Oversimplification

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ignius

Oversimplification

Post by Ignius »

What are some of the pro's and con's?

Thanks
Carl G

Re: Oversimplification

Post by Carl G »

No pro.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Why would you say that? Why not?
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

What use do you think there could be for anything overdone?
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Overdone - meaning -> complex? Therefore, it has only pro's! But you said: "No pros." Or, perhaps, you meant: overdone as in overly simplified, but then, it isn't over-done, rather it's under-done. Heh.

Seriously, though, why don't you answer the actual question. Come on now. I've seen your posts, I know you're smart!

I for one, would say that I understand some things on a complex level, but it's hard to explain things in it's complexity, so we simplify, but that means, the other person may not understand what we're actually thinking, because it's overly-simplified.

Do you understand? Good. So, please...
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

An overcooked hamburger is not more complex than a well cooked one. An oversimplified plan is not more complex than an efficient one. If anything these are less complex in that through their excess they lack something. Over means excessive.

Again, if you think there are pros to anything that is overdone, please say what they are.
brokenhead

Post by brokenhead »

Ignius is missing the concept of "optimal." The optimal way to do something most often, but not always, lies between two extremes. People that miss this usually take this as being "middle of the road," "mediocre," "neither this nor that," "too willing to compromise," or some such nonsense. This invariably means they have an overblown sense of their own importance, coupled with a general lack of ability to efficiently analyze a situation. They usually end up tipping a situation out of balance by getting hopelessly entangled with it, more often than not making things worse for themselves and everybody around them.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Carl G, an overcooked hamburger maybe healthier because the excess heat may kill off any potentially dangerous bacteria. Anyway, for some, a well-done burger IS overcooked. Well-done/overcooked are both preferential. Meaning: different strokes for different folks. I find this important. This is part of the reason for why I'd like others to answer the original question, for a change.

Here's what I wrote:
Oversimplification - What are some of the pro's and con's?
And here's your response:
No pro.
I don't consider that being a well-done answer. It's grossly undercooked and the bacterial infestation must have developed their own space-ship to the spoon. LOL.

I'll give you 1pt for humor, but that's it!

Btw, does it matter: "pros" or "pro's"? Anyway, you knew what I meant.
Again, if you think there are pros to anything that is overdone, please say what they are.
Here's one: antibiotics destroy the bacterial infection earlier (efficient), but the doctor normally instructs the patient to take it for much longer, because it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, instead of me having to answer my own question, why don't you take a crack at it, since I'm the original questioner and the founder of this thread? I want to get other peoples' answers to measure the size over my own views. Interesting discussion shall sprout thereafter.

Dammit, it's still ironic. Seriously, stop it!!!

LOOK -> If I start thinking about the question, then I'll inevitably answer my own questions and they'll be no need for this. So, please, ...Can you please just stick with the actual question? Here it is: What are some pros and cons of oversimplification? And why? Thanks!
Animus

Post by Animus »

Given that everything is an abstraction of some sort, everything is simplified in these abstractions.

But lets look at a concrete example.

There is a spectrum of behaviour between males and females of a given species (human for this). There is greater diversity amongst females than exists between the stereotypical male and stereotypical female. The oversimplified stereotypes give this sense of strict delineation in behavioural patterns. But comparing Anne Coulter to Marilyn Monroe demonstrates quite a wide gap amongst females. Then compare Rosanne Bar with John Candy, or China (wrestler) with Chris Benoit (wrestler). There is, in reality, a lot of diversity between individual behaviour, male or female.

Another such oversimplification is political parties. Conservative vs Liberal, Republican vs Democrat, Non-intelligent vs Intelligent, etc... all these are just to assist in streamlining the thinking process, but with a huge cost.... ultimate Truth.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

All I got from that... Was this:

"But comparing Anne Coulter to Marilyn Monroe demonstrates quite a wide gap amongst females."

Hee-hee

Would you consider this as more evidence towards my unintellectual past? It's time for an intellectual beginning.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

Ignius,

Your example hamburger is well-done, not overdone. Whether one likes medium-rare or well-done, nobody likes their meat overdone. Over means excessively. Same with the antibiotics; carrying on with them after all need has past would be over-prescription. Does not help. Excessive. Over means excessive; more than is needed, more than is beneficial, more than is wanted. No pro.
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

As Animus says, we simplify things all the time with our abstract processes. We wouldn't be able to plan for the future and get anything done if it wasn't for our brain's ability to simplify matters.

So it becomes a question of whether you allow your mind to get fooled by simplifications. It shouldn't be a problem for anyone whose mind is intelligent and active. It isn't hard to discern the strengths and weaknesses of the simplification process and to factor them into one's deliberations.

-
Relo

Post by Relo »

Just move, that will help, it hurts to sit for too long.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Instead of "oversimplification", I should have typed: "simplification". The thing is, this place has overly-simplified things from my first arrival, I got used to it, and now...

So, who's going to get the ball rolling? (and answer my question)
David Quinn

Post by David Quinn »

It's already been answered.

-
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I fixed the question.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

Actually, David gave a good answer.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

David always gives a good answer. That's the problem.
Shahrazad

Post by Shahrazad »

You mean, you would rather he gave you bad answers?
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I'd rather he gave me better answers.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Ignius wrote:I'd rather he gave me better answers.
Ask for a face-to-face audience with him.

PS - His Holiness has a busy schedule.
Don't run to your death
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

This is crazy. It's all SOOOOOO crazy! WTF?