Animism

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Cahoot

Animism

Post by Cahoot »

Seems more suited for these modern times than psychological analysis of cause and effect, don't you think?

One aspect, it fosters less arrogance.
Cahoot

Re: Animism

Post by Cahoot »

Animism is also an aspect of the Bon influence upon Dzogchen, as is the light spectrum.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

And that gave us Tibetan Buddhism. Enough said, really.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Yes, Tibetans have certainly been crushed in their homeland, as have American and Australian aboriginals, others who have put their own flavor upon an animistic view of life.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Cahoot wrote:Seems more suited for these modern times than psychological analysis of cause and effect, don't you think?

But possibly more fear. And isn't animism an externalization of the fact of perceiving identity (genus)? The question of how we came to it can be explained in various ways. But to imagine something residing somewhere in particular giving it nature might lead to respect but also to many wrong conclusions about how things actually work and so many horrible practices could grow out of it.

But if you want to propose it as counter-balance toward "consciousism", as if we by choice determine the nature of all beings, I could see your point.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Cahoot wrote:Seems more suited for these modern times than psychological analysis of cause and effect, don't you think?

But possibly more fear. And isn't animism an externalization of the fact of perceiving identity (genus)? The question of how we came to it can be explained in various ways. But to imagine something residing somewhere in particular giving it nature might lead to respect but also to many wrong conclusions about how things actually work and so many horrible practices could grow out of it.

But if you want to propose it as counter-balance toward "consciousism", as if we by choice determine the nature of all beings, I could see your point.
Reminds me of a discussion between Carlos and Don Juan in which Carlos provides a meteorological explanation of wind, to which Don Juan replies that such an explanation is worthless for a hunter. Journey to Ixtlan, I think. Hunting ... seeking.

Horrible practices ... I have an early childhood memory of a picture, the cover of an evangelical pamphlet of a crying African child whose face was covered with ritualistic scarring.

Seeing more Western men with their earlobes elongated into cylinder-holding circles these days. Duck lips and giraffe necks may be on the horizon.
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

Dan dislikes Tibetan Buddhism, for the record.

Personally, I do feel a great deal of attraction to shamanistic practices. They unlock realms of the subconscious and unconscious mind that are rarely accessed, and which can be very valuable in spiritual development - provided we aren't fooled by the novelty of it all and get caught up in various ego-traps. And it goes without saying that we have to keep our brains within handy access reach - no nose bones or trepanation needed.
I live in a tub.
SeekerOfWisdom

Post by SeekerOfWisdom »

At least animism is much closer to reality than the idea of life coming into being through a series of unplanned reactions in which particles bounced into each other eventually forming a scenario in which they typed this sentence :b Both are wrong.
ROB

Post by ROB »

Exploited facts...
Jamesh'
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

I want to better bond with my power animal, the cuttlefish.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

brad walker wrote:I want to better bond with my power animal, the cuttlefish.
Take a swim. Cuttlefish don't walk, Walker.

Q: How did I get my name, Grandfather?
A: When you were born I stepped outside the Teepee and looked to the sky. Power brought an eagle to my vision, and thus your name. Soaring Eagle.
Q: Ah. So this is why they call you Two Dogs Fucking?
A:)
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

A: Well, yes. Maybe it's because Grandad was called Bear Who Shits In The Woods that he named me that. His grandfather looked to the earth to name what is, as did he. The ancestors of our tribe have all looked to the earth. But when you were born, I looked to the sky.

Q: Why?
Last edited by Cahoot on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

A: To remind you to be free.
mwolf

Post by mwolf »

In point of fact, the way I personally achieved my enlightenment had a great deal to do with animism. I was actually seeking to become a wolf, when I happened to become human instead.

Assume whatever you will dear readers, but if any are curious to know how this makes perfect sense, you have but to ask. Just remember that I am me, not you and that you are you, not me. We are not the same. We are different. What works for me may not work for you and what doesn't work for you in this case worked for me quite well.

I shouldn't have to state that.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

With beauty before me may I walk
With beauty behind me may I walk
With beauty above me may I walk
With beauty all around me may I walk

http://www.native-american-market.com/n ... y_way.html

Logical according to the inevitability of perfection.