People who frequent this website are not very bright

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
average person

People who frequent this website are not very bright

Post by average person »

you may think you are super smart but you truly aren't. i am a man of average intelligence, i attend university in the states studying psychology. i am not the smartest person ever and i accept that and that is what all of you cunts need to do.

when someone says to me how are you i reply that i am good, even though i know that it is improper english, and i am happy about that. you guys say you hate "regular people" come on grow up, we weren't all born with your super duper fucking brain so we like human interaction and we don't shut people out because we view them as inferior. honestly you all suck.

and if you want to bug me about being stupid, be my fucking guest, i would love to hear from all of you 12 year olds who think that they are smarter than everyone on the planet. news flash dick-nose, you aren't.

and if you are going to pick apart my grammar and "simpleton" vocabulary i have a sentence for you

i am going, too the store to pick up, you're stuff! because i am awesome!

with all the sincerity i have in my heart, go fuck yourselves.
jupiviv

Re: People who frequent this website are not very bright

Post by jupiviv »

average person wrote:People who frequent this website are not very bright
Says the "average person". :-)
Elizabeth Isabelle

Post by Elizabeth Isabelle »

Dear Chip,

Please get off of average person's shoulder. You are obviously huge, and blocking the average person's ability to see the world clearly. Genius can not develop in a person with a chip on his shoulder so large as to crush him, so, Chip - be gone!
Cahoot

Post by Cahoot »

average person, assuming that you are sincere in the interpretation of your perceptions, then without attempting to invalidate your interpretation of perceptions, and accepting it at face value, an interesting point becomes apparent.

In life, not everyone will behave as you would have them behave. The most valued people you will ever encounter are those who raise your energy. That you interpret this elevation of energy as an annoyance, or inspiration, is evidence of what you do with that energy.

Both attempting to hurt through denigration, and attempting to be kind through acts of kindness, stimulate energy in oneself, and others. At the base, reactive level of existence, most people associate hurting and kindness with particular actions.

When your concern is less with protecting a particular self-identification, or self-image, suffering can give way to compassion. When compassion becomes the energy activator, or the motivator for action, then anything in the world that causes energy to arise, such as actions in others that are associated with annoyance, or pain or kindness, are transmuted into compassionate action.

And here’s the paradox. Though you, as an average person, may have the intent of hurting when you use hurtful words, a compassionate one effortlessly transmutes that energy born of harmful intent into actions of benefit.

I frequent this place often, though I don’t post a whole lot. I think many of the people here are brilliant, and high energy is radiated here via intellect. The critical attraction of this place is the energy flow.

What readers do with the free gifts of energy offered here, how the energy here is transmuted by compassion or a particular self-image, is irrelevant to the writings themselves.
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

Cahoot:
When your concern is less with protecting a particular self-identification, or self-image, suffering can give way to compassion. When compassion becomes the energy activator, or the motivator for action, then anything in the world that causes energy to arise, such as actions in others that are associated with annoyance, or pain or kindness, are transmuted into compassionate action.

Cahoot:
What readers do with the free gifts of energy offered here, how the energy here is transmuted by compassion or a particular self-image, is irrelevant to the writings themselves.

Carmel:

Cahoot,
yes, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I admire your patience and compassion in addressing "average person's" post. When I read posts of a negative nature, I usually just scan scan, mentally delete, into the trash bin.

Anyway, I don't know if you raised "average person's" energy at all, but you did raise mine, so, thank you for that. :)
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Average, you must feel some smarter about yourself than just average, otherwise you wouldn't be posting here.

But, yes, I clearly see the same things you do, but just ignore these educated contributors unless they make sense in what they are saying and you have a need to respond to them.
Educated or not, it's the ideas that count!

Educated contributors aren't necessarily intelligent, they are only book smart and have learned to word their smarts with educated terminology. Intelligence and knowledge are two different things. It takes intelligence to handle knowledge.

As Kevin Solway says it best, "Jeolousies of the Intellect"

Just show your own intellect and stop concentrating on others inferior ways of a smug sense of superiority.

No human is superior to any human, otherwise they wouldn't be human. People are smarter, brighter, wiser, but none are superior!

So concentrate on what you have to offer here, not what others brag, boast, offer, or annoy to others.
Animus

Post by Animus »

DSM IV Criteria for Narcissism (5 or more)

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

So to condense Animus's post down to one word, it would be Confidence! And you can't beat that!

But, how many people possess true confidence in themselves. I do, and I have no education to speak of, other than a semester in college and two diplomas.

Everyone who risks themselves to post their opinions, theories, ideas, or facts, are smart enough to do so. Smart enough to share themselves which could benefit others. Smart enough to realize they risk themselves, but confident enough to handle opposition.

It's the confidence you hold for yourself that credits you with moving forward regardless of what anyone says in opposition to your ideas.
Pincho Paxton

Post by Pincho Paxton »

Average didn't create the internet, so you wouldn't be able to post your message. You are indebted to about 50 Genius who invented maths, to computers, to the internet to post that you hate Genius.
Tomas

Pick Up the Pieces

Post by Tomas »

average white band
You may think you are super smart but you truly aren't. I am a man of average intelligence, I attend university in the States
studying psychology. I am not the smartest person ever and I accept that and that is what all of you cunts need to do.

-tomas-
I, I, I, I. You're really into yourself, huh?

-average white band-
When someone says to me how are you I reply that I am good, even though I know that it is improper English, and I am happy
about that. You guys say you hate "regular people" come on grow up, we weren't all born with your super duper fucking brain
so we like human interaction and we don't shut people out because we view them as inferior. Honestly you all suck.

-tomas-
I, me, I, I, I. Stuck on I-Me?

-average white band-
And if you want to bug me about being stupid, be my fucking guest, I would love to hear from all of you 12 year olds who think
that they are smarter than everyone on the planet. News flash dick-nose, you aren't.

-tomas-
Me, my, I. Gettin' better there, good buddy!

-average white band-
And if you are going to pick apart my grammar and "simpleton" vocabulary I have a sentence for you.

-tomas-
my, I. Down to two!

-average white band-
I am going, too the store to pick up, you're stuff! because I am awesome!

-tomas-
I, I. Back to two!

-average white band-
With all the sincerity I have in my heart, go fuck yourselves.

-tomas-
I, my. Hmm, reminds me of The Beatles tune .. I Me Mine.

Quoted from Harrison: "'I Me Mine' is the ego problem." The set of pronouns which forms the song's title is a conventional way of referring to the ego in a Hindu context. For example, the Bhagavad Gita 2:71-72 can be translated as "They are forever free who renounce all selfish desires and break away from the ego-cage of "I," "me," and "mine" to be united to the Lord. This is the supreme state. Attain to this, and pass from death to immortality." Perhaps unconsciously, the song also reflects Harrison's reaction to the clashes of egos in the Beatles' painful closing days as a group.

After receiving his "eternal problem" inspiration, Harrison played some chords to the 6/8 time signature, and added a bluesy bridge. The song was inspired by the incidental music for a BBC television program, Europa-The Titled and the Untitled, which aired on 7 January 1969; Harrison wrote the song that night and performed the song for the other Beatles the following morning. More here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Me_Mine

Don't run to your death
Animus

Post by Animus »

mensa-maniac wrote:So to condense Animus's post down to one word, it would be Confidence! And you can't beat that!

But, how many people possess true confidence in themselves. I do, and I have no education to speak of, other than a semester in college and two diplomas.

Everyone who risks themselves to post their opinions, theories, ideas, or facts, are smart enough to do so. Smart enough to share themselves which could benefit others. Smart enough to realize they risk themselves, but confident enough to handle opposition.

It's the confidence you hold for yourself that credits you with moving forward regardless of what anyone says in opposition to your ideas.
It's not confidence. Confidence is the illusion created by the narcissist. There have been two schools of thought on the root of narcissism; insecurity and self-esteem. I say both are false, both are not very philosophically interesting in their clinical definition. Narcissism is defined as a sense of self-entitlement, whether that is feeling intellectually superior or worthy of various riches, the central element is the sense of entitlement and general lack of effort. A great book spanning the discussion of narcissism is The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in The Age of Entitlement.

Knowledge is not wisdom. You can have a multitude of degrees and not be wise. Nor is knowledge is useless in the pursuit of wisdom. The fundamental difference between knowing and being wise is a transformation of self. To know something and keep it compartmentalized at a distance makes one unwise. Wisdom is integration of knowledge and self. If all a person has is facts available for recall, then they depend on that recollection. As such in any given situation an individual will need to recall many ethical and epistemic facts. However, if an individual synthesizes the basic epistemic/moral law from facts and becomes this synthesis, embodies it. Rewrites their "self" according to it. They are wise and able to respond in truth without recollection of knowledge. Generally wisdom comes with age which because its rarely realized that one can change. Change is often forced by life circumstances beyond rational apprehension of the individual. In a fuzzy-logic kind of way.

Edit: I should add that in addition to having to recall facts, an individual relying heavily on recollection of facts is also distorted by the addition of a false self.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Animus

I agree with most of what you say, but you're adding more to narcissism than it really is, the dictionary doesn't list half of what you list about narcissism.

Confidence means a feeling of assurance, esp of self-assurance, it is the state or quality of being certain, so any narcissist person could be genuinely confident in themselves!
Animus

Post by Animus »

Dictionaries are there for the express purpose of looking up a basic definition. They don't expound on the subject. At most they will tell you that the word originates with Narcissus.

If you want to take it to the root you'd have to go down to the ego. Clinicians, however, are not interested in truth as much as adaptivity to the environment. So what they call pathological and healthy narcissism is confined to achieving that goal. In this case it is not unhealthy to have self-confidence, it is the sense of entitlement that is considered unhealthy. Hence the subtitle of the book "Living in the Age of Entitlement". The authors make a distinction between self-love, self-acceptance, self-confidence and self-esteem. I think the fact is that it doesn't matter what terminology you use, what they are trying to point to is something people ignore as part of their own mind. So it becomes distorted into a greedy sense of entitlement "I, Me, Mine" rather than acceptance with one's situation. It is one thing to accept who you are, what your capabilities are, your faults and face them squarely, this is healthy. On the other hand to assume that you should be something great, that you deserve better on principle of your very existence. Then that gets into unhealthy narcissism. This is, again, why I say that narcissism in a meaningful sense is just the sense of entitlement. In the absence of this, if you have acceptance rather than denial of reality, there is no need to invoke any terms to denote non-pathological states. But we could use terms like Buddha-nature or Enlightenment. Because even the demand for existence to be nicer than it is, is narcissistic. People have this sense of "Reality is unfair", well what is fair? Is fair based on what we desire, what we would prefer to be the case? Only in the limited human way. Humans fashion all manner of idols to resolve this conflict between how they want things to be and how they actually are, a way to distort their perception into a far more pleasing one. In Christianity it is called "Denial of God" or simply Idolatry, which St. Paul would say stems from our "Sinful Nature". In Genius dialect its simply caused by "Ego". Flights of fancy, fantasy, vain philosophy. So here as before, the narcissistic trait is one of entitlement; such and such ought to be the case because "I" say so.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

when the word genius is used on this forum, it is used more in the context of spiritual rationality, and the creativity that is born from enlightenment. It is not used to refer to some sort of scientific polymath or something like that.
Kunga

Post by Kunga »

Dear Average Person...
I have to wear dark sunglasses, when i read this form :)
Carmel

Post by Carmel »

mensa-maniac:

I agree with most of what you say, but you're adding more to narcissism than it really is, the dictionary doesn't list half of what you list about narcissism.

Carmel:

I think what he was describing in that checklist of 9 traits was Narcisstic Personality Disorder(NPD) which is quite a different thing than simple narcissism. People can have a healthy level of narcissism, but NPD goes far beyond that. It is a psychological pathology, a debilitating disorder.
mensa-maniac

Post by mensa-maniac »

Thankyou for clearing that up Carmel.

I admit to being narcissistic, but certainly not overboard, and only possess a couple or three of what Animus has listed.

Upon first reading this thread, it was intimidating but nothing I couldn't handle. Contemplated ignoring it altogether, but realized a response was needed, so obliged the writer.
Dan Rowden

Post by Dan Rowden »

I'm not much interested in feeding trolls.