Altruism

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
uncledote

Altruism

Post by uncledote »

Why do we have to be isolated, solitary, 'enlightened' genius'.

Why not be a humanist / altruist instead?

http://www.altruists.org/ideas/economic ... apitalism/
Blair

Re: Altruism

Post by Blair »

The human species doesn't have a future.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

Rampant altruism that's not guided by wisdom is surely going to help bring an end to the present scheme of things. Though I do see a future for the human species.

"The weak and the botched shall perish: first principle of our charity. And one should help them to it. What is more harmful than any vice? - Practical sympathy for the botched and the weak - Christianity." (Nietzsche)
eyekwah

Post by eyekwah »

The problem with altruism is that it only works if everybody is altruistic, meaning you can either hope for a utopia or you can plan for a bleak future where altruistic people are presumed weak and passive.

It's the same reason why you could never hope to have a money-free society. People have to be able to measure the amount of work and trouble put into something in order to gauge how much reward they should get from it. Though if everyone was genuinely altruistic, people would continue to work and ask for only the services and goods needed to live happily and not abuse the system. Though that will never be the case, and if you support a system which relies on human beings being altruistic, I'd have to assume that you haven't graduated from high school for all the intelligence that implies.
Life is wasted on the living.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

eyekwah wrote:The problem with altruism is that it only works if everybody is altruistic, meaning you can either hope for a utopia or you can plan for a bleak future where altruistic people are presumed weak and passive.

It's the same reason why you could never hope to have a money-free society. People have to be able to measure the amount of work and trouble put into something in order to gauge how much reward they should get from it. Though if everyone was genuinely altruistic, people would continue to work and ask for only the services and goods needed to live happily and not abuse the system. Though that will never be the case, and if you support a system which relies on human beings being altruistic, I'd have to assume that you haven't graduated from high school for all the intelligence that implies.

The Amish people practise a good deal of altruism.

A group or community could be altruistic working for 'time dollars' or favours in kind but still having dealings with more corporate concerns outwith that community.

The Zeitgeist movement has the architect Jaques Fresco espousing all sorts of Utopian / altruistic ideas and he is well beyond High School leaving age, no?
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Blair wrote:The human species doesn't have a future.

How do you know this - are you the grand master of Entropic studies?

Are you against Stephen Hawking's idea of moving planets? Are you cynical regarding Transhumanism?
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

What about Open Source software? Peer to Peer sharing?
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

uncledote wrote:
I suspect Blair has a good handle on perceiving the human condition for what it is. My view is that the human species has no NOW.

We are cowardly, ill-formed, and weak
Aged, envious, and evil spoken
I see only fools and sots
Truly the end is nigh
All goes ill

(Deschamps)
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

uncledote wrote:The Zeitgeist movement has the architect Jaques Fresco espousing all sorts of Utopian / altruistic ideas and he is well beyond High School leaving age, no?
Poor guy never had the courage to take off his rose-colored glasses.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

"In brief, if you could look down from the moon, as Menippus once did, and see the innumerable broils of mortals, you would think you were looking at a great cloud of flies or gnats quarrelling among themselves, warring, plotting, plundering, playing, frisking, being born, declining, dying. It is downright incredible what tumults, what tragedies can be stirred up by such a tiny creature, so frail and short-lived." (Erasmus)
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Bob Michael wrote:"In brief, if you could look down from the moon, as Menippus once did, and see the innumerable broils of mortals, you would think you were looking at a great cloud of flies or gnats quarrelling among themselves, warring, plotting, plundering, playing, frisking, being born, declining, dying. It is downright incredible what tumults, what tragedies can be stirred up by such a tiny creature, so frail and short-lived." (Erasmus)

Nice one.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Bob Michael wrote:
uncledote wrote:The Zeitgeist movement has the architect Jaques Fresco espousing all sorts of Utopian / altruistic ideas and he is well beyond High School leaving age, no?
Poor guy never had the courage to take off his rose-colored glasses.

So, are we doomed to be isolated, Nihilistic, keyboard warriors?
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

uncledote wrote:So, are we doomed to be isolated, Nihilistic, keyboard warriors?
I'm afraid that's the case for most. But I'm no longer a part of the 'we'. Though I surely was caught up in it for many years. How can one not, at least to some degree or other? But I found the way out and must now sound the trumpet in order to help others find their way out. That is for those who have ears to hear and hearts that can deeply feel.
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Bob Michael wrote:
uncledote wrote:So, are we doomed to be isolated, Nihilistic, keyboard warriors?
I'm afraid that's the case for most. But I'm no longer a part of the 'we'. Though I surely was caught up in it for many years. How can one not, at least to some degree or other? But I found the way out and must now sound the trumpet in order to help others find their way out. That is for those who have ears to hear and hearts that can deeply feel.

Do tell.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

Uncledot,

The altruistic way, as if in China, would rather be a world of blunder.

If you accepted it for a year-it would last forever. The yearly gross for China is 40 billion. The world market would crash. From my reality to yours:
Last edited by ForbidenRea on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

[like] What are you wearing, today?
Altruistic is a frame of thought. That, once, it is placed in the corner of the mind affects all the habitat, colors, people, places,etc: People are altruistic.
ForbidenRea

Post by ForbidenRea »

Furthermore, uncledot,

I've composed a work of art. An altruism.
Blair

Post by Blair »

uncledote wrote:

How do you know this ?
Because you don't.
A=A
uncledote

Post by uncledote »

Blair wrote:
uncledote wrote:

How do you know this ?
Because you don't.
A=A

Blair=Smug Cunt

Discuss
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

uncledote wrote:
Blair wrote:
uncledote wrote:
How do you know this ?
Because you don't.
A=A
Blair=Smug Cunt
Discuss
No one is buying your shit, dote. You have Amish where you live? The "c" word rears his ugly head........

Why don't you put a few sentences together and then a few paragraphs of what you know on the topic you presented. "You" need to defend, not "we".
Don't run to your death
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Hey - I didn't know you could nest 4 quotes!!
eyekwah

Post by eyekwah »

uncledote, the Amish have a hold on their society like a chieftain has a hold on his tribe, which is to say, through authority they are led. On a national scale, that doesn't work. The king had to rely on his dukes to provide him with money, and the dukes had to rely on their counts, etc. Ultimately, the people listened to the authority that was sitting in the castle at the top of the hill, not the king. Even then, monarchy only works because people are brainwashed into thinking that doing anything other than what your told is a suicide note. You could argue that a king may have the authority to develop a utopia, but by definition, it would require a dystopia to get there.

Alternatively, a dictator has absolute power, moreso than a king, but he works by fear. I think fear and utopia don't go hand in hand, do you?
Life is wasted on the living.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

uncledote wrote:

Are you against Stephen Hawking's idea of moving planets? Are you cynical regarding Transhumanism?
A smiley for you -> :)
unbound
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

ForbidenRea wrote:Furthermore, uncledot,

I've composed a work of art. An altruism.
Would you convince me, i think by telling us your entertaining yourself if nothing else, computers do nothing without instruction.
unbound
alice144

Post by alice144 »

eyekwah wrote:The problem with altruism is that it only works if everybody is altruistic, meaning you can either hope for a utopia or you can plan for a bleak future where altruistic people are presumed weak and passive.
Oh, I don't know about that. I think that we can look at altruism as being on a sliding scale. Now while going around thinking the best of everyone and everything might be akin to wearing a sign on your back that reads, "kick me", I do think that it is possible to practice a reasonable amount of altruism in this world. Baby steps, yeah?

Also, Nietzche was empirically quite insane. That's what happens when you get a disease which eats away at your grey matter.