Sentencing the Human Race

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Blair

Re: Sentencing the Human Race

Post by Blair »

cousinbasil wrote:
prince wrote:Because when they do eventually get it all right, that will include understanding those factors.
So it does matter that people do endeavor to get it right?
Since it means that (hopefully) a generation of humanity in the future will have large-scale access to the true nature of reality, rather than being dogged by superstition and uncertainty, then yes it matters.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

cousinbasil wrote:I have resisted attending any sort of JW Kingdom Hall function for two reasons. One, I think it would be either disrespectful or hypocritical since there is not a chance I will ever believe in the inerrancy of the Bible in any version. Second, I see no need for it because they won't stop coming to my house - why bother going to theirs?
I could be wrong c/b, but you seem to be very narrow or closed minded and set in your ways. Hence I have no desire to engage in any further conversation with you. However I have all the time in the world, so to speak, for those who I feel have ears to hear. Rare as these sort of souls may be.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bob Michael wrote:I could be wrong c/b, but you seem to be very narrow or closed minded and set in your ways.
Well, obviously I think you are wrong. I am willing to read that book you suggested - as soon as I can find an ebook version or the equivalent. (BTW, I have found the audio-book version. If you are interested, I could post a copy of it somewhere for you to download. I find I glean less from audio books than I do by reading a book for myself. But hey, maybe I am set in my ways.)
Hence I have no desire to engage in any further conversation with you.
And I am the close-minded one! Well, by all means have it your way.
However I have all the time in the world, so to speak, for those who I feel have ears to hear. Rare as these sort of souls may be.
"So to speak" because the end of the world is right around the corner. Very funny.

Listen, I know a malcontent when I hear one. Things haven't worked out for you the way you had hoped, so you have developed a Weltanschauung the center theme of which is the destruction of the world as we know it in your own lifetime. This is rather the equivalent of a child knocking over a board game and quitting when he discovers he is losing. You have gravitated to things and people which tend to support this, such as the Apocalypse and apocalyptic thinkers. You have misinterpreted others as having similar philosophies. (I wouldn't be surprised if Barry Long's writings were not apocalyptic in the slightest.) In the past, similar malcontents would strike out for new parts with like-minded souls and start colonies and new religions. America is filled with Mormons, Quakers, Shakers, Christian Scientists, and less idealistic cults such as Scientologists.

But in today's world, frontiers are scarce, aren't they? So in your fantasy, you will live to see the world wiped clean like an etch-a-sketch, so that you do not have to deal with those who irritate you because they are not also malcontents. Things seem to have not gone quite so wrong for them, and this is really what bothers you. The fault cannot be yours, so it must lie with them. They must not have reached the full flower of manhood. Which you, of course, have.

The way I see it, if I were so close-minded, I wouldn't be so fascinated with this Ark you are building. I think you said you are not going to build it in Reading, which is probably wise, since even those with "ears to hear" are not likely to be excited by the prospect of moving there.

Let me know if you are interested in that Barry Long material. You can PM me since you have said you have no wish to engage in any discussion with me.
Last edited by cousinbasil on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Michael

Post by Bob Michael »

cousinbasil wrote:Let me know if you are interested in that Barry Long material. You can PM me since you have said you have no wish to engage in any discussion with me.
Thanks for the offer c/b, but I have my own copy. Which is merely one of over 500 in my library. Though a reasonably good one I feel. And I find that one should be very wary of a man of one book, and regardless of what that book happens to be.
cousinbasil

Post by cousinbasil »

Bob Michael wrote:
cousinbasil wrote:Let me know if you are interested in that Barry Long material. You can PM me since you have said you have no wish to engage in any discussion with me.
Thanks for the offer c/b, but I have my own copy. Which is merely one of over 500 in my library. Though a reasonably good one I feel. And I find that one should be very wary of a man of one book, and regardless of what that book happens to be.
Now that we agree on.
Anders Schlander

Post by Anders Schlander »

A bunch of lost children.

A sea of good and bad.
lawrencelaica

Post by lawrencelaica »

Shakespeare had an interesting quote:
"As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods."

My one sentence definition of the human race would probably echo that sentiment.
Visit www.Lawrence-Lai.ca!
Animus

Post by Animus »

The individual in reality upon whom all things are impressed and made manifest.

The first is the whole presentation of the unitary reality, the second is the re-presentation derived and made distinct from whole presentation, and the third is the manifestation of re-presentation as a self-experiencing-the-world.

E Unum Pluribus (Out of One; Many)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

The human race:

Eclectic Electrics