The Occurrence of Ultimate Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Cahoot

Re: The Occurrence of Ultimate Enlightenment

Post by Cahoot »

Howdy Ardy. In the moment outside of time when thoughts do stop in meditation, the body and mind plunge into such total relaxation that the effects are felt for hours afterwards. This is because breaking the continuity of thoughts establishes a new continuity, a new beginning after the meditation, and beginnings are full of energy.

Think of a road trip.

After hours of sedentary, life-and-death awareness while driving, the continuity dulls one, brain toxins build up, all this must be interrupted, the continuity of attention that is necessary to stay alive while cruising down the highway and that has led to this state of dullness must be broken. You pull off the road and take a quick nap, attention shifts inward, the continuity of attention outward to the road is broken, minutes or hours later you awake in a new world to a new life and continue on at the beginning of a new continuity, retaining what you must of identity.

Here’s an artistic expression of breaking continuity, poetic in its way. A bit dramatic but it gets across the idea of how the actual break happens in a moment, which establishes the space/time demarcation points differentiating before, and after. (;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpCa4zGihM

Those in the know say that mathematics is the purest poetry. A single element of mathematics, the equation, is the foundation for similes, metaphors, allusions that color word pictures to tug the heart, tugging like all the childhoods seen slipping away into the serious distractions of maturity.

Have you attempted the magnum opus alluded to as the poetic culmination?
ardy

Post by ardy »

Cahoot wrote:Howdy Ardy. In the moment outside of time when thoughts do stop in meditation, the body and mind plunge into such total relaxation that the effects are felt for hours afterwards. This is because breaking the continuity of thoughts establishes a new continuity, a new beginning after the meditation, and beginnings are full of energy.

Think of a road trip.

After hours of sedentary, life-and-death awareness while driving, the continuity dulls one, brain toxins build up, all this must be interrupted, the continuity of attention that is necessary to stay alive while cruising down the highway and that has led to this state of dullness must be broken. You pull off the road and take a quick nap, attention shifts inward, the continuity of attention outward to the road is broken, minutes or hours later you awake in a new world to a new life and continue on at the beginning of a new continuity, retaining what you must of identity.

Here’s an artistic expression of breaking continuity, poetic in its way. A bit dramatic but it gets across the idea of how the actual break happens in a moment, which establishes the space/time demarcation points differentiating before, and after. (;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXpCa4zGihM

Those in the know say that mathematics is the purest poetry. A single element of mathematics, the equation, is the foundation for similes, metaphors, allusions that color word pictures to tug the heart, tugging like all the childhoods seen slipping away into the serious distractions of maturity.

Have you attempted the magnum opus alluded to as the poetic culmination?
Hi Cahoot - lovely to hear from you again. I have been without the internet for 6 weeks whilst our ex government Telco scratched its collective arse to work out whether to give me a telephone line or not!

To reply to your interesting post - A break in the continuity is an essential that many don't get or understand, even their sleeping lives are taken up with worry over loss and gain, sex, violence and the general noise of life around them. It was Hakuin (I think) who said 'at this point if you stop all thought whatever comes in during that break (in continuity) is enlightenment.'

I had an insight into the silence and vastness of our existence once many years ago in the 90's. I did write a poor poen about it but could not grasp the essence of what had happened.

The Empty Box

Once a few long years ago,
I was a meditation fool,
Every day was like the last
my brain encased within a cast.

The things I held to oh! so tight
all was lost in struggle or fight.
I came upon a brand new place
an empty country, nothing lasts.

Within this world a compass lost.
I wandered loose without a past
How I’d do the things, they paid me to.
In this dilemma something knew.
(who or what was it?)

I opened up a new brain box
and looked within for someone to,
release me from this twisted zoo.
Inside was stars and life anew.

Within that box an expanse wide,
that sucked me in and stole me.
It pulled a window open ...glide
nothing stood there in its pride.

Within this nothing all else lives.
In side of this all stars exist.
We are a spot within this space,
the whole pathetic human race.

If any of you get out there
lift this lid and look within.
Mind always as you close the lock,
the engulfed, silent, empty box.
Bob Thomas 21-12-2004

I also wrote this one about the searching at the time:

Stars in my Head like Rocks in a Pool

I'm digging down so deep, in life's walk of sleep.
To get to the end of a lost road, descend.

Staring ahead is opaque at best.
Dodging barbed wire, the odd screeching tyre.

Suddenly nothing, fear grips at my heart.
Edge set life on a black painted cliff.

No road behind me, I cannot go back.
Nothing before me, just death at one step.

My hearts beating so fast, no thoughts what to do.
Step over the cliff edge, my god! What a view.

Into deaths clutches, I enter myself.
All of a sudden life slows right down.

Explosions in my head, "have I hit the ground".
The stars all before me completely confound.

The rock pool of life, points and laughs at the sound,
of the stars in my cranium banging around.

My eyes see the sky, my heart feels the light.
The stars in my head are just perfect tonight.

Bob Thomas 24-8-05
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

We suffer our thoughts so we search to end the suffering. We become philosophers, spiritual seekers, 'men' of God, lover's of wisdom. We read, we study, we think upon the holy or wise words written by those who have gone before us. We meditate, we contemplate, we pray, we reason, and finally, in a moment of "bursting through" we find what we believe we have been searching for..."IT." Oh how beautiful and perfect is this vast open sky of pure awareness we think (hint of irony yet to come). We are made brand new we shout in joy, I must tell the world about this great truth of nothing I have found!

So we share our experience of the vast open sky of pure awareness, the holy of the holy, the deep of the deep, the nameless, the formless, the causality, the infinite, the ascent, the descent, the path, the real, the illusion, the journey. We write poems, essays, blogs, we discuss, we debate, we dialogue. And then one day, perhaps as we are about to write another poem or post another 'wise' thought about IT, it dawns on us that IT has been 'here' all along, pooping, farting, loving, hating, drinking, eating, thinking, not thinking, searching, not searching, suffering, not suffering.

Enter irony.

"My God--Life! Who can understand even one little minute of it! 'Don't try', he said. 'Just pretend you understand.' 'That's--that's very good advice!' I went limp." - Kurt Vonnegut

"If there were no God, there would be no atheists." - G.K. Chesterton.

And yeah, another post about IT. It's a drug I tell you, it's a drug. It's either that or insert a line of merlot into my veins. :-)
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Many who awaken begin writing poetry, having realized the causal truth leading to and following truth expressed.

Here is some poetic prose conveying beauty in this clip, if the new phone line can handle the bandwidth.

The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter - Sondra Locke and Alan Arkin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qrp7t69tSU
ardy

Post by ardy »

movingalways wrote:We suffer our thoughts so we search to end the suffering. We become philosophers, spiritual seekers, 'men' of God, lover's of wisdom. We read, we study, we think upon the holy or wise words written by those who have gone before us. We meditate, we contemplate, we pray, we reason, and finally, in a moment of "bursting through" we find what we believe we have been searching for..."IT." Oh how beautiful and perfect is this vast open sky of pure awareness we think (hint of irony yet to come). We are made brand new we shout in joy, I must tell the world about this great truth of nothing I have found!

So we share our experience of the vast open sky of pure awareness, the holy of the holy, the deep of the deep, the nameless, the formless, the causality, the infinite, the ascent, the descent, the path, the real, the illusion, the journey. We write poems, essays, blogs, we discuss, we debate, we dialogue. And then one day, perhaps as we are about to write another poem or post another 'wise' thought about IT, it dawns on us that IT has been 'here' all along, pooping, farting, loving, hating, drinking, eating, thinking, not thinking, searching, not searching, suffering, not suffering.

Enter irony.

"My God--Life! Who can understand even one little minute of it! 'Don't try', he said. 'Just pretend you understand.' 'That's--that's very good advice!' I went limp." - Kurt Vonnegut

"If there were no God, there would be no atheists." - G.K. Chesterton.

And yeah, another post about IT. It's a drug I tell you, it's a drug. It's either that or insert a line of merlot into my veins. :-)
I would suggest the Merlot, but it is bland and inoffensive in Australia, drunk by people with a poor palate. Go the BIG shiraz and see where that takes you?