Enlightened! Really?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kunyab

Enlightened! Really?

Post by Kunyab »

So my husband claims to be enlightened. He had always been interested in spiritual stuff and some of this is part of our traditions as Hindus. However, enlightenment is a very rare occurence and mostly confined to people who have gone through a very strong spiritual experience or have a completely detached ascetic life.
None of which has happened in his case.

I find it very hard to digest that he is enlightened now.

Searching more on this stuff I came to this forum, and ask what you guys think of him, is he just fooling himself?

He has been writing about this stuff at http://www.vedantademystified.blogspot.com

I am just interested in knowing if what he says seems true or just a fiction his mind has invented to escape into a convenient reality.
Last edited by Kunyab on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dennis Mahar

Re: Enlightened! Really?

Post by Dennis Mahar »

You've got a resentment.
You've lost control of him.
Love him anyway.
Peace.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dear Kunyab....

Have you ever thought about having your husband teach you ?

In the meantime...I read this story today for the first time about Rumi (I love his poetry), this story helps to understand why Rumi wrote as he did.....and why some are Enlightened.....

Enjoy !

http://jamilahammad.com/rumiandshams/thestory.htm

Love came,
and became like blood in my body.
It rushed through my veins and
encircled my heart.
Everywhere I looked,
I saw one thing.
Love's name written
on my limbs,
on my left palm,
on my forehead,
on the back of my neck,
on my right big toe…
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

Rumi
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

I read a little of your husbands blog....he seems to know what he's talking about !
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Obviously this is some pathetic way to spam the blog here. And if he couldn't get a wiser or less gossiping wife, he surely has little wisdom!

There's a second blog from 2011 too: http://observethespinningwheel.blogspot.nl/

As for the content of "I am", it sounds pretty mundane, the typical outpouring of someone staring at his belly button a bit too long. Some degree of awakening to subjectivity and some "liberating" nihilism might have occurred. But this forum is full of such half-wits (people with little hearts and mind whose cups are filled up rather fast when a bit of space is discovered). If I were you, I'd kick his ass! See if he likes a more ascetic life for a while and challenge the real attachments, not just the abstracts.
Kunyab

Post by Kunyab »

Kunga,
Thanks for your words and the link to the story of Rumi. This is also what my husband keeps saying
There is one eternal, simple truth: I AM. And because that is so, everything is because I AM. I AM God the Creator, everything else I am not, although I can be if I so choose.
But I say you have an I and I have an I, how can they be same. Can you think my thoughts and feel my emotions. If no then how can you say that I am is one.
Kunyab

Post by Kunyab »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Obviously this is some pathetic way to spam the blog here. And if he couldn't get a wiser or less gossiping wife, he surely has little wisdom!
Sorry Diebert, it is just that I feel that our world have grown so apart. I living in this earth, whereas he has gone off to a different reality. I thought that other people who are more familiar with these things can help me drill some sense into him.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:As for the content of "I am", it sounds pretty mundane, the typical outpouring of someone staring at his belly button a bit too long. Some degree of awakening to subjectivity and some "liberating" nihilism might have occurred. But this forum is full of such half-wits (people with little hearts and mind whose cups are filled up rather fast when a bit of space is discovered). If I were you, I'd kick his ass! See if he likes a more ascetic life for a while and challenge the real attachments, not just the abstracts.
I try to challenge him, but whenever I challenge him by say pointing out that he has not really given up anything at all unlike Ramana, he just says that all he knows is I am and other things such as asceticism and comparison to Ramana are just ideas in the mind to which he has no need to attach. I think that his enlightenment is too theoretical as you say. As you I also feel that asceticism is integral to enlightenment.
Kunyab

Post by Kunyab »

Dennis Mahar wrote:You've got a resentment.
Love him anyway.
Peace.
Not losing control but losing context and connection. I just wanted him in this real world not in some fanciful abstraction.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Kunyab wrote:
Dennis Mahar wrote:You've got a resentment.
Love him anyway.
Peace.
Not losing control but losing context and connection. I just wanted him in this real world not in some fanciful abstraction.
Kunyab, what you want for him is irrelevant to what he wants, no? I am blessed, as I am married to a man who wants nothing of me or for me and vice versa.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Are you providing context and connection?
Often we project on others what is me.
It looks like you are withdrawing and insisting he take the blame.

Anyway a possibility for your 'self' is opening up to explore.
a breakthru'.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Kunyab wrote:Kunga,
Thanks for your words and the link to the story of Rumi. This is also what my husband keeps saying
There is one eternal, simple truth: I AM. And because that is so, everything is because I AM. I AM God the Creator, everything else I am not, although I can be if I so choose.
But I say you have an I and I have an I, how can they be same. Can you think my thoughts and feel my emotions. If no then how can you say that I am is one.

Dear Kunyab...

The "I Am" of you, is the same "I AM" that dwells in everything & everyone. Thoughts and emotions are temporary things. The "I AM" is eternal & infinite.

Some yogis/ ascetics go live in the mountains, just because they get away from it all doesn't mean they are pure and have totally renounced all attachments....they can be attached to their ascetic practice, thinking they are better than others, etc.

Householders do not have to give up or renounce their families. As a matter of fact, those yogis that continue their practice "in the world", have far more obstacles, than the yogis that go into the forest or mountains.

http://good-life-yoga.com/?p=381

_/\_

Namaste
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dear Kunyab...

You feel your husband has drifted off into another reality.......maybe you could take a vacation to his world, and travel together for a while....
It may help you understand him more....and be more at peace ?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

If generosity doesn't 'hurt' it isn't generosity.

what's at stake?

equally, he could climb down off his pile of horseshit and listen to her.

generosity all round.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

K.
the situation isn't clear enough.
having some familiarity with situations, I assume he's strutting around like a preening peacock and she's left to do the cleaning, cooking, washing, ironing, shopping.
if she dumped him he'd shatter into a myriad pieces.

all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put humpty together again.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Acceptance is one of the great challenges. Quite often women get along by retaining passive/aggressive and overt control, control is maintained by keeping the man off balance, and the man is kept off balance with the simple but effective viewpoint that she utilizes to flavor most every situation, the assertion that … “whatever you’re doing is wrong, explain your actions, justify yourself, that’s not good enough.” This is a particularly effective method of control in cultures where divorce is more of a foreign concept. Whereas in a spiritual sense the man may be moved to adopt neti neti as a practice of self-enquiry, he is but an amateur in this regard when compared to woman, for the very essential pragmatic foundation of the woman’s psyche is neti neti … she is simply adept at strategically masking this when it suits her ends. When the reality of this becomes an endless source of amusement and laughter for the man, when he sees the woman’s elemental drive to negate as an affectionate quirk, and when the realization that no one gives a flying care about his insights serves as an even greater source of joy and amusement, then at least he will be pleasant to be around, if he isn’t already. ;)
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

I don't know...I can't imagine what Kunyab is going through...
I always dreamed of having an Enlightened yogi to be my husband...
But when someone is that close to you in your household, I can imagine how hard it would be to see them as Enlightend, when you can see their faults...etc

But in India it is a tradition to take up spiritual pursuits at some point in your life...for house holders it's usually towards the end of your life-cycle ...I feel Kunyab should try to be more understanding and supportive. It is rare to find anyone truely interested in truth and spiritual matters in this world.

One thing for sure...if he is Enlightened...he should be more loving and supportive of her .
She is very frustrated with him.
Yes, we don't know the whole story....poor Kunyab comes here seeking advice/help.

I am a householder... gone amuck myself ....living in limbo between both worlds....
I don't have the adacity to claim I am Enlightened....but I love studying and learning about people that are.

I love everything Kunyabs husband has written. He sounds Enlightened enough to me !
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I love everything Kunyabs husband has written.
rehashing old script doesn't make a difference.
there must be 30 trillion books around also scripted.

If you're already sold the organ grinder has a predisposed monkey.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

for the very essential pragmatic foundation of the woman’s psyche is neti neti …
oh yeah!
a fierce woman can't be fooled.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dennis Mahar wrote:rehashing old script doesn't make a difference.
there must be 30 trillion books around also scripted.
Yeah, but doesn't it just go to show that things of this nature (truth)
doesn't change ?

You can say or write or feel and think what millions have before you...just because its all the same doesn't make it untruth.

I don't think anyone would even care to write about such things if they didn't know this in their hearts as truth.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

the ego's desire for eternal existence sets up a game of 'chinese whispers'.

pstt, pass it along.

This is it,
not that, not that, not that
chop wood, carry water.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Some call it Brahman
Some call it God
Some call it Emptiness

To me it's all the same.

Concepts

Yes, the Ego wants eternity...so why is the Universe zillions of years old ?
Whatever this is or isn't, is eternally nothing or everything or both or neither.....
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

It's a condition.
therefore it lacks inherent existence.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Yes...but there still remains something that exists, even when nothing inherently exists.

!
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

ineffable silence.

when we die the world we experienced while alive simply disappears.
when we fall asleep at night the world we experienced while awake simply disappears.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dennis Mahar wrote:ineffable silence.
What is silent ?