jelly fish

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
paco

jelly fish

Post by paco »

I am going crazy just reading these posts! I want to know 'what is ulitmate reality?'
I am illiterate
Cahoot

Re: jelly fish

Post by Cahoot »

Hello paco.

Reality can be relative or absolute (ultimate).

Relative reality is impermanent. Ultimate reality is permanent.

Impermanent is subject to change. Ultimate reality does not change.

Thoughts, emotions, your body, perceptions, craziness, the weather, the world, stars, and so on ... all change.

Some take this a step further and say that what changes is unreal, and what does not change is real.

Know what does not change and you know ultimate reality. But, you have to know it for yourself, because words also change.
paco

Post by paco »

Hello, Cahoot...
I am illiterate
Steven Coyle

EE

Post by Steven Coyle »

the moon in a puddle reflects.
SPLASH!
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Rather than read, think. Rather than want, do.
paco

Post by paco »

I don't always think, but I know who I am.
I am illiterate
paco

Post by paco »

I had it, but I lost it, Steven!
Last edited by paco on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am illiterate
paco

Re: EE

Post by paco »

Steven Coyle wrote:the moon in a puddle reflects.
SPLASH!
Thus, the sun melts.

Hurray!
Last edited by paco on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am illiterate
jackswift

Post by jackswift »

i am not a scholar by any means, I only hope that in the years too come people will realize that we as a race can not be broken down into groups. We are one race all headed for the same end. It is your choice as a person to decide how you live , how you die is only the result of all choices made by men no different than ourselves.
skipair

Post by skipair »

paco wrote:I want to know 'what is ulitmate reality?'
Ultimate = objective, which doesn't exist except through assumption, and except for this goat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CvUjLg ... re=related
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

skipair wrote:
Ultimate = objective, which doesn't exist except through assumption, and except for this goat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06CvUjLg ... re=related
Growing up, we had some neighbors that raised goats for their milk, meat etc. Leashing them is a speedier way to domesticate them, also the goats (by their very nature) will change their vocals to get attention to their predicament .. being leashed, tethered ain't no fun. But it's a splendid way to keep the grass manicured, weeds in check and the soil well-fertilized, to boot.

Spare the rod - spoil the child, Animal Husbandry 101.
Don't run to your death
skipair

Post by skipair »

Tomas, interesting the different strategies animals and humans have for attention in one form or another. Maybe different tones of voice they've learned works...I have a theory that people who are extra spastic sometimes but not others, or people who trip a lot (...as in stumble), or spill food on themselves a lot, are habits from childhood that gave them parental attention.

Anyway, I'm assuming that when paco says 'jelly fish' he actually means 'goat'. I like to season my burgers with garlic/onion powder, salt, pepper, packed with goat cheese and worchester (sp) sause.
Nick

Post by Nick »

skipair wrote:
Ultimate = objective, which doesn't exist except through assumption
Skip,

Being that you made an objective statement here, how can he take you seriously?
skipair

Post by skipair »

Hi Nick,
Nick Treklis wrote:Being that you made an objective statement here, how can he take you seriously?
Yeah, he shouldn't. As I see it there's nothing really to say about reality, except for stating objectively that objective statements about it are false...including this one. Reality is a nothing.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I take it you don't adhere to the law of non-contradiction, but ignoring that for the moment; on the contrary, Ultimate Reality is everything, not nothing. The moment we exclude any single entity from reality, we are now just talking about a piece of reality. Also, when you say reality is nothing; what exactly do you mean? If I take that statement as you meaning that reality is non-existent, it would be impossible for us to be conscious and for things to arise, but we are and they do, so how can you go about denying this? Wouldn't this kind of denial be the ideal definition of insanity?
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

skipair wrote:Tomas, interesting the different strategies animals and humans have for attention in one form or another. Maybe different tones of voice they've learned works...I have a theory that people who are extra spastic sometimes but not others, or people who trip a lot (...as in stumble), or spill food on themselves a lot, are habits from childhood that gave them parental attention.

Human beings ain't only just humans, you know. They got animals living inside of them, too.
Don't run to your death
skipair

Post by skipair »

Nick Treklis wrote:I take it you don't adhere to the law of non-contradiction, but ignoring that for the moment; on the contrary, Ultimate Reality is everything, not nothing. The moment we exclude any single entity from reality, we are now just talking about a piece of reality. Also, when you say reality is nothing; what exactly do you mean? If I take that statement as you meaning that reality is non-existent, it would be impossible for us to be conscious and for things to arise, but we are and they do, so how can you go about denying this? Wouldn't this kind of denial be the ideal definition of insanity?
The way you're defining Ultimate Reality (as everything, as experience), I agree that saying it's also nothing makes no sense.

Above I defined ultimate reality as objective reality, because I think that's what most people read it as: THE perspective on what reality really is...which I think is a bullshit concept because it invariable involves exclusion, assumption, or attitude/feeling, none of which get to the root...which is the realization that it's intellectually rootless, meaningless, without ultimate context.

In other words, reality is something that goes without saying, which is why I say it's a nothing.
Nick

Post by Nick »

skipair wrote:Above I defined ultimate reality as objective reality, because I think that's what most people read it as: THE perspective on what reality really is...which I think is a bullshit concept because it invariable involves exclusion, assumption, or attitude/feeling, none of which get to the root...which is the realization that it's intellectually rootless, meaningless, without ultimate context.
You mean like trying to picture reality as something you can see and feel? I agree that when people initially try to come up with some concept of reality they try to picture it like they would picture any other finite thing because that's what they're used to, it's the only thing they can wrap their mind around. Is that what you're getting at?
skipair wrote:In other words, reality is something that goes without saying, which is why I say it's a nothing.
Reality is, but it is formless. Is that what you're saying?
skipair

Post by skipair »

Nick Treklis wrote:You mean like trying to picture reality as something you can see and feel? I agree that when people initially try to come up with some concept of reality they try to picture it like they would picture any other finite thing because that's what they're used to, it's the only thing they can wrap their mind around. Is that what you're getting at?
skipair wrote:In other words, reality is something that goes without saying, which is why I say it's a nothing.
Nick: Reality is, but it is formless. Is that what you're saying?
Pretty much. I'm saying that through understanding formlessness you arrive back to an unintellectual beginning where the question of reality is redundant and meaningless because it's none other than whatever is already happening. Saying anything about it as if from a removed or objective stance is primetime mental masturbation...or IOW a nothing.

Using "ultimate reality" as an objective destination is problematic because people seem to find a way to make something more out of it than it is...something greater and beyond...they don't understand the definition. It has the tendency to give people hope in answering questions like why are we here, why are things existing, and when many people talk about Truth there is the same vibe as when the religious talk about God.

It shouldn't have to be like that, but that's what I see, and think it's more useful to challenge, stimulate, and foster curiosity for clarity and understanding by never saying what is and only what isn't. Taking away where necessary and never adding.

There is no Truth!
Nick

Post by Nick »

skipair wrote:Pretty much. I'm saying that through understanding formlessness you arrive back to an unintellectual beginning where the question of reality is redundant and meaningless because it's none other than whatever is already happening.
Being that this statement itself an intellectual understanding of some kind, why do you use the word unintellectual to describe it?
skipair wrote:Saying anything about it as if from a removed or objective stance is primetime mental masturbation...or IOW a nothing.
Give me an example of a statement about reality you consider mental masturbation. Would you consider the statement that reality is infinite, unbound, and formless to be mental masturbation? Also could you define what you mean by mental masturbation? I get a bad feeling that whenever me and you discuss something we're never on the same page as far as definitions go!
skipair wrote:Using "ultimate reality" as an objective destination is problematic because people seem to find a way to make something more out of it than it is...something greater and beyond...they don't understand the definition.

I'm not sure who's using ultimate reality as a destination of some sort. Either way I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing if one conceives of reality as a destination of some sort. In fact, this kind of pursuit can serve as the platform by which many philosophers begin their path to understanding. Of course if they're lucky enough to uncover what is absolutely true, it will be far removed from what they initially conceived. The early stages of practicing philosophy are always a bit sloppy.
skipair wrote:It has the tendency to give people hope in answering questions like why are we here, why are things existing, and when many people talk about Truth there is the same vibe as when the religious talk about God.
What about understanding the nature causality and A=A? These things do answer those questions and are part of what one will uncover if they're lucky enough to gain an intellectual understanding of reality.
skipair wrote:It shouldn't have to be like that, but that's what I see, and think it's more useful to challenge, stimulate, and foster curiosity for clarity and understanding by never saying what is and only what isn't. Taking away where necessary and never adding.
If one is not destined to uncover the true nature of reality, it doesn't matter what you say or don't say. They'll project their false thinking on to whatever is placed in front of them.
skipair wrote:There is no Truth!
Then how do you explain all the ignorance and lies to be found?
skipair

Post by skipair »

Nick Treklis wrote:Being that this statement itself an intellectual understanding of some kind, why do you use the word unintellectual to describe it?
Unintellectual in the sense that "reality" is seen to be an irrelevant topic, and abstract analysis of any kind is useless except for amusement and worldy ends.

Give me an example of a statement about reality you consider mental masturbation. Would you consider the statement that reality is infinite, unbound, and formless to be mental masturbation? Also could you define what you mean by mental masturbation? I get a bad feeling that whenever me and you discuss something we're never on the same page as far as definitions go!
I consider all statements about reality to be mental masturbation unless they say, "it's not that, and here's why". And mental masturbation is any analysis or conclusions from a premise that a person has basically made up.

Definitions, communications, words....arghhhh, meh. :)

skipair wrote:Using "ultimate reality" as an objective destination is problematic because people seem to find a way to make something more out of it than it is...something greater and beyond...they don't understand the definition.
Nick: I'm not sure who's using ultimate reality as a destination of some sort. Either way I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing if one conceives of reality as a destination of some sort. In fact, this kind of pursuit can serve as the platform by which many philosophers begin their path to understanding.
I'm all for wanting to answer fundamental questions, and if conclusively answering them, or concusively finding they are unanswerable means ultimate reality, great. But the focus should be in the baby steps and not the end, ESPECIALLY not as the end presenting an experience of some sort. Knowing the truth is advisable, not special. It doesn't make you happy, healthy, or wealthy. It's just knowledge, and its application to life is just as messy as anything that came before it.

Of course if they're lucky enough to uncover what is absolutely true, it will be far removed from what they initially conceived. The early stages of practicing philosophy are always a bit sloppy.
I think there are many absolute truths, not one overriding one.

Nick: What about understanding the nature causality and A=A? These things do answer those questions and are part of what one will uncover if they're lucky enough to gain an intellectual understanding of reality.
what are your answers for those?

Nick: Then how do you explain all the ignorance and lies to be found?
That's an unfounded connection that assumes its existence. I can't explain it, not really.
Nick

Post by Nick »

skipair wrote:Unintellectual in the sense that "reality" is seen to be an irrelevant topic, and abstract analysis of any kind is useless except for amusement and worldy ends.
The only reason you view reality through the dualistic prism of amusement and non-amusement, or meaning and non-meaning, is because it provided your life with the latter. The intellect is not limited by the way you choose to see things.
skipair wrote:I consider all statements about reality to be mental masturbation unless they say, "it's not that, and here's why". And mental masturbation is any analysis or conclusions from a premise that a person has basically made up.

Definitions, communications, words....arghhhh, meh. :)
Since you continue to ignore the contradictory nature of your statements about reality, it's no wonder your philosophy boils down to argh and meh! :)
skipair wrote:I'm all for wanting to answer fundamental questions, and if conclusively answering them, or concusively finding they are unanswerable means ultimate reality, great.
You could have fooled me!
skipair wrote:But the focus should be in the baby steps and not the end
This is bullshit. There's nothing wrong with taking careful baby steps, but where's the rule that says one can't focus on all aspects of their goal, both the steps and the end?
skipair wrote:ESPECIALLY not as the end presenting an experience of some sort.
If one has unrealistic expectations about what they'll experience upon achieving their goals, it's not going to make any difference as to whether they achieve it or not. And if they're not satisfied with what they find, then I guess they should have choose a different goal.
skipair wrote:Knowing the truth is advisable, not special. It doesn't make you happy, healthy, or wealthy.
That depends on how you're defining these things. Either way, who gives a shit?
skipair wrote:It's just knowledge, and its application to life is just as messy as anything that came before it.
What's your point? If and how one applies knowledge to their life says little about the knowledge itself. The ego's great at avoiding responsibility.
skipair wrote:
Of course if they're lucky enough to uncover what is absolutely true, it will be far removed from what they initially conceived. The early stages of practicing philosophy are always a bit sloppy.
I think there are many absolute truths, not one overriding one.
Ok?
skipair wrote:
Nick: What about understanding the nature causality and A=A? These things do answer those questions and are part of what one will uncover if they're lucky enough to gain an intellectual understanding of reality.
what are your answers for those?
They are the answers. What these answers do for you and how they affect you isn't something I'm really concerned about.
Nick: Then how do you explain all the ignorance and lies to be found?
That's an unfounded connection that assumes its existence. I can't explain it, not really.
What meaning do ignorance and lies have if there is no truth? Ignorance of what? Lies about what? Seriously, do you have any intention of taking responsibility for all the contradictions in your statements?
skipair

Post by skipair »

Nick Treklis wrote:The only reason you view reality through the dualistic prism of amusement and non-amusement, or meaning and non-meaning, is because it provided your life with the latter.
No, I view things dualistically because non-dual reality doesn't exist. When things are seen to exist only by conceptual definition, we don't experience some formless reality, we just experience a thing's impermenance.

Have I used this to my own advantage and amusement? Fuck yeah.

This is bullshit. There's nothing wrong with taking careful baby steps, but where's the rule that says one can't focus on all aspects of their goal, both the steps and the end?
I hear you man, I just can't relate. My goal was never REALLY "figure out reality". That doesn't really mean anything to me. It was always, "figure out particular things that I'm not clear about."

What meaning do ignorance and lies have if there is no truth? Ignorance of what? Lies about what? Seriously, do you have any intention of taking responsibility for all the contradictions in your statements?
As I see it there are tons of mini-truths and lies. Like, if A is = to A and only A and someone says it's also equal to B, then it's a lie. Or if a person make an assumption to draw a conclusion, it's at the least unfounded. I guess I would call those relative truths and lies, and I agree there is nothing more important than to distinguish them.

My qualm is with the idea that after all that is done there is a one absolute truth, one ultimate reality. There isn't. A label slapped on WHAT? Meaning applied to WHAT? There is only understanding how the mini-truths/lies work.
divine focus

Post by divine focus »

Nick Treklis wrote:
skipair wrote:But the focus should be in the baby steps and not the end
There is no end. The 'baby step' is the end! Why speculate about or anticipate what's after that?
eliasforum.org/digests.html
Nick

Post by Nick »

skipair wrote:No, I view things dualistically because non-dual reality doesn't exist. When things are seen to exist only by conceptual definition, we don't experience some formless reality, we just experience a thing's impermenance.
There's many different ways to view things dualistically, I was speaking specifically of the way you view reality through the dualistic prism of amusement/boredom. This is your choice, and it need not be viewed this way.
skipair wrote:Have I used this to my own advantage and amusement? Fuck yeah.
Who else's advantage would you use it for?
skipair wrote:I hear you man, I just can't relate. My goal was never REALLY "figure out reality". That doesn't really mean anything to me. It was always, "figure out particular things that I'm not clear about."
Why are you getting so defensive? I'm not questioning or attacking your goals, just your reasoning.
skipair wrote:My qualm is with the idea that after all that is done there is a one absolute truth, one ultimate reality. There isn't. A label slapped on WHAT? Meaning applied to WHAT?
I agree, there are many absolute truths to be uncovered; but multiple realties? That's an impossibility the way I define reality: every thing, every when, imaginable or unimaginable (no entity excluded). If you are defining reality as anything less than this, it's irrelevant to anything I'm talking about.
skipair wrote:There is only understanding how the mini-truths/lies work.
It seems like you're shadow boxing here. Understanding leads to enlightenment, simple as that. Try not to project any preconceived notions on to the term enlightenment and just understand it for what it is.