The Evil of Charm

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ryan Rudolph

Re: The Evil of Charm

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carmel,
"The Christian resolve to find the world evil and ugly, has made the world evil and ugly."
I think you fail to understand what this statement means. It means that religious groups tend to demonize other groups different from them to give them an excuse to exterminate that group. A tendency present in every culture. And Nietzsche would agree that these groups are evil and ugly. It is their unconsciousness that is evil and ugly. Moreover, I am saying that charm is mostly evil in nature because charm is utilized the strongest by unconscious people. People who are using it blindly in order to manipulate and control overs for their own end.

A good example of Charm would be demonstrated in many of these social networking reality shows where each participant is attempting to get as far in the game as possible. What one observes is the participants who tend to get the farthest are the ones who do not make many enemies with others, and are overly nice and polite, even if they do not typically want to behave in that manner. They may really dislike the other person's personality, but they put on a mask for survival reasons. That is how charm is mostly used in the business world - employees pretend they like others in order to protect themselves, and get themselves farther in this insane capitalist game we are all forced to play. I am just pointing out that it is a dishonest charade, a game played to maximize survival, but it lacks honesty, transparency and integrity. But hey, that is the human way...
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Ryan:

"The Christian resolve to find the world evil and ugly, has made the world evil and ugly."

I think you fail to understand what this statement means.

Carmel:

It's you who fails to see what this means. The philsophical significance of this statement applies to everyone, not just Christians. It's about a mindset, not Christianity, specifically. An atheist who is resolved to see the world as evil and ugly, will find it so.

You are determined to see the neutral, sometimes even innocent quality of charm as "evil", therefore you will continue to find it so...
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carmel,

I've already admitted that charm can sometimes be neutral or harmless, but this thread focuses on how charm is evil. That is the interesting part, and the part that has the biggest philosophical significance. But yeah, a huge percentage of people would rather focus on how charm can be neutral or harmless, to block out their own misuse and abuse of charm.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Ryan Rudolph:

But yeah, a huge percentage of people would rather focus on how charm can be neutral or harmless, to block out their own misuse and abuse of charm.

Carmel:

...right and that's all you'll ever see, because that's all you want to see. You're focused on finding evil where it may not actually exist. This is what I meant by "You're creating your own hell." ...That's fine, but don't expect the rest of us to reside there with you.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carmel,

There is evil in every human mind, so it is quite easy to find. Its as common as beach sand actually...and that is what a true philosopher is interested in examining. Examining human nature will almost always result in some sort of evil being exposed, if one is truly honest with themselves.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Ryan:
There is evil in every human mind, so it is quite easy to find. Its as common as beach sand actually...and that is what a true philosopher is interested in examining.

Carmel:
That's debatable, not all "true philosophers" believe in the concept of "good" and "evil".

Ryan:
Examining human nature will almost always result in some sort of evil being exposed, if one is truly honest with themselves.

Carmel:
seek and ye shall find...if you seek "evil", that's what you will find, though if you're honest with yourself, you will come to realize, that the "evil" you're experiencing is primarily a subjective experience, a product of your imagination and doesn't necessarily exist elsewhere.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carmel,

You are not any making sense, study history - World War 2, the genocide in Africa, the greed on wall street leading to much of the US middle class losing their entire life savings. Evil is a reality. Ignorance exists, and as long as ignorance exists, evil and irrationality must follow...

Evil is not merely a conceptual construction, it is a actuality present in the very fabric of human behavior.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Ryan:
You are not any making sense, study history - World War 2, the genocide in Africa, the greed on wall street leading to much of the US middle class losing their entire life savings. Evil is a reality. Ignorance exists, and as long as ignorance exists, evil and irrationality must follow...

Carmel:
I don't equate ignorance and irrationality with "evil", though I would certainly agree that those two human attributes are large contributing factors to the societal problems which you mentioned, wars, genocide, etc.

Ryan:
Evil is not merely a conceptual construction, it is a actuality present in the very fabric of human behavior.

Carmel:
"Evil" is a conceptual construct. I tend to view human behaviour more in terms of cause and effect, rather than "good" and "evil".
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Carmel,

Accepting the reality of evil in the world is in alignment with cause and effect. People who have no control over their emotionalism is the root cause of all evil. Simple cause and effect. Ignorance translates into behavior governed by cognition that the thinker is not aware is wrong action. Wrong action is just another way of saying evil....