Inspiration Today

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
jufa

Inspiration Today

Post by jufa »

Direct Quote From The Gift of Taking
Take Seven, page 146

Leave Me Alone

Michael is a nice young man raised in a traditional family. All his life it was drilled into his head: " You should grow up to become a doctor or a lawyer!" Michael ended up becoming a clown! Not just any ordinary clown, but a clown who helps children who have cancer. Michael loved his career and felt very fulfilled. However, is mother didn't feel the same way. Every other day she'd call Michael.
"Michael are you still doing that clown thing? When are you going to get a real job? Are you still living in that little apartment? Don't you have a girlfriend yet? You really should think about getting married and buying a home and making a life for yourself."
Michael would shout back, "Mom leave me alone! If I want to be a clown, I'm going to be a clown! If I want to live in an apartment, I'll live in an apartment. Stop telling me what I should or shouldn't do. It's my life! If you're going to keep criticizing me, just don't call at all. He's always hang up angry.
Michael, I asked, during your conversations with you Mom, were you creating closeness or separation?"
"Sometimes I can't even stand being in the same room with her," he said. "She sets me off constantly. Why can't she either love me for myself or just leave me alone?"
What if this is the only way she knows how to show love?"
"If that's what love feels like, I'd rather not have it! He exclaimed.
"Michael, your mothers words can only come through the eyes of who she is. You mother has been trained to see success in a certain way. Maybe she's trying to say, 'I love you' in the only way she knows how. She's not trying to control your life; she wants the best for you. Her comments show you what she sees as being the best. Her intentions aren't to create separation from you. Your mother loves you. Maybe in her eyes being a doctor or lawyer and living in a big house with a wife and kids is how she views happiness and success.
"When she talks to you next time, I suggest you listen only to her intentions and bypass her words. Forget the words and hear her saying, ' I care about you, I want so much for you, my son, I love you.' Let's see what happens. Remember, only speak to her intentions. She's is saying 'I love you' the best way she can."
It'll never work," he declared "She'll never change." But he reluctantly agreed to
try.
A few days later Michael's Mom phoned him and started her speech, "Michael, when are you going to get a real job, get married, buy a house and have children?"
Michael paused and answered, Mom, thank you for wanting so much for me."
Instantly, his mother broke down and sobbed, That's all I've ever been trying to say! I love you, Son."

The Hidden Language

As Michael discover, life is much easier if we can learn to understand the motivation behind the words. Maybe we get into trouble when we take words at face value. If only we can open up to what people are really trying to say, we will avoid much pain.

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa

http://theillusionofgod.yuku.com