Core Dysfunction and what it does

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Kunga

Re: Core Dysfunction and what it does

Post by Kunga »

This to me sounds logical...[although it is in a religious context] :

In Hinduism, equanimity is just another term that attempts to describe the nature of Brahman (not to be confused with Brahmin). In Vedanta the term Brahman points to Absolute Reality. In a true sense, Brahman cannot be described as any description or attribute introduces the idea of boundedness, hence it must be recognized that these terms are only meant to serve as pointers to the intellectual concept of Brahman. In Vedanta the term Brahman points to the Absolute, also referred to as the only Reality.

Vedanta states that Brahman alone is Real and the world is unreal. By the term 'real' what is being pointed to is that which is unchanging in all circumstances and independent of Spacetime or the Spacetime manifold. The physical world and mental world hence do not qualify as being "real". The idea of equanimity refers to being in pure awareness. Being in pure awareness requires dissolution of mind. The term mind is also known as Ego or Identity. When there is no distraction or attachment to thoughts, there is equanimity. As per Vedanta, 'Equanimity' is our true nature. When the sense of individual discrete identity is dissolved, one transcends the apparent duality and see themselves as one with everything.

In lack of better terms, 'Equanimity' can be used to refer to any of the following terms such as Beingness, Undisturbed, Unattached. It should be recognized that 'Equanimity' does not refer to a state of mind, rather it describes our real nature. Sense of attachment or doership is always individual and operates at the level of Individual Identity or Ego. Gita says by renouncing our limited identity, we can reveal our true nature, which is 'Brahman'. When we are aware of our true nature, the individual ego does not operate anymore, hence the outcome is equanimity. When one is fully aware, one does not attach to the world, rather sees the world. The world is apparent and unfolds in front of our awareness, but due to lack of clarity, we identify with the body and the mind and become finite and limited. The only unchanging reality is pure awareness. It refers to being witness and not having a sense of individual doer which creates attachment and makes one behave otherwise.

[Wikipedia/Equanimity]
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Also...Buddha recognized that there are gods...but they are also subject to karma...they became gods through their good karma, have extraordinary long lives [that's why they think they're omnipresent/omnipotent, but after their good karma is used up they fall into the lower realms. According to the Pali [Theravada] texts, Indra [a god], requested Buddha to teach after he became Enlightend....as Buddha went into the forest thinking no one would understand....he had to be coaxed by a few gods to teach !
But Buddha rejected the idea of a "creator God" & Atman [the soul].
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Leyla Shen wrote:Dumbo the Preacher wrote:
It is precisely because the truth of all propositions are exactly identical that they are beliefs, since there is no way to establish their truth using any other kind of truth. They are all each others' standards of truth, meaning and falsity, which is why the standard of truth itself cannot be proven but must be believed.
Kevin Solway:
It is said that the purpose of the Christian sermon is to convince the Christian that he does in fact believe in Christianity. That is, to give the Christian faith that he has faith; to remind the Christian what he believes in. And why does the Christian need to be reminded? - because it is so easy to forget you believe something, especially when what you believe in isn't true.
The only reason someone needs to believe in truth is because he is inclined toward delusion.
jupiviv wrote:Since it's descended to the level of quote slinging:
Kevin Solway wrote:I put it to you that faith and belief are the highest qualities of mankind - but only when it is faith in truth and belief in truth - not faith and belief in illusions.
jupiviv wrote:
Leyla Shen wrote:Oh, ok -- let's do that.

I'll quote myself:
The only reason someone needs to believe in truth is because he is inclined toward delusion.
The Power of Christ compels thee, wench, to besmirch no more with thy blasphemies this hallowed cyberspace. GET BACK BEHIND ME I SAY! GET BACK BEHIIIIND MEEEE....AAAARGGGGHHHHH!!!!111!1

<has divinely inspired seizure>
Wishfully stubborn, aren’t you? Sit back, take a deep breath... relax for a second and think. You can’t exorcise a demon if you can’t identify it.

BOO!
Between Suicides
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I liked the Hinduism/Brahman quote Kunga, I know it's a religious context, but a very good description.

There are literally only two paths, one or the other, clinging or not clinging. I would say say knowing or not-knowing, but that's sure to confuse some who still think they know a great deal regarding ultimate reality, luckily that fits under clinging.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

In this video, Alex is explained within the first minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXY2Cmasohc

Now I'll return to the video.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Homo sapiens is all about camouflage and denial. His very means of existence over the course of his development!

In some individuals you see this in exaggerated form but intelligence is not the factor. It's more about the generic ability to deceive and cover ones own suffering. What the surprise is for some is that even intellectual and rational sounding discourse can be used for the same purpose. And that while its main purpose was to examine and expose -- now perverted. But all it proves is that "anything goes" really.