Discussion on Suffering and Enlightenment

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
mwolf

Re: Discussion on Suffering and Enlightenment

Post by mwolf »

SeekerOfWisdom wrote:I'm not mocking you at all and you should feel no judgement. Your assumption thus came from your perspective. I was quoting.

You said 'I'm always right and everyone else is wrong'.

I think what you mean by 'universal perspective' is "my perspective". Am I wrong?

You may be aware and non-attached and hence able to 'see things clearly', is that what you are referring to?

It's perfectly okay to admit that I know what your plans were. They were quite easy to discern. I would much rather discuss how I realized your action than to deal with denial. Aren't you curious how I knew what you were planning?

This really bothers me. I am no different than most people, I have just disciplined my mind and free myself from cultural distractions and adverse influence - meaning I don't watch television or movies and don't listen to music and certainly do not subject myself to any advertising whatsoever. I am a referant in that regard, an example of what humans are supposed to be like without our culture. Those who seek enlightenment should know this, should recognize this.

I seek further enlightenment. I have listened to the Dalai Lama speak, and read some of the generalities of the teachings of Buddha. I respect Buddhist teachings for they are a known path to enlightenment, and my research indicates that buddhism does teach and offer the chance to achieve true enlightenment.

It seems to me then that if someone comes along claiming to have achieved enlightenment that the first reaction of anyone seeking enlightenment would be curiousity. Why then am I met with insult, with childish games? Simple: those who react thusly do not seek enlightenment.

My course of action then must be to ignore those who operate from their ego.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

You are correct I don't seek enlightenment at all.

From the name, I seek wisdom, which involves little to no seeking, you can't be enlightened while seeking for enlightenment can you?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

seeker,
wolf has told his story.
he was bullied ( victim)
broke thru' that by enrolling in a curriculum of education
now he wants to rescue humanity.

he is in the grip of 'beginner's mind'

handle with care.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

mwolf wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:Knock knock
Who's there?
Solipsist.
Solipsist who?
WTF?

Clever and veiled insult is insult nonetheless. And insult comes from emotion, which comes from ego. And ego prevents attainment of enlightenment.
Get over yourself, will you? My joke, which was funny as hell, frankly, was aimed at and told for Seeker, because his perspective smacks of solipsism. And you need to offer some substance to your claims of knowledge and enlightenment before you can be taken seriously. So far you've not offered anything like that. We await your efforts.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Nice provisional labeling. If there is a kind that goes something like "There is only experience of the mind" and doesn't exclude the experiences of everyone else then that's fine. Wouldn't that make you a solipsist then too? I'm not sure if there is anything we disagree on, I'd like to hear it if there is.. except maybe that the joke was funny, although I did laugh at the naked universe one.

Btw I'm starting to doubt if mwolf is at all genuine, he could be a troll. If not, then at least he came to the right place.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"In point of fact, the way I personally achieved my enlightenment had a great deal to do with animism. I was actually seeking to become a wolf, when I happened to become human instead."

What do you guys think?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

inherent existence has never been found

may as well have a story about yourself as a hero.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

According to Dan's forum guidelines, that comment was directed at me? Although I'm not sure if it is or how it would be related.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

just agreeing with Neitzsche that we are literary philosophers,
may as well have a story of ourself as a hero,
ego isn't destroyed it just wakes up to what is going on
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Awareness of the true nature of ego which includes no lasting Self, the actions of which are not under control, hence no person there. "Years ago thou wast just a small babe". All of this here is "not me!". Do we label no person as fitting under a category of thought? Even 'enlightenment' is silly. Why would you agree with Nietzsche, and no one has yet explained to me what a 'philosopher' is or what one does.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

There are 2 truths,
ultimately there is no 'I'.
existentially there is.
the existential 'I' is the possibility for enlightenment because it lacks inherent existence.
ultimately there is no enlightenment.

the 'I' is neither of it's own essence nor can it be denied.
enlightenment is neither of its own essence nor can it be denied.

philosophy is the love of wisdom,
sorting the wheat from the chaff.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

You fell in love with wisdom? Probably because it appears more right than foolishness. It is also silly to call someone wise, the closest thing is never being wrong through not asserting. The feeling of meaning is only a feeling. Machinery actions are aimed at resonance, everything is experience based, yet you for some reason deny certain parts of experience, sometimes ignoring them because they don't exist ultimately, such as good and bad, which is also ultimately bullshit as it is clear for any person what they avoid and are fine with. Why avoid 'learning' about the practical side of experience if you know you are aimed at resonance?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

The feeling of meaning is only a feeling.
In each moment there is an affective quality.
to have a preference/aversion is an affective partiality.

gather up all these moments in a progression over time and you will see emotivity running amok.

its entirely possible to see thru' all that shit and discover pure thought.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Which is really what I was talking about in terms of being aware enough to attune those understandings. What I meant was, if you know you don't want to put your hand in the fire, then it should not be hidden that we aim toward resonance, so when you said things like "what are you aspiring to?", the answer should be clear, the only real answer for machinery is "whatever feels right at the time". So what do you think about Karma?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

only pure intellectual comprehension is effective.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

Effective to do what? Achieve something?

There is no such thing as 'pure intellectual comprehension', there are only experiences of the mind which are uncontrolled and awareness of those experiences. That awareness and non-attachment is also uncontrolled. Feelings.

There may be the feeling that you were undergoing pure intellectual comprehension, is that what you mean?
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

my mind is geared with my most immediate affective movement, with my affectivity limited to the very moment, with my 'quality'
of the moment.

a particular moment.

I can gather up the succession of particular moments in a progression over time.

I can 'see' a general condition arising in each particular moment.

an intellectual comprehension from a particular to a general.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

"I can gather up the succession of particular moments in a progression over time.

I can 'see' a general condition arising in each particular moment."

Then you should be aware of the succession of particular moments that leads to an understanding of karma and visualization laying down a general path for future experience.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Then you should be aware of the succession of particular moments that leads to an understanding of karma and visualization laying down a general path for future experience.
more grist for the mill.
mwolf

Post by mwolf »

Dennis Mahar wrote:seeker,
wolf has told his story.
he was bullied ( victim)
broke thru' that by enrolling in a curriculum of education
now he wants to rescue humanity.

he is in the grip of 'beginner's mind'

handle with care.

With what little I have stated on here, you are in no position to judge me or my situation.

This forum is for losers too. One more bullshit response like this and I'm gone.
mwolf

Post by mwolf »

Dan Rowden wrote:
Get over yourself, will you? My joke, which was funny as hell, frankly, was aimed at and told for Seeker, because his perspective smacks of solipsism. And you need to offer some substance to your claims of knowledge and enlightenment before you can be taken seriously. So far you've not offered anything like that. We await your efforts.

None of you regulars has demonstrated the capability of understanding the subject of my enlightenment. This forum is poorly named. It should be called "Just another public harassment site, but for people who claim to be intelligent."

My threshold has been met. You lot can piss off.
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Yikes.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

mwolf wrote:
Dan Rowden wrote:

None of you regulars has demonstrated the capability of understanding the subject of my enlightenment. This forum is poorly named. It should be called "Just another public harassment site, but for people who claim to be intelligent."

My threshold has been met. You lot can piss off.
Well, that's a shame. Then again, it's probably just code for: I can't address the matters because I'm basically making it all up to entertain myself. I'm sure you can understand such an interpretation of your response to me is reasonable. It's pretty much what I expected.