Superherology

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Trevor Salyzyn

Superherology

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Superman's someone who takes "WWJD" a little bit too seriously. What about the other Superheroes? I'm sure I could reverse engineer most of those costumes with the power of allegory.
A mindful man needs few words.
Blair

Re: Superherology

Post by Blair »

Well, obviously Batman is going through a dark night of the soul.
Trevor Salyzyn

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

The Thing is having an identity crisis. Man, woman... it?
A mindful man needs few words.
Sarge_Jr

Post by Sarge_Jr »

Its a case of having abilities to truely help or save other people, or eradicate evil for that matter. The whole superhero moral seems to be based around the fact that somebody needs to step up to "evil" (Which would need a definition.. If you dont like your neighbour, he could be "evil" for all you care.) regardless of risks or collateral, self harm or other incidents, in a blind attempt to do "good". (Which also needs a definition. I don't fully agree with parliment but that doesnt mean it should be eradicated)

Super heroes in reality probably wouldn't last long. All physics and impossibilities aside, there may be some benefits from having an invincible wo/man flying around stopping "Evil" and doing "good". I think if we ever had an invincible wo/man walking on earth, s/he would go straight to the labs for scientific testing. What worrys me and has worried me about superheroes is that the moral can be taken the wrong way, especially by naíve eyes. I don't think any parent would like their 7 year old child running into the street stopping busses in his path because he's superman and he's invincible, and he's doing "good". Sure, gotta love the idea of one iconic person that everybody can look up to (something we all need right now, most of all I think.)

Nice post. Got me thinking a bit. This is some of the things I considered, anyway. Liable to be incorrect or wrong completely.
Blair

Post by Blair »

You are not wrong, as such, just that superheroes are based on a opaque transference of knowledge from beyond the 3rd dimension.

The Spirit is in denial of his own death.

The Hulk (or rather Banner) is struggling with a gigantically out of control ego.

Spiderman is descending toward a reptile or animal rebirth, infected with a lower material consciousness.
Robert

Post by Robert »

The arch enemies of superheros are worth a mention, mostly for their manipulative sociopathic behaviour.
BMcGilly07

Post by BMcGilly07 »

Trevor Salyzyn wrote:The Thing is having an identity crisis. Man, woman... it?
I think it's more than that, with the Thing's overly masculine tough guy exterior, it looks to me that masculinity is being equated and relegated by the subconscious to helplessly rage against the ugliness and finality of finitude. He's constantly pining with wanting to lose his hardened exterior in favor of the otherworldly angelic nature of the feminine.