How can I be completely desire-free?

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: How can I be completely desire-free?

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

oxytocinNA wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn - Desire is like a hole being dug and then the water comes rushing in to fill it up

This is quite a negative take on desire you have. "A hole being dug"
It was not meant to paint a dark and muddy picture, although desire gravitates to setting its sights not very high. The idea was to point out that there's a lot of preparation before a desire rises. It's very hard to become aware of all the stuff preceding desire. This is important when talking about lack of desire. It's not that there are really desires living in a heart which are maintained there or not: it's as neutral as water flowing where it can go. But it needs places to collect. Just avoidance will only temporary change things but becomes a hole by itself.
There are positive desires as well as negative. The author of this thread wants the freedom, which requires the means, to live as he chooses. Every single choice one makes is based on desire. The only question is the nature of the desire. The only way to kill a desire is if the desire is truly of no value - upon weighing factors. Circumstances can affect this. A prior desire can cease to have value.
Assuming a Buddhist inclination (the whole idea of "desire-free" is that) one can only assume that desire is seen as the immediate cause of all suffering since here whatever is wanted is based on attachment to a false sense of self. This is beyond morality unless one assumes ignorance is bad and wisdom is good.
Eric Orwoll

Post by Eric Orwoll »

NobodyListens2Genius wrote:And I can create realities within myself I did it this morning.
It may be that you're using the word create differently then I would. Instead of creating I would say we witness the unfolding of being into perception. To create is to cause, to cause is to change, to change requires time. It seems that you grasp this, maybe your vocabulary is being selected for its stylistic effect?
brad walker

Post by brad walker »

Bruce Lee wrote:Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Why must desire aim low?

More Bruce Lee:
There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level.
Don't fear failure. — Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:It's very hard to become aware of all the stuff preceding desire. This is important when talking about lack of desire.
Yes, the crux of the matter at hand.

After any sort of physical communications have been manifested .. lying in bed and awaiting the 'golden slumber' to arrive, I somewhat turn my head and gaze (get a glimpse) at my still-pretty girlfriend of 45 years.

Lack of desire, indeed!

PS - Thanks a lot, Diebert :-(
Don't run to your death
NobodyListens2Genius

Post by NobodyListens2Genius »

Eric

It is me creating it, as much as its me writing this. The differences being that I have no control over what I create or what I write.

Language is much too restricted to properly discuss this kind of thing, I think.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

Are you serious? Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua.....
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

You're intentions are? You're a viral corpse from the past....Need a refuge? Find Satan and tell him your number is " 666" on the doted line.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Rip off your balls.
unbound
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Dan Rowden wrote:While there is ego there is desire. There's no getting around that. Transcending the ego is the only way for desire to cease; desire and ego are two sides of the same page of paper. One can only work steadfastly on eliminating delusion from one's consciousness and that's a journey that involves some acceptance of the fact that you're still on it.
Even so, energy continues to shape action.

Energy floods through the body in the natural ways. Accepting this as a premise, then ego that claims identity interprets this energy back to the ego. Thus, names for emotions.

No ego to habitually identify and label energy in the body does not stop the energy. The energy still flows. What was anger is now just energy. What was fear, or love, is now just energy.

In this alignment of body to energy unobstructed by ego identification, the body still continues to move. The body can never move in an unnatural way, however it can move in a way that is a natural reaction to obstructed or damaged pathways. This may cause movement to appear unnatural to those who are not obstructed in the same way, however the movement is natural. It is naturally shaped by conditions.

Those who are not obstructed in the same way, or those predominately shaped by other condtions, are in fact often obstructed in a different, but more prevailing way. That way is the nature of the obstructions introduced by ego. These obstructions do affect existence at the most basic area of life, that borderline that separates the body from death, the border we approach when the body is injured, or stressed, or has gone too long without nourishment. The affectation is upon the intent to move, how and why the body moves to survive, how the entire organism is shaped into movement.

In the animal realm, the impetus for motion, without ego, is for survival of the body. A human being in the animal realm extends this survival of the body to survival of the ego, and if forced to choose may choose ego over body.

In the human realm unobscured by ego, the impetus for motion is not relegated by the ego. The impetus is relegated by life forces accessible by a human.