Enlightenment and such

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Enlightenment and such

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

So, I'm noticing this trend that says "Happiness is for children" it's only and "Illusion" and what not. I mean think about it...what is happiness really? Take any hollywood movie, for instance. There needs to be a conflict, pain, negative energy, then a challenge is met, hero triumphs, and something "good" happens (presumably, romantic positivity at the end.) This is called a "happy" ending, where the hero and romantic love interest, presumbly go off into the distance, to live out the rest of their lives in complacency. The end credits roll, and some music plays, and this is considered "closure." Why? Because the music causes emotions to fluctuate a certain way, and it says "THE END", and this is supposed to equal = happy = closure = the end. Life is much the same way.

So you saved up (challenge is met) and bought that "thing" you always wanted (hero triumphs.) You sit in it...and what next. Did it make you happy? Did the flood of estrogen and adrenaline you got from opening that new present really offer you closure? Or is it a never ending roller coaster...just chasing, chasing and chasing...never satisfied. Even six is hardly satisfying, besides being gross, it's just a bunch of random chemicals secreted during orgasm, in fact I have the list of them somewhere on my hard-drive.

Fact of the matter is, is happiness real, or an illusion? If ignorance is bliss, why try to find the Ultimate Truth? What is your goal behind this? Let's think about this.

When you were a kid, before you ate the "tree of knowledge" and saw happiness to be an illusion, were you not content playing in the tunnels? The playground? Frolicking with other children? Even though you never had true closure, you thought you were happy...
As an adult you see through the chemicals, the transparency, and you are not happy. You look upon such memories and see them as a false happiness, you tell yourself you were not happy as a child, because you look from a future perspective with new knowledge.
But what if one day, you lie down, and you become happy, content, fulfilled? And then all of a sudden the thoughts creep in telling you that it is not real, just a chemical illusion...
Was the happiness not real, or was it just not real when you started to think about it and tell yourself it's not real...

Analyze your thoughts AS YOU ARE, not from a future perspective, or a past perspective, it clouds the truth.

Is it possible that you have been so abused, so filled with misery that your actual mind is no longer capable of true perception? I mean, they flood your water with so many toxic chemicals, do you really know if you are thinking clearly? That your opinion is the truth? And you are not some sort of chemical mutation of your past self? Even the water purifier known as Black Mica is said to be more toxic than the toxins it is supposed to be cleaning.
I mean, we are scientists here, we should at least clean the water before we jump the gun and reach any conclusion. I know Buddha was around before the polluted water and all, but I'm sure there was a certain level of corruption in his world too, after all the human species is simply toxic to be around.
My Documentary: mymovie2 wmv
Bobo

Re: Enlightenment and such

Post by Bobo »

When happiness is compared with truth it seems to be more transitive and ephemeral than truth. That is not to say that it has no resemblance with truth as in its independency from other modes of being, and taking one opposite of happiness like sadness, sadness also has a resemblance with truth as in its gravity and thus reality.
In relation to memory I would point out that periods of happiness pass really fast and with lots of happenings in a way that it can become more enduring in memory than other times, even the opposite can be joyful in retrospection- the times where things seems to long and long- can be the opportunity for a battle, of course since the battle would be joyful it doesn't come right away.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:Fact of the matter is, is happiness real, or an illusion? If ignorance is bliss, why try to find the Ultimate Truth? What is your goal behind this? Let's think about this. ... But what if one day, you lie down, and you become happy, content, fulfilled? And then all of a sudden the thoughts creep in telling you that it is not real, just a chemical illusion... Was the happiness not real, or was it just not real when you started to think about it and tell yourself it's not real...
The cycle between states of feeling fulfilled or needy appears to be part of a larger wheel that makes the world go around. Or at least the world of production, of economy. Not that it always makes sense or has some kind of clear utility in our analysis but still, the wheels appear to get set in motion by lack, craving, cold, hunger and even greed. But also by their opposites at other times. Once those flames are fanned we might even get overproduction and general waste. But within that surplus sometimes new things arise as well! Sometimes it seems like so many quintessential human things like morality, art or even philosophy appear more easily in such conditions of abundance. Perhaps all as result of a long period of insane production and suffering? A frightening outlook altogether.

As for the state of peace, joy or happiness, there's a difference between a chemically induced sense of well-being or excitement (child's play) and at the other hand the more "spiritual" kind of arrival at non-being and non-doing: the discovery of emptiness as insight that you're not happy nor sad nor without feelings. But still, neither is beyond causality and thus could be questioned on its reality or truth content.

The goal of finding Ultimate Truth is still based on a desire for power or a flight from malcontent. Or both. But without it, no journey ever would get started.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:As for the state of peace, joy or happiness, there's a difference between a chemically induced sense of well-being or excitement (child's play) and at the other hand the more "spiritual" kind of arrival at non-being and non-doing: the discovery of emptiness as insight that you're not happy nor sad nor without feelings. But still, neither is beyond causality and thus could be questioned on its reality or truth content.

True enlightenment is caused to be based on truth, whereas false enlightenment is caused to be based upon ignorance. Who can question this?
The goal of finding Ultimate Truth is still based on a desire for power or a flight from malcontent. Or both. But without it, no journey ever would get started.
The reason the search for Truth stems from desire is that desire is predominantly the default human state, so whatever we do will succeed this state. It's not because desire - not even the desire to understand the Truth - can help or motivate you to understand the Truth.
Diebert van Rhijn

jupiviv wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:neither is beyond causality and thus could be questioned on its reality or truth content.

True enlightenment is caused to be based on truth, whereas false enlightenment is caused to be based upon ignorance. Who can question this?
Since any "state" is known to be caused, it has no absolute existence in itself: It has been rising dependently. Therefore the state can be questioned simply because its relativity will make that possible. Or in other words: change the context and any claimed reality or truth is up in the air.
The reason the search for Truth stems from desire is that desire is predominantly the default human state, so whatever we do will succeed this state.
That is the same as saying "all is change" and therefore whatever we do, changes are being made. And yet we can speak of an active principle (the masculine aspect).
GreatandWiseTrixie

Bobo wrote:When happiness is compared with truth it seems to be more transitive and ephemeral than truth. That is not to say that it has no resemblance with truth as in its independency from other modes of being, and taking one opposite of happiness like sadness, sadness also has a resemblance with truth as in its gravity and thus reality.
In relation to memory I would point out that periods of happiness pass really fast and with lots of happenings in a way that it can become more enduring in memory than other times, even the opposite can be joyful in retrospection- the times where things seems to long and long- can be the opportunity for a battle, of course since the battle would be joyful it doesn't come right away.
Sadness is the same has happiness. Hate is the same as love. Fear is the opposite of love, but I'm not sure what the opposite of sadness is, maybe apathy?
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:The cycle between states of feeling fulfilled or needy appears to be part of a larger wheel that makes the world go around. Or at least the world of production, of economy. Not that it always makes sense or has some kind of clear utility in our analysis but still, the wheels appear to get set in motion by lack, craving, cold, hunger and even greed. But also by their opposites at other times. Once those flames are fanned we might even get overproduction and general waste. But within that surplus sometimes new things arise as well! Sometimes it seems like so many quintessential human things like morality, art or even philosophy appear more easily in such conditions of abundance. Perhaps all as result of a long period of insane production and suffering? A frightening outlook altogether.

As for the state of peace, joy or happiness, there's a difference between a chemically induced sense of well-being or excitement (child's play) and at the other hand the more "spiritual" kind of arrival at non-being and non-doing: the discovery of emptiness as insight that you're not happy nor sad nor without feelings. But still, neither is beyond causality and thus could be questioned on its reality or truth content.

The goal of finding Ultimate Truth is still based on a desire for power or a flight from malcontent. Or both. But without it, no journey ever would get started..
I am a freak of nature, and thank God for it. Why would anyone want to be included with a species like the human race? I also failed Economics. I'll never understand the logic of a species that somehow needs wars to have a stable economy and makes money off people breaking their own laws.
jupiviv wrote:The reason the search for Truth stems from desire is that desire is predominantly the default human state, so whatever we do will succeed this state.
Please rephrase this, it is a run-on and vague sentence structure. From what I gather, you are saying humans are naturally curious, and naturally desire to find the Truth. This is true. What I'm not following is when you say that having a curious nature (desire) does not motivate you or help you find the Truth? I disagree.
Diebert wrote:Since any "state" is known to be caused, it has no absolute existence in itself: It has been rising dependently. Therefore the state can be questioned simply because its relativity will make that possible. Or in other words: change the context and any claimed reality or truth is up in the air.
I disagree also. An ice cube is caused to be in a "frozen" state, but it exists as an icecube. Take away the context, change the state to hot, it's not an icecube, but it's still water. Like truth, truth will always be water. Change the state to a frequency so high, it ceases to be water, but becomes pureness, unity, any sort of substance (water, wood, plant, mustard, tomato sauce, you name it) when you increase the frequency to a certain state all becomes pureness and unity. Everything burns, but to reach unity you must go past the flames.
Diebert wrote:That is the same as saying "all is change" and therefore whatever we do, changes are being made. And yet we can speak of an active principle (the masculine aspect).
Masculine aspect? That's a bit of an antiquated term...Truth is absolute, why are you basing terms on a corrupt species? Human masculine behaviors are varied, and differ from other species. Some species have inverted masculine behaviors compared to humans. So there's no truth or constancy using a term like that.

I wish there was a multiquote button.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
jupiviv wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:neither is beyond causality and thus could be questioned on its reality or truth content.

Since any "state" is known to be caused, it has no absolute existence in itself: It has been rising dependently. Therefore the state can be questioned simply because its relativity will make that possible. Or in other words: change the context and any claimed reality or truth is up in the air.
Changing the context of an assertion is not the same as questioning its truth or falsity. The moment you change the context, you have a different assertion.
The reason the search for Truth stems from desire is that desire is predominantly the default human state, so whatever we do will succeed this state.
That is the same as saying "all is change" and therefore whatever we do, changes are being made. And yet we can speak of an active principle (the masculine aspect).
That isn't what I meant. My point is that any human endeavour - including enlightenment - stems from desire and attachment, since that is the default mental state of virtually all human beings. There is no special relationship between enlightenment and the desire to avoid suffering. The desire to avoid suffering is what we begin with, and as we become wiser we learn to put it to better use.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:
jupiviv wrote:The reason the search for Truth stems from desire is that desire is predominantly the default human state, so whatever we do will succeed this state.
Please rephrase this, it is a run-on and vague sentence structure. From what I gather, you are saying humans are naturally curious, and naturally desire to find the Truth. This is true. What I'm not following is when you say that having a curious nature (desire) does not motivate you or help you find the Truth? I disagree.
Hi Trixie, and welcome to the forum.

Any kind of desire, including curiosity, is incompatible with truth, since desire ignores everything that does not lead to its fulfillment. However, human beings are naturally desirous, so anything humans do is preceded by desire - that was my point. Even the action of relinquishing desire is preceded by desire, since, to reiterate, human beings are naturally desirous.
GreatandWiseTrixie

jupiviv wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
jupiviv wrote:

Changing the context of an assertion is not the same as questioning its truth or falsity. The moment you change the context, you have a different assertion.
That isn't what I meant. My point is that any human endeavour - including enlightenment - stems from desire and attachment, since that is the default mental state of virtually all human beings. There is no special relationship between enlightenment and the desire to avoid suffering. The desire to avoid suffering is what we begin with, and as we become wiser we learn to put it to better use.
What is suffering? What is pain?
jupiviv wrote:Hi Trixie, and welcome to the forum.

Any kind of desire, including curiosity, is incompatible with truth, since desire ignores everything that does not lead to its fulfillment. However, human beings are naturally desirous, so anything humans do is preceded by desire - that was my point. Even the action of relinquishing desire is preceded by desire, since, to reiterate, human beings are naturally desirous.
Hi, but not sure I agree. For example, I desire to win most debates. However, if someone presents compelling new information, even though I desire to win the debate, naturally I would desire the truth more than my desire to win, and in doing so I would arrive at the truth.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: Sadness is the same has happiness. Hate is the same as love. Fear is the opposite of love, but I'm not sure what the opposite of sadness is, maybe apathy?
I guess the problem is just that emotions are transient and not guaranteed. While truth can bring pleasure or pain either way it's regarded to be more certain than emotions. But what is conventional is certain and something that is conventional cannot be regarded anymore as certainly true. So while truth is certain, it's certainly not a convention.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"As for the state of peace, joy or happiness, there's a difference between a chemically induced sense of well-being or excitement (child's play) and at the other hand the more "spiritual" kind of arrival at non-being and non-doing:" -Diebert

What do you mean by non-being and non-doing? (An inquiry you've posed to me once before I think)
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"Change the state to a frequency so high, it ceases to be water, but becomes pureness, unity, any sort of substance (water, wood, plant, mustard, tomato sauce, you name it) when you increase the frequency to a certain state all becomes pureness and unity. Everything burns, but to reach unity you must go past the flames." -Trix

Really? Is that like the frequency on my radio?

My conclusion:
I must become a radio.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Yeah, that's probably a bullshit statement, light has a frequency all right, water and stuff not so much.
Diebert van Rhijn

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:What do you mean by non-being and non-doing? (An inquiry you've posed to me once before I think)
No-thing! Hahah! The point was here though that no peace can be found in some instable chemical balance, perhaps just a false sense of it with the attached demand to repeat or extent it. So when looking for "true peace", assuming it's real of course for a minute, first one has to get to the cause of this supposed "upset of peace" or conflicted state. This might be described as "dukha", friction, stress of existence, of happenings, of ourselves being caught up. For this reason any spiritual sense of peace and joy is wrapped up with existence itself. And obviously we arrive at completely redefined notions of what we are of what these feelings would mean.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

""upset of peace" or conflicted state. This might be described as "dukha", friction, stress of existence, of happenings, of ourselves being caught up"

Which ofcourse is due to meaning-making.

The suffering of attachment and clinging described, is attachment to meaning, ideas, beliefs. All of which are in a sense, fantasy. The giving up of all belief, "drama"/happenings, is very peaceful.

Perhaps as to be more specific we could even say most are simply over attached or over-involved in meaning making.

The difference between knowing these meanings are not inherently existing is obvious and plain.

For example, in those who have faith, in those who promote information which is only hearsay, in those who are emotional or depressed. Such as trixie, and basically everyone else. It can be seen plain as the sky. Attachment and clinging, meaning-making.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Bobo wrote:Yeah, that's probably a bullshit statement, light has a frequency all right, water and stuff not so much.
lolwut Image

you are joking right

(state (waterliquidfrozen) is determined by the rate a substance vibrates, it's frequency)
SeekerOfWisdom wrote:Such as trixie, and basically everyone else. It can be seen plain as the sky. Attachment and clinging, meaning-making.
Nonsense. I have zero attachment or clinging to anything other than on a basic level, in fact I wish I was never a part of this Earth. Meaning-making? I did nothing of the sort. I am well aware life has no meaning. You however, are guilty of this "meaning-making" thing you speak of. You said "plain as the sky"...attaching and clinging the adjective "plain" to the noun "sky." What if there's not a plain sky? What if there's a thunderstorm? What then? Some would say thunderstorms are plain. Some would say otherwise.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"I am well aware life has no meaning".

Great. Be thorough.

What you said about the water frequency and pure unity was utter fantasy. Let go of all fantasy.
GreatandWiseTrixie

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:"I am well aware life has no meaning".

Great. Be thorough.

What you said about the water frequency and pure unity was utter fantasy. Let go of all fantasy.
If life has no meaning, how should I be thorough about describing nothingness? There's nothing to discuss.

It was indeed a fantasy, as in uncertainty. But like uncertainty, one variable can always be certain. Life follows patterns, and although I cannot prove this theory with conventional means, it feels as though Unity is the key. What I can prove, is that everything burns, and that all forms of energy, when vibrating at a high enough state, begin to turn into similar forms (most everything becomes carcinogenic when you burn it.) I also know, the calm is always best after a storm (thus you must pass the flame stage, in order to reach a high vibration, which is a fact. Whether or not a higher vibration is what you want is debatable.)
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:"I am well aware life has no meaning".

Great. Be thorough.

If life has no meaning, how should I be thorough about describing nothingness? There's nothing to discuss..)
Indeed. There's nothing to get, besides that there's nothing to get.

Meaning-making. It's neither bad nor good, but if one isn't aware the meaning is not inherent, then it leads to emotional instability, drama, beliefs, fears, suffering.

The rest.you wrote was meaning-making, which is the pattern you should consider in yourself.

The closest thing you'll find to unity is in understanding, (not the workings of frequencies, energies, or anything of the sort, but of "yourself")
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote: lolwut

you are joking right

(state (waterliquidfrozen) is determined by the rate a substance vibrates, it's frequency)
Well light is an electromagnetic wave and can be put in a continuum, you can go from red < yellow, and it can be measured in Hz. But in the case of water, while its vibration varies with heat, it doesn't go from water < to something else in the same way, certainly not in a continuuum. I may be wrong here but what would probably happen is that you would break the water molecules in atoms of hydrogen and oxigen and it would result in gases for which the interactions aren't measured in terms of frequency anymore. Besides that the nuclear forces of the atoms are pretty much stable, and in breaking those it would liberate energy, radiation (which is an electromagnetic wave too), etc. Like in an atomic bomb.
Take this statement:
>>(state (waterliquidfrozen) is determined by the rate a substance vibrates, it's frequency)
I think it would be more accurate to say that the state is determined by heat or other factors than to say that it is determined by its frequency.
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:What is suffering? What is pain?
The feeling that reality is lacking.
Hi, but not sure I agree. For example, I desire to win most debates. However, if someone presents compelling new information, even though I desire to win the debate, naturally I would desire the truth more than my desire to win, and in doing so I would arrive at the truth.

If your primary goal is to win a debate, you'll never accept a fact if you believe that doing so could result in a loss.

Desire can be defined in different ways. I define it as an irrational attachment to an object. It could also just mean any goal or purpose. In the latter case it's not necessarily deluded.
GreatandWiseTrixie

jupiviv wrote:
GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:What is suffering? What is pain?
The feeling that reality is lacking.

If your primary goal is to win a debate, you'll never accept a fact if you believe that doing so could result in a loss.

Desire can be defined in different ways. I define it as an irrational attachment to an object. It could also just mean any goal or purpose. In the latter case it's not necessarily deluded.
That's true, and precisely my point. If you have say, a primary goal of finding the truth, which as you say, is "desire", then yes, a desire to truth can help you find the truth by acting as an override for other goals. True, you could get so carried away that you begin to make up bizzarre theories (as I do) to find the truth, but you never know when you'll strike gold.
Well light is an electromagnetic wave and can be put in a continuum, you can go from red < yellow, and it can be measured in Hz. But in the case of water, while its vibration varies with heat, it doesn't go from water < to something else in the same way, certainly not in a continuuum. I may be wrong here but what would probably happen is that you would break the water molecules in atoms of h
Hmm, I tried googling the subject and couldn't find any results either supporting or disagreeing with either of our statements. I'm along the lines of Google just being a bad search engine, overwhelmed with so much data in no longer provides the results you pictured in mind.
Meaning-making. It's neither bad nor good, but if one isn't aware the meaning is not inherent, then it leads to emotional instability, drama, beliefs, fears, suffering.

The rest.you wrote was meaning-making, which is the pattern you should consider in yourself.

The closest thing you'll find to unity is in understanding, (not the workings of frequencies, energies, or anything of the sort, but of "yourself")
So then, should I post theories of consciousness? In the brain, thoughts seem to be made up of audial signals, but highly dampened. When you say outloud your thoughts, your voice has more thickness and timbres than the floaty creamy voice in your head. Science says that when you see something, it is upsidedown, and that your brain has a sort of physical screen consisting of "pixels"...that is your brain re-renders what you see, in physical space, like a theatre a physical theatre in your mind, with the pixels corresponding to real physical space. But who watches the theatre, is it a feedback loop? For all we know you could be on another planet plugged into a radio. For example...Why am I me...and not you? How would I go about possessing one's body?
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"So then, should I post theories of consciousness? In the brain, thoughts seem to be made up of audial signals, but highly dampened. When you say outloud your thoughts, your voice has more thickness and timbres than the floaty creamy voice in your head. Science says that when you see something, it is upsidedown, and that your brain has a sort of physical screen consisting of "pixels"...that is your brain re-renders what you see, in physical space, like a theatre a physical theatre in your mind, with the pixels corresponding to real physical space. But who watches the theatre, is it a feedback loop? For all we know you could be on another planet plugged into a radio. For example...Why am I me...and not you? How would I go about possessing one's body?"

^ Meaning-making. It's made-up. Make-believe. You make the meaning. Get it?
jupiviv

Post by jupiviv »

jupiviv wrote:

That's true, and precisely my point. If you have say, a primary goal of finding the truth, which as you say, is "desire", then yes, a desire to truth can help you find the truth by acting as an override for other goals. True, you could get so carried away that you begin to make up bizzarre theories (as I do) to find the truth, but you never know when you'll strike gold.
How hard is it to find something that's already there? What makes finding truth so difficult is precisely the "other goals".

Besides, finding truth is not an ordinary goal. Even as a primary goal, it is different from all other kinds of primary goals. It is not a goal that can be periodically neglected in favour of less vital goals, or indeed modified or experimented with - doing so shall only deter you from it. This goal is exactly the same when first contemplated as when reified and finally effectuated. Each moment of your life is decisive to this goal, because in each moment you either achieve it in its entirety or don't.
GreatandWiseTrixie

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:"So then, should I post theories of consciousness? In the brain, thoughts seem to be made up of audial signals, but highly dampened. When you say outloud your thoughts, your voice has more thickness and timbres than the floaty creamy voice in your head. Science says that when you see something, it is upsidedown, and that your brain has a sort of physical screen consisting of "pixels"...that is your brain re-renders what you see, in physical space, like a theatre a physical theatre in your mind, with the pixels corresponding to real physical space. But who watches the theatre, is it a feedback loop? For all we know you could be on another planet plugged into a radio. For example...Why am I me...and not you? How would I go about possessing one's body?"

^ Meaning-making. It's made-up. Make-believe. You make the meaning. Get it?
I get what make-believe is. But you aren't really contributing anything to the discussion, that is, my goal is to possess someone's body, and you haven't provided any valuable data on the subject. Your goal is to find the truth, presumably, but when I present some raw data scientists discovered about the mind, you just say it's make-believe meaning making. That is precisely the point, I want you to make me a meaning, a theory, from the data I provided.
How hard is it to find something that's already there? What makes finding truth so difficult is precisely the "other goals".
Hidden truth and secrets can be hard to find. Thankfully there's the internet, which makes it a bit easier.