Several new videos

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kevin Solway

Several new videos

Post by Kevin Solway »

Tomas

Re: Several new videos

Post by Tomas »

Good videos. Thank you.
Don't run to your death
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Yes, very well done so far, Kevin, the two I've watched for now.

One question that bugs me though. In the video "Zen Rebirth" you criticize people like Bon Yeon who are basically refer to a "we don't know mind" when it comes to the afterlife. So the "don't know" as escape clause. Got it.

But at the end of the video you say that questions on physical birth and death are "for the scientists". But isn't that also the same escape clause? Instead of "I don't know", you're just saying "they might know, at some point". You leave it open as something currently unknown but perhaps answerable in the future in a certain context. Sounds to me like a "don't know" escape clause of a different flavor.

I can see already that there might be a slight difference as the scientific body of knowledge is a positivist philosophy where reason and falsification are very powerful tools to actually find out something, even while that knowledge only functions in a very specific context ("parameters") and is normally not very useful to build any philosophy around. This in comparison with a religious "fact" which can be used within a broad context with hardly any parameters. A 'mysterious' truth that is taken on face value!

Still, it still looks like a contradiction when seeing that video.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Salon grade.
As a demonstration of femininity in a man it works well.

looks like tryin' to work up an act for the senior citizen's circuit.
Diebert van Rhijn

Yes those Zen dudes in that clip looked pretty numb skulled to me as well. Buddhism remains a late, decadent affair, especially the way it's being picked up in the West. As Youtube clips go these are generally good productions. Even if Kevin would be just reading a grocery list, they would still be better than 99% of what's on there in terms of lighting, clarity of voice, pacing, editing, comment activity and general temperance of mood. Gotta love that intro bell!
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Solway's never been a philosopher.
Merely social commentator.
Collates opinions
Diebert van Rhijn

Well, still better than a troll zen paster ;)
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

A philosopher needs a duality to work with.
A duality concerning the characteristics, properties, functions of Jack and Jill don't get it.
Bobo

Post by Bobo »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:But at the end of the video you say that questions on physical birth and death are "for the scientists".
It also brings the question, why let only physical rebirth to scientists, why not let all forms of rebirth to scientists?