Please enlighten me on this.

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Jeannie

Please enlighten me on this.

Post by Jeannie »

Why is the saying "A genius can do anything except make a living" any less pathetic than "Girls can do anything"?
Dan Rowden

Re: Please enlighten me on this.

Post by Dan Rowden »

I don't see any real conceptual relationship between the two statements. "A genius can do anything except make a living" is a statement about how society works and the fact that genius is not recognized in any utilitarian way by said society (and that a genius is unlikely to share the normative values of that society and therefore be productive to it in a conventional way). "Girls can do anything" is just puerile feminist claptrap designed to boost the egos of women.

The saying really should have been: "Girls are entitled to do what they want." That would have made a lot more friggin' sense.
zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

Dan, vaginas are made for f-----g, not for looking at!
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Um, that's pretty debatable, as all things aesthetic are.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

The word "anything" is quite broad. In fact, it could mean "anything".

Can geniuses fly to the moon by themselves?

The fact society at large does not see the utilitarian of genius seems irrelevant.

Can geniuses do "anything" or not?
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

Well, gee...there's an enlightened comment...NOT!
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jeannie wrote:The word "anything" is quite broad. In fact, it could mean "anything".

Can geniuses fly to the moon by themselves?

The fact society at large does not see the utilitarian of genius seems irrelevant.

Can geniuses do "anything" or not?
I think you're taking the quote a tad too literally rather than seeing the point contained therein. But yes, in that literal sense, both quotes are a tad silly. However, the quote about women being able to do anything was meant to be taken quite literally.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Jeannie wrote:Dan, vaginas are made for f-----g, not for looking at!

So? Why did you direct that at me? I didn't say it.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

I am sure nobody thought women could fly to the moon by themselves...sheesh! Maybe you are reading it too literally? :)

Of course I did not direct that comment at you. It may have followed your post but obviously it was directed at the poster.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'm not here to babysit posters. I would have thought you can tell that I know a silly statement when I see one. I don't need to have them pointed out to me.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dan, I think Jeannie was quoting this post.

Jeannie, there's a handy "quote" button in the top right of each post just for occasions when you don't want to confuse Dan.

As for the topic: the genius mould was broken here at GF - here, "anything" has a somewhat more restricted meaning...
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

Thanks guest_of_logic.

Although, I am not sure why Dan responded as he did. It seemed quite obvious I was in no way referring to him.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

My guess is that it's because he's been copping a lot of undeserved flak lately, some of it reflected, to the point that he's lost a lot of his patience with the punters.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

It was directed at me because the post started with my name; needlessly.

I don't need to have the words of others pointed out to me as if it meant something to or about me.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Dan Rowden wrote:It was directed at me because the post started with my name; needlessly.
Dan, your name was already in what was quoted (to provide the link for a second time) - it wasn't added by Jeannie.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Ah, crap, so it was. My bad. Just goes to show I don't take much notice of moments of passing banality.

Now I know why you directed Jean to the quote function.

Carry on. I'm in a mood, as you can tell :)
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Understandably.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

Well, sort of. I don't really like it that I am, but I can't pretend I'm not. Mo fo :)
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Well you know that I don't share your anti-emotion perspective, so with any luck you'll grant me the "right" to say that I don't think that what's being handed out to you elsewhere is fair, and that it's reasonable ('"reasonable" emotions... hahahaha', I hear you chortle...) that the injustice would piss you off.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Anything or everything is a not uncommon short for "all relevant matters" or "a great deal".

It's all about the context here or at least what one finds relevant or great.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Diebert, neither of those alternatives are any more specific than the original.
Diebert van Rhijn

Post by Diebert van Rhijn »

Actually it answers very specifically the question. If you'd look up the context of the original statements you could find a clue to what's meant with relevant and great in both cases.

But never mind, you're just here to troll and moan without any real interest or capacity for the topics. You're not even able to stop.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

"A genius can do anything except make a living"

A genius is not super-human, only highly intelligent. He can hardly do anything at all except for what his abilities allow him to do. He can't make a living because it is to difficult for his over intelligent brain to relate with mediocre-mindedness or low digit I.Qers, meaning that he must teach himself to speak in more understandable terms. His intelligence allows him to relate with anyone on any mental level, but his preferance is not to relate with others intellectually because it takes much mental effort on his part to challenge his ability to speak with others who have a lesser degree of intelligence. In other words he's mastered the ability to relate with anyone, but a preference to only speak with those who could possibly understand his intellect.

His abilities in any field are to entertain people because he knows he can, like music, or writing, both captivate and mesmerize the audience. He understands that he loses his listeners in conversations because of their short attention spans and inability to understand intellectual concept.
guest_of_logic

Post by guest_of_logic »

Diebert, I was tired and I wasn't thinking clearly when I made that post - I withdraw it.
Jeannie

Post by Jeannie »

Seems only budding geniuses are able to make criticisms...truly.......if an outsider thinks what is said is crap, particularly when it is merely an opinion, don't they have as much right?

Why didn't the quote say "Geniuses have no interest in making a living" or something like that to avoid confusion. I love the old "you have to put it in context" line. Just like the Scriptures, hey?