The effects of wisdom

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Pam Seeback

The effects of wisdom

Post by Pam Seeback »

The post assumes acceptance of causality as absolute truth.

One climbs to the top of the mountain and realizes the absolute truth of causality, the law of cause and effect. While on the top of the mountain, it takes a while to sort through what it all means in relation to its effect on one's conscious life. For me, the effects have been:

1. Knowledge that Self cannot die because causes, therefore effects do not "run out." Hold a gun to my head, drop me into the ocean with cement booties tied to my feet, whatever you believe you are doing to me to kill me, you can't kill cause and effect.

2. Because causes and their effects are in endless supply, I rest my mind on an invisible cushion of knowledge. "Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened."

3. Knowledge of causality has brought me an increased awareness of the effects of unconscious and conscious action. Ignorance of cause and effect produces a mental body of confusion, uncertainty and even chaos, whereas wisdom of cause and effect produces a mental body of calmness, reasonableness and certainty.

How has wisdom of causality effected you?
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: The effects of wisdom

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

It's definitely a chick magnet!
ardy

Post by ardy »

If only Diebert, but Alison might go for the knife drawer.

I find that wisdom comes and goes depending on what is happening. At the moment I am finishing off building our house and I could do with a bucket of the stuff. Alas the tradies have me in the same grip as everyone else and my ego seems to have joined forces with them causing me to be awake 3-4 hours a night thinking, thinking, thinking.

Cause and Effect in the material world is around me daily and I have to live with the consequences in most cases.

The flow of wisdom from within brings with it a calm and focus, that is not the everyday events our lives are generally built around.

Not sure if I have ever noticed the wisdom of cause and effect - wisdom seems to be of one type only to me.

Still if you have it I am happy for you.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Awareness witnesses wisdom orchestrating the music of situations played on samskaras.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It's definitely a chick magnet!
Made me think of:

The real Love I always kept a secret,
all my words sung quietly at night,
outside her window.

And when She let me in,
I took a thousand oaths of silence.
But then She said,

O yes, God said:
"What the hell, Hafiz!
Why not give the whole world
my address?"

~ Hafiz
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

No be's in that honey.
ardy

Post by ardy »

Wisdom has no questions only answers. What a strange concept, inside of us is an engine that is capable of turning out wisdom and it is quite rare to see or hear it in operation.

The concept of a wise man was embedded into our way of life, there was an acceptance that every group would be led by someone with a certain wisdom. Now we have substitute magazine symbols to control our lives and suggest what is the right thing to do. And where have they taken us?
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Answers coexist only in duality with questions but questions do not require answers. Written language provides a doorway to acquiring factual knowledge through which wisdom may be expressed. Other doorways that preceded literacy still exist, for example: speech, experience and reasoning.
ardy

Post by ardy »

Cahoot wrote:Answers coexist only in duality with questions but questions do not require answers. Written language provides a doorway to acquiring factual knowledge through which wisdom may be expressed. Other doorways that preceded literacy still exist, for example: speech, experience and reasoning.
Very true Cahoot also there is innate knowledge that something is wrong, something is right or the correct thing to say at a certain time. A friend of mine was dying and I said I had an DVD I wanted to send him his answer immediately was "It's Mahler isn't it". Now I had never spoken about Mahler to him, he was never a fan of him and had rarely listened to any of his pieces. I asked how he guessed and he said "Since I've had this brain cancer all sorts of things come into my mind that never did before" of course in 3 weeks he could not speak again and died about 6 weeks later. I found it interesting but it could have been a co-incidence or a good guess.

Factual knowledge is something that is not held in very high regard, it seems to be more important to win the argument and refute all knowledgeable suggestions regardless of their content. Seems more like a kids game than a way to run a society.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Oh yes. Quite often mind picks up thoughts from others and when this is little understood, it is explained as a coincidence or dismissed as irrelevant, of no consequence. This can be easily verified in families that are close and open. In our family quite often someone will be thinking of something and another person will express that exact thought, or comment on that thought, much like your friend. This is a siddhi and wisdom is required to maintain mindfulness in speech so that this does not cause harm. Stillness of mind enables relaxing into and surrendering to the recognition of distinctions and origins of thoughts that appear.
ardy

Post by ardy »

Cahoot wrote:Oh yes. Quite often mind picks up thoughts from others and when this is little understood, it is explained as a coincidence or dismissed as irrelevant, of no consequence. This can be easily verified in families that are close and open. In our family quite often someone will be thinking of something and another person will express that exact thought, or comment on that thought, much like your friend. This is a siddhi and wisdom is required to maintain mindfulness in speech so that this does not cause harm. Stillness of mind enables relaxing into and surrendering to the recognition of distinctions and origins of thoughts that appear.
It is an area of great interest but difficult to research scientifically. It is a bit like Schrodinger's cat if you measure it, is it alive or dead?

Still all this anecdotal evidence may mount up to something someday.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

At times science may be more adept at arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic but until it accounts for the animating spark of life it has no valid claim to the helm.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

ardy wrote:
Cahoot wrote:Oh yes. Quite often mind picks up thoughts from others and when this is little understood, it is explained as a coincidence or dismissed as irrelevant, of no consequence. This can be easily verified in families that are close and open. In our family quite often someone will be thinking of something and another person will express that exact thought, or comment on that thought, much like your friend. This is a siddhi and wisdom is required to maintain mindfulness in speech so that this does not cause harm. Stillness of mind enables relaxing into and surrendering to the recognition of distinctions and origins of thoughts that appear.
It is an area of great interest but difficult to research scientifically. It is a bit like Schrodinger's cat if you measure it, is it alive or dead?

Like minds are attracted to one another whether their attraction is because of wisdom of the infinite or it is because of ignorance of wisdom of the infinite. It is not possible to scientifically research this intermingling of spiritual-mental attraction because "the moving finger having writ moves on." Having the wisdom that one cannot research the ever-changing "touching of spirits" is how one lets go of this deluded and thereby distracting idea allowing themselves to be opened up to conscious spirit realization. Or put another way, how can one "mount up to something" when they are (already) everything?
ardy

Post by ardy »

movingalways wrote:
ardy wrote:

Like minds are attracted to one another whether their attraction is because of wisdom of the infinite or it is because of ignorance of wisdom of the infinite. It is not possible to scientifically research this intermingling of spiritual-mental attraction because "the moving finger having writ moves on." Having the wisdom that one cannot research the ever-changing "touching of spirits" is how one lets go of this deluded and thereby distracting idea allowing themselves to be opened up to conscious spirit realization. Or put another way, how can one "mount up to something" when they are (already) everything?
You can mount up to (or on) what ever you like, but to think you are already everything is weird. Thinking you are everything is not experiencing everything as a function of you and the universe being indivisible. This thinking is what I have read and had a glimpse of, that people experience after kensho or full enlightenment but enlightened people grow out of that experience and return to a normal life with a different mindset (for want of any words).
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

ardy wrote:
movingalways wrote:
ardy wrote:

You can mount up to (or on) what ever you like, but to think you are already everything is weird. Thinking you are everything is not experiencing everything as a function of you and the universe being indivisible. This thinking is what I have read and had a glimpse of, that people experience after kensho or full enlightenment but enlightened people grow out of that experience and return to a normal life with a different mindset (for want of any words).
Thinking about being everything and knowing one is everything are not the same experiences of spirit. It is only when one realizes they are the spirit of everything that they also realize they are indivisible with the universe and can go about the "no big deal" business of being the spirit of everything (being awake).
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

movingalways wrote:How has wisdom of causality effected you?
Those that are truely wise, don't need to tell others how wise they are. As a matter of fact, they see themselves as having a long ways to go....
ardy

Post by ardy »

[/quote]
Thinking about being everything and knowing one is everything are not the same experiences of spirit. It is only when one realizes they are the spirit of everything that they also realize they are indivisible with the universe and can go about the "no big deal" business of being the spirit of everything (being awake).[/quote]

We totally agree. Alls well that ends.....
ardy

Post by ardy »

Kunga wrote:
Those that are truely wise, don't need to tell others how wise they are. As a matter of fact, they see themselves as having a long ways to go....
Not sure how you know this but I would agree based on what I have read. A certain air of uncertainty keeps your mind in check by suppressing the ego's need to think you are smart or stupid.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

ardy wrote:
Kunga wrote:
Not sure how you know this but I would agree based on what I have read. A certain air of uncertainty keeps your mind in check by suppressing the ego's need to think you are smart or stupid.
A wise person has no need to tell others how wise they are but for the sake of ending the suffering of others they would not deny having found wisdom of causality nor would they feign uncertainty of having found suffering's cure. In other words, asking a person how wisdom of causality has effected them does not exist in the same realm as the question "how wise are you?"

Nor would a person who knows they have wisdom of causality see themselves as having a long way to go. If one has arrived at the store to buy apples, one does not deny the apples in their grocery bag. "Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

There is nothing about wisdom of infinite causes to be proud of or excited about or uncertain of unless of course one seeks pride, excitation or uncertainty. It also has little to do with someone's IQ. Wisdom of causality is the simplest, most certain darn thing in the world. Your awareness is made of causes, they never end, nor do their effects. Be awake to this truth and voila, you are consciously aware of causation.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Blah Blah Blah

Can you walk on water ?

No ?

You have a long ways to go.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Don't need to walk on water, don't have far to go, truth is right here, right now, Blake's blah, blah, blah:
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

A lifetime bombardment of negativity and cynicism does have consequences. Once the futility of mortality is realized through negativity and cynicism, or any other way, then a patience sets in, and patience is a precursor to compassion.