Wise Quotes Collection

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Dennis Mahar

Re: Wise Quotes Collection

Post by Dennis Mahar »

wisdom isn't 'the talk about wisdom'.

it shows up in difficult circumstances.
it occurs.
an event.
wham bam!

the reasons and justifiers are talked about later in a story.

I've seen it show up in the mouths of 5 and 6 year old kids.
nailed it.
Last edited by Dennis Mahar on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

movingalways wrote:Because sensitivity to suffering ensures that the wise causal spirit will create a reality that is dedicated to ending suffering.
Perhaps. Since suffering is an individualized interpretation of causality, the dedication to end suffering would necessarily be preceded by an attitude that strives to not perpetuate suffering. For instance, one who slaps a sufferer across the face with the label of “drunken whore,” may be dedicated to ending suffering, or may be striving to not perpetuate suffering, though in such an instance the causal relationship between intent and action may defy any logical perception of kindness and make the actor simply a thug, or psychopath … which is why, when the limitations of individuality are transcended, insensitivity can non-judgmentally be seen as merely an aspect in the more encompassing play of totality.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Cahoot wrote:Such superficial interpretations are the result of a habituation to conflict. Conflict can be a tool leading to understanding and liberation from the inner violence of conflict, but a persistent attachment to conflict mires one in a swamp of ego that often leads to an arrogance of ego, as is so often aptly demonstrated.
So it's true, you didn't read an actual book of the man! It's all about the fundamental process of learning for him as he explains again and again and for learning you have to be first ready, always ready. The ego hates being corrected or challenged. The best defense is to have swamp (of inexact mutterings, not "ego", what the hell is a "swamp of ego"?) while not addressing any content whatsoever.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Diebert van Rhijn

"It was the terrible day of the wisecrack, so there didn't have to be any truth..." - Dorothy Parker
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

"For I do not expect to find Him in either in a church or at the end of a microscope. I believe that somewhere in the spirit of man, far off from prayers and passions, there is a place as cool and still as air. That is where God is, in silence and in peace. He neither loves nor hates, for such things change and die; He neither hopes, nor answers. He is reconciled, He is at peace with everything; and where He is, is heaven." ~ Robert Nathan, "Winter in April"
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Bullshit pam.
the mind does everything.
get your high priestess charade thang out of the machinery.
when you're praying to godot you're talkin' to yourself.
geddit?
nothin' to get.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Every mornin',
The red, red robin comes bob, bob, bobbin along (where you're at)
wake up you sleepy head
get up, get outta bed.
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis grow up! You are past and future too; a complete being,
a full being can only fit in the now-
if he's very very tiny and prefers to speak in children rhymes.

The "last man" of the prophecy. And so epicurean clever too!
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Diebert, from the enlightenment thread: For Nietzsche, like in the text of his "Stillest Hour", this all revolves around eternal recurrence, which is just one way to view the timeless present (as we cannot access it through timed descriptions anyway). He described this as the most meaningful place of places, the utter affirmation of everything. As opposed to nihilism: the celebration of meaninglessness.
Well said. From the Nathan quote above, parentheses mine:

... "there is a place as cool and still as air.""...He (Man's Insight) is reconciled, He is at peace with everything; and where He is, is heaven" ...
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

very, very, tiny is OK.
strip it all back.
sense of wonder.
there's nothing to it.
it breaks down to the eyes of a child.

what are you protecting?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Could it be that being in this still wordless timeless place of utter affirmation of everything is sometimes just too much to bear? Perhaps every philosopher who went mad or was called crazy was simply spilling out what could not be contained within but no one understood, so hard it is to find is a kindred spirit in the full sense of the suggested meaning of spirit. Maybe if Nietzsche had such a friend his life would have been very different.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

That's your projection.
Withdraw it.

everything you write has a tinge of pathos attached.
glamourising suffering as a commitment.
a power play.
self-cherishing.

what if, what if, what if, sigh.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

That's because you don't see the totality of how one gets to the point of seeing everything as being reconciled unto eternity. You're stuck in wonder so you see the inclusion of suffering as a sigh. Sorry to say, the sigh you see is your own.
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

what if.
sigh.
Leyla Shen

Truth and deception

Post by Leyla Shen »

Where you see blindness, he sees the bliss of our father who art in heaven, o wise and benevolent one.
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

Nah,
this is how the mind works:

causes/conditions.
you don't talk about anything else.
that.

the mind is caused for that.
savvy?
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

Dennis, enough of our serious, time for some silly, pour us a cuppa, one of my faves, hope you enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9WiuJPnNA
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

that's a bit advanced for me.
give us a break.
wishing well.
It's the 4th of may there ain't it?

May the fourth be with you.
Leyla Shen

Post by Leyla Shen »

Yes, it has one too many dimensions, still...
Between Suicides
Dennis Mahar

Post by Dennis Mahar »

it's an actor and a few puppets workin' to a camera?
Dependent origination?
Diebert van Rhijn

Dennis Mahar wrote:very, very, tiny is OK.
strip it all back.
sense of wonder.
there's nothing to it.
it breaks down to the eyes of a child.

what are you protecting?
I'm just questioning your need to diminish and belittle, your self!
Every child can fall into the sense of presence.
Big deal.

The womb gives eternally birth, why resisting it? The world is overpopulated with innocent embryos already.
Pam Seeback

Post by Pam Seeback »

“I don’t think I shall ever find peace till I make up my mind about things,’ he said gravely. He hesitated. ‘It’s very difficult to put into words. The moment you try you feel embarrassed. You say to yourself: “Who am I that I should bother myself about this, that, and the other? Perhaps it’s only because I’m a conceited prig. Wouldn’t it be better to follow the beaten track and let what’s coming to you come?” And then you think of a fellow who an hour before was full of life and fun, and he’s lying dead; it’s all so cruel and meaningless. It’s hard not to ask yourself what life is all about and whether there’s any sense to it or whether it’s all a tragic blunder of blind fate.”

― W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

“… I realize that the only thing you have to offer to another human being, ever, is your own state of being.”
- Ram Dass

Similarly, human beings only have their state of being to offer to you, which leads to all kinds of activity.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

“Noise does not disturb you; you disturb the noise.”
- Ajahn Chah, quoted by Ajahn Brahm in Simply This Moment!

The reason being, “you” who is disturbed is the arbitrary identity asserting its attempt at control by being disturbed, defending itself through annoyance. Letting go of "you", lets go of annoyance at the noise and lets go of the identity attempting control. Subsequent action that results from surrendering attempts at orchestration then follows from truth and rationality, and discussion forums become less of a support mechanism for strutting ego.

Simply keep in mind that an interpretation defined as “noise,” or even a pedestrian sound, can also be interpreted as a temporal intercession in the continuity of awareness, relative to and originating from the absolute, regardless of the identified mundane source.

"I’m letting go to see if 'you' hold on to me."
- Kings of Convenience