What is a genius?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
crow

What is a genius?

Post by crow »

I prefer not to assert any understanding of what constitutes a genius.
Often, people have labeled me one, but to me this term is meaningless.
I am what I am, and what I am changes, day by day.

I was led, as a child, into a make-believe realm of intelligence-above-all. This realm did me no favors. I was accused of having a gift not given to others, and why did I do so little with it? I was blamed for everything, because of my intelligence. I should, supposedly, have known better, because of it. I exited my youth with scant regard for this odorless, tasteless, colorless thing.

Far later, I discovered how to suspend it, and pull the plug on it. Everything changed!
My eyes could see clearly, and I became a child once more.
They saw a crow, by a pond, and observed what the crow was doing.
It was doing nothing. It was, instead, being.

People say crows are intelligent, but they are wrong. Crows have no use for this curse of humans.
They have something far more useful.
Humans don't know what it is.
Until, by chance, they become what they observe.
Pam Seeback

Re: What is a genius?

Post by Pam Seeback »

crow: People say crows are intelligent, but they are wrong. Crows have no use for this curse of humans.
They have something far more useful.
Humans don't know what it is.
Until, by chance, they become what they observe.
You observe a carrot. You become the carrot. The machine is halted. You have achieved your goal.
crow

Post by crow »

You are right. You become a carrot. This does not prevent you from becoming the entire universe, also.
ardy

Post by ardy »

crow wrote:You are right. You become a carrot. This does not prevent you from becoming the entire universe, also.
Very true crow. In this mind [for want of another word] universe, everything exists from the minutest to the massive, all being born, rising to strength and reproduction and then dying. It is a truly wonderful thing to observe that brings great peace to your existence within this life.
crow

Post by crow »

I have nothing against being a carrot. The first thing I became was the mountain, which had been the focus of my meditation, over months.
A beautiful, weird mountain. Google it: Tetakawi.
I discovered the mountain didn't suddenly stop at the ground. It was the earth, and so was I. The earth was the solar system, and so was I. And on and on, outwards into the vastness.
What was the drug that got me to this state?
Oxygen. Lack of food. Silence. A 440Hz humming.
A memorable day, that.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

crow wrote:I prefer not to assert any understanding of what constitutes a genius.
Often, people have labeled me one, but to me this term is meaningless.
I am what I am, and what I am changes, day by day.
Do you assert there is no humble interpretation of the word? What about Enlightenment? Both words can be and are used to inspire and motivate. It is the intention and meaning portrayed by the sayer which gives words their worth.
ardy

Post by ardy »

crow wrote:I have nothing against being a carrot. The first thing I became was the mountain, which had been the focus of my meditation, over months.
I discovered the mountain didn't suddenly stop at the ground. It was the earth, and so was I. The earth was the solar system, and so was I. And on and on, outwards into the vastness.
A memorable day, that.
I have had a similar experience whilst meditating and in samadhi, where I opened a black box [assuming it was another stupid image that the mind throws up] and inside was the universe and everything was in there and I just slipped into it and became it. All life everything was in there and I felt a connection to everything inside there. I did not exist as a separate thing but was an insignificant part of the greatness of it all.
crow

Post by crow »

Russell wrote: Do you assert there is no humble interpretation of the word? What about Enlightenment? Both words can be and are used to inspire and motivate. It is the intention and meaning portrayed by the sayer which gives words their worth.
I do not make assertions. I report as accurately as is humanly possible the state of Reality.
Is there a humble interpretation of 'genius'? No. Interpretations are rarely humble, and when describing 'genius', they are never humble.
Genius has to do with mind. Enlightenment has to do with no-mind.
Hardly the same.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

crow wrote:I have nothing against being a carrot. The first thing I became was the mountain, which had been the focus of my meditation, over months.
A memorable day, that.
You experienced mystical union with the All. I believe you'll find most everyone here has had like experiences in varying degrees. You're excited about what has happened to your consciousness and rightfully so. And yes, the machine of human thinking as you call it must be left behind so one's unbound, infinite identity can be experienced, but as evidenced by your most visible presence here, thinking cannot be left behind. Here's how I see it and how I experience it, let me know if it rings true to you: I am one with the All, including the four seasons, the trees and the garden hose. In the season of Fall when the leaves fall off the trees into the eavestroughs, I use reasoning to hose them out. My point is that the All includes everything, including thinking: mystical consciousness and reasoning the appearance of distinctions are not mutually exclusive. Having said this, I relate to your current belief that this is not so.
crow

Post by crow »

ardy wrote: I have had a similar experience whilst meditating and in samadhi, where I opened a black box [assuming it was another stupid image that the mind throws up] and inside was the universe and everything was in there and I just slipped into it and became it. All life everything was in there and I felt a connection to everything inside there. I did not exist as a separate thing but was an insignificant part of the greatness of it all.
I find we have a lot in common. It is strange you found yourself in a box, though. I found myself everywhere, everything, always.
But now you have tasted the possibilities, you know what the target looks like.
Deep, deeper, deepest: meditation goes further than any suspect.
The wormhole to God.
crow

Post by crow »

movingalways wrote: You experienced mystical union with the All. I believe you'll find most everyone here has had like experiences in varying degrees. You're excited about what has happened to your consciousness and rightfully so. And yes, the machine of human thinking as you call it must be left behind so one's unbound, infinite identity can be experienced, but as evidenced by your most visible presence here, thinking cannot be left behind. Here's how I see it and how I experience it, let me know if it rings true to you: I am one with the All, including the four seasons, the trees and the garden hose. In the season of Fall when the leaves fall off the trees into the eavestroughs, I use reasoning to hose them out. My point is that the All includes everything, including thinking: mystical consciousness and reasoning the appearance of distinctions are not mutually exclusive. Having said this, I relate to your current belief that this is not so.
I am not excited by any of this. It occurred some time around 1994. I've had time to adjust to being what I am: a 62 year old master.
It is true that most mystical experiences come in varying degrees and concentrations. It is also true that there is an ultimate oneness.
Consider this and see what is clear.
There are no degrees of oneness.

When your bus arrives, you get off.

As for thinking: thinkers are patently unable to imagine not thinking. It is impossible.
To one who has discovered how to operate - and do so far more efficiently - without thought, thinking is like wearing snowshoes.
Useful in deep snow, but hardly for everyday existence.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

I am not excited by any of this. It occurred some time around 1994. I've had time to adjust to being what I am: a 62 year old master.
It is true that most mystical experiences come in varying degrees and concentrations. It is also true that there is an ultimate oneness.
Consider this and see what is clear.
There are no degrees of oneness.

When your bus arrives, you get off
You're not excited and you've posted 32 posts since your arrival yesterday?

There is indeed an ultimate oneness. There are many who have realized this, however, there are few who realize that oneness can be spoken. Herein lies true genius. Not of the intelligent kind sporting high IQ's, but the kind who love the oneness of the universe so much that they desire it be their only language. To me, this is to be a master.

There are no degrees of oneness, this is true, however, there are degrees of holding oneness true in one's consciousness.
As for thinking: thinkers are patently unable to imagine not thinking. It is impossible.
If they haven't experienced mystical oneness how could they? However, the same truth can hold for those who have experienced mystical oneness and believe it is enlightenment in toto. They can't imagine that after the dissolution of form into oneness comes the thinking and speaking of form into existence (A = A, one-ing). But only if they're ready to step into the fire of doing so.
To one who has discovered how to operate - and do so far more efficiently - without thought, thinking is like wearing snowshoes. Useful in deep snow, but hardly for everyday existence.
Deep snow thinking? 'Splain Mr. Crow.
crow

Post by crow »

Have you never heard of snowshoes? I've even worn them. In deep snow, far from mankind.
I was using a metaphor. Strangely, the more intellectual one is, the less likely one is to recognize such things.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

crow wrote:Have you never heard of snowshoes? I've even worn them. In deep snow, far from mankind.
I was using a metaphor. Strangely, the more intellectual one is, the less likely one is to recognize such things.
Although you may not recognize it, your ego that assumes something of another and builds upon this assumption as if it is true is strong. Until this habit of equating assumption with truth (oneness = whatever I want to think even as I eschew thinking) is broken you will remain stuck in your imagined center of "becoming things."

In your post called "human" you describe your interactions with us as ones of having been "attacked, insulted, undermined and condescended-to" except for your interaction with "only one guy [who] has been benevolent", a sure sign of a wounded ego at work. Rejecting or even hating humans and their "false world" is a natural part of the awakening process, but of course, when one eventually wakes up to a fuller understanding of the wisdom of oneness they realize that hating anything and consciousness of the oneness of all things is a blatant contradiction of understanding.

If you're here to have a fearless conversation about your experience of oneness, then make it so. If not, goodbye and blessings to you on your journey to the truth of one.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

movingalways wrote: If you're here to have a fearless conversation about your experience of oneness, then make it so.
Just don't say the word "bullshit". Remember, the fearlessness part and the parts about assumptions/impatience apparently don't apply to girls. Oh well, eventually you'll get bored of listening to crow, beingof1 or ardy, and you'll realize the predicament you're in. One in which in-depth conversation does not exist between sensitive or impatient minds. On a side note for you to consider: At least two of your absolute truths were delusional and illogical.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:
movingalways wrote: If you're here to have a fearless conversation about your experience of oneness, then make it so.
Just don't say the word "bullshit". Remember, the fearlessness part and the parts about assumptions/impatience apparently don't apply to girls. Oh well, eventually you'll get bored of listening to crow, beingof1 or ardy, and you'll realize the predicament you're in. One in which in-depth conversation does not exist between sensitive or impatient minds. On a side note for you to consider: At least two of your absolute truths were delusional and illogical.
Something for you to consider: from where I sit, saying"bullshit" and slapping one's head are signs of impatience. When you get bored of impatience, you'll realize the predicament you're in. If you believe some of my absolute truths are delusion and illogical, I ask you to step into my thread directly and tell me why. Perhaps doing so will cure us of our respective impatience and/or sensitivity, wisdom things have been known to happen!

Dropping the finger-pointing bomb and running is a passive-aggressive act, one that won't help either of us on the road to truth. Assuming of course this is the road you are on.
crow

Post by crow »

Take great care to never accidently shut a cat in an under-stairs cupboard. Failure to attend to this will inevitably result in desperation.
ardy

Post by ardy »

crow wrote:
ardy wrote: I have had a similar experience whilst meditating and in samadhi, where I opened a black box [assuming it was another stupid image that the mind throws up] and inside was the universe and everything was in there and I just slipped into it and became it. All life everything was in there and I felt a connection to everything inside there. I did not exist as a separate thing but was an insignificant part of the greatness of it all.
I find we have a lot in common. It is strange you found yourself in a box, though. I found myself everywhere, everything, always.
But now you have tasted the possibilities, you know what the target looks like.
Deep, deeper, deepest: meditation goes further than any suspect.
The wormhole to God
Very true Crow but you can't state that to everyone without a warning on the pack? Here lies danger and everything you thought about yourself can disappear.
crow

Post by crow »

ardy wrote: Very true Crow but you can't state that to everyone without a warning on the pack? Here lies danger and everything you thought about yourself can disappear.

I never state anything to everyone, although everyone seems to think I state everything expressly to them.
As in this instance, I stated what I stated, expressly to you.