Good Books that have changed your life...

Discussion of the nature of Ultimate Reality and the path to Enlightenment.
Ignius

Good Books that have changed your life...

Post by Ignius »

Is this possible? Can a book literally change the way your mind works, etc...? Have you experienced this? If so, I'd like you to name the book along with how it changed you, etc... Thanks!
Animus

Re: Good Books that have changed your life...

Post by Animus »

Uh...

Psychology by Peter Gray and Developmental Psychology by David Shaffer

These books changed my life because they provided me with a solid understanding of the procedures of Psychology and the facts and the evidence about human Psychology.

There is some amazing stuff in the field, for example Milgram's and Zimbardo's experiments.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I have several books by Peter Gray. Plus, my sister is in her 2nd yr of Uni., majoring in psychology, so there's more material for me. But that's not what I meant, I meant books written by people who've gone through all the studying and have found new and amazing things (such as: ideas, living life, etc). So, what have you learned about psychology that has changed your life? Instead of reading about data and various studies, etc... I'd rather read about what that stuff has meant to people, etc... Does that make sense?
Animus

Post by Animus »

Ignius wrote:I have several books by Peter Gray. Plus, my sister is in her 2nd yr of Uni., majoring in psychology, so there's more material for me. But that's not what I meant, I meant books written by people who've gone through all the studying and have found new and amazing things (such as: ideas, living life, etc). So, what have you learned about psychology that has changed your life? Instead of reading about data and various studies, etc... I'd rather read about what that stuff has meant to people, etc... Does that make sense?
Well I thought of Brain-Wise by Patricia Churchland, but I found Psychology much more influential.

When I studied Psychology (those two books) I did it for myself, not for university, and rather than looking to understand how other people work I was more interested in how I work, so I learned a lot. Particularly about how I perceive, of course, Wisdom of the Infinite by DQ was a good read too on that front, I found WOTI tied it all together for me.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

What is it about psychology that you find so interesting? Specifically. I've read a bit of it, but I haven't really gaining a much better understanding of myself or of other people, etc... It all seems very elementary. Any advice? Books? Thanks!
Animus

Post by Animus »

Ignius wrote:What is it about psychology that you find so interesting? Specifically. I've read a bit of it, but I haven't really gaining a much better understanding of myself or of other people, etc... It all seems very elementary. Any advice? Books? Thanks!
Well I found Stanley Milgram's experiments to be intriguing. And of course Philip Zimbardo's Stanford Prison experiment. I can reflect on my own behaviour and mental life and see that I've been persuaded in the past by these psychological forces.

I think there is a strong correlation between a person being a psychologist and being interested in the nature of the human mind. A lot of great quotes from Minsky, Skinner, Russel, Freud, etc...

In particular I find Joshua Greene's work at Harvard on Morality and Consequentialism to be very interesting. Not because its important for self-reflection, but he makes some excellent arguments.

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~jgreene/
maestro

Post by maestro »

Ignius wrote:Is this possible? Can a book literally change the way your mind works, etc...? Have you experienced this? If so, I'd like you to name the book along with how it changed you, etc... Thanks!
Thought as a system by David Bohm: Provided a very deep insight into the functioning of thought.

In search of the miraculous: It has good parts mixed with fluff, provided insight into the behavior of humanity and the mind.
Carl G

Post by Carl G »

...and the truth shall set you free and The Biggest Secret, by Cory Duchesne. Both contain eyeopening evidence of a conspiracy of an international group of businesspeople to rule the world. Compelling stuff.
Cory Duchesne

Post by Cory Duchesne »

Cory Duchesne, David Icke......what's the difference, right?

Both psychotic, paranoid, megalomaniacs.

Get it? Get it?

Fuck you, Carl. :)
Ryan Rudolph

Post by Ryan Rudolph »

Best book ever: Ignorance of the finite by Ryan Rudolph...

Synopsis: Up close examination of the confused trials and tribulations of teenager Ryan Rudolph, through the eyes of Ryan Rudolph, so the reader can be certain there is absolutely no bias at all...
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

LOL

I started reading "The Perfect Crime" - By: Jean Baudrillard

It has stuff like: "Given the mass of evidence, there is no plausible hypothesis but reality. Given the mass of evidence to the contrary, there is no solution but illusion."

*sign*

I suppose, that makes one think for one's self. Though, one may be just as wrong!
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

I want to read a book and I want it to make me smarter. Please don't destroy this...
Relo

Post by Relo »

Who the fuck made up intellect, if I ever wanted to punch someone in the face it would be them.
Ignius

Post by Ignius »

Intellect wasn't made up. It either is or is not. You should know this by now.

Sighed,

Commity (spelling?) of intellectuals
arek4321

Post by arek4321 »

The True Story of The Bilderberg Group by Daniel Estulin

changed my life because everything i thought i knew about how the world works was a complete lie.

its actually scary what a group of the world's most powerful and rich people are doing.

also touches upon America's inner workings with the Council on Foreign Relations.

a real eye opener, the best word i can use to describe the feeling was shocked.

plus anotated bibliography after every chapter, and the last 3rd of the book is documented proof.