Genius Types

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
fontana

Genius Types

Post by fontana »

Do you subscribe to Gardner's and others' idea that there are multiple types of intelligences? If so, in what category of intelligence do you or others consider yourself a genius?

Also, if your genius is ascribed to one type of intelligence, do you find yourself using your genius in that one type of intelligence to augment your abilities and/or talents in other types of intelligences?
fontana

Re: Genius Types

Post by fontana »

One of Gardner's intelligence categories is Existential Intelligence, or the ability to tackle deep questions about human existence, etc. This is category that I see covered well by the posts in this forum.

Personally, I've been cast as a "creative genius", but that category don't exist on Gardner's list. My accomplishments so far have centered in art, music and writing. I've noticed that my improvements in the existential realm have bolstered my abilities on the creative front. Therefore, it seems worthwhile to make efforts to improve all areas of intelligences to improve the one/s in which we naturally excel.

And you?
ardy

Post by ardy »

fontana wrote:One of Gardner's intelligence categories is Existential Intelligence, or the ability to tackle deep questions about human existence, etc. This is category that I see covered well by the posts in this forum.

Personally, I've been cast as a "creative genius", but that category don't exist on Gardner's list. My accomplishments so far have centered in art, music and writing. I've noticed that my improvements in the existential realm have bolstered my abilities on the creative front. Therefore, it seems worthwhile to make efforts to improve all areas of intelligences to improve the one/s in which we naturally excel.

And you?
I have no genius, no talent and no artistic abilities and I am very thankful for that. I have worked with talented people for a large part of my life and the occasional outstanding individual who some might call a genius, none of them have been particularly happy with their lot. They all seemed to be looking for something larger, a bit like that old song "Is That all There is". I know that Bertrand Russell on entering university was shocked to find himself standing above others he thought would be so much better than himself.

There is no comfort in genius is my conclusion (although I appreciate the rewards we have gained from their gestalt). There is comfort in being happy with what you have.

Gardener should have said that the study of the infinite will increase existential genius dramatically.
fontana

Post by fontana »

Ardy,

Your reply is honest and good. There is the same appeal and zest for genius as there is for winning the lottery. It's all icing and no cake. It can make you sick and doesn't satisfy. Seeking to satisfy the ego or the immediate gratifier only results in temporary glee. True happiness does seem to center on being satisfied with what you have, as you say. However, some of us are just cut a certain way, and there's no escaping our lot in life. For example, I'm as certain that I'll produce an artistic masterpiece as I am anything. But, I'd trade my life for an ordinary one any day. I'm a genius, but I'm a manic depressive. I experience depths of moods that I'd rather not. Last year I went so far as to kill myself to escape the pain. I was dead for a little while, but my wife found me and gave me CPR. She's an angel. Dying was easy, it's the living that's been a bear. Still, I'm willing sacrifice all that I am and all that I have to bring happiness to my loved ones.

So I ask all of you who are cut a certain way, what kind of genius are you?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

pleasant feelings, neutral feelings, unpleasant feelings.
geddit?

stick it in neutral for a while.

Go out to the bush, find a clearing and dance the 'Dying Swan' for hours and hours.
fontana

Post by fontana »

No thank you. I can't dance very well. I'm not going to suppress my feelings here, as feelings are part of the experience of life. But I do like your style.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

fontana means 'fountain of love'.
wow.
Thanks.
I get it.
Source.
ardy

Post by ardy »

fontana wrote:Ardy,

Your reply is honest and good. There is the same appeal and zest for genius as there is for winning the lottery. It's all icing and no cake. It can make you sick and doesn't satisfy. Seeking to satisfy the ego or the immediate gratifier only results in temporary glee. True happiness does seem to center on being satisfied with what you have, as you say. However, some of us are just cut a certain way, and there's no escaping our lot in life. For example, I'm as certain that I'll produce an artistic masterpiece as I am anything. But, I'd trade my life for an ordinary one any day. I'm a genius, but I'm a manic depressive. I experience depths of moods that I'd rather not. Last year I went so far as to kill myself to escape the pain. I was dead for a little while, but my wife found me and gave me CPR. She's an angel. Dying was easy, it's the living that's been a bear. Still, I'm willing sacrifice all that I am and all that I have to bring happiness to my loved ones.

So I ask all of you who are cut a certain way, what kind of genius are you?
If you have that weight to carry then it seems to come with greater insights on the mania side and greater ignorance on the down side. Have you ever had a look at the 'Play of the Guna's'? I did mention it here once, I think. It defines the three states of human existence Sattwa, Rajas and Manas. Most people live in Rajas (holding on to what they have whilst trying to grab more and dealing with those they care about in measure of how they treat them). Sounds to me like you might bounce between Sattwa (light) and Manas(darkness).

What you experience is the same as everyone else but far more pronounced. Not sure how you tie a rope to it, but I do believe meditation has a role to play there.
ardy

Post by ardy »

fontana wrote:No thank you. I can't dance very well. I'm not going to suppress my feelings here, as feelings are part of the experience of life. But I do like your style.

fontana: I get a similar feeling about Dennis M. It took me some time to get a hold on what he is talking about (still don't get all of it) but it is singular and shot through with insights.

Note: I think that if you give your emotions full rein, you will dive in that pool which is a huge expanse, but not very deep. Most end up with a broken nose - If they are lucky!
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

A kid, Raymond, has been coming to our meditation class this year. Normally ebullient he fronted up downcast this week.
I said 'what happened', he didn't want to look at it.
He is in the aspiration of a career in acting and attends the local Performing Arts College.

'What happened' was on the Friday he was assigned a role in an upcoming production and was told by the director to come to rehearsals without knowing the lines.
Ray's preference is to work out all the lines and 'be in the character' before rehearsals. (Joe Cool).

Having that instruction from the director sent Ray into the grip of anxiety.
The Dying Swan mode of feeling.

After the med class when the others had left I said let's dance the Dying Swan.
Huh? he said.

I started off and he soon found the groove and hammed it up like in those old movies when the guy takes a bullet and enters into an exaggerated 'death throes' trip.
We laughed and laughed and soon enough he was dancing the joy of 'the sugar plum fairy'.

Feelings.
in the grip of.

If you play a country and western record backwards you get you dog and your wife back ;)
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Dennis Mahar wrote: Feelings.
in the grip of.
Just a power trip and he surrendered. You're the guru man, tripping that role!

But oddly enough the bloke in deed needed to learn surrendering to the director, not to fight him, with all the anxiety of rebellion and doubt.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Well, it's important Ray come to med class free of a head full of drama.
Learning to be at one with the breath at the nostrils is difficult enough without coming to it in the mode of 'swept away' in a feeling-stuckness
if he comes along it is behoven on me to have that kind of conversation with him.
roll the sleeves up.
Diebert van Rhijn

He had nerves, going into the deep. He took a deep breath and relaxed. And you got to play teacher, making you feel better too! :)
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I got to play Student.
I had to ask him about himself and listen to him.
An Inquiry in which he taught me himself.

He showed me 'rabbit caught in a spotlight'.

I got to play Mediator to his 'frozen-in-time' feeling possibility.

The teaching is breath at nostril.
That knowledge is taught in class.
Know-how is for him to catch.
ardy

Post by ardy »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:He had nerves, going into the deep. He took a deep breath and relaxed. And you got to play teacher, making you feel better too! :)
Diebert if you feel you are free from the ego play that we all dance to, please give some idea to the rest of us about this. All you seem to be doing is giving yourself a buzz by an assumption of how someone else feels. This is certainly not the placid acceptance and surrender you are advocating. Sometimes you come across to me as just mean minded.
Diebert van Rhijn

ardy wrote: Sometimes you come across to me as just mean minded.
Just spotting the power trips. And such spotting is a trip as well. As some Zen thingy says "this stick will hit you thirty times" either way.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

D,
you're playing the prosecutor and defender at the same trial.

Just a power trip and he surrendered. You're the guru man, tripping that role!
Wrongness
But oddly enough the bloke in deed needed to learn surrendering to the director, not to fight him, with all the anxiety of rebellion and doubt.
Rightness

Has to be a mistrial.
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:D, you're playing the prosecutor and defender at the same trial.
Everything anyone does can be explained in such terms, as I've said to you before. But you are using it as some stick or shtick. Why not move on?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Everything anyone does can be explained in such terms, as I've said to you before. But you are using it as some stick or shtick. Why not move on?
You were playing prosecutor and defender in the same act.
Can you bring a pointed focus to that without territorial spraying.

What is this penchant for handing out brickbats and bouquets?
Formula?
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:You were playing prosecutor and defender in the same act. Can you bring a pointed focus to that without territorial spraying.
Let me try again. You mean you think are not playing those roles, prosecutor and defender? Do you really think some do, others don't? Is that what someone taught you, what you like to believe? If not, then why showing it other people. Especially people who are not disagreeing with it.
What is this penchant for handing out brickbats and bouquets? Formula?
For you, it appears as brickbats and bouquets, for others, light.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Nah, brickbats and bouquets.
infers a sense of entitlement.
lighten up.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

A couple of weeks ago, at a tram stop, a half-pissed woman approached me and wanted to chat.
I listened.
She was 'up' because it was her 38th birthday and 'down' because she had no one to celebrate with.
A speech from me wasn't needed or required.
I offered her a birthday massage.
She took me home.
I gave her a shiatsu for an hour.
She relaxed beautifully.
I put my hand on her box, she welcomed it.
I placed my fingers on the G spot and massaged.
She squirted 3 times and met with a full body orgasm.
Then, as usual, the need to pee pee.
She came back and said 'fuck me hard'.
I said 'go to sleep' and she did.

What was needed and required.

I left.

Sue me.
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:
Nah, brickbats and bouquets.
infers a sense of entitlement.
lighten up.
infers a sense of entitlement -> brickbat!
lighten up -> bouquet!

You see Dennis, your shtick can be applied everywhere on everyone, whatever they say. Even yourself. Just like exclusive breathing "exercises". Only you are selling it as something you need to explain.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I'm talkin' about the condition.

'Your schtick' looks like a get-out clause.
To minimise, discount, discredit.
a failure to be.
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:'Your schtick' looks like a get-out clause. To minimise, discount, discredit. A failure to be.
You mean it's only a problem when someone else criticizes and correct. Your own approach is the special and gentle version!

Root ignorance: no mirror, no reflection. Vampirism!