What is the path to the end of suffering?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
SeekerOfWisdom

What is the path to the end of suffering?

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

What should one do to lead to the end of suffering which is so prevalent in life?

I often think life is incredible and beautiful but can not deny the suffering that still arises.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: What is the path to the end of suffering?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Going beyond that life. For some that indeed would mean suicide.

Or stop thinking, the milder version. All that incredible and beautiful suffering!
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

“At the center of your being
you have the answer;
you know who you are
and you know what you want.”

― Lao Tzu
Diebert van Rhijn

But that's not Lao Tzu at all. Then again how would you know, zennish faker with your typical Oprah Winfrey brand of philosophizing!

Just keep quoting Internet sludge while pretending to know something. Nobody cares. Fuck off for a while please.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

But that's not The Way at all.
Then again how would you know ?
Diebert faker with your typical Diebert brand of philosophizing!
Pretending to know something.
Nobody
Fucks off
Diebert van Rhijn

Even your insults are weak and slurred. You try to get comfortable in your haze and I'm going to take away yet another venue for your act.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Ah, me thinks I hear an ego squeaking, turning the reflection of its bile-tinted light upon the world.

That quote probably is something someone made up somewhere along the line in time with a false attribution. I dropped scholarly pretense long ago, Librarian.

Though there is a place in the world for bean counters such as yourself. Support staff. Keeps it all sorted out.

And you, little ego, with your fuck off insult. Another internet brave boy likely to shit his pants when faced with the real deal.

Makes you sound like a child, you know. Lol.

But then the compassion emerges. You must have trouble in your life. No doubt, lonely. Your lashing out is a reflection of that, you know. Frustration defines a key element of samsara, rearing its filthy head just at that time of life when identity crises is setting in. The time when men buy the red convertible to compensate, but there is no money for that sort of thing, is there, and deep down where you know its true, that bites deep into the unrequited intellectual posing.

Ah well, standard advice. Worry about yourself, don't concern yourself with my failings, little ego.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Just my luck, you're probably one of those vicious little rat terriers who knows how to fuck up someone's computer.

LOL ... ahem ... lol
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Transcendence of the delusion of the ego is the one and only way to end suffering (in the Buddhist sense). To do that you have to examine the nature of self and other and blah blah etc etc.
Diebert van Rhijn

Cahoot wrote: That quote probably is something someone made up somewhere along the line in time with a false attribution. I dropped scholarly pretense long ago, Librarian.

I actually know where it came from, you don't. But the quote itself almost completely counters Taoism: it stinks like hell five miles away.

Not that you would care. You dropped intelligence and discernment way too early in your life. And now you're just waste: a block for others to jump over!

Perhaps your ego cannot even take a little battering. So the least one can do is to prevent others to listen to your self-congratulating drivel.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:But that's not Lao Tzu at all. Then again how would you know, zennish faker with your typical Oprah Winfrey brand of philosophizing!

Just keep quoting Internet sludge while pretending to know something. Nobody cares. Fuck off for a while please.
Okay.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Even your insults are weak and slurred. You try to get comfortable in your haze and I'm going to take away yet another venue for your act.
Your sense of humour is weak.
Enlighten up !!
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

That was surprising. I expected a bunch of insults as I was posting a thread, I just.thought they would be aimed at me. I'm going to ask a last time, is it really idiotic for me to suggest the competitive crap gets cut and replaced with actual discussion?

I know it can be good to make people realize some things, but surely this isn't what you had in mind, Dan? Thanks for giving a response btw, why did you stop? What is the path to do that? Meditation? Non attachment? Have you overcome it from your view

Also Cahoot, despite it being not from Lao, I agree with the quote, tho to me, deeply, it is seeming that it can't be completely rid of. That is why I ask, I could just be plain wrong and haven't done this, what is your experience/view of this.

And for anyone, do you think it absolutely requires death as Diebert suggested? Or the end of existence as is?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I'm going to ask a last time, is it really idiotic for me to suggest the competitive crap gets cut and replaced with actual discussion?
preference/aversion/prejudice suffers.
your persistent complaint is that stuff.
emotionally sick.
hand it over.
let it go.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

So you think there is something wrong in asking not to have a conversation that consists of 'your fucking wrong' over and over without actually talking? You can call it a complaint if you like, but this is about communication, when there is a complete lack of communication, I'm going to point it out.

It really 'dazzles me' to see more of the psychological guessing I'm referring to if it has been said to you also, and to every other member of the forum. Based on what you say you would be falling under the exact same standard.

I'm keen to actually address anything now tho, so I'll ask, do you believe it possible to rid the mind of preference/aversion? I do not claim to have done this and am not saying you were wrong by pointing out that it occurs in my mind.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I'm keen to actually address anything now tho, so I'll ask, do you believe it possible to rid the mind of preference/aversion? I do not claim to have done this and am not saying you were wrong by pointing out that it occurs in my mind.
Do you 'get' it?
that's all.
It ain't personal.

It's a condition.

This ceases, that ceases,
this arises, that arises.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Yes I get it, but that doesn't necessarily show that it is possible.

Dualistic thinking causing suffering as Lao Tzu pointed out with good/bad.

Would you then attribute whatever remaining suffering that arises to a lack of awareness/non-attachment? Do you promote the possibility of 'comfortable with the lowest' as ideal?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Yes I get it
That's it!

Just that.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

So be there and only there with suffering then? Acceptance of being-now leading to undifferentiated being.

I don't know why you ignore some things only to seemingly agree later, I asked you if you promoted acceptance as a solution once before, is this not the same?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

I don't know why you ignore some things only to seemingly agree later, I asked you if you promoted acceptance as a solution once before, is this not the same?
acceptance is another condition.

The access is to 'get' it.

I mean our preferences break down all the time.
sooky la la
Diebert van Rhijn

Kunga wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:Even your insults are weak and slurred. You try to get comfortable in your haze and I'm going to take away yet another venue for your act.
Your sense of humour is weak.
Enlighten up !!
But I'm not kidding, you know. Jokes as defense, nobody fucking cares about that anymore. Get serious!
Diebert van Rhijn

SeekerOfWisdom wrote: I agree with the quote, tho to me, deeply, it is seeming that it can't be completely rid of.
How can you agree that you have a being, a center, something to really "know" about you and what it is you exactly want? If anything you have been arguing against all that too often. Unless we re-translate the made-up quote as: "at the center of nothing, you have nothing, you know you are nothing and want nothing". Not very helpful but at least closer to anything Tzu might have said.
And for anyone, do you think it absolutely requires death as Diebert suggested? Or the end of existence as is?
When someone is deeply merged and lodged in his sense of existence and world, the only "liberation" -- if so desired -- is the sudden death of that very existence. It seems to me for most people this is the case. Although those people do not desire liberation as much either. It would counter the instinct of self-preservation. Only seriously ill people would have a reason to will non-existence in that case.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

I wouldn't disagree about what you said on the choice of words of whoever said that quote, but the general idea of spiritual discovery through personal experience is what I agree with.

So then are you saying that one should aim at genuine liberation through removing the deep emergence and belief in a false sense of self and delusional view of the world? (namely the false assumption of inherent existence)

Similar to what Dan said "Transcendence of the delusion of the ego", in your view it is a matter of liberation that can occur while living rather than drastically changing existence as is? Could one live each day without any suffering?
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Dennis Mahar wrote: acceptance is another condition.

The access is to 'get' it.
Getting it and practicing it are different, could you then describe the practice/path of overcoming preference/aversion? Or is it a 'just stop it' matter?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

it's a great tragedy for me that inherent existence can't be found.
I so much wanted something solid to grasp on to.
Some meaning to clutch to my breast that has permanence.
absence of meaning is a hard fucker to take on.

Camus thought the situation is absurd.
Sartre thought nauseous.

both those notions are too meaningful, emotional.

getting past the limits of language,
it's empty and meaningless that it's empty and meaningless.