Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
BardoXV

Re: Enlightenment

Post by BardoXV »

Kunga wrote: A person does not become Enlightened, Enlightenment already IS. When you realize what Enlightenment IS, you know it no longer is "you" that is Enlightened.

I read something to this effect several years ago and I decided that since I was already enlightened and just didn't know it, I would just skip all the hard work and play with my grandchildren.
BardoXV

Post by BardoXV »

Cahoot wrote:
Kunga wrote:If you were Enlightened you'd know all the answers to everything.
More like, you know all that you must know.

“Love says: ‘I am everything’. Wisdom says: ‘I am nothing.’
Between the two my life flows.”
- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
No, if you were enlightened, you would know that there are no answers, you would also know that there are no questions.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Bardo, such nihilism can feel liberating but certainly wouldn't qualify as enlightenment of any kind. Both nihilism and your "truth" appears to promote the same stuff: no real questions, no real answers. Truth is that your mind is all about questioning and answering. Walking away from that is to walk away from life and suffering while singing yourself to sleep with the conviction it's all gone now. For wisdom this ("no-mind") is just a start and not a final truth of any kind.
BardoXV

Post by BardoXV »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Bardo, such nihilism can feel liberating but certainly wouldn't qualify as enlightenment of any kind. Both nihilism and your "truth" appears to promote the same stuff: no real questions, no real answers. Truth is that your mind is all about questioning and answering. Walking away from that is to walk away from life and suffering while singing yourself to sleep with the conviction it's all gone now. For wisdom this ("no-mind") is just a start and not a final truth of any kind.
Perhaps I stated it poorly, but my position is not nihilism, but the positive knowledge of everything, that eliminates the need for questions and answers. Enlightenment should be the realization of all knowledge, not the negation of knowledge, sorry for the misrepresentation.