Zero logic

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
hyperqube

Zero logic

Post by hyperqube »

infinity=0

anyone care to discuss this?
Kevin Solway

Re: Zero logic

Post by Kevin Solway »

hyperqube wrote:infinity=0

Since infinity is not nothing, your statement cannot be true.

Is there some point your would like to make?
hyperqube

ahh but infinity does equal zero

Post by hyperqube »

evaluate the following statement:

We could use the term positive infinity to refer to all the positive numbers combined together, but such a term would not actually represent a completed sum or combined whole. Since there is always a next greater number in this group there cannot be a single definite value. This positive infinity is more a representation of a never ending process; a series of numbers, and not a number itself. Of course the same is true of the infinity of negative numbers. Like the positive side, there isn't a unified sum of all the negative numbers.

do you still stick by your previous position?[/quote]
Leyla Shen

0 REVISITED

Post by Leyla Shen »

Hey, Diebert -- ring any bells?

I still fail to see any good reason that zero cannot be used to represent infinity.
Kevin Solway

Re: ahh but infinity does equal zero

Post by Kevin Solway »

hyperqube wrote:evaluate the following statement:

We could use the term positive infinity to refer to all the positive numbers combined together, but such a term would not actually represent a completed sum or combined whole.
It represents the whole. It is not necessary to "combine" or "complete" it.

As it is the whole, it is not nothing.

Since there is always a next greater number
There can be nothing greater than infinity, so it is wrong to think of it like that.
unknown

Post by unknown »

DOn't waste your time in babbling people.

The communication you all use to talk about infinity is words.

Words are limited. So You can talk as long as your words can take you.

Words are defined. LIMITED ENTITY.

No use. Unless you like to babble.

Then what you may ask?.

Well , stop trying to find answer. But ask question.

For what ? you may ask?,well it will show your beliefs.

peace
unknown
sevens

'Zero logic'

Post by sevens »

'Zero logic' ?

(Judging book, by its cover)

Be careful when attaching 'abstractions' to 'abstractions'...

But, hey, '1' would be more appropriate.

:)
hyperqube

Post by hyperqube »

unknown wrote:DOn't waste your time in babbling people.

The communication you all use to talk about infinity is words.

Words are limited. So You can talk as long as your words can take you.

Words are defined. LIMITED ENTITY.

No use. Unless you like to babble.

Then what you may ask?.

Well , stop trying to find answer. But ask question.

For what ? you may ask?,well it will show your beliefs.

peace
unknown
yes, i think that you may be a reptar. knowledge is illusory. nothing can ever be truly known, but we can begin to understand. in fact the one absolute truth is love and what is love to paraphrase the matrix but a connection. A connection to the one who created you.
Leyla Shen

Oh! ...

Post by Leyla Shen »

Oh! let me do it!
nothing can ever be truly known, but we can begin to understand.
Then we can safely ignore what you just said. (Woohoo.)

And, what would be the point of beginning to understand if nothing can ever be truly known?

I do not believe you.
DHodges

Truth vs. love

Post by DHodges »

hyperqube wrote:in fact the one absolute truth is love and what is love to paraphrase the matrix but a connection.
Equating truth with an emotion seems like a really bad idea, from the standpoint of truth.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Zero logic

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

hyperqube wrote:infinity=0

It doesn't look like a logical statement at all.

Infinity encompasses all that exists.
Zero points to that what not exists or is lacking in a certain context (a relative non-existence).

To equal them is saying that existance is equal to non-existance, or that A is not A.

Mathematicaly it wouldn't make sense either. When you divide a number by a term approaching infinity, you are approaching zero. If zero equals infinity then every number would equal infinity by default. Does not compute! Division by zero! Syntax Error.

Try again.
Leyla Shen

FOLKLORE

Post by Leyla Shen »

Mathematicaly it wouldn't make sense either. When you divide a number by a term approaching infinity, you are approaching zero. If zero equals infinity then every number would equal infinity by default. Does not compute! Division by zero! Syntax Error.
It represents the whole. It is not necessary to "combine" or "complete" it.
Alright, fine. Two good reasons against infinity as zero. Hence, I concede -- under protest -- for the sake of tradition.
hyperqube

Re: Truth vs. love

Post by hyperqube »

DHodges wrote:
hyperqube wrote:in fact the one absolute truth is love and what is love to paraphrase the matrix but a connection.
Equating truth with an emotion seems like a really bad idea, from the standpoint of truth.

aaahh but without love what is it all good for?
DHodges

Post by DHodges »

hyperqube wrote:aaahh but without love what is it all good for?
So you don't really give a fuck about truth.
sasakura

Post by sasakura »

well, i can see one way which infinity = 0, in that it shows infinity cannot possible exist, because as you say, its the whole of everything, yet everything is still limited to something far less than infinity

and if you relate infinity to time, you find that either infinity does not exist as anything, or that time does not exist except as a perception in the human mind.
if the second option there, is found true, then eternity also doesn't exist, shattering any idea of an after-life

but my math might be wrong

i personally think infinity = 8, since if u rotate an 8 90 degrees, you get infinity. or infinity = infinity + 1, which i can't explain to well but it makes sense
-[Siren Asakura]-
Dave Toast

Post by Dave Toast »

Without truth, what is what?
Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

sasakura wrote:well, i can see one way which infinity = 0, in that it shows infinity cannot possible exist, because as you say, its the whole of everything
If the whole didn't exist, you wouldn't be able to write this.

yet everything is still limited to something far less than infinity
The whole, (ie, everything) cannot be limited, by definition.

If it were limited, then it would have to be limited by something, and that something would have to be part of "everything".
hyperqube

truth? according to whom?

Post by hyperqube »

Dave Toast wrote:
Without truth, what is what?
what is the truth? that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, that pi = 22/7. maybe in this cube, but what about the hyperqube.
hyperqube

existence, slightly imbalanced

Post by hyperqube »

maybe this is a good place to introduce the concept that the entirety of existence is due to a slight imbalance in quantum mechanics

Existence slightly imbalanced
hyperqube

damn, guess that killed it?!

Post by hyperqube »

well , here is good place to introduce a very new concept. have you ever heard that god is a blackhole. in fact he could be described as a zero! since in fact infinity does equal zero.

so on 8/30 expect to be astounded. that will mark 92 days missing for natalee and 6888th since her birth. I was able to pin down the final correlation on the day i turned 11711 days old.

Natalee's 8/30 miracle
Bubblefish

Post by Bubblefish »

double post
Last edited by Bubblefish on Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bubblefish

Post by Bubblefish »

In math, when you hear people say things like "1 over infinity is zero" what they are usually referring to is something called a limit.

They are just using a kind of shorthand, however. They do NOT mean that 1 can actually be divided by infinity. Instead, they mean that, if you divide 1 by successively higher numbers, the result becomes closer and closer to 0. If I divide 1 by a very large number, like a billion, then I get one-billionth, which is a VERY small number, but it isn't 0. Since there is no largest number, I can always divide 1 by
a bigger number. But that will just produce an even smaller number, right? It will NEVER produce 0, no matter how high I go. But since the answer to the division is getting closer to and closer to 0, we say that "the limit of the expression is zero." But we have still not divided anything by infinity, since that isn't a number.
So in the ordering sense it makes no sense to refrence 0 as infinite. But philosophically, I can see an arguement about 0 as being likend to the infinite since 0 has no finite value, just as infinite has no finite value, yet contains all numbers of a finite value an infinite number of times. Since 0 is the only additive number, one could say that it could be likend to the infinite because an infinite number line is drawn from it., whilst infinity the finite numbers are drawn inside it. Indeed, even 'inside' is a finite concept to observe or conceptualize a finite piece in an infinite set.

So I gues we could say that infinity is something akin to the inverse of 0. Infinity and 0 is a set of binary opposition, and quite an interesting one.

eh, I just missed you guys, that's all

Bubblefish
Bubblefish

Post by Bubblefish »

DHodges wrote:
if love is refrenced as pure exalted experience, then that is foundation of all that can be considered true. it is the foundation for the whole show. Without that truth, there is no truth.
LooF

Post by LooF »

all = 1

0 = not all

just like one is not other

infinity is not zero
MKFaizi

Post by MKFaizi »

Do we have to go through all this crap again?

A=A.

Get over it.

Faizi