A wise person can eradicate some karma, but by no means all of it.
Why do you put so many limits on yourself, what you can and cannot do, and what the universe is capable of?
Truth is important.
Especially noteworthy is the belief that in achieving Enlightenment, the Buddha acquired supernatural powers. These powers were:

1. Psychokinesis, the power to move objects with the mind;
2. Clairaudience, the power to hear sounds at extraordinary distances;
3. Telepathy, the power to read the minds of others;
4. Retrocognition, the power to know one's own previous existences;
5. Clairvoyance, the power to see and know things at a distance; and,
6. Knowledge of the destruction of the defiling impulses, such as would lead to Enlightenment and Nirvân.a.

http://www.friesian.com/buddhism.htm
Meaningless.
Beingof1

Post by Beingof1 »

prince

Then be helpful and point out my emotional attachment or logical contradiction.
If you cannot find any - then listen and learn.

Kevin
Yes, and I also said they need to be supported by other kinds of teachings, so they are not wrongly interpreted.
Do you mean by you?
Other people really are yourself, literally. But this is not at all what Christians understand by this teaching, which is why they misunderstand it.
You understand it - I understand it - what is the problem?
Obviously I was only giving a rough estimate.

1 or 2 is not a "rough estimate". It is a gigantic statement.
Quite a few by comparison. Some of these have been mentioned elsewhere.
Your double standard is blatant.
Open your mind Kevin, open your heart.
Me: The legend of Jesus is a nice story, but Buddha and his story are true.

Kevin: I never intimated such a thing. You are making it up.
You might want to reread this thread.

I thought you would catch the irony, obviously you did not.

Kevin
Ok, Brunner says:

"The legend of Buddha is beautiful and profound, but Christ and his story are true."

:-) Very funny.
With regard to spiritual matters, it is something a person has to learn for themselves. It cannot be learned simply by example.

Kevin: "[Hakuin, Shantideva, Nagarjuna, Huang Po, Bodhidharma, etc]"
Truth is important.
Truth expands.
Meaningless.
Only if you are still stuck in your physical body.
Barrett Pashak

Re: Jesus

Post by Barrett Pashak »

ksolway wrote:
These days, because of the fragmentation of families, and there being much smaller families than there used to be, people are having to learn more or less from scratch.

This is why I like Brunner, and why I think he is important. He assumes that his readers are in a state of consciously seeking values. To these he offers a comprehensive, systematic set of values on which to establish their lives. This is also why he is generally so poorly received: anyone who is holding on to values will be instantly and totally repelled by Brunner. To appreciate Brunner requires a state of absolute uncertainty together with an unflinching desire for certainty.