Most Logical After Death Scenario

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Leyla Shen

Re: Most Logical After Death Scenario

Post by Leyla Shen »

When you said, "I have thoughts" what were you suggesting has the thoughts?

I know you said 'I', but what is that
?

I have already answered this (twice, now), why do you keep repeating the same question?

How about you tell me the answer and I'll tell you exactly what I think about your truth.
Between Suicides
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Sorry, forgot something:
Experience is it. That's all there is.
Without cause and effect (aka causality)?
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Glostik91 wrote:My question was, 'how does one invoke something that doesn't even exist?' I assumed you were going to say something to the affect of one doesn't invoke a nonexistent thing but rather one invokes the idea of it within the mind. Is this what you're saying?
The invocation is part of its existence, like any referral. It seems to me pointless to wonder about "actually existing" since all things we refer to in words are tentative. Its "reality" comes out of the whole context and your relations to that.

To return briefly to the "after death scenario", it's just as presumptious to think about a "nothing" or "ending" as it is to assume continuation or endless repeat. Although I suspect the first options are less scary. People appear to desire that kind of rest, at some level at least. It remains to be seen if they'll ever get it!
....all bogus questions. They are all dumb questions, and one who asks them in expectation of a solution is diseased. There are no philosophical/metaphysical/epistemological problems.
That sounds like a neat solution in itself! Are you happy to have such solution or is that a pranging question hiding in your pocket?
For which the solution provides the fig leaf?
Why is it more natural for people to think that the sun goes round the earth? Because it looks like that is the case.
People would probably sooner think it's a golden carriage going up and down the blue fields of heaven if one would just observe with a simpler (but still symbolic) conceptualization. You appear to assume some "basic" observation of things?
Why is it more natural for people to think that cause and effect exists? Because it looks like that is the case.
It's really a logical concept. Appearances do not appear to confirm cause and effect simply because we cannot deduce all of them. Many times we don't see any causes or effects from our limited perspective. This is how people started with "magic" and "miracles", because it "looks like that is the case".
Causality is logically proven to not exist, but it is insane to think that causality solves anything philosophical in the first place.
I agree that would be insane. But understanding the metaphysical relevance of causality does help to prevent people landing in some kind of swamp. It can help "sobering up" but I don't want to put it on a shrine as some article of faith. In the end it's just a field for personal exploration, how causality can lead to understanding the more complex interconnecting and interweaving, beyond even the simpler scientific meanings.
ardy

Post by ardy »

Glostik91 wrote:
ardy wrote:
Glostik91 wrote:
ardy wrote: Glostik you are being silly. You should know that if you knew the answer to that question, there would be no more questions to ask. You need to do more work and less reading and writing.
haha And what makes you think I am the silly one?
Because you seem to not understand the basic structure of what you are talking about.
You seem to know what you're talking about by how boldly you exclaim 'I don't know.' Tell me who is this 'I' that doesn't know?
No Start, No Finish.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Cahoot wrote:
Define further "the reality of who you are."
The real you is not a little drunk. ;)

The little drunk will die.
Does the real you die?
Does the real me die?
A body dies, but I have a body.
A mind dies, but I have a mind.
So if I am not really a mind nor a body, then what am I?

Dumb question.
a gutter rat looking at stars
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Leyla Shen wrote: Actually, I demonstrated nothing exists/no things exist in the same way you demonstrated that causality doesn't exist. How on earth could you have a problem with it?
Isn't it utterly obvious that things exist?
Oh. So humans didn't calculate and experiment how to get to the moon, hunt for food, build bridges, etc, on the basis of causality because there's "no need for it"; and causality has nothing to do with any decision you make (like jump out of the way of a bus if it's brought to your attention) because there's "no need" for it?
We're discussing philosophy, not physics.

There is no philosophical need for it.
Clearly, only some people comprehend the logic of causality, even though all people otherwise act in accordance with it.
Clearly only some people comprehend the illogic of causality too.
How about you tell me the answer and I'll tell you exactly what I think about your truth.
Its a dumb question to begin with.
Sorry, forgot something:

Quote:
Experience is it. That's all there is.

Without cause and effect (aka causality)?
One can have an experience of causality. One can also have an experience of that which is uncaused.
a gutter rat looking at stars
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Its a dumb question to begin with.
Yes, which explains why you repeatedly ask it.
Between Suicides