Practical subject. Motivation

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
TryingToWakeUp

Practical subject. Motivation

Post by TryingToWakeUp »

What is the general principal of increasing one's Motivation? What has worked in your experience? What have you done that worked to get out of lazy state of mind to do what you know needs to be done?
TryingToWakeUp

Waking up in a locker room

Post by TryingToWakeUp »

A good workout helps. What else, peeps?
Trevor Salyzyn

hrmph

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Being interested in a variety of things helps, and often is a good supplement to serious philosophy. For instance, I'm right now reading a some popular science book on canine intelligence because the severe thought I was using for metaphysics blew out half of my brain. After working out a philosophic problem, reading something scientific will pull your thoughts lazily along. It's like watching TV.

Also, sometimes I'll phone someone up and go out for tea, and just sort of explain some trite philosophy to them, or show them what I've been working on. Non-philosophers have a sort of accidental brilliance around them that sometimes can save me from days of work (or better yet, inspire me for another few days). Or I'll go somewhere public and talk to a casual stranger -- works just as well.

On that note, the worst thing that can happen is running into some dude who thinks he's a philosopher. Half the time it's all spiritual mumbo-jumbo that he's pulled out of an astrology book or come up with after smoking pot or reading a bit of Marx. Grandoise theories about the way society should be run, what I (the listener) should be doing with my life, and other such nonsense. Such people become offended when corrected, and are altogether rather disagreeable company who are often more concerned with maintaining their ego than learning the truth. It ruins my day trying to come up with ways to assure myself that I am not just as ridiculous as they are (and in the process proving only that I am, indeed, remarkably similar). Hence, I avoid talking to people 'with an interest in philosophy' as much as I can.
sevens

Two Sense

Post by sevens »

Sly move, sleepy - and doubly so.

Nietszche tackles psychology cleanly in 'Zarathustra.' Buddha's eyes glow, along with his words - throughout history. Jung parallels both with his radical truths that defy logical IBM white collars.

If you enjoy Truth, develop your palette along side these three giants.

Once you find what inspires you, creativity is the remaining one percent of the equation.

---

Observe and perceive.

Dance.

Walk in Nature.

Dream.
TryingToWakeUp

Philosophy is worthless if it can't be applied

Post by TryingToWakeUp »

Mookestink, thanks for a sencere response. There has to be a more radical (direct) way though.

Sevens, can you share what great you have learnt from Jung or Nietzsche ?
sevens

Motivation

Post by sevens »

TTWU,

Nietzsche taught me about myself. His thoughts dusted off my eyes, and blasted sunlight into my soul. With a kinship intact, I was deeply encouraged to propel out into life. As with any form of Truth, you begin with blocks, and then build a unique sculpture - slowly motivated by what lies within you.

Specifically, Nietzsche taught me how to read - words, people, and circumstance.

Jung, too, opened my mind, in order to for me, to see, into my own - psy-key! (sneezing pixie dust.) He offered a microscope, in order for me to telescope - out into the future.

Discover what resonates - friction, spark and flame.
sevens

Post by sevens »

Eep!

Wrong thread.
TryingToWakeUp

Post by TryingToWakeUp »

Sevens, you are full of bullshit
sevens

Dude, Bro, Man

Post by sevens »

TTWU,

Excuse me? Has my taste for expression left you with a bad taste? Are there still lingering doubts of my sincerity - caused by our little squable a few threads over?

Let's tie some telephone cables.

(The 'Eep!' was sincere. 'Eep,' and only 'Eep,' was posted in the wrong thread.)
TryingToWakeUp

Post by TryingToWakeUp »

I mean, share what you have learnt instead of giving this mumbo jumbo...
sevens

Cool

Post by sevens »

Okay, I can hear you now.

What I learned from Nietzsche and Jung is too specific to try and summarize.

I highly recommend reading 'Zarathustra' in detail. If the poetic tone isn't your thing, then check out 'The Gay Science.' Both teach the reader how to break through years of delusion, between the inner and outer worlds.

Jung adds spice and awe with his penetrating insights in the human mind. If you have an interest in depth psychology, Jung is radical - and right on.

Hope this helps.