Introduction and Goal advice.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Sid

Introduction and Goal advice.

Post by Sid »

Hello forum

My name is Sid.
Last edited by Sid on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Rowden

Re: Introduction and Goal advice.

Post by Dan Rowden »

Hey Sid, welcome along.

Let me ask this: what is your goal in these enquires and efforts? Happiness? Truth?
Sid

Post by Sid »

I seek enlightenment.
Last edited by Sid on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Sid wrote:I seek personal growth and experience. I seek enlightenment. I don't believe myself ready for truth.
Then find yourself, nobody can offer you that. No that wasn't a contradiction.
unbound
Sid

Post by Sid »

You're right. No one can offer me that. However. A direction of travel can be found from the experience of others.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Mostly other peoples foot prints muddy they dirt, walk alone and you can stick to the relevant data, rather than other peoples insanity, like mine for example.
unbound
Russell Parr

Post by Russell Parr »

Sid wrote:I seek personal growth and experience. I seek enlightenment. I don't believe myself ready for truth.
Patience is indeed important. But you should consider that truth and enlightenment are really one and the same. You may risk having your mind actively block out truth just because you believe you aren't ready for it.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Interesting advice from both blue rap and mental vagrant. I appreciate all feedback honestly. I understand what you both are saying and i believe to some degree you both are right. Truth be told maybe i dont understand fully grasp the means to my end, but i do know some truth's I've found for myself. One being very little was accomplished by one voice or one man. So while I agree i should be very cautious of others insanity and i should travel my own way. i fully welcome all insanity. It makes me feel.. a little less insane ;-)

off subject but a thought i would also like feedback on..

I've found most people are unhappy with many things.. but one subject appears often.. True Freedom.. What do you think that means?
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Sid wrote: True Freedom.. What do you think that means?
The ability to be honest. Which can only happen if one knows oneself and ones situation, otherwise how could one tell?

Dishonest are not just the ones incapable of telling truth but also the "conscious liars".
The conscious liar can be truthful in one area but only with the goal to blind himself and others in another area: truth as disguise.

True freedom is like responsibility: the ability to respond truthfully as a whole. Which means any response will reflect as closely as possible ones actual nature.
Liberty Sea

Post by Liberty Sea »

Hi, Sid.
Understand yourself. Then you will find truth. Then you may want to perfect yourself by embodying the truth, drenching your entire being with Truth. That is Enlightenment.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Howdy Sid,

I notice that attention on the transition point from stillness to motion reveals the cause (intent) of the motion. Understanding the intent of causal activity (why you do what you do) doesn't alter the mechanics of causal activity (how perceived randomness of complex activities interweave consistent with intent), but understanding does affect intent.

For example, a boy with quickness to kill a fly bare-handed develops the skill and understanding to catch and release bare-handed.

Also notice the clarifying effects of using as few pronouns as possible when communicating.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

True Freedom?

One definition is that:

One's body and mind are not owned, not even by the desire for enlightenment.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Sid wrote: True Freedom.. What do you think that means?
The ability to be honest. Which can only happen if one knows oneself and ones situation, otherwise how could one tell?

Dishonest are not just the ones incapable of telling truth but also the "conscious liars".
The conscious liar can be truthful in one area but only with the goal to blind himself and others in another area: truth as disguise.

True freedom is like responsibility: the ability to respond truthfully as a whole. Which means any response will reflect as closely as possible ones actual nature.
Cahoot wrote:True Freedom?

One definition is that:

One's body and mind are not owned, not even by the desire for enlightenment.
Amazing.. such incredible response.. It could not have been said any better. I've always associated myself as more of a observer.. I've just collected beliefs and ideals.. never taking part.. so hearing the way cahoot describe true freedom.. i believe thats what i'm searching for.
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

Thanks, Sid.

Filled with mental paradoxes, though.
Such as, realizing who realizes.

It's not easy till it's effortless.
Effortless requires effort.

Here's a reposting from this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6950
Desires have distinctions.

Virtuous desire sets into motion the removal of what obscures the nature of mind. Virtuous desire is the intent of life. This subsumes all other desire, sucks away all the energy from other desires until it becomes the most important everything. This one desire must be fulfilled, it becomes a do or die kind of thing. All creativity, energy, contemplation, goes into fulfilling the imperative of this one desire, and in fact the intensity of this single focus is the motivating force behind every single conscious, deliberate movement of daily living.

Sooner or later, this last desire is fulfilled.

Reference this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6956
Sid

Post by Sid »

Edited due to too much contradiction.
Last edited by Sid on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Preston

Post by Cathy Preston »

I believe you are a walking contradiction, honesty within one self is imperative; without that you might as well be selling snake oil.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Sid wrote:As an individual I can understand every form of study but I cannot master any, however my time may come.
So it is for me also.
Don't run to your death
Diebert van Rhijn

Sid wrote:As an individual I can understand every form of study but I cannot master any, however my time may come.
Understanding a [form of] study equals mastering it. Of course you might tell yourself you've got the gist and move on. But that's not understanding, it would be more like registration and memorization.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Sid wrote: My personal self awareness. I strive to know myself above all. I know every facial expression I'm capable of. I know the length of my stride and the position of fingers and toes in relaxed and tense emotional status, I even know the tone difference between my inner voice and spoken voice.
Ha, do you really think you know these things? You have quite a lot to learn.
I believe I need to know me before I attempt to know others. I believe truth is the rarest gem and that balance exists in all things. However, that's where my belief ends.
Ah so you are motivated by belief and not knowledge. Why not come back when you know you need to know yourself, and you know truth is the rarest gem, and you know balance exists in all things.
Tell me you're ideas, beliefs, and any advice you have for my journey. I would greatly appreciate all feedback to help me grow. Thank you in advance.
The Buddha once said in so many words - do not trust anything you hear or read, not even me, unless it agrees with your own reason.
A later Buddha, Huang Po, also once said again in so many words - Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.

Good luck!
a gutter rat looking at stars
Sid

Post by Sid »

Cathy Preston wrote:I believe you are a walking contradiction, honesty within one self is imperative; without that you might as well be selling snake oil.

Right on. Called me out and i appreciate you're quick honest assessment.
Honesty within ones self... without that i may as well be selling snake oil..
I'm gonna assume you're remarking upon two different instances.. One of which i said a salesman of purpose.. I thought that may attract attention.. salesman has such a negative connotation its bound to attract negative reaction.. as would my self promotion and arrogance.. The other instance... Walking contradiction.. where I speak of pursuing enlightenment then almost immediately alter and say I'm humanly and am a person of the people... and Snake Oil.. a term used to describe that which is questionable or unverifiable.. a fraud.. which it is.. I am. hope that's honest enough for you.
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Understanding a [form of] study equals mastering it. Of course you might tell yourself you've got the gist and move on. But that's not understanding, it would be more like registration and memorization.
You're unbiased. straight to the fact of the matter. I like that about you. I agree mostly. However. I don't believe in complete mastery of any subject.. Always room to improve.. forever a student I'm afraid.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Edit. no need.
Last edited by Sid on Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glostik91

Post by Glostik91 »

Sid wrote:Glostik91, beginning advice with "Ha" is not only counter productive and in complete contradiction of you're quote it's also just not humanly .. Then to go on to say "come back" when i know my truth is also counter productive and shows ownership as to say "I've attained this level in it's entirety and you're unwelcome in my world".. To this I would say.. We both have much to learn..

There is no excuse for what I've written here..So I've much to learn.. this is true..
Thank you for you're postings. keep it up.
I don't want you to respect me. I want you to look at my words and see if there is any merit in them. Even if there is, do not respect me.

What exactly do I have to learn? Teach me oh master! Even now Huang Po says 'ha' in his grave. "I've attained this level," ha, what exactly have I attained?
a gutter rat looking at stars
Diebert van Rhijn

Sid wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Understanding a [form of] study equals mastering it..
I don't believe in complete mastery of any subject.. Always room to improve.. forever a student I'm afraid.
Who said a master cannot or will not improve? And yet if a master would not study or develop on a whole different level, there would have been no need to use this distinction in your language.
Cathy Preston

Post by Cathy Preston »

Sid wrote:Right on. Called me out and i appreciate you're quick honest assessment.
Honesty within ones self... without that i may as well be selling snake oil..
I'm gonna assume you're remarking upon two different instances.. One of which i said a salesman of purpose.. I thought that may attract attention.. salesman has such a negative connotation its bound to attract negative reaction.. as would my self promotion and arrogance.. The other instance... Walking contradiction.. where I speak of pursuing enlightenment then almost immediately alter and say I'm humanly and am a person of the people... and Snake Oil.. a term used to describe that which is questionable or unverifiable.. a fraud.. which it is.. I am. hope that's honest enough for you.
Selling anything is always easier when you believe in it yourself. Imaging one has great understanding and rare truth is always easier than demonstrating it.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Sid wrote:
Diebert van Rhijn wrote:
Understanding a [form of] study equals mastering it..
I don't believe in complete mastery of any subject.. Always room to improve.. forever a student I'm afraid.
Who said a master cannot or will not improve? And yet if a master would not study or develop on a whole different level, there would have been no need to use this distinction in your language.
So basically a master has great understanding yet proceeds to develop and learn in you're language. Where I used it a generic term for complete mastery is where you believe I need correction?