Life after Death - Why Bother?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: Life after Death - Why Bother?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Leyla Shen wrote:
Isn't there a risk here for just dividing between two types of "socially created" self-hoods?
No. The former is a (as Nietzsche indicates with thing-in-itself) superimposition on the latter.
But could you argue the case though? That your consciousness of a "living individual" is not still socially created somehow?
And created by whom exactly?
Whom? Thing-in-itself, Platonic Form, whom?

There is no "whom".
Of course you could name a few possible causes at work. Or is it by magic things are "socially created"? Spontaneous arrival of the first life form or like the invisible hand of some "free market"? But even those forces are described up to a point. This has nothing to do with any theory on the origin of substances but just with some indication of context.
In my view there's quite a lot at stake at this point perhaps even more than Nietzsche and Marx could envision in their time.
Yeah? And what would that be? The prison walls of his faith?
Since you appeared to agree, what do you think "destruction of self consciousness" meant in that context? I mean Nietzsche broke down and went into some kind of partially disabled mental state, would that be a self-fulfilling prophecy? What would happen when "self consciousness" is destroyed? What would go with it? Those larger questions I had in mind.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

But could you argue the case though? That your consciousness of a "living individual" is not still socially created somehow?
Nietzsche has already argued it in every quote so far, Diebert. Nevertheless, yes I can. The living individual is not the same as the metaphor "your consciousness". Such a metaphor is not the same as my existence; rather, it is a purely abstract correlation arising in an ether of Platonic Form "known" as consciousness.

I still live and breathe, whether or not I answer your question.

AND:
Of course you could name a few possible causes at work.
You asked for a whom, which necessarily requires a living individual, not a set of statistical correlations.
Since you appeared to agree, what do you think "destruction of self consciousness" meant in that context?
Apologies, I meant the opposite of what you are suggesting, viz; escaping from the prison wall's of one's faith in a unified, causal self destroys psychological angst for the individual. Such angst is the prison, and such a self is this faith*.
I mean Nietzsche broke down and went into some kind of partially disabled mental state, would that be a self-fulfilling prophecy?
You think this happened to him because of philosophy? It appears to me that you haven't understood him at all, if so.
What would happen when "self consciousness" is destroyed?
See *
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Leyla Shen wrote:The living individual is not the same as the metaphor "your consciousness". Such a metaphor is not the same as my existence; rather, it is a purely abstract correlation arising in an ether of Platonic Form "known" as consciousness. I still live and breathe, whether or not I answer your question.
Your awareness of the one "living" is a consciousness. The whole point of Nietzsche's piece was to suggest that even that, yes, even that might be just "conceptual truth", ingrained and solidified over the many ages in a "knowing" kind of experience but still part of that "sum of human relations which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory".

Just asserting it as not being a metaphor, not abstract but "real" is exactly the problem of "truth" being addressed. Especially the modern conception of it, solid truths as some kind of material sense and experiencing.
Of course you could name a few possible causes at work.
You asked for a whom, which necessarily requires a living individual, not a set of statistical correlations.
Well, it could relate to anything personified (as literary device) or a even personal god or intelligent force. And I even expanded in the next post suggesting possible "magic things", "invisible hands" and basically changed to the generic causes to make it a bit easier. It's important to think about this when invoking "creation" or "created" in any context. How it relates to men, as not to leave it to magic: all the things we chose not to think about.
Apologies, I meant the opposite of what you are suggesting, viz; escaping from the prison wall's of one's faith in a unified, causal self destroys psychological angst for the individual. Such angst is the prison, and such a self is this faith*.
In that case I don't think you're reading On Truth in Extra-Moral Sense in the way I was reading it. You appear to invoke the myth of yet another order of individuals here. It's puzzling why you think that would change anything to the dilemma.
You think this happened to him because of philosophy? It appears to me that you haven't understood him at all, if so.
In my view you're taking philosophy at this stage not seriously enough, not existential enough. It always asks the deepest questions about human nature at our own peril. It's not fear for freedom of the individual (Sartre's anguish), it's actually more like its disappearance we oppose so much -while desiring the same nevertheless. Perfectly in line with nihilism by the way, a nihilism which had to come in this age and its philosophy. But we call it freedom.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Your awareness of the one "living" is a consciousness.
But I clearly was not referring to the awareness of the one living. (I have no choice, however, than to use language to communicate, as we do, and to point to meaning.) That you insist on taking that proverbial finger pointing at the moon and repetitively and sadistically poking it in your own eye does not diminish that in any way.
The whole point of Nietzsche's piece was to suggest that even that, yes, even that might be just "conceptual truth", ingrained and solidified over the many ages in a "knowing" kind of experience but still part of that "sum of human relations which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory".
The full Nietzschean moon appears at the tip of his finger:
There are ages in which the rational man and the intuitive man stand side by side, the one in fear of intuition, the other with scorn for abstraction. The latter is just as irrational as the former is inartistic. They both desire to rule over life: the former, by knowing how to meet his principle needs by means of foresight, prudence, and regularity; the latter, by disregarding these needs and, as an "overjoyed hero," counting as real only that life which has been disguised as illusion and beauty. Whenever, as was perhaps the case in ancient Greece, the intuitive man handles his weapons more authoritatively and victoriously than his opponent, then, under favorable circumstances, a culture can take shape and art's mastery over life can be established. All the manifestations of such a life will be accompanied by this dissimulation, this disavowal of indigence, this glitter of metaphorical intuitions, and, in general, this immediacy of deception: neither the house, nor the gait, nor the clothes, nor the clay jugs give evidence of having been invented because of a pressing need. It seems as if they were all intended to express an exalted happiness, an Olympian cloudlessness, and, as it were, a playing with seriousness. The man who is guided by concepts and abstractions only succeeds by such means in warding off misfortune, without ever gaining any happiness for himself from these abstractions. And while he aims for the greatest possible freedom from pain, the intuitive man, standing in the midst of a culture, already reaps from his intuition a harvest of continually inflowing illumination, cheer, and redemption—in addition to obtaining a defense against misfortune. To be sure, he suffers more intensely, when he suffers; he even suffers more frequently, since he does not understand how to learn from experience and keeps falling over and over again into the same ditch. He is then just as irrational in sorrow as he is in happiness: he cries aloud and will not be consoled. How differently the stoical man who learns from experience and governs himself by concepts is affected by the same misfortunes! This man, who at other times seeks nothing but sincerity, truth, freedom from deception, and protection against ensnaring surprise attacks, now executes a masterpiece of deception: he executes his masterpiece of deception in misfortune, as the other type of man executes his in times of happiness. He wears no quivering and changeable human face, but, as it were, a mask with dignified, symmetrical features. He does not cry; he does not even alter his voice. When a real storm cloud thunders above him, he wraps himself in his cloak, and with slow steps he walks from beneath itNietzsche
Just asserting it as not being a metaphor, not abstract but "real" is exactly the problem of "truth" being addressed. Especially the modern conception of it, solid truths as some kind of material sense and experiencing.
Everything we SAY is metaphor -- a figure of SPEECH -- but this in itself does not preclude us from talking with and without meaning.

Nietzsche's exposition here, where he details above the intrinsic deception in human subjecitivity as a unified set of concepts or as intuition, clearly expresses a particular incongurence between truth and reality. You won't get your head around it if you insist on denying individual experience in favour of grasping at the truth of it as a crass, universal concept for all and sundry to participate in. And, (one can hope) as should be logically evident by now, even less will you do so with intuition.

Every truth reveals the deception. The reality of an abstraction is precisely that it is an abstraction.
Well, it could relate to anything personified (as literary device) or a even personal god or intelligent force. And I even expanded in the next post suggesting possible "magic things", "invisible hands" and basically changed to the generic causes to make it a bit easier. It's important to think about this when invoking "creation" or "created" in any context. How it relates to men, as not to leave it to magic: all the things we chose not to think about.
Chose not to THINK about? Things outside of one's experience? Things-in-themselves concepts of experience? What are THESE things exactly?
In that case I don't think you're reading On Truth in Extra-Moral Sense in the way I was reading it.
Surely you haven't just now realised there is a difference in each of our interpretations of it.
You appear to invoke the myth of yet another order of individuals here. It's puzzling why you think that would change anything to the dilemma.
Tricky things, those appearances. (:

The existential dilemma at hand is exactly that deception of self-concept -- individual as a unified, causal whole further reduced to the signified self -- robs man of the very life and capacity from which he himself derives meaning.
In my view you're taking philosophy at this stage not seriously enough, not existential enough. It always asks the deepest questions about human nature at our own peril. It's not fear for freedom of the individual (Sartre's anguish), it's actually more like its disappearance we oppose so much -while desiring the same nevertheless. Perfectly in line with nihilism by the way, a nihilism which had to come in this age and its philosophy. But we call it freedom.
It should also be obvious that your VIEW of me makes absolutely no difference to me.

What, in the "Extra Moral Sense", could you mean by this freedom of the individual that is both opposed and desired nevertheless, Diebert?
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Leyla Shen wrote:But I clearly was not referring to the awareness of the one living. I have no choice, however, than to use language to communicate, as we do, and to point to meaning.
"I still live and breathe" is a particular referential statement of self-awareness and self-observation. There's hardly anything more referring to self-awareness you could have said even when you'd be trying to exemplify the conceptualization of being some individual.

Actually the phrase "I live and breath" is indeed the result of answering a question and occurring in a particular context each and every time. Not my question perhaps but another, larger one hanging over your head, plain to see.
Nietzche wrote:He wears no quivering and changeable human face, but, as it were, a mask with dignified, symmetrical features. He does not cry; he does not even alter his voice. When a real storm cloud thunders above him, he wraps himself in his cloak, and with slow steps he walks from beneath it
Yes, one of the famous Nietzsche "mask" quotes. There's a long list of them. Obviously describing his own need for a mask.
Everything we SAY is metaphor -- a figure of SPEECH -- but this in itself does not preclude us from talking with and without meaning.
Yes but again, this is also about everything we sense, name and think we've "figured" out about our existence. You're skipping the foundations to the text and the age it was written in, that is, like Spinoza's degrees of knowledge. Speech and reason were seen as higher expressions. What is doubted about those would also include any other opinion, conception or sense contained by it. Nietzsche does not advocate a "sense" reality, perhaps some artistic rendering but that's as far as he goes for "true" and "real".
Nietzsche's exposition here, where he details above the intrinsic deception in human subjecitivity as a unified set of concepts or as intuition, clearly expresses a particular incongurence between truth and reality.
Ah, what is reality and how do we conceive of it. That's the question. To differentiate between a "truth" and a "reality" it would be like we're back again to some old division between mind and body.
Every truth reveals the deception. The reality of an abstraction is precisely that it is an abstraction.
That distinction doesn't matter to abstract beings where the world outside abstraction remains inaccessible. Apart for those who have started to believe in "things in themselves". Like this chair, this wind, this pain, this bowel movement is reality instead of that mathematical equation.
Things-in-themselves concepts of experience? What are THESE things exactly?
Probably what you call your life right now! Cherise it and makes sure any evil thought will not take away what you think you're having.
Surely you haven't just now realised there is a difference in each of our interpretations of it.
Your interest appears to be in philosophers and their struggle but you still appear to believe in things and experiences as some "real" substrate world. Which means you are suffering of this situation because your sharp mind sees so much bullshit and illusion but you cannot put the finger on it. And you start whacking around in frustration. Charming though!
The existential dilemma at hand is exactly that deception of self-concept -- individual as a unified, causal whole further reduced to the signified self -- robs man of the very life and capacity from which he himself derives meaning.
My own writing style has many flaws but this sentence I cannot decode at all. Meaning is derived from a particular way of living and having enough capacity? Perhaps I'd say "from which he himself derives himself, his self-concept". Then it would be clear that the very thing being created now leads to its own destruction. It's not as much the problem of the "lie" itself but the impossible perpetuation of it.
What, in the "Extra Moral Sense", could you mean by this freedom of the individual that is both opposed and desired nevertheless?
Nietzsche was at an early stage when writing the notes we are discussing 140 years later, trying to describe his "vision" of such man, later called übermensch. He mentions him here as "overjoyed hero, counting as real only that life which has been disguised as illusion and beauty". He did hope for a fully rational and intuitive blend, the art-scientist or scientific art. The key to understanding this struggle is to include Spinoza's definition of intuition, the knowledge of essentials, in other words genius: the proper knowledge of the eternal and infinite. In 1881, eight years after "Extra Moral" Nietzsche wrote ecstatic about finding out about Spinoza and called him his "precursor". In a later stage he called him again a metaphysical spider, lacking some "blood" I suppose.

For Nietzsche, like in the text of his "Stillest Hour", this all revolves around eternal recurrence, which is just one way to view the timeless present (as we cannot access it through timed descriptions anyway). He described this as the most meaningful place of places, the utter affirmation of everything. As opposed to nihilism: the celebration of meaninglessness.

Leaving Nietzsche behind here for a moment: the desire for freedom is the need to destroy what was created, our particular form of self-consciousness through the constructs of space and time, desiring more room to dwell which is necessarily also the path to its own undoing. Nihilism is essentially the attack on all fundamentalism. But without properly, proportionally aligned foundations, humans will cease to exist, the house will fall. This is the greatest irony of modern times. But I do affirm it nevertheless.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

What if language was a woman?
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

Leyla Shen wrote:What if language was a woman?
She definitely is! Only existing by the grace of men speaking out and she's remaining ambiguous in essence. People go to war for & over language.

She also is very tiring and often appears as too complex to understand for lesser men. Therefore she ends up preying on them.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Leyla Shen wrote:What if language was a woman?
She definitely is! Only existing by the grace of men speaking out and she's remaining ambiguous in essence. People go to war for & over language.

She also is very tiring and often appears as too complex to understand for lesser men. Therefore she ends up preying on them.
Yes, and the next thing you know, such lesser men, and women, are completely lost in her and her ways.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

The only thing you are saying is causes/conditions.
savvy?
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Of courze not. Isn't it obvious? But I think if you keep repeating the same mantra over and over times one billiin, there might just be a chance.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Of courze not. Isn't it obvious? But I think if you keep repeating the same mantra over and over times one billiin, there might just be a chance
you just said causes/conditions.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Causes, conditions.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

play it again Sam.
this time with feeling.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

When the members of this forum figure out plebian dialectics (let alone Nietzsche), maybe we'll really have something to talk about.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

as time goes by huh?
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Hm, nope. You'll have to try harder. In the mental void that constitutes this forum, the crass spaghetti joke is the beefiest laugh yet! Sad, eh?
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

There you go again.
causes/conditions.

what you said,
there's an in order to for the sake of

for the ultimate sake of Which?

tell me please,
what are you protecting?
Diebert van Rhijn

Leyla Shen wrote:When the members of this forum figure out plebian dialectics (let alone Nietzsche), maybe we'll really have something to talk about.
Ah yes, the dialectic as the speculation of the pleb. Good one! No matter how you actually meant it :)
TheImmanent

Post by TheImmanent »

Everything is perfectly still. As with a film, things appear to be moving.
ardy

Post by ardy »

TheImmanent wrote:Everything is perfectly still. As with a film, things appear to be moving.
I would suggest that everything is moving but appears perfectly still.
TheImmanent

Post by TheImmanent »

ardy wrote:
TheImmanent wrote:Everything is perfectly still. As with a film, things appear to be moving.
A definition doesn't move, though it is defined in relation to other definitions. To say that it has moved, is merely to refer to a subsequent definition, defined in relation to the previous one. But instead the appearance to the senses is that the definition has moved. The frames of a film illustrate this principle.
Leyla Shen

The “Spirit” of plebian speculation

Post by Leyla Shen »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Leyla Shen wrote:When the members of this forum figure out plebian dialectics (let alone Nietzsche), maybe we'll really have something to talk about.
Ah yes, the dialectic as the speculation of the pleb. Good one! No matter how you actually meant it :)
(:

[loud whistle]

Look, Diebert! Dog’s balls:
Abstract-Negation-Concrete/Immediate-Mediate-ConcreteHegel
The slave only conceives of power as the object of a recognition, the content of a representation, the stake in a competition, and therefore makes it depend, at the end of a fight, on a simple attribution of established values. If the master-slave relationship can easily take on the dialectical form, to the point where it has become an archetype or a school-exercise for every young Hegelian, it is because the portrait of the master that Hegel offers us is, from the start, a portrait which represents the slave, at least as he is in his dreams, as at best a successful slave. Underneath the Hegelian image of the master we always find the slaveDeleuze
Between Suicides
Diebert van Rhijn

So what you're trying to say, Leyla? Let me guess, you're trying to make everone guess!

No seriously, you need to explain, this is not a "concrete" bulletin board where you just stick notices on or throw bones at dogs. People need to explain themselves. Otherwise, why bother? For the jokes?
ardy

Post by ardy »

TheImmanent wrote:
ardy wrote:
A definition doesn't move, though it is defined in relation to other definitions. To say that it has moved, is merely to refer to a subsequent definition, defined in relation to the previous one. But instead the appearance to the senses is that the definition has moved. The frames of a film illustrate this principle.
Sorry I was playing with you and used a reference to a well known Zen statement by Hui Neng (I thought you would know it). Seeing 2 monks arguing whether the flag was moving or the wind was moving and Hui Neng said "neither it is your mind that is moving".

On the other hand we look for stability in a world that is constantly moving. It is one of the big things to overcome.
Leyla Shen

Bitch slap!

Post by Leyla Shen »

LOL! I need to do no such thing, Diebert! And stop hiding behind the great horde of deaf and dumb others like some Mary Magdalene!

Self-overcoming isn't about pleasing others -- a negation of self, no less! It's the overcoming of the desire to cling a unified, causal centre and, unlike Hegel, Nietzsche does overcome exactly that. "Self" both as signification, but also as the individual -- the actualised self that Hegel aims at with the term "concrete" -- as a multitude organised drives.
Between Suicides