The Cause of School Shootings and Teen Suicide

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Gremln

The Cause of School Shootings and Teen Suicide

Post by Gremln »

When I was in grade 12 I sometimes felt suicidal. The only thing that prevented me from shooting up my school was the fact that I had some male friends who understood me.

School shootings and teen suicides (at least when committed by males) are caused by a lack of brotherly love among males. We live in a world where people have friends just to boost their own egos and meaningful friendships are rare.
Diebert van Rhijn

Re: The Cause of School Shootings and Teen Suicide

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Indeed, the ongoing unraveling of the social fabric is demanding a great toll on the weakest. Collapses can take several forms but outwards projected maximum violence is one of them.

One could also think of this as the linkage between rationality and morality. Devaluing of ones own existence or those around you (by some weird projection) is definitely linked to the lack of capacity for rational conscious thought, which is not the same as intellectual thinking processes. The needed mental breathing room for rationality is in this case actually occupied by impressions, depressions and communal stress with no inward life going on to transcend (transmogrify, sublimate) any of this.
GGman

Post by GGman »

One of causes of school shootings is being cheap on education, having kids raised by other kids who are immature and clueless about the world instead of mature, well rounded wise and compassionate adults.

Kids need to be raised by mature adults, they also really need to be raised in the real world and have real demands made on them instead of simply makework the current school systems use.

There should probably be co-op schools that do both school and work, and kids getting paid as well.
Last edited by GGman on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mental vagrant
Location: A flick of green to be seen between alone between two giants

Post by mental vagrant »

Congratulations you've simplified a massive problem matrix to a few sentences, you are officially a genius.

Surely it is less an exertion to commit suicide than to engage in the act of mass murder? Perhaps that is the cup of stupidity talking. In any case you're clearly speaking of dehumanisation which is a pervasive "conundrum" in the twilight of western civility. An age where you no longer need your instincts to survive, you question where sanity has gone, without principle driven constraints you can't expect any. Emotion is key to being human. A person rendered psychopathic has become a moron, its words no longer have basis, its actions without purpose and consequentially its story without meaning.

Also to the first poster, do you realise you just admitted you considered mass murder?
unbound
GGman

Post by GGman »

mental vagrant wrote:Congratulations you've simplified a massive problem matrix to a few sentences, you are officially a genius.
My apologies I should have said one potential way to reduce suicide/school shootings is...

There are times late at night where I'm just shooting from the hip.
GGman

Post by GGman »

mental vagrant wrote:A person rendered psychopathic has become a moron, its words no longer have basis, its actions without purpose and consequentially its story without meaning.
Depends, the word has been abused so much how does one know one is a 'psychopath' and not merely observing and reacting to the world according to ones own valid life experience?
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

Psychopath is a term coalesced from the Greek words psykhe (mind, mental) and pathos (suffering, feeling). The DSM have a list of criteria that can describe some hue of the 'condition'. My answer is that i cannot refute it's natural validity in any way; only from my perspective it has some unpleasant connotations. Perhaps nature wants you to help it reset.
unbound
mental vagrant

Post by mental vagrant »

Your reaction to the futility of your existence seems emotionally comprehensible though. Not a day goes by through which depression weigns. Life is a brutal struggle, who are the real participants? Am i already dead and irrelevant, probably.
unbound