You're smarter than I

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ignius

You're smarter than I

Post by Ignius »

I often think of other people as smarter than I am. I feel that this is very commendable and something useful -- I ask a lot of questions and I really listen to what the other person has to say. I don't think that I know better, and I don't go around telling people that they're wrong because their opinion differs from my own.

What do you think of this?
Trevor Salyzyn

Re: You're smarter than I

Post by Trevor Salyzyn »

Why do you think it's commendable and useful?
A mindful man needs few words.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I thought it was obvious. Whatever. The point is that I can't help it when I think that everyone else is smarter, so what do you think of that?

Btw, why do you want to know why I think it's commendable and useful - the more interesting question is: why do you think it is or isn't commendable and useful... For me.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ignius wrote:I thought it was obvious. Whatever. The point is that I can't help it when I think that everyone else is smarter, so what do you think of that?

Btw, why do you want to know why I think it's commendable and useful - the more interesting question is: why do you think it is or isn't commendable and useful... For me.
It would be commendable if it meant you learned from other people and were able to sift out what was worthwhile.

BTW, I seldom believe it when someone says he thinks everyone else is smarter than he is. I think instead that his purpose is to get you to believe that and see him as not being a threat and let your guard down. His motivation is misguided, though. It's not that ohers see him as a threat. Rather they are most likely annoyed by him because he is tries to be ingratiating.
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

I think it is wiser to be open to the possibility of being incorrect, while another is correct, which therefore makes you a bit more open and available in discussion, rather than believing that you are somehow indefinitely less intelligent than other people. Such a conclusion may seal your own fate as far as your own personal growth is concerned.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

If you really do believe other people are smarter than you are all the time, that can become self-fulfilling. It shouldn't have a life of its own. You need to ask yourself why it is important to you to rank yourself and others as to a quality as ill-defined as "smartness." Having confidence in your own abilities is the best way to get the most out of them, I think, as long as you stay honest with yourself.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Well, other people seem to know more than me (or is it: more than "I"?). I've never really tried in school (though, I do want this to change, hence, the "motivation" thread), and whenever I hear other people talk, I get fascinated by what's being said, etc... But I hardly ever have anything to add, because I'm always listening and thinking.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Btw, what does it mean to be honest with myself? For instance, when I think that I'm honest with myself (about my life and the direction things are heading...), I get depressed, but then I think, is that really honesty? So, once again, I become honest with myself and I build myself up. Etc, etc, etc... It's almost like a vicious cycle. So, I really don't know, you tell me, what does it mean to be honest with yourself?
Relo

Post by Relo »

Your fascination most likely has nothing to do with what the other person is saying.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Then my fascination has to do with what exactly? (tell me, I need to know... Yes, I'll finally know!)
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

I don't recall talking with you before, but may have. Are you female? It's common for women to subjugate themselves intellectually. Evolution saw fit to do this to reduce friction within the female, and between them and their male partners. Whether any given individual is in fact inferior or not is a point of fact worth knowing, at least for oneself. But people can become more intelligent.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I don't recall talking with you before, but may have.
No. I wouldn't know. Why is that important?
Are you female? It's common for women to subjugate themselves intellectually. Evolution saw fit to do this to reduce friction within the female, and between them and their male partners.
No, but I have been mistaken for gay before. Not sure if that helps.
Whether any given individual is in fact inferior or not is a point of fact worth knowing, at least for oneself.
You think so? How can you tell?
But people can become more intelligent.
This is exactly why I'm here. My first question on this site was: "How does one become more intelligent?"... Heh.

Anyways, you haven't answered my question. So, please...
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Why do you think it's commendable and useful?
It's a great sign of respect. Wouldn't you agree?
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

R: I don't recall talking with you before, but may have.
I: No. I wouldn't know. Why is that important?
Because i'd rather not make a mistake or insult through forgetting a previous interaction.
R: Are you female? It's common for women to subjugate themselves intellectually. Evolution saw fit to do this to reduce friction within the female, and between them and their male partners.
I: No, but I have been mistaken for gay before. Not sure if that helps.
Being intellectually passive and mistaken for gay can tie together.
R: Whether any given individual is in fact inferior or not is a point of fact worth knowing, at least for oneself.
I: You think so? How can you tell?
Knowing how intelligent one is is an important part of knowing oneself, though not as important as knowing how conscious one is. Knowing oneself helps one plan one's path to more intelligence and consciousness.
R: But people can become more intelligent.
I: This is exactly why I'm here. My first question on this site was: "How does one become more intelligent?"... Heh.

Anyways, you haven't answered my question. So, please...
Answered?
Unidian

Post by Unidian »

I think it's fashionable and likely to get you a certain amount of respect from fairly simple-minded people. Isn't yours essentially the societally-approved posture these days? "I have something to learn from everyone," etc.

A more demanding view, in my opinion, would be to be realistic about your own thinking capacity, whatever it may be. In my own case, I'm well aware that I am a more consistent thinker than the majority of people, and I make no apologies about it for the sake of fashion. I also know that there are those superior to myself in this area, although they are relatively few.

Such statements won't win me any popularity contests, and never have. But being concerned primarily with quality of thought, popularity contests aren't high on my list of priorities.

So, in short, I'd encourage you to examine your own psychology and try to determine whether your attitude is coming from honesty or from a desire to be inoffensive.
I live in a tub.
Celchuty

Post by Celchuty »

Unidian wrote: A more demanding view, in my opinion, would be to be realistic about your own thinking capacity, whatever it may be. In my own case, I'm well aware that I am a more consistent thinker than the majority of people, and I make no apologies about it for the sake of fashion. I also know that there are those superior to myself in this area, although they are relatively few.

Such statements won't win me any popularity contests, and never have. But being concerned primarily with quality of thought, popularity contests aren't high on my list of priorities.
Maybe those popularity contests aren't, but interacting with people is where a lot of learning comes from, at least for me. If I continuously told people "Hey I'm a genius, watching all your interactions has shown me [insert revelation here] about life, liberty, etc..." people wouldn't want to hang out with me and I wouldn't be able to learn those revelations.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Celchuty wrote:Maybe those popularity contests aren't, but interacting with people is where a lot of learning comes from, at least for me. If I continuously told people "Hey I'm a genius, watching all your interactions has shown me [insert revelation here] about life, liberty, etc..." people wouldn't want to hang out with me and I wouldn't be able to learn those revelations
And the ones that would hang out with you would be all too ready to nail you for your flaws and weaknesses.